BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was raised Christian, it wasnt till I was old enough to comprehend the words in the Bible that I realized I could not in good faith call myself a Christian.  It wasnt anything any leftist could say or do.  I read the words and had questions.  Questions that I have never received any sort of answer that made any sense.

First I start to get skeptical over Genesis 1-2 describing the creation of men and man in the multiple versions I have read make it clear that even if you believe a single god created all of creation its pretty clear Adam was created separately from the rest of men.  Adam, the head of gods chosen people, was brought to Eden where he ends up disobeying god and having the punishment dealt out to his line.  That punishment, like excessive modesty for example, the best I can tell does not effect the rest of heathen man from what I can tell by reading later descriptions in the Bible when decedents of Adam and Eve interact with tribes or civilizations outside Eden.

Second I dont understand why the Christian God is such a shit stirrer, from dangling the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life for Adam and Eve, and the reaction to punish them for not just violating his command, but casting them out in fear they would also eat from the Tree of Life and become more like gods.   This sounds an aful like god really just wanted a blind and dumb slave to tend his garden.  Able was a grew livestock, Cain grew plants.  The fight between the two was a direct result of god rejecting Cain's offering while accepting Able's.  If God is all knowing one can assume he understands the impact that rejection would have.  Both sacrificed their labor and sweat, why was both not acceptable?  What does this teach me about this god?  Is this something I choose to honor with my life?

Third.  The Bible was highly controlled over much of the history of Christianity due to most of the world not having access to print, not to mention the illiterate peasantry that relied on what they were told by ruling elites.  Any I to really believe that this book survived an era where specific studies were done on behalf of European monarchs (like Machiavelli's the Prince) delving deep into ways to create leverage to bind the population of a realm to the monarch to stabilize and consolidate their power over long terms really leave one of the most influential books of power untouched?  I read the Bible and it feels more like a manual to create a system of control for a monarch to have a stabile and productive society to leach off of.  Granted this has little to do with the word of god, just my suspicions on the hearts of man.

Forth, building on item three is the primary system of control.  The Bible attempts this by trying to convince the reader they are guilty of sin, even if that sin was the result of your ancestors and because of that guilt you must live on your knees and give much of your labor away as penance.  Just like with CRT I reject the notion that I am guilty for something my ancestors may have done.  I flatly reject the concept of original sin entirely.  I have nothing to atone for on their behalves.  

Fifth is the concept of turning the cheek.  I understand the concept, am willing to participate a bit if I am the slapped, but I cannot abide my Wife nor especially my Children being the recipient of the slap.  I am not the pray for forgiveness type if feel I did right, even if it breaks the written word.  I would be lying to god in my eyes if I were Christian compounding the matter.

These are my biggest items I have discussed with several pastors.  None of which had any sort of guidance on the matter.  I'd love to see if any have other things to say beyond pray for an answer.  At the end of the day if I do see him, I'd love to ask him these things before I am cast into the pit.
View Quote

#3: We find copies of ancient Biblical parchments. We can reconstruct copies of the copies that Paul wrote from nearly 2000 years ago. What variance is there in the earliest fragments? The fact you don't know this kind of shows you never really cared to research stuff as much as you claim to. We have tens of thousands of fragments and parchments that pre-date the stuff your throwing at the Bible about Monarch power grabs.

You say you've "discussed with several pastors". Either they are idiots, or you are. And I am not sure which is which. The fact you don't have a notion of what textrual criticism is, despite the allegations you throw at Christianity is boggling. Its like you read a few edgy posts on /r/Atheism and figured that was enough. There's an ENTIRE discipline regarding Biblical parchments that you've failed to address at all, because you threw the baby out with the bathwater.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The best argument for this I have heard is that god permits this misery as something for us to strive to defeat.  A way to encourage us to improve ourselves.  I can see and understand a creator using this mechanism.  This however flies in the face of Adam and Eve improving themselves when they gained knowledge from the tree and that leaves me with no answer that is consistent with the book when I look at the actions of god.
View Quote

The simplest take is that the world is Lucifer's to do with as he will, as backed by the repeated references to the "prince of this world" and the offer to Jesus Christ to be king of everything he saw if he merely bowed to Lucifer during the last temptation. Lucifer of course is a liar, so it's up to you to figure out which reading you like the best, but optimistically, including Job, the idea is that Lucifer has a lot of power over the world, so much so that it's a fallen world, but he can't touch our souls unless we give them to him. There's also hints that there's less that lucifer can do to truly faithful followers, with Job being essentially sketched out as a worst case scenario where God withdraws most of the unspoken protections believers in God have; and yet he is made whole and better than he was, as the story goes.

There's an inflexibility a lot of people have to "god' being as powerful as they can possibly imagine, and yet also insisting if he's THAT powerful that a mere human can judge who and why wields those powers that are literally beyond understanding. Even a smaller view of god's knowledge and power still renders him beyond human reckoning. Which is very confusing why people want him to be a powerful as possible and yet completely understandable. If I could completely understand someone they'd be unworthy of the smaller view of the powers I believe, not to mention literally unlimited powers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The best argument for this I have heard is that god permits this misery as something for us to strive to defeat.  A way to encourage us to improve ourselves.  I can see and understand a creator using this mechanism.  This however flies in the face of Adam and Eve improving themselves when they gained knowledge from the tree and that leaves me with no answer that is consistent with the book when I look at the actions of god.
View Quote

It's also possible that your definition of "improvement" bakes in false assumptions.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Sola Scriptura claims another victim

Lord Have Mercy
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lord Have Mercy
View Quote

*stamps foot*

But if there's more to it than what's written I can't know it all and if I can't know it all it's stupid! I should be able to study and say everyone else is stupid and I hold the one truth!

If traditions, findings, and other things are found outside the bible there isn't a quick or easy way to refute it or to anoint myself king who knows all and everyone else is stupid!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lord Have Mercy
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lord Have Mercy
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214740/8CDDE970-8D9A-49B8-8D1D-0CDF3226C057-2002272.jpg

Swing and a miss.

Orthodox Christian
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I left traditional "christianity" several years ago, because a Zoroastrian.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Millions of people have been saved by accepting Jesus Christ died for their sins and accepting to follow Christ without ever reading a single page in the Bible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the King James version, but it doesn't mean all other versions are 100% bad.

How is he supposed to get saved if not for reading Gods word to see how ?

I don't think your post makes much sense or is very helpful.

Millions of people have been saved by accepting Jesus Christ died for their sins and accepting to follow Christ without ever reading a single page in the Bible.

