Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/22/2018 10:24:58 AM EDT
Despite spending more per pupil than most districts in the country, you have idiots. Is it time to close public schools and get rid of teacher unions and go a private route in Baltimore?

At 13 Baltimore city high schools, zero students are proficient in math

Spending per pupil:  
Baltimore City Schools in Maryland at $15,818
View Quote
BALTIMORE (WBFF) - An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math.
View Quote
“Nine out of ten black boys in Baltimore City are not reading at grade level,” added Pannell.
View Quote
Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state test scores released this fall. We paged through 16,000 lines of data and uncovered this: Of Baltimore City’s 39 High Schools, 13 had zero students proficient in math.
View Quote
Digging further, we found another six high schools where one percent tested proficient. Add it up – in half the high schools in Baltimore City, 3804 students took the state test, 14 were proficient in math.
View Quote
Can't throw any more money at teachers or schools when you are spending more than most of the USA per kid. It's not a money solvable problem.

"It’s not a matter of money," Wallace said on May 3, 2015. "One of the things that we learned this week is Baltimore spends the third-highest per capita on its public schools. Baltimore was already spending plenty on public schools, and the schools were still lousy."
View Quote
http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/13-baltimore-city-high-schools-zero-students-proficient-in-math
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#1]
They will just redefine "proficient' downward until everyone is proficient.  It's the liberal/Democratic Way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can't throw any more money at teachers or schools when you are spending more than most of the USA per kid.
View Quote
Oh, I bet they will.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Despite spending more per pupil than most districts in the country, you have idiots. Is it time to close public schools and get rid of teacher unions and go a private route in Baltimore?
View Quote
It's a cultural issue.  It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.

I'm sure some of the teachers are terrible, but the best teacher in the world can't teach a student that doesn't want to learn and sees no value in education.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess the only purpose of schools in Baltimore is child care.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
They're probably very proficient converting ounces to grams and mental vig calculations.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just have Prezbo rewrite the questions to be about the count or the EBT.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#7]
i bet they're all Asians and white people too

not wacist
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Being able to do math is "acting white" and is frowned upon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet more than a few could tell you how many points LeBron averages per game though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
math is rayciss.
Somehow this is whitey's fault.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I bet the union preaches how with smaller class size and a pay raise scores would improve. Or maybe just hire Beverly Harvard
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Proficient in math? I would guess that they aren't talking about genius levels of math proficiency. I'm not great at math, but I can still use it! Basic math is a life skill...
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Get out of here with your racist "proficiency"!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Is math patriarchy or racism?  I can't remember where it ended up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Some teachers shouldn’t be teaching...and they should be drummed out of the business...... but some of the students couldn’t learn or won’t learn despite the efforts of the best teacher....... it’s like giving someone parts for a Ford Pinto and expecting them to build a Ferrari.........
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
as the teachers get ready to strike for more money,
for the kids of course
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Sadly, over the years I've actually had to help a few cashiers count back change. I wanted to scream that it was numbers NOT magic! It isn't even complex mathematics, it is just fucking counting!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, I bet they will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't throw any more money at teachers or schools when you are spending more than most of the USA per kid.
Oh, I bet they will.
Under Obama they were spending more than $30,000 per student in DC schools. It is about time to have an honest conversation about race. No more lying about poor city schools just needing more money to succeed but a real honest discussion about what we should be getting for our money.

Most kids leave these schools hardly able to read or do simple math but they have doctorates in being victims. They have been taught that they are oppressed in hundreds of ways but no one ever teaches them what we do for them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Are the test questions written in cursive?

Maybe "white mans encryption" is to blame here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Both.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
They consider "who's spending the most money" as the metric for success.

No wonder they're totally, irredeemably, fucked.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some teachers shouldn’t be teaching...and they should be drummed out of the business...... but some of the students couldn’t learn or won’t learn despite the efforts of the best teacher....... it’s like giving someone parts for a Ford Pinto and expecting them to build a Ferrari.........
View Quote
I think you have it wrong.. it's like giving them parts for a ferrari and expecting to have a ferarri built, but ending up with a not working pinto.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not the schools, it's the students
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#24]
At 13 Baltimore High Schools, parents take zero interest in the education of their kids.

ETA: or should I say, parent take zero interest in the education of their kids.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
The in school gang beatings and rapes suggest an equal failure at "child care"
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#26]
...then how'd they determine the number was 13?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Math is racism. Engineering is patriarchy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like several people need to be fired.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's a cultural issue.  It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.

I'm sure some of the teachers are terrible, but the best teacher in the world can't teach a student that doesn't want to learn and sees no value in education.
View Quote
Ding ding ding
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Obama's sons. Its a culture that reviles education and celebrates ignorance and violence. The only "math" they ever need is to convert ounces to grams for their dope and to keep a loose eye on how much of their welfare check is left every month.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I bet a lot of them can throw a spiral and dribble a ball though. That's all that matters in these retard communities. Don't need no math if you're goin pro
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#32]
This isn't surprising in the least.

My own experience, this year. I have 2 boys, both Juniors in HS. 1 would get 90 to 100% on all homework, and then shit the bed on tests and quizzes. I asked the teacher to call me after school one day for unrelated issues, and then remembered to ask about the homework, vs tests/quizzes. She said well, your son doesn't have anyone helping him at school during said tests/quizzes. I replied, well, he doesn't have anyone outside of school helping him either.

