Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2019 7:45:42 PM EDT
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/02/11/as-first-kc-46s-arrive-altus-kicks-training-mission-into-gear/

The first KC-46A Pegasus arrived at Altus Air Force Base in Oklahoma Friday, launching a new phase in the 97th Air Mobility Wing’s journey to become the Air Force’s formal training unit for its newest tanker.

Altus officials said Friday that the 97th has constructed a new training center, fuselage trainer and hanger extensions since it was chosen nearly five years ago. And to teach hundreds of pilots, boom operators and maintainers each year what they need to know to operate the Pegasus, Altus is relying on a combination of simulators and instruction in the actual aircraft.

Altus is also adding more instructors to teach other airmen how to fly the KC-46, operate its refueling boom and maintain the aircraft.

Read the article
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]

NKAWTG
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I was offered a Sim instructor position on the C-17 several years ago.
Would have been a fun job but the pay was way lower than my current salary at the time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What a horrible, horrible place to be stationed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Only in the spring, summer, fall and winter.
The rest of the year it's OK,
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't the Air Force all set to buy an airbus tanker?  IIRC McCain stepped in and threw a fit and wanted a American made tanker?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I work there and it's been an interesting week so far. Still a lot of unknowns and a few oh-shits at this point, but it'll all get worked out eventually.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to C-141 Loadmaster school at Altus forty years ago. Hated the place, but friends that wound up getting stationed there really liked it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was browsing thread titles and this stuck out to me.  A sudden, piercing horrible feeling of dread like reading the paper and seeing a story with the name of your rapist, who is being released from prison.

My aspiring career was bored to death there.  I wanted nothing else to do with USAF after 1.5 years (of which I was probably there 8 months, not even consecutively) at that shithole.

I turned down 2 years in belgium because it would have extended my enlistment.  I believe altus was my unofficial punishment for daring to refuse to extend 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a horrible place when you have to go to Lawton to find something to do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wasn't the Air Force all set to buy an airbus tanker?  IIRC McCain stepped in and threw a fit and wanted a American made tanker?
View Quote
McCain stopped the initial KC-767 lease which was corrupt enough people went to jail.  The competition resulted in the MRTT being selected but the award was overturned by the GAO.  Boeing then won the following competition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hope they buy enough of them (or at least fund enough now) before a Dem gets in the WH.
View Quote
179 to replace over four hundred KC-135s.  So no, there aren’t enough ordered yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
We are getting them here in NH
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who said that? Who the fuck said that?  LOL

You should've grown up there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The most prominent feature on the map for Altus, OK is the golf course at the AFB.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

I could have made some money on this deal. But a certain asshole sold a bunch of stock without my permission.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for OT question but was anybody on Arfcom stationed there in the 70's?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

I could have made some money on this deal. But a certain asshole sold a bunch of stock without my permission.
View Quote
Yeah it’s really weird they did the 767 platform.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#21]
This new tanker is a "game changer" and is an entirely different from any other tanker design.
I am proud to be part of the Team that is assembling and building them in Everett Washington.
The unique capabilities of this amazing aircraft have only just begun.
Everyone will want one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haha

I spent years flying passengers into Lawton and doing overnights there.

I don't remember enjoying a single stay.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Tankers need to be operated in numbers.  When a strike aircraft is low on fuel they need a tanker NOW. A fleet of smaller tankers does that job a lot better than a fewer larger tankers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tankers need to be operated in numbers.  When a strike aircraft is low on fuel they need a tanker NOW. A fleet of smaller tankers does that job a lot better than a fewer larger tankers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

With the KC-46....does Boeing build them to the KC-46 specs and then the AF finishes them or does Boeing build everything as you see when it comes in?  Because they can build 5 777's a month vs. 2.5 767's a month at Boeing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
With the KC-46....does Boeing build them to the KC-46 specs and then the AF finishes them or does Boeing build everything as you see when it comes in?  Because they can build 5 777's a month vs. 2.5 767's a month at Boeing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Boeing builds them to basic specs on the assembly line, sends them to their own in-house modification center for installation of the boom and other equipment and delivers them to the AF ready to serve.

And they can crank out as many 767s as necessary. At one point they were building 5 747s a month as market conditions required, too. They rate of 2.5 per month is because that is what delivery schedules justify.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

It’s not weird that Boeing offered the AF what AF said it wanted.