Well I won't disagree with that at all, I guess I could have phrased it better but my point was that it isn't true to say you won't understand the Bible without being saved.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I left traditional "christianity" several years ago, because a Zoroastrian.
View Quote

Go on, don't leave the story hanging.

Because a Zoroastrian what? I thought they were wiped out in Zanzibar and with the Iranian Revolution.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I won't try to make sense of it because it was written by goat herder men who lived 1000s of years ago.
Judo-Christianity is based on the Abraham tribes,  is a direct copy of the Torah / and Jewish faith,  which us gentiles are not permitted to be privy to.

Saul of Tarsus re-wrote parts of the bible after the death of  Jesus of Nazareth (Jewish) to make the religion more becoming and inclusive to the pagans so they could grow the religion further.

To "study" the bible and find yourself approved you actually have to learn the history of the entire religion,  the God of the christian bible and the Jewish bible are the same God. which is where things get complicated.
Because you see according to the Jews themselves and the originators of the religion ,   they say that the whole christian thing is bunk.

Trying to make sense of it is a waste of time tho, once you realize the history behind the books.  The reasoning behind the messages in them is all based on common laws and customs of the day.
I noticed that no one dissected my offerings image because that one is pretty damning.   It explains how that the temple offerings were literally eaten by the Jewish priests and his family members because food was scarce and so "god" commanded food offerings.

Go and research some of this yourself. I spent more time than I'd like to admit looking into this all years ago, but your journey will have to start with the Jewish religion because its the origins of the literal christian bible.
You'll see the greatest contradiction to the bible is the jews themself who say that jesus was an imposter and  since they're  "gods chosen people" they would know best.

What you need to know according to the abrahmic religions is that the jews are the only people who are chosen by god.  

The true and original religion of abraham is the jewish one.  so study that.
https://i.imgur.com/QbB7hRM.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case the Epicurean paradox fails to understand what God would want from existence.  If you could create, watch, and extinguish infinite universes in an infinitely small amount of time, what is the purpose if your existence?  What would you want?  What do you lack?  Company, limitation, and challenge.

The flow chart above assumes that being all-powerful requires creating a contradiction in terms: It assumes that God can create free will but prevent evil by fiat.  This necessarily limits free will, which defeats the purpose.  If being omnipotent means rewriting the laws of logic to serve your every purpose, then maybe God is not omnipotent by that definition.  Better yet, maybe God chooses not to be.  Whether by nature or by choice, this is not the only limitation God acts within; He also took time to create the world, according to Genesis.  There are others.  Why should we insist on recognizing only a God who fits the most expansive and boring possible definition of omnipotent?  Does a God who enjoys a challenge not merit consideration as still being the most supreme being in existence?  Says who?

It seems to me that God plainly wants what any good parent wants: No good parent wants to enslave their children, but no good parent wants their children to be evil either.  Having both at once means letting your children make their mistakes and learn hard lessons, and clearly that's what God does.  Why is this so inconceivable?

I won't try to make sense of it because it was written by goat herder men who lived 1000s of years ago.
Judo-Christianity is based on the Abraham tribes,  is a direct copy of the Torah / and Jewish faith,  which us gentiles are not permitted to be privy to.

Saul of Tarsus re-wrote parts of the bible after the death of  Jesus of Nazareth (Jewish) to make the religion more becoming and inclusive to the pagans so they could grow the religion further.

To "study" the bible and find yourself approved you actually have to learn the history of the entire religion,  the God of the christian bible and the Jewish bible are the same God. which is where things get complicated.
Because you see according to the Jews themselves and the originators of the religion ,   they say that the whole christian thing is bunk.

Trying to make sense of it is a waste of time tho, once you realize the history behind the books.  The reasoning behind the messages in them is all based on common laws and customs of the day.
I noticed that no one dissected my offerings image because that one is pretty damning.   It explains how that the temple offerings were literally eaten by the Jewish priests and his family members because food was scarce and so "god" commanded food offerings.

Go and research some of this yourself. I spent more time than I'd like to admit looking into this all years ago, but your journey will have to start with the Jewish religion because its the origins of the literal christian bible.
You'll see the greatest contradiction to the bible is the jews themself who say that jesus was an imposter and  since they're  "gods chosen people" they would know best.

What you need to know according to the abrahmic religions is that the jews are the only people who are chosen by god.  

The true and original religion of abraham is the jewish one.  so study that.
https://i.imgur.com/QbB7hRM.jpg
For most of its history Christianity has been explicitly supercessionist, most of your argument is based on treating contemporary American Evangelical Protestant Pastor Jim theology as the rule, which -to put this as charitably as I can- is about one step up from young earth creationism.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank God that He has mercy on whom he has mercy.  Election and regeneration are things that never change.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Swing and a miss.

Orthodox Christian
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lord Have Mercy
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214740/8CDDE970-8D9A-49B8-8D1D-0CDF3226C057-2002272.jpg

Swing and a miss.

Orthodox Christian
Hey what's a little unleavened bread between friends?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Plus, hermeneutics is a thing
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For most of its history Christianity has been explicitly supercessionist, most of your argument is based on treating contemporary American Evangelical Protestant Pastor Jim theology as the rule, which -to put this as charitably as I can- is about one step up from young earth creationism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait, does that mean that when Jews rejected Jesus, the biblical reading is they rejected God and his covenant with them was broken?

Acts 4:10-12
then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.

Jesus is “’the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

So if true, that means those who don't follow Jesus aren't saved regardless of bloodlines or preexisting stuff??? But that's so weird, clearly the easy to read bible passages must be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Raised in Christianity. One parent chose to expose us to other "versions" than our home church synod. There is a lot of variation out there.

However in regard to the bible, despite being taught it for my school age years I never got the full measure of the book until I read it as such, a book. Made a different impression than what those in charge want you to believe.

What one also needs to acknowledge and remember is that while it may be word of God, it was written by men who had an agenda to sell. Just like all religious tomes. Take from it/them what you will.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What one also needs to acknowledge and remember is that while it may be word of God, it was written by men who had an agenda to sell. Just like all religious tomes. Take from it/them what you will.
View Quote

I'll take that agenda over mindless unlimited sugar carbohydrates are part of what I should be consuming all the time or Marxism. Even the shittiest versions are better than the best of those agendas that are peddled today.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This has been coming for about 10 years, it started the first time I read through the bible in whole myself. I was raised in the church since year 0 and believed (or so I thought) in the bible in it's entirely. I was taught that every word of the Bible is truth, that there is not even one error, but in being taught growing up, we were all taught single verses or chapters and how those words might apply to our life today. The bible as a whole is a tough thing to teach...

