Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
After 3 aborted landings, I'm calling it and heading to my alternate. Hell I've bailed on a landing after 2 attempts due to weather.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A missed approach is mucho mas different than a go around after the landing is botched like this.  Maybe than plane could have safely aborted after the first hit.  I do not know its climb abilities.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has to. FAA won't approve an instrument approach if they can't construct a viable go around. If nothing else they'll just raise the minimum decision altitude to insure obstacle clearance on the second segment climb. But the missed approach point for this approach is 2.6 mikes from the runway threshold. So once you're over the numbers, if you can't stick the landing, you better be flyin a Saturn V.

A missed approach is mucho mas different than a go around after the landing is botched like this.  Maybe than plane could have safely aborted after the first hit.  I do not know its climb abilities.

The FAA MA criteria is for SE climb, and having adequate terrain clearance over a large area.  Yes, he could have done a bounce and go.  It's not even a question.      If he had fuel that is.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
From the first camera, it looks like they initially touched down about 2000ft down the runway and they should have gone around to begin with.  After that it looks like that FedEx DC-10/MD-11 crash that was caught on video at Tokyo/Narita a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It has to. FAA won't approve an instrument approach if they can't construct a viable missed approach procedure. If nothing else they'll just raise the minimum decision altitude to insure obstacle clearance on the second segment climb. But the missed approach point for this approach is 2.6 mikes from the runway threshold. So once you're over the numbers, if you can't stick the landing, you better be flyin a Saturn V.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure there is no going around at Aspen. The mountains off the end of the runway go from 7800' to 13,000' pretty quickly. I know that the missed approach for the RNAV calls for an early turn out back up the valley. It's a one way in, one way out place. Put 30kts of tailwind on that... not a chance. Poor life choice. Get-there-itis combined with absolutely HAVING to stick the landing on one try... and that's what we get.

Shoulda waited until morning.

It has to. FAA won't approve an instrument approach if they can't construct a viable missed approach procedure. If nothing else they'll just raise the minimum decision altitude to insure obstacle clearance on the second segment climb. But the missed approach point for this approach is 2.6 mikes from the runway threshold. So once you're over the numbers, if you can't stick the landing, you better be flyin a Saturn V.

That's what I gathered from looking at the approach plate. I know Aspen is a unique and challenging airport on the best days.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or google United 173.  I was on that flight.  

"Check the fuel level?  Ain't nobody got time for that...."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just crashing jets Americans won't crash.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/05/aspen-plane-crash_n_4546029.html

Three souls on board; I am amazed only one fatality and two injured.

Flight originated in Mexico.  All three on board were pilots and Mexican nationals. The plane was owned by the Bank of Utah.

That's some crazy shit right there! Glad you made it out ok.

I wonder if there are rabbit holes, and if so, where they all lead.

You'd be amazed at the stupid shit "professional" American pilots have done. In this same type of aircraft, no less. Waaaay dumber shit than what this video shows. Google Northwest Airlink flight 3701 for starters.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Nasty.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've been into Aspen dozens of times.   He could have gone around at the point of the first bounce, it's a no brainer.    Pilots who don't have good instinct or experience will react to a bounce like that by pushing the nose down.  Exactly the wrong move and timing, and that is the result.    

Jet are nothing like small recips when it comes to performance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure there is no going around at Aspen. The mountains off the end of the runway go from 7800' to 13,000' pretty quickly. I know that the missed approach for the RNAV calls for an early turn out back up the valley. It's a one way in, one way out place. Put 30kts of tailwind on that... not a chance. Poor life choice. Get-there-itis combined with absolutely HAVING to stick the landing on one try... and that's what we get.

Good God, NO!       You can go around at Aspen.   A twin jet will out climb any terrain at any airport, provided you don't start 2/3 down the runway.

He was a good ways down the 8000' runway. I'd have rather tried to go around myself, but I only fly slow planes. Even if there is only about 2 miles between the runway and 13,000' peaks.

I've been into Aspen dozens of times.   He could have gone around at the point of the first bounce, it's a no brainer.    Pilots who don't have good instinct or experience will react to a bounce like that by pushing the nose down.  Exactly the wrong move and timing, and that is the result.    

Jet are nothing like small recips when it comes to performance.  

Yep. I did that ONCE early in flight training before I knew about Pilot Induced Oscillation. That is some scary shit. And from then on I knew that the throttle and sky are my friend.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Flight originated in Mexico.  All three on board were pilots and Mexican nationals. The plane was owned by the Bank of Utah.