They would have happily offered a 777 derivative if that best met what the RFP had specified.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Neat
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I was born on Altus, AFB. 21 years later I was on base doing my in-processing for C-17 BLM school on my birthday.

I love that place.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They would have happily offered a 777 derivative if that best met what the RFP had specified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

They did offer a 777 platform.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Source?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Not really when you consider the specifications.  Part of the reason the A330 version lost
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

I have a feeling the KC-10 replacement will have a 777 platform offered
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Source?
I remember reading that it was offered to the AF (though not necessarily a full proposal)
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not really when you consider the specifications.  Part of the reason the A330 version lost
View Quote
Point of order.  The MRTT won the first solicitation because it was indeed larger than the 767,  the GAO rightly overturned the decision since the RFP stated there were no points for capacity beyond X.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Get fuct, Airbus!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I remember reading that it was offered to the AF (though not necessarily a full proposal)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Source?
Boeing told the AF that they could offer a 777 derivative tanker.

AF said thanks but no thanks, it’s too big. We want a KC-135 replacement.

Then turned around and tried to buy the MRTT.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Source?

I think we are all agreeing, the only difference may be what “offered” means.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I spent two years at Ft Sill.  We would go to OKC for something to do.  Drove to Altus once for some reason, wasn't impressed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I spent 6 wks. there from Dec '82 into Jan '83 for C-5 school, before I left for Germany. IIRC it rained a whole bunch during that time. Glad I didn't have to stay, but there was a bar on every corner during that time. Mac
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
The KC-46 is delivered to the USAF ready to go.

By that logic, Boeing builds approx 40 737s per month, so we should have gone with a 737 tanker.  Number of orders dictate production rate, the 767 would have died along with the 757 if not for this tanker deal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#42]
My brother is doing the training implementation for Flight Safety International.

He's been crazy busy to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only place I was sent that was worse was Goodfellow Air Force "Station" (a long time ago) as a young two striper.  Got sent there with no car.  Long, long walk to town and once I got there I wondered why I wanted to go in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Corporate welfare. The lazy B knew the passenger 767 was dead as a door nail and wanted to milk a bunch of government money to keep the line open longer. They had more powerful politicians in their pocket than airbus so they got their way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Corporate welfare. The lazy B knew the passenger 767 was dead as a door nail and wanted to milk a bunch of government money to keep the line open longer. They had more powerful politicians in their pocket than airbus so they got their way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

What airframe would you have put it on?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#46]
the shocker I heard on a recent podcast is the 46 no longer has an operator in the back with direct visual on the receiving aircraft.

The system involves cameras, etc.

Guess what; there are problems with the camera system in certain lighting conditions.

Well, no kidding.  They're trying to replace the Mark I Eyeball, with it's grossly superior dynamic range with something that will just about always be inferior.

I can understand if the camera system incorporates FLIR/nightvision, but if it doesn't .........
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
This times a thousand! I was stationed at Altus 1986-1991 SAC 340th air refueling wing.
We drove all over just to have anything to do; lots of mischievous activities do to boredom. Drag racing the DCM off base and having him order me to turn myself in to Base security because he lost comes to mind.
Road trips every chance we had, I did see a lot of stuff within 600 miles of Altus AFB, not that much is within 600 mi. of Altus.
With all that said I loved the job and all that was involved with it, just nothing to offer outside of that for young adventurous adults.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
McCain stopped the initial KC-767 lease which was corrupt enough people went to jail.  The competition resulted in the MRTT being selected but the award was overturned by the GAO.  Boeing then won the following competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, a few AF higher ups involved in the process retired and were hired by Boeing shortly after they were awarded the contract.  The Airbus tankers were going to be built here in Mobile, so it was followed pretty closely by local media.  Not long after the contact was rigged, Airbus decided to build some of their passenger aircraft here, so it worked out ok in the end.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

A French one apparently.

I always have one simple question.  Would you buy a French car?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Haha

I spent years flying passengers into Lawton and doing overnights there.

I don't remember enjoying a single stay.
View Quote
Clearly you were not there the night my band played Gertlestone's Pub on Cache Road.

It was a fun night - women in skimpy outfits dancing on top of the PA speakers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top