Then the truth comes out.

She say's, "Well, homework is just practice. I don't grade it for accuracy!"

I said are you fucking kidding me? How the hell is he supposed to know he's not doing it right?

No answer to that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They will just redefine "proficient' downward until everyone is proficient.  It's the liberal/Democratic Way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The scary thing, is that the above is not even a joke.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding ding ding
This needs another bump!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
The state will continue to care for these leeches when they enter the welfare and prison systems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#35]
But I bet they learn that Trump is holding them down and they need to vote Democrat for the rest of their life.

It is not the kids fualt

It Progressives running shit
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#36]
It is uncanny sometimes how often the F.P.N.I.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#37]
It's not a money thing. It's a culture thing. The culture is rotten, can't teach kids who don't want to learn.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#38]
nicolascageyoudontsay.jpg
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much this.

If the student does not want to learn, has no support at home and is pressured by peers to fail (success in school bad), they will not learn.  No matter how good a teacher is.

If you have an entire culture (not just urban black culture, but rural white trash have a similar outlook) that treats education as something to be avoided and takes pride in ignorance, then you'll have this problem.

This is compounded by the belief we have in the US that all students are equally suited to succeeding in school, multiple state standardized tests (often sold to the state by third parties that profit off the implementation of their test) and the fact that most of a teachers workday is no longer dedicated to actually teaching, but instead revolves around gathering "data", data entry and doing the associated paperwork.

Education is broken in the US and the annual initiatives (that get rolled out, implemented, declared to not work and discarded within six months) and money thrown at it will not fix the issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sadly, over the years I've actually had to help a few cashiers count back change. I wanted to scream that it was numbers NOT magic! It isn't even complex mathematics, it is just fucking counting!
View Quote
In defense of the ignorant... it's been so long since I carried cash, I have to consciously think about the values they represent and which combinations get me there
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Time for tax payers to start a tax boycott over shit schools!

Edit: Bmore spends over $15,000 per student per year and look at the results.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#42]
That's probably why the 16 yr old black child killed the cop in the headline following the link.

He couldn't do math so he bombed his SAT and his bright future ended.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This isn't surprising in the least.

My own experience, this year. I have 2 boys, both Juniors in HS. 1 would get 90 to 100% on all homework, and then shit the bed on tests and quizzes. I asked the teacher to call me after school one day for unrelated issues, and then remembered to ask about the homework, vs tests/quizzes. She said well, your son doesn't have anyone helping him at school during said tests/quizzes. I replied, well, he doesn't have anyone outside of school helping him either.

Then the truth comes out.

She say's, "Well, homework is just practice. I don't grade it for accuracy!"

I said are you fucking kidding me? How the hell is he supposed to know he's not doing it right?

No answer to that.
View Quote
If your son failed multiple tests and quizzes, why didn't you sit down with him and go over his homework to make sure he understood it correctly.

The teacher failed, as homework should be graded for accuracy, but you also failed your son by not providing any help when you saw him struggling.  In HS, a student may be with a teacher for a 45 minute period.  After getting the class settled in and then ready for dismissal at the end, the teacher maybe has 30 minutes for instruction and classwork.  Even if they did equal one on one instruction, that would probably average out to 1 minute of one on one instruction per day.  5 minutes per week.

Parents need to understand that they are a critical key to their students success.  Support at home is probably the most important factor in a students success or failure.  Yes, it means you are going to have to take 30 minutes to an hour out of your day occasionally to help your kid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Also remember that the state sets the curriculum, what books to use and they set the pace for learning. Then the cities and indivisual schools bends that a little to meet their objuectives.

Standardized testing is increasing too. the amount of time preparing for the testing as well as the number of times per year they are being tested. This all takes away from classwork studies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Like with anything with in government... they aren't after actual RESULTS. They just need credit for the ATTEMPT. The teacher is present and math books are in the room, what more do you want?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Success is a white behavior, and not to be emulated in that community.

Sorry, but until that attitude changes, NOTHING else will change.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm not sure I believe that as the number seems higher than I would expect.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#49]
MATH BE RASIS
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If your son failed multiple tests and quizzes, why didn't you sit down with him and go over his homework to make sure he understood it correctly.

The teacher failed, as homework should be graded for accuracy, but you also failed your son by not providing any help when you saw him struggling.  In HS, a student may be with a teacher for a 45 minute period.  After getting the class settled in and then ready for dismissal at the end, the teacher maybe has 30 minutes for instruction and classwork.  Even if they did equal one on one instruction, that would probably average out to 1 minute of one on one instruction per day.  5 minutes per week.

Parents need to understand that they are a critical key to their students success.  Support at home is probably the most important factor in a students success or failure.  Yes, it means you are going to have to take 30 minutes to an hour out of your day occasionally to help your kid.
View Quote
Perhaps you can't read. When your son is getting 90s to 100s on all homework, it suggests he knows wtf he's doing, on top of the fact both are always in advanced, Honors, AP classes. You can shove "you also failed your son by not providing any help when you saw him struggling" straight up your ass. You are in no position to judge, and have no idea wtf you're talking about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top