In reading though the bible myself for the first time I saw a God that was supposed to unchanging, change in the extreme over the course of the Bible. He talks about both not tempting people and then tempts people. About not killing innocent people and then punishing his people for not killing innocent people. He makes a promise, then changes it. He sets up rules that are to stand forever with no room for that ever changing, then Jesus changes all that.

There are over a hundred contradictions in the bible you never hear about in church because you have to admit there's a lot wrong with it. Even the first 2 chapters (Genesis 1 and 2) tell of completely different orders of creation. A huge contradiction on the first page. The arguments for why this is are extremely thin.

One of the biggest things that stood out to me is the promise of heaven with Jesus' message. In the old testament there is Sheol, which is pretty much a place of darkness. A Medium even brings Samuel back from the dead and he talks about this.  Then in Daniel, he writes about Eternal Life to get Jews to Martyr themselves after he told them not to fight and realized they needed some encouragement to fight. This concept was huge issue for me.

It was about 100 years before Jesus that the idea of Heaven and Hell became really popular with Jews, this is the hot topic and the middle east is struggling with the idea of Heaven and looking for answers.

Looking back on my life in the church, I am shocked at how often I was guilted into not questioning the bible. If you quotation things, you need more faith (not answers). The bible is very clear that all good things come from God and bad things do not (except for when they do).

How is it that a God that is all powerful creates the Earth, then over the course of the Bible is not able to defeat some enemies, Satan is given more or less free reign of the Earth, allows so much evil in the world. He talks so freely with Adam and Eve, then more crypticly as time goes on (only in secret most of the time, appearing as things like bushes and visions) then goes silent for 2000 years!!!???

I spent decades talking to God and believing 100% in the teachings of Jesus, but never once heard him. I cried at night as a kid terrified I wouldn't do something right and end up in Hell. I grew up in a "good" church, but looking back it was guilt and fear that made me believe. I don't want my kids to have that guilt. It hard but my wife (who separately came to the exact same conclusions) and I are completely out.
View Quote

Ohhh, wow! You read through the Bible yourself and found contradictions that no one has ever discovered over the last couple thousand years! You must have quite an intellect!

You do realize that people far smarter than you have literally debated and addressed all of these issues over the last couple millennia. Right?

So did your reading comprehension ability just exceed all of theirs ? That’s one possibility. The other possibility is that you are a fucking dumbass who doesn’t understand basic biblical literacy. But I’m sure the latter isn’t it. Certainly it’s more likely that you’ve found superficial problems in the Bible that no one else did over the last couple thousand years.

Certainly you’re a deeply thoughtful soul. Christianity desperately needs your sorry, uneducated, illiterate ass-mouth to tell us how to reconcile these deep, thoughtful contradictions of the faith. Please help us, fuck stick, in ways that aquinas, Paul, and Augustine weren’t smart enough to understand.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some religions teach there is a loving God where the God of the old testament was a vengeful God.  The idea of "that's life" backs the vengeful God.

The loving God is portrayed as knowing you before you were born, knows every hair on your head, and had Jesus rebuke those who were preventing children from coming to him.  We see comments here of people saying they will pray for the person, as if a kind loving God will help out.  The OP explained how he never felt he received any help ever.  The difference again highlights vengeful vs is loving.  

If children are so sacred and special then why would a loving God allow children with cancer?  Hey child you are special and loved, here is cancer now suffer a miserable very short life and die.  Adults will claim their struggles is just God testing their faith as way to explain it.  A child can't comprehend that, so why are they inflicted with misery and death?  Some will argue it is to test the parents faith.  Meaning the loving God allows a child suffer and die...even though Jesus said that was one of the worst things ever.  

I don't have any answers, just lots of questions that can't be answered.  From my experiences what I see is we still have a vengeful God.  Feel free to watch the Cancer Awareness video and then explain how a loving God would allow that much misery, suffering, and death in children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kGueJKC8S8

A vengeful God would do something like that, make others suffer to improve someone else.  The huge non-denominal churches that I have attended all play songs about how great and loving God is, how there is no reason to worry because God is on your side.  They play up the loving God.  Is that type of God that will allow a child to suffer and die so others can improve or does that sound like the old testament God that told Abraham to kill his son as a test?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wait, does that mean that when Jews rejected Jesus, the biblical reading is they rejected God and his covenant with them was broken?

So if true, that means those who don't follow Jesus aren't saved regardless of bloodlines or preexisting stuff??? But that's so weird, clearly the easy to read bible passages must be wrong.
View Quote

You're really trying to make the assertion that someone else's reality and altered word is the true word?

You realize that the Jewish bible predate the christian one right?   That is like someone coming into your house ,   hanging you up by a rope and then they get to tell everyone else you did a suicide.

The Christian bible was edited much later than the Jewish one and conveniently paints them as being the losers / suckers.
So you're dismissing the word of the true chosen people.  gods people.

You can believe anything you want, but its empirically true that the original founders of your "God" and gods people are the Jews.   And they still maintain that you're following the false messiah.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're really trying to make the assertion that someone else's reality and altered word is the true word?

You realize that the Jewish bible predate the christian one right?   That is like someone coming into your house ,   hanging you up by a rope and then they get to tell everyone else you did a suicide.

The Christian bible was edited much later than the Jewish one and conveniently paints them as being the losers / suckers.

You can believe anything you want, but its empirically true that the original founders of your "God" and gods people are the Jews.   And they still maintain that you're following the false messiah.
View Quote

In a biblical, good society you'd be horsewhipped in the public square for your heresy. At the very least.

The Jewish religion as practiced is younger than Christianity.
We all make the assertion someone else's reality is true if it's not our original idea. When I say calculus is true, I'm asserting Newton's reality and altered word. When I quote relativity I do the same for Einstein; when I talk OODA I'm asserting Boyd's.

The historical continuity of the current Hebraic people today, and the original Israelites is subject to a lot of fascinating speculation including the British Israelite movement that's too much to get into here.

Your chosen false god of a people over God shows how many lies you spew biliously while trying to also assert the atheist lies out the other side of your mouth. You have nothing but poison and falsehood and I pray for your repentance and repudiation or quick end of heresy by whatever means god appoints, and I shall smile.

Your lies and pharasiacal bulllshit meet with not one second of consideration here blasphemer. I know what Abracadabra means... and I reject your magic.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called survivorship bias.

We also have a word for the Jews that followed Christ and accepted him as the Messiah, it's "Christian."