View Quote

Dumbest, most ignorant thing I've seen on the internet do far today. Good job, I think you could hang on for the win.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what I gathered from looking at the approach plate. I know Aspen is a unique and challenging airport on the best days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mexican pilot may well have made the same mistake.   He was no doubt focused on sticking the landing.

Another thing happens when the weather is like that.   You begin to act on instinct.  You don't have time to make rational decisions second by second.    That's why you have to make your decisions ahead of time.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Also, Aspen has a 2% upslope on runway 15. That probably helped the bounce. People used to a 6 degree angle on approach to a flat runway are now going from 6 down to 2 up on landing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From the post above, it looks like this was the third approach.  One go around/missed approach is understandable.  After the second, I wonder if they should have diverted.  Ego or get there-itis  in flying can be a killer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has to. FAA won't approve an instrument approach if they can't construct a viable go around. If nothing else they'll just raise the minimum decision altitude to insure obstacle clearance on the second segment climb. But the missed approach point for this approach is 2.6 mikes from the runway threshold. So once you're over the numbers, if you can't stick the landing, you better be flyin a Saturn V.

From the post above, it looks like this was the third approach.  One go around/missed approach is understandable.  After the second, I wonder if they should have diverted.  Ego or get there-itis  in flying can be a killer.

It's a matter of semantics. If it's an instrument approach you're shooting you do a missed approach at the end if you can't land. If it's a visual approach youd do a go around. He had shot 2 missed approaches prior to this because he'd been flying the loc dme 15 (if I recall correctly) because nighttime and weather conditions dictated its use. So the appropriate thing to do would have been a missed approach. Conducting a visual go-around off of that approach in those conditions probably would have resulted in all three dying. How would they maintain obstacle clearance? You'd have needed a Saturn V. Nearly impossible to guarantee obstacle clearance, especially for 3 strangers to that airport, in a go around in those conditions. And this is exactly why they never should have been there to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Vne, the missed approach altitude is almost 2400 feet above field elevation if I read the approach plates correctly.  At the point that the pilot touched down and the landing was botched, I am calling that a go around.  My term may be wrong.  You suggest that it was not a realistic option.  At least one other person said it should be easy.

I have no idea for that aircraft or if that would have resulted in a CFIT event.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking at the IR footage, it appears the pilot applied power after touching down, and was making significant power during the bounce.

Those acft have ground spoilers for landing, could they have been deployed during the initial ground contact and still out during the bounce?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I love it how there were a bunch a people just standing around on the side of the runway with their hands in the pockets doing nothing to help. The one guy on the left kicks something and just stands there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love it how there were a bunch a people just standing around on the side of the runway with their hands in the pockets doing nothing to help. The one guy on the left kicks something and just stands there.
View Quote

What are they to do?  The field probably has a fire department which should be equipped to handle the crash.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Honestly I'm just waiting for the arf-pilots to chime in about how this was a VX attack or some other nonsense.

I still giggle over that hypothesis on the BHM UPS crash.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's a matter of semantics. If it's an instrument approach you're shooting you do a missed approach at the end if you can't land. If it's a visual approach youd do a go around. He had shot 2 missed approaches prior to this because he'd been flying the loc dme 15 (if I recall correctly) because nighttime and weather conditions dictated its use. So the appropriate thing to do would have been a missed approach. Conducting a visual go-around off of that approach in those conditions probably would have resulted in all three dying. How would they maintain obstacle clearance? You'd have needed a Saturn V. Nearly impossible to guarantee obstacle clearance, especially for 3 strangers to that airport, in a go around in those conditions. And this is exactly why they never should have been there to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you keep saying Saturn V.     It's a really weird thing to say.     You could do bounce and goes all day long at Aspen in a 2 engine jet.  Yes, even with a tailwind.  

A promptly executed bounce and go is preferable to crashing ever single time.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you think they should do?  Run 1/4 mile down a snowy taxiway toward a burning puddle of Jet A without any firefighting training or apparatus?  At that point, you're just in the fucking way.  

Or maybe the sensible thing to do is just stand there and kick a rock while the people who are trained and equipped to handle the situation do their job?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do you think they should do?  Run 1/4 mile down a snowy taxiway toward a burning puddle of Jet A without any firefighting training or apparatus?  At that point, you're just in the fucking way.  

Or maybe the sensible thing to do is just stand there and kick a rock while the people who are trained and equipped to handle the situation do their job?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He bent over, hands on knees with head hung, then kicked something. Looked like shock & frustration at what happened to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dumbest, most ignorant thing I've seen on the internet do far today. Good job, I think you could hang on for the win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you don't get out much, do you?