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we exclude all the Jews who converted to Christianity throughout history and the otherwise messianic Jews, it shouldn't be a shocker that the remaining Jews definitionally rejected Christianity.  Rejecting new revelation is a huge part of the Jewish faith anyway.  The Sadducees did it too, and there wasn't a single prophet that was accepted without much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  It's really only fitting that the messiah would take even longer to accept, so whatever.  Christianity wasn't the first split, just the biggest, and your argument from authority cannot possibly be sincere.  When's the last time an institutional authority was right about anything controversial?  It happens, but it's hardly the rule.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The huge non-denominal churches that I have attended
View Quote
*fog machine*
*light show*
*whammy bar guitar riff*

Pastor Jim Delenda Est
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In a biblical, good society you'd be horsewhipped in the public square for your heresy. At the very least.

We all make the assertion someone else's reality is true if it's not our original idea. When I say calculus is true, I'm asserting Newton's reality and altered word.

When I quote relativity I do the same for Einstein; when I talk OODA I'm asserting Boyd's.

The historical continuity of the current Hebraic people today, and the original Israelites is subject to a lot of fascinating speculation including the British Israelite movement that's too much to get into here.

Your chosen false god of a people over God shows how many lies you spew biliously while trying to also assert the atheist lies out the other side of your mouth. You have nothing but poison and falsehood and I pray for your repentance and repudiation or quick end of heresy by whatever means god appoints, and I shall smile.

Your lies and pharasiacal bulllshit meet with not one second of consideration here blasphemer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We all make the assertion someone else's reality is true if it's not our original idea. When I say calculus is true, I'm asserting Newton's reality and altered word.

When I quote relativity I do the same for Einstein; when I talk OODA I'm asserting Boyd's.

Your lies and pharasiacal bulllshit meet with not one second of consideration here blasphemer.

Quoted:

It's called survivorship bias.

We also have a word for the Jews that followed Christ and accepted him as the Messiah, it's "Christian."

You guys are sounding very anti-semitic here.   Trying to put forward some alternative history where the Jewish people were not gods chosen people and that they rejected the false messiah of "Jesus"

It is true that he was the false messiah and why he was shunned and ultimately met his fate.  You will know this if you talk to any Rabbi.
Go into a synagogue and talk with gods direct and divine pathway to heaven, the Rabbi and he will set you straight about the false messiah.  That is how you can find out the truth of this matter.

The Jewish people do not defend against this openly because they do not proselytize and recruit so much like the Christians do, trying to recruit everyone they meet.
The Jewish people already know they are gods chosen people and are on the correct path.

Speak to a Rabbi and you'll find this all out.

I'm trusting  gods chosen people for the truth.   The Jewish people.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:56:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Jewish people do not defend against this openly because they do not proselytize and recruit so much like the Christians do, trying to recruit everyone they meet.
The Jewish people already know they are gods chosen people and are on the correct path.

Speak to a Rabbi and you'll find this all out.

I'm trusting  gods chosen people for the truth.   The Jewish people.

https://i.imgur.com/eHtn0r2.png
View Quote

So are what you saying is that as long as they're Jewish, no matter what they believe, including rejecting the Son of God, they are saved because of who they are- because of their bloodlines rather than any covenant including the need to believe in and follow god's will?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So are what you saying is that as long as they're Jewish, no matter what they believe, including rejecting the Son of God, they are saved because of who they are- because of their bloodlines rather than any covenant including the need to believe in and follow god's will?
View Quote

He's trolling.  Check out the post [on page 11] where he craps all over the Jewish faith too, because of a meme that told him about a conflict of interests over eating sacrificed food.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:00:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He's trolling.  Check out the post where he craps all over the Jewish faith too, because of a meme that told him about a conflict of interests over eating sacrificed food.
View Quote

I'll let him defend it.

From what I understand, the building of the 3rd temple is INCREDIBLY important to  religiously observant Jews because the entire basis of the religion was the sacrifice every Shabbat, and since the sacrifice MUST be made ONLY at the temple, since the destruction by the Romans the original and longest lived part of continuity in actual observant Jewish Religion was broken. That's my incomplete understanding, but surely he can answer with all his learned wisdom.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  
According to gods chosen whom he speaks to directly,  you've been deceived by the great deceiver. Jesus the false messiah.

Here is some very good documentation from a Rabbi for you to study.

You can find the original source here.

Good luck.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/false-messiahs-in-judaism/
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#31]

https://www.thepullrequest.com/p/the-holy-church-of-christ-without

No, this isn’t about sky fairies or who you personally profess as your lord and savior. Religion is fundamentally about dealing with reality via myth, ritual, and folklore, rather than data, empiricism, and skeptical inquiry. There’s no less of it now than ever before. In fact, I’d go further and posit The Law of Conservation of Religion:

Religion is never created nor destroyed, in any society, merely transformed from one form to another. Ditto ancillary notions like taboo or moral guilt.

The reality is there are no atheists in the, well, anything. Humans are incapable of living while staring into the abyss of total materialist nihilism, not to mention their own looming mortality, for very long. Those who truly internalize that view are likely in a dark pit of drugs, clinical depression, or both, and the goal of treatment is restoring the basic animating delusions—friends, family, a sense of purpose and overarching narrative—necessary for human life.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ohhh, wow! You read through the Bible yourself and found contradictions that no one has ever discovered over the last couple thousand years! You must have quite an intellect!

You do realize that people far smarter than you have literally debated and addressed all of these issues over the last couple millennia. Right?

So did your reading comprehension ability just exceed all of theirs ? That’s one possibility. The other possibility is that you are a fucking dumbass who doesn’t understand basic biblical literacy. But I’m sure the latter isn’t it. Certainly it’s more likely that you’ve found superficial problems in the Bible that no one else did over the last couple thousand years.

Certainly you’re a deeply thoughtful soul. Christianity desperately needs your sorry, uneducated, illiterate ass-mouth to tell us how to reconcile these deep, thoughtful contradictions of the faith. Please help us, fuck stick, in ways that aquinas, Paul, and Augustine weren’t smart enough to understand.
View Quote

So, where in the Bible is drug use condoned?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So, do you want to have a serious debate about the topic at hand or not? State your case and we can get started.
View Quote

I didn't. I replied to a post and that was it. You reacted, and than we windmilled. How does my saying what I did have to mean I had something specific in mind that I was looking for a discussion about? Do not grok.

Quoted:

You know you`re talking to an actual scientist don`t you? lol.
View Quote

Uh .... ok?

Your point? Does that somehow change the facts about the process that exist regardless of what You, myself, or him thinks about it? If he wants to interact more about that, the ball's in his court to do with as he wants.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#34]
i
Quoted:

I'll take that agenda over mindless unlimited sugar carbohydrates are part of what I should be consuming all the time or Marxism. Even the shittiest versions are better than the best of those agendas that are peddled today.
View Quote

So repress the females basically to the point of islam? Male only voices can be heard? Essentially continue slavery? So trade freedom for all for the sugar daddy carbo BS for suppression of the opposition voice? How very male centered christian view of yours. Fuck the women and any opposing viewpoint. Christ would love your totalitarianism. What the religion is all about. Submit or suffer for

I'll look in the sun up morning for the excuses and bs. Time to sleep this July 4th.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i

So repress the females basically to the point of islam? Male only voices can be heard? Essentially continue slavery? So trade freedom for all for the sugar daddy carbo BS for suppression of the opposition voice? How very male centered christian view of yours. Fuck the women and any opposing viewpoint. Christ would love your totalitarianism. What the religion is all about. Submit or suffer for

I'll look in the sun up morning for the excuses and bs. Time to sleep this July 4th.
View Quote

Wew, someone was drinking tonight. That hangover you have reading this must be brutal, and I won't add to it by replying to the garbled nonsense.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Struck a nerve did he?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Odin promised to eliminate ice giants.

Jesus promised to eliminate sin.

Seen any ice giants recently?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Your life, your rules.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you really be happy in a world without Thots, microwaveable lava cakes, free porn, and interest and 401ks?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Would you really be happy in a world without Thots, microwaveable lava cakes, free porn, and interest and 401ks?
View Quote

Those are literally all I live for. So no. Not even a little bit.

If you'll excuse me I need to go develop the "lava cake technique", perhaps a meme will be forthcoming. Please note, if successful a business related to the revolutionary microwaved sexfoodtoy industry will be available for IPO in 3-6 months.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Those are literally all I live for. So no. Not even a little bit.

If you'll excuse me I need to go develop the "lava cake technique", perhaps a meme will be forthcoming. Please note, if successful a business related to the revolutionary microwaved sexfoodtoy industry will be available for IPO in 3-6 months.
View Quote

I'm glad I have another man of wealth and taste here.

Microwaveable lava cakes were literally my coup de grace for impressing girls in college by being thoughtful enough I could even treat them to a cooked dessert.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a hardship if Jesus took them from me, just that it is a sacrifice that I would make I'm not sure everyone would.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I didn't. I replied to a post and that was it. You reacted, and than we windmilled. How does my saying what I did have to mean I had something specific in mind that I was looking for a discussion about? Do not grok.

Uh .... ok?

Your point? Does that somehow change the facts about the process that exist regardless of what You, myself, or him thinks about it? If he wants to interact more about that, the ball's in his court to do with as he wants.

View Quote

Just what I thought, all sophistry and no substance, typical...
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes! you can add psychotic fairy tales to the list too...
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Happily. I'm nowhere near as well trained as really religious people, but I find most religious "leaders" to be lazy sad sacks who aren't philosophical or intellectually curious at all, and most churches don't demand serious men with serious inquiries, so there's a lot like you I've met who have questions brushed aside. First, understand- we're all men, humans, and fallible. The best we give is interpretations or best guesses. Before you say I'm just a pussy who's selling weak tea, that's literally what scientists, when they're being actually honest, do. There are no 100% god-given answers, merely best guesses as backed up by evidence, or the scientific method and peer review.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:These are my biggest items I have discussed with several pastors.  None of which had any sort of guidance on the matter.  I'd love to see if any have other things to say beyond pray for an answer.  At the end of the day if I do see him, I'd love to ask him these things before I am cast into the pit.

Happily. I'm nowhere near as well trained as really religious people, but I find most religious "leaders" to be lazy sad sacks who aren't philosophical or intellectually curious at all, and most churches don't demand serious men with serious inquiries, so there's a lot like you I've met who have questions brushed aside. First, understand- we're all men, humans, and fallible. The best we give is interpretations or best guesses. Before you say I'm just a pussy who's selling weak tea, that's literally what scientists, when they're being actually honest, do. There are no 100% god-given answers, merely best guesses as backed up by evidence, or the scientific method and peer review.

You hit the nail on the head on the leadership I have experienced.  I cant get what I view as important questions answered but the offering plate comes around multiple times on Sunday.  I understand we are all human, dealing with translations from languages we dont understand, written by people with vastly different understanding of how the world works, and lacking god's point of view, but I am trying to understand the order things worked, and the character of god because reading some of the stuff done is pretty messed up.

Quoted:
I was raised Christian, it wasnt till I was old enough to comprehend the words in the Bible that I realized I could not in good faith call myself a Christian.  It wasnt anything any leftist could say or do.  I read the words and had questions.  Questions that I have never received any sort of answer that made any sense.
Quoted:
Sorry most leaders suck.

Unfortunately that seems to be the rule more than not these days.  My greatest frustrations with most churches being they wont live the words that are written, you see it more and more these days that churches waffle on what is clear sins if you are Christian.  I am not a Biblical scholar, just a guy reading the words and trying to understand what it means to the best of my ability.  Same as I have done for other major religious texts.  I just have not had anyone give answers that made some sort of sense.

Quoted:First I start to get skeptical over Genesis 1-2 describing the creation of men and man in the multiple versions I have read make it clear that even if you believe a single god created all of creation its pretty clear Adam was created separately from the rest of men.
Quoted:
Based on what please?

Creation of man on the sixth day I have heard how it could cover Adam and Eve being the first, but I miss in the time line how other tribes/civilizations grew up around the area Adam and Even and their children settled after leaving the garden.  The other men and women created as mentioned before Adam and Eve in Genesis its clear they are created "in god's image" no mention of materials like Adam and Eve.  This isnt particularly controversial since it makes no mention of materials used to create the different animals, but I do find it interesting they use image here.  This goes back to what Elohim really means as I mention below, because different races of men all look different from each other, especially if you include creations like Neanderthals that look very different in this.  

This is where I get hung up.  Could other deities created different races of man?  It seems possible, but the way the book is written gives little detail beyond the basics occurring.  A lot can hinge just on that one little word.  I've tried to read as old of materials as I can find because I think materials closer to the original author might be more accurate.  Translation though is an issue for me admittedly, I dont speak these languages, but with the people in the institutions supposed to be educated in this its pushed me this far to find answers where I can.  The Hebrew definition of Eloheim from what I have researched can mean single all powerful god, or it can mean a plural or pantheon of gods.  The translations and context make it difficult to accurately indicate who did what in Genesis.