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly I'm just waiting for the arf-pilots to chime in about how this was a VX attack or some other nonsense.

View Quote

Wtf are you talking about?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
When I seen the wind blowing on the tarmac before plane landed, I  knew then what was going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be amazed at the stupid shit "professional" American pilots have done. In this same type of aircraft, no less. Waaaay dumber shit than what this video shows. Google Northwest Airlink flight 3701 for starters.

Out of left fucking field. How old were you and do you remember it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looking at the IR footage, it appears the pilot applied power after touching down, and was making significant power during the bounce.

Those acft have ground spoilers for landing, could they have been deployed during the initial ground contact and still out during the bounce?
View Quote

The AOA exceeded the stall limit.   Slow airspeed, high pitch, swept wing jet = crash. Doesn't matter how much power is applied.   He needed to hold the pitch at about 4 degrees after the first nose-wheel bounce. - until v2+10. For some pilots, this is instinctive, for others, not so much apparently.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you keep saying Saturn V.     It's a really weird thing to say.     You could do bounce and goes all day long at Aspen in a 2 engine jet.  Yes, even with a tailwind.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic from a different incident shows why a go-around at night could easily result in CFIT. I know that Flight Options disallowed night landings in to Aspen for years because of this. A steep climb that gives them 2 miles to beat the rapidly rising terrain while making a sharp turn... at night...

Here's the radio audio... Approach
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To keep from jacking this thread, I discussed in this thread a while back (about 1/3 down page):

Airline Horror Stories
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To expound, the aircraft appeared to experience a porpoise (most likely from trying to fly it onto the runway in the first place due to the wicked ground speed, rather than allowing the aircraft to settle to the runway on the mains.)  This is when the nosewheel hits first and the aircraft bounces back into the air.  It is nearly impossible to "save" a porpoised landing as the aircraft's configuration, motion, and energy just don't work out.  Upon reaching the apex of the first bounce, you can pull a little, porpoising even more the next bounce, or pull a lot and make a hard landing.

The only acceptable response to a porpoise is to go around.  Even in light training aircraft, with sturdy gear that are designed to get beat up by students, you may only get two, maybe three bounces before you are going to do some damage.
View Quote

As a young private pilot, I may or may not have hotdogged a long-final landing on an 8200' runway (KCOD), dropped the nose gear before I'd bled enough airspeed off, and porpoised down half the runway. The airplane (C172) was fine. My pride was a casualty though.

Btw... my buddy/bandmate has flown into Aspen many times over his near 20 years as a NetJets Citation Excel captain (flew the Ultra before the Excel came-out). He's always remarked how that airport is a big boy airport in terms of commitment and skills required for safety in a jet. And he flies a straight wing!

This thread makes me realize, I've never done Aspen in all my years of flying FSX. Time to crank up the Lear 45 tonight and fly in there!
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"The Challenger 600 began as Bill Lear’s LearStar 600 intercontinental tri-jet design. The rights to the project were purchased by Canadair Ltd in 1976, and the CL-600 went through a difficult period of development as it evolved into the twin turbofan Challenger."

Not too far off the mark.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a Challenger 600, not a Learjet.

this.

Details... who needs 'em.

"The Challenger 600 began as Bill Lear’s LearStar 600 intercontinental tri-jet design. The rights to the project were purchased by Canadair Ltd in 1976, and the CL-600 went through a difficult period of development as it evolved into the twin turbofan Challenger."

If you don't know anything about airplanes, all small jets are Leer. Kinda like Kleenex and Xerox.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back when UPS crashed in BHM earlier this year there were some people (IIRC) hypothesizing that some sort of nerve agent had incapacitated pilots based on the crash photos or some other such nonsense.

It was wild ass speculation and amusing.

Was waiting for someone to opine some truly wacky shit here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To keep from jacking this thread, I discussed in this thread a while back (about 1/3 down page):

Airline Horror Stories
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airline Horror Stories

Wow.  I'm surprised you still fly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you don't know anything about airplanes, all small jets are Leer. Kinda like Kleenex and Xerox.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a Challenger 600, not a Learjet.

this.

Details... who needs 'em.

Not to mention that Bombardier is the parent company that owns/builds both Lears and Challengers.