Quoted:Adam, the head of gods chosen people, was brought to Eden where he ends up disobeying god and having the punishment dealt out to his line.  That punishment, like excessive modesty for example, the best I can tell does not effect the rest of heathen man from what I can tell by reading later descriptions in the Bible when decedents of Adam and Eve interact with tribes or civilizations outside Eden.

Quoted:
Again, based on what please?

The puzzle as I understand it, Adam and Eve were Yahweh's chosen people in human kind.  The people that existed outside Eden were neither knew of his commands and the Bible is silent on if they enjoyed any protection from Yahweh.  I am forced to make an educated guess that heathen mankind grew outside Eden while Adam and Eve did their thing based on texts where decedents of Adam and Eve interact with people from these tribes/communities.  

The heathen either enjoyed no protections from a god they knew nothing of, and the punishment was merely removing the special favors granted by god to his chosen people, or god punished all of these people for the transgression of Adam and Eve over commands they never knew existed.  The latter I find abhorrent.

Quoted:Second I dont understand why the Christian God is such a shit stirrer, from dangling the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life for Adam and Eve, and the reaction to punish them for not just violating his command, but casting them out in fear they would also eat from the Tree of Life and become more like gods.   This sounds an aful like god really just wanted a blind and dumb slave to tend his garden.  
Quoted:
Well, let's be clear here. God made the enlightened angels to carry out his commands, and as best I understand it, Lucifer rebelled and overthrew this order. This is supposed to precede the creation of Adam, so hoping for faithfully following his dictates is... sorta expected, and can be understood he'd be disappointed and not have the garden prepared for disobedience. Lucifer had to move out when he decided to not follow god's rules, and Adam did too. This sounds pretty standard at the time...

As for blind dumb slaves? Slaves to do what? Jesus repeatedly relates his followers to sheep, which my pride itself finds insulting... but that's what we're called to be. Sheep disobey around the margins, but are also supposed to follow because they're fundamentally incapable of dealing with coyotes and wolves on their own. The reasoning is that sheep get themselves killed all the time and horrible fates from disobedience. Maybe you're above average, and you're less likely to do so. Congratulations. Of course, that also usually goes with more adventuruous like seeking out grass that leads to a cliff, but hey, fuck the rules, fuck the herd, it's all about you, amirite? If most people ARE like sheep, and the goal is MANKIND, NOT a single individual's best benefit... then eternal life and not eating by sweat of the brow sounds pretty good tbh.

And lastly, you're trying to understand god through a human lens. I won't even call you a fucking idiot though I'm tempted. I'll just suggest that... maybe... you can entertain the possibility he has bigger plans than you can imagine? IDK, you want a god that's incomprehensibly more powerful, wiser, and knows more then you, then you attribute human motivations and your own ability to understand a god... that's a contradiction friend.

Slave is the wrong word, I am not trying to cause insult.  I can understand A&E having no need for knowledge or life because god is providing that, and that having broken the command not to eat what amounts to fruits of the gods, god removes those protections as part of the penalty.  Where I struggle with this is other areas I have come to accept as Devine encouragement, stuff like cancer and bad things happening to people pushing us into a positive direction for us to solve these issues.  None of that happens if A&E dont break the command, so was that slated by fate to happen, the whole thing, what does the world look like if heathen man enjoyed these protections too?  How fast would over population become an issue?  This lends more credence that only A&E enjoyed the protections for their service.

Again the Bible here just does not get into very many details, and leaves me to question things.  Yes an argument can be made that its not my place to question, but that just feels like a smokescreen to me like being told to pray more.  God is not concerned with my trivial questions, and admittedly a big part of that is my desire to not interact with an entity that has treated others questionably.  Just like I dont go out of my way to talk with the Lucifer.  

The best I can say right now is my faith rests in natural law as I figure things out.  God/Gods creation, the way things work, the cycles of live and death, the seasons, these are all tangibles I understand and can accept.  Maybe I'm broken but I need more than blind faith.  If I'm wrong, at least I admired and honored the creation and my non evil fellow humans for whatever that's worth.
Quoted:

Quoted:Able was a grew livestock, Cain grew plants.  The fight between the two was a direct result of god rejecting Cain's offering while accepting Able's.  If God is all knowing one can assume he understands the impact that rejection would have.  Both sacrificed their labor and sweat, why was both not acceptable?  What does this teach me about this god?  Is this something I choose to honor with my life?

insert "if god knows all why he let bad thing happen?"

I submit, not knowing, that he doesn't know all, as you imagine it. Does that end god for you? If he doesn't have all the magical powers as you imagine them, is that a cancellation of god and christianity for you? If so... what a weak one dimensional understanding of mysteries you have. If the world is as complex as it is, maybe he is powerless to stop the operations as they work. Maybe he's empowered to intervene only insofar as it doesn't stop the clockwork as it works. And maybe the pleas or interventions he doesn't take up were not made in humility to the design and would mess it up.

I've heard it submitted that raising animals was in fact harder, and god let his preference be known, and so when Cain did not bring meat, or sell a portion of his grain to get meat, he was knowingly spurning god's preference. Regardless, that ancient hebraic stuff is interesting to know where we come from, but I subscribe to the idea of an evolved faith, and so fuckery with Cain and Able only matters insofar as scholarship, covenants, being true to his word, and that which hasn't been superseded. Jesus's sacrifice supersedes all others necessary so I'm not exactly worried about my sacrifice being in vain. We can take a deeper look when you answer back about the breaking of covenants or promises to Cain.

My thoughts on that are an all knowing are god would have created time as it is mentioned in Genesis.  He exists outside it and so can see the path that decisions will lead.  I dont think it would be difficult to see how devastating a rejected offering would be to someone that knows god on a personal level.  This is an area I look to the character of the deity to see if this is something I want to honor.  Take Yahweh out and slap Baal or another deity in the same situation, what do you conclude about the decisions of the deity and their actions.  I would be interested to see what you have on animals being more valuable because they were harder work.  From what I read the whole thing comes down to blood.  The animals and the produce are both god's works so I do find it curious one is more valuable than another.  Of course a god can have a preference, again I'm just trying to understand the character of the deity in these stories.