I always affectionately use the term "BIZJET" when referring to my favorite segment of aviation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am certain the plane was laying down chemtrails prior to landing at KASE. So there....
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I seen the wind blowing on the tarmac before plane landed, I  knew then what was going to happen.
View Quote

Oh really?  Like the topic of the thread wasn't a giveaway?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/newscut/files/2014/01/ntsb_aspen_2001.jpg

Pic from a different incident shows why a go-around at night could easily result in CFIT. I know that Flight Options disallowed night landings in to Aspen for years because of this. A steep climb that gives them 2 miles to beat the rapidly rising terrain while making a sharp turn... at night...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/newscut/files/2014/01/ntsb_aspen_2001.jpg

Nice pic.  I'm telling you how it actually is, flying jets, into Aspen.     It's what I did for a living just prior to my current job.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#37]
You can see the hurt, and anger of those guys on camera 4. What a shitty situation to witness.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#38]
I read about things like this and it breaks my heart.  I have been flying high performance jets for over 30 years.  When your flying into an airport like that one you don't push it and always have a back up plan.  One of my flight instructors from UPT  shared this advice.  A superior pilot uses superior judgement not superior skills.  Sometimes diverting early is the best option and trying again when the weather is better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice pic.  I'm telling you how it actually is, flying jets, into Aspen.     It's what I did for a living just prior to my current job.  
View Quote

Yeah, those Flight Options guys are stupid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes and yes.  I'm typed in the Challenger 601 and currently am employed flying one.  A coworker has a few thousand hours in that very airplane.  The ground spoilers on the 601 will deploy when in the armed position with both thrust levers at idle and one of two following conditions satisfied; weight on wheels in ground mode or wheel spin up beyond 35 knots.  If you bounce a landing those spoilers will deploy and remained deployed until the thrust levers are advanced, or the wheels slow down to less 35 knots with the airplane airborne.

I'm of the opinion based on my limited viewing that the airplane stalled.  When this aircraft aerodynamically stalls it is unrecoverable.  The Canadian government didn't even want to certify it based upon stall characteristics. The aircraft is equipped with a stick shaker that vibrates the yoke when approaching a stall.  Go further and a stick pusher activates.  This system uses a motor hooked to the controls to force the nose down to prevent the airplane from actually reaching an aerodynamic stall.  I believe the abrupt nose down was the stick pusher activating. That close to the ground, you are pretty much hosed.  

Had the aircraft stalled it almost certainly would've dropped a wing.  The wings are very unlikely to stall simultaneously in this airplane.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The yellow accident site marking is hard to see but appears to be north of the runway. From the cameras, the resting location seems to be in the region of the southern half of the runway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes and yes.  I'm typed in the Challenger 601 and currently am employed flying one.  A coworker has a few thousand hours in that very airplane.  The ground spoilers on the 601 will deploy when in the armed position with both thrust levers at idle and one of two following conditions satisfied; weight on wheels in ground mode or wheel spin up beyond 35 knots.  If you bounce a landing those spoilers will deploy and remained deployed until the thrust levers are advanced, or the wheels slow down to less 35 knots with the airplane airborne.

I'm of the opinion based on my limited viewing that the airplane stalled.  When this aircraft aerodynamically stalls it is unrecoverable.  The Canadian government didn't even want to certify it based upon stall characteristics. The aircraft is equipped with a stick shaker that vibrates the yoke when approaching a stall.  Go further and a stick pusher activates.  This system uses a motor hooked to the controls to force the nose down to prevent the airplane from actually reaching an aerodynamic stall.  I believe the abrupt nose down was the stick pusher activating. That close to the ground, you are pretty much hosed.  

Had the aircraft stalled it almost certainly would've dropped a wing.  The wings are very unlikely to stall simultaneously in this airplane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you have nailed it, thanks for the very insightful and informative post.

Canadair Challenger 601 TRAINING GUIDE pdf.

Auto Ground Spoiler Deploy

?Auto ground spoiler deploy.