Quoted:
Quoted:Third.  The Bible was highly controlled over much of the history of Christianity due to most of the world not having access to print, not to mention the illiterate peasantry that relied on what they were told by ruling elites.  Any I to really believe that this book survived an era where specific studies were done on behalf of European monarchs (like Machiavelli's the Prince) delving deep into ways to create leverage to bind the population of a realm to the monarch to stabilize and consolidate their power over long terms really leave one of the most influential books of power untouched?  I read the Bible and it feels more like a manual to create a system of control for a monarch to have a stabile and productive society to leach off of.  Granted this has little to do with the word of god, just my suspicions on the hearts of man.

I mean not to be mean, but this reads like a clever high schooler's or freshman's refutation of history and civilization. "Because X could happen, I have no proof, prove X didn't happen!"

I'll go one better, but I expect you to actually do some research when I tell you where to look. The Gnostics said there were books left out of the bible and have books that other biblical fathers say have bad provenance so didn't include them like the book of Enoch. This is VERY powerful, very seductive, and in my opinion dangerously seductive heresy, but hey, you want the truth, show you're actually rigorous enough to read dangerous heresy and report back, I'll knock down those strawmen. On the easier side, the Catholics include books the Prots leave out. Feel free to explore those. I warn you that I am mentioning the gnostic books and am risking you to very dangerously seductive ideas that influenced the matrix, but I have hope if you're as honest as you say you are, you'll report back your newfound enlightenment and you've grown past me on a single reading of books I've read and dismissed and clearly you're smarter than me and don't need to listen to me at all anymore.

I mention that not as an ah ha got you BS line, but as an acceptance that what may have been written has been altered for ulterior motives.  Things like Christian holidays that seem to have pagan beginnings/history are what gives me caution specifically here.  It seems like these were done to help Christianity permeate pagan cultures from what I have read.  For me it means dont follow this blindly until you have some sort of idea what you are getting into.  I am open to reading them, I am trying to understand all of this to the best of my ability.  As you allude to lies and works of the devil are in more places than the truth.  It would be my hope that something in us would help guide us from the wrong path, that the wrong path is conscience choice you make knowing its wrong.  If I know up front the texts are sketchy, I only look to them more for their content, if it answers questions I have in the more accepted texts, that sort of thing.  I doubt a single reading is going to have impact, if its like the Bible I find myself jumping around a bit or reading or listening to a scholar explain things to understand context more fully.  Again, not a pro, just a guy trying to figure things out that thinks it disrespectful to call yourself something you dont try to live up to the standard.  DM me the list and I will start on them after I finish my current books.

Quoted:
Quoted:Forth, building on item three is the primary system of control.  The Bible attempts this by trying to convince the reader they are guilty of sin, even if that sin was the result of your ancestors and because of that guilt you must live on your knees and give much of your labor away as penance.  Just like with CRT I reject the notion that I am guilty for something my ancestors may have done.  I flatly reject the concept of original sin entirely.  I have nothing to atone for on their behalves.  

That's the pelagian heresy you're using, go ahead and look it up, also dangerously seductive. The thing about CRT is it took genuine Christian doctrines and perverted them to destroy the civilization it came from. I find the stuff absolutely toxic, but truly finely honed evil. I literally read the original theorists from Horkheiimer to Marcuse to Benjamin to Adorno. They take biblical doctrines and corrupt them. You WERE warned the devil will come to you and quote scripture right? It's out of context, but that was an explicit warning...

Good stuff to research here.  This looks like it might contain answers or guidance on some of the questions I have above.  Thank you.

What little I could read before bed contained this:  "Pelagianism contends that humans are born neutral towards sin and that there is no such thing as an inherited sin nature. The Bible says people are born into sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 3:10–18) and considered dead in their transgressions because of disobedience to God (Ephesians 2:1). Scripture affirms the presence of a sinful nature that is at work in humans before salvation:

“The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins” (Romans 8:3, NLT)."

It seems to indicate Jesus's sacrifice broke the chain of original sin, but not the concept that humans can only live without sin with god's grace.  Any more on this?

Quoted:
Quoted:Fifth is the concept of turning the cheek.  I understand the concept, am willing to participate a bit if I am the slapped, but I cannot abide my Wife nor especially my Children being the recipient of the slap.  I am not the pray for forgiveness type if feel I did right, even if it breaks the written word.  I would be lying to god in my eyes if I were Christian compounding the matter.

That's not called for. The degradation of your children and wife is not called for. That's an over interpretation of the passage. I suggest you find some seriously biblical and non-PC places to ask. Find some non-vatican 2 catholic churches to ask the priest, or Confessional lutheran priests; but ask if they believe women should submit to their husbands. If no, you're not talking to one serious about scriptural integrity and move on.

There's plenty of jeremiads you can find online about the "turn the other cheek "with a simple google search about how it's more to humiliate the guy slapping, it's turning the cheek once, not twice, and it's when faced with a power too great to fight directly so you use tactics to degrade their moral authority.

And no, you don't get forgiveness if what you think you did was right. "praying" for guidance in most cases is about figuring out where what you did was wrong and what a better solution would be.

Initial attempt, smashed out quickly. Not very hard tbh.

Maybe its the priests I have spoken to on the this particular issue.  My thoughts on joining a religion are you have to be honest about trying to do best to live up to the standard, and this is an area I frankly would be lying to god and everyone else with what I was told from the several churches I have been to.  The places I have been seem to almost encourage asking for forgiveness as the status quo than setting the standard for the flock to follow.  I'm not playing around here, there are pressures in my life over this.  My Mom's greatest disappointment, and her eyes greatest failure is that I am not Christian, she is probably going to pass soon with her health the way it is.  She thinks she will never see me again with the path I'm on, but IMO following blindly is just as dangerous as reading everything about it.  I hope this gives you a better understanding of where I am coming from.

Hoping I didnt fudge the format up, I'm dead tired.  I have to be up in a couple hours, I will pick this up tomorrow.  Thank you again for new areas to investigate.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Score one for the Allfather :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You hit the nail on the head on the leadership I have experienced.  I cant get what I view as important questions answered but the offering plate comes around multiple times on Sunday.  I understand we are all human, dealing with translations from languages we dont understand, written by people with vastly different understanding of how the world works, and lacking god's point of view, but I am trying to understand the order things worked, and the character of god because reading some of the stuff done is pretty messed up.

Unfortunately that seems to be the rule more than not these days.  My greatest frustrations with most churches being they wont live the words that are written, you see it more and more these days that churches waffle on what is clear sins if you are Christian.  I am not a Biblical scholar, just a guy reading the words and trying to understand what it means to the best of my ability.  Same as I have done for other major religious texts.  I just have not had anyone give answers that made some sort of sense.
View Quote

A couple quick points here before I pick up the rest tomorrow and have to be meaty.
What have you done to change this dynamic? Did you stand up and say that the preacher is not trying to lead, but trying to collect money? Did you move your family- you don't sound like a singular individual here- from church?