In the past, to obtain ground spoiler extension after landing a
Challenger, one pilot, usually the one in the left seat, would have to deploy the flight spoiler lever
to the full aft position, depress a release button on the top of the lever, lift, the lever and move it
farther aft through a gate mechanism to the ground spoiler extend position. If the button was
depressed too soon (before reaching the full extend position), the pilot was prevented from
deploying the ground spoilers unless the flight spoiler handle was retracted and the sequence
repeated.
The manual deploy procedure can become cumbersome and sometimes cause confusion in the
cockpit. Many operators require the pilot in the right seat to reach around and deploy the flight
and ground spoilers on touchdown. In most other business jets, this maneuver is rather easily
accomplished. The Challenger cockpit is so large, however, that in order to deploy the flight
spoiler handle from the right seat, the pilot is required to lean left and reach around the throttle
quadrant quite a distance.
The new ground spoiler system in the -3A is armed through a switch that is located on the
left-hand side of the center console. This switch is placed in the armed position and remains
there unless a ground test is being conducted. With a weight-on-wheels (WOW) signal from
both channels of the system or wheel spin-up and throttle retardation to idle, the ground spoilers
automatically deploy. This action hydraulically releases internal locks in each ground spoiler
actuator and deploys one panel per wing to the 45-degree fully extended position.
This modification to the previous ground spoiler system is evident by the absence of the
release button on top of the flight spoiler handle and the gate mechanism on the after portion of
the flight spoiler quadrant. Challengers without the mod have an “ON” position in the same
location as the “ARMED” position in the -3A.
In the 601-3A and other Challengers that have undergone this modification, flight spoiler extension after touchdown is used not only to extend the flight spoilers-one panel on each wing but as a backup deploy for the ground spoilers in the event of a failure of the auto-deploy system.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Airline Horror Stories
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airline Horror Stories

Neat
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The yellow accident site marking is hard to see but appears to be north of the runway. From the cameras, the resting location seems to be in the region of the southern half of the runway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that picture is from the north.  The indications of the crash site are 100% inaccurate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#45]
When I lived there I watched one of the UA BAe 146s execute a downwind/base/final/landing on 33 in an impossible amount of space.  That was the only time I ever witnessed it.

It made me pucker watching from the ground.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pic is from a different incident (as it clearly states in the post quoted). Just using it to show the mountains at the end of the runway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The pic is from a different incident (as it clearly states in the post quoted). Just using it to show the mountains at the end of the runway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that was the site of the Gulfstream crash a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called hyperbole. Exaggeration if you will. I'm attempting to illustrate that the only way to guarantee obstacle clearance is by climbing straight up. There's actually nothing weird about it if you understand the subject matter.

I agree that a balked landing at Aspen is possible given ideal circumstances. 30 knot tailwind at night ain't ideal. Think it could be done? I say prove it. I can say that because I know for a fact you can't prove it. As AmericanPeople has observed, the MDA on that approach is 2400' agl. There's a reason it's that high. You are correct that such altitudes are based on guaranteeing obstacle clearance on a single engine climb but that doesn't guarantee you could do it from 2400' below the MDA on two engines and still be in the clear. You don't even know how heavy the plane was. That aircraft has a limitation of a maximum 10 knot tailwind for takeoff and landing so climb capability in such conditions is impossible to calculate. Imagine trying to perform a takeoff from that runway with a 30 knot tailwind. The ballanced field length couldn't even be extrapolated for such a tailwind. Bombardier flat out doesn't give you the data or any way to guess at it for such an extreme scenario. So I'm impressed you're so confident it could be done.
When I used to fly into Aspen it was a daytime, vfr only destination specifically for this scenario. Even if you couldn't comply with the missed approach procedure then at least you'd have the visibility to steer away from granite. These guys couldn't even do that.
You seem to think these guys would have been fine and dandy had they successfully gotten airborne again. That's a giant maybe that nobody knows the answer to because it can't be calculated and because it was nighttime. The only point I was trying to make was that at the time those guys crossed the threshold with a 30 knt tailwind, at night, they were already waaaay outside the boundaries and a successful outcome was dubious at best. How could they even know if they had enough runway to stop the aircraft in those conditions even if they nailed the landing at the 1000' mark? I don't recall what the required runway length correction factor is for a flaps zero landing but it would be very similar to this scenario as a flaps zero landing has an increased Ref speed of thirty knots. I did a flaps zero landing once at IND on 23R in the summer time and the amount of runway you eat up is staggering. I wouldn't expect it to work at Aspen. Especially given the field elevation.
Nope. These guys screwed themselves from the get-go. What would have been preferable is them having never left the MDA to conduct a highly illegal approach.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nope. These guys screwed themselves from the get-go. What would have been preferable is them having never left the MDA to conduct a highly illegal approach.

View Quote

Interesting that they apparently violated the tailwind allowances.   Assuming that they had no choice but to land.   The winds were reported at 14 gusting 25 from the audio link.

Would your approach speed be increased about 20 knots because of the tailwind?

Then add that 20 knots with the 20 knots of increased ground speed from the wind and your approach speed would be 40 knots higher than normal.  Correct?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#50]
IIRC it was not a nighttime crash either.  around noon I believe.

Not that it matters
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top