And, being honest, if you DID find a good church, with a pastor who preached women, in fact, are not suited for leadership of the church nor even at home- would your wife have let you stay or would she have made you move? Much of the church's weakness, frankly, has to do with the weakness of men and not standing on principle and conviction. A priest and pastor can only stand so long before they are forced by their congregation to change. I don't let them off, and currently am unchurched myself, but am going to rectify this.

I do know that many family men do NOT take the biblical instruction of their family seriously and allow their wives. The pullback of men from churches has led to women dominating churches and selection of such, and so the churches naturally cater to women's interests rather than mens, with predictable results.

If you're not willing to visit at LEAST 6 churches, ask hard questions of the priests and pastors- ones meant to make them, and to some degree you uncomfortable- you're not serious about faith and truth. You're a squish who deserves the heretical teachings because the spirit does not move within you, and you cannot be brought. I say these words as encouragement that there should be movement if it is significant, and not merely social occasion. Too many men want things to be good and strong for them WITHOUT being strong and determined themselves. This is doomed to failure. To be lead by the strong, you first must BE strong- that is the ONLY way you will find TRUE strength that can actually LEAD strong men. If you're not willing to go to a place that makes normal people uncomfortable, you're engaged in social masturbation, not true Christanity. If you would not fight social opprobrium and a resistant or hostile spouse to biblically sound teaching- if her objections are "feelings" or "not welcome" or other such objections- you have an answer for why churches have universally folded to heresy and why you are unworthy of the True Word of God.

As a place to start, I'd recommend reading C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity and Men Without Chests. Then you can look into the Christian Apologetics, William Lane Craig, and then follow from there. You have to know what you're looking for to find it these days, and the glory is you can- but you must choose to. This requires study on your part. Sucks, but if you don't like it, give up and just go "spiritual but not religious."

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's also possible that your definition of "improvement" bakes in false assumptions.
View Quote

Just relaying what priests and pastors have said over the years.

Others have said works of the devil, vengeance on sinners, but that one made the most sense to me.

I'm on the outside looking at the mess between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.  At this point I feel comfortable saying I think whoever put this rock together did something special.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

#3: We find copies of ancient Biblical parchments. We can reconstruct copies of the copies that Paul wrote from nearly 2000 years ago. What variance is there in the earliest fragments? The fact you don't know this kind of shows you never really cared to research stuff as much as you claim to. We have tens of thousands of fragments and parchments that pre-date the stuff your throwing at the Bible about Monarch power grabs.

You say you've "discussed with several pastors". Either they are idiots, or you are. And I am not sure which is which. The fact you don't have a notion of what textrual criticism is, despite the allegations you throw at Christianity is boggling. Its like you read a few edgy posts on /r/Atheism and figured that was enough. There's an ENTIRE discipline regarding Biblical parchments that you've failed to address at all, because you threw the baby out with the bathwater.
View Quote

That's great they have it, it should give great power to his work.  As far as I know we dont have the originals for most of the Bible and that gives me concern.

I read the Prince, and it goes in depth into how a monarch should use religion to unify his kingdom and bind his people to him.  Do you think Machiavelli the only one to point this out?  It's also pretty clear attempts were made to usurp traditional pagan holidays with Christian celebrations throughout Europe in an effort to bind these communities to the new Christian rulers.  The monarchs and the Church held great sway over the population for a long time where a lot of not so nice stuff was done.  I'm not saying the whole text is garbage, I'm saying you need open eyes to ensure you dont blindly follow lies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A couple quick points here before I pick up the rest tomorrow and have to be meaty.
What have you done to change this dynamic? Did you stand up and say that the preacher is not trying to lead, but trying to collect money? Did you move your family- you don't sound like a singular individual here- from church?

And, being honest, if you DID find a good church, with a pastor who preached women, in fact, are not suited for leadership of the church nor even at home- would your wife have let you stay or would she have made you move? Much of the church's weakness, frankly, has to do with the weakness of men and not standing on principle and conviction. A priest and pastor can only stand so long before they are forced by their congregation to change. I don't let them off, and currently am unchurched myself, but am going to rectify this.

I do know that many family men do NOT take the biblical instruction of their family seriously and allow their wives. The pullback of men from churches has led to women dominating churches and selection of such, and so the churches naturally cater to women's interests rather than mens, with predictable results.

If you're not willing to visit at LEAST 6 churches, ask hard questions of the priests and pastors- ones meant to make them, and to some degree you uncomfortable- you're not serious about faith and truth. You're a squish who deserves the heretical teachings because the spirit does not move within you, and you cannot be brought. I say these words as encouragement that there should be movement if it is significant, and not merely social occasion. Too many men want things to be good and strong for them WITHOUT being strong and determined themselves. This is doomed to failure. To be lead by the strong, you first must BE strong- that is the ONLY way you will find TRUE strength that can actually LEAD strong men. If you're not willing to go to a place that makes normal people uncomfortable, you're engaged in social masturbation, not true Christanity.

As a place to start, I'd recommend reading C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity and Men Without Chests. Then you can look into the Christian Apologetics, William Lane Craig, and then follow from there. You have to know what you're looking for to find it these days, and the glory is you can- but you must choose to. This requires study on your part. Sucks, but if you don't like it, give up and just go "spiritual but not religious."

View Quote

I do have a Wife and kids.  My experiences with different churches predates my family.

My Wife is atheist from well before I met her.  She'd have no issues we me going or taking the kids to church, she just does not believe in gods.

I've been to four or five different churches over about ten years, mostly Episcopalian, and Baptist as that was what was closest, and one other sect I forget what it was as I was younger with my parents that was abject garbage.  Frankly I believe its the role of the priest or pastor to set a clear standard that makes me uncomfortable, but instead the people I talked to didnt want to really put the standard out there to hold people accountable for their actions.  All of it was disappointing and lead me to the conclusion to study on my own.  I've been reading up on many different religions for the last decade or so on my own.

My issue churches mostly rests with frustration over not really finding a place that holds to the standard.  Two near me have announced they are pro gay marriage for example.  If I'm going out trying to hold the standard all week, I want a no bullshit fire pissing leader that is going to call me out if I slack or fuck up.  Instead they seemed more interested in just assuring me god forgives me.  The congregations mostly seemed clicky and irritated I was disturbing their usual.  None of them really had any interest in taking the message into the community.  I ended up deciding to just do my own reading ended up with questions that give me pause if I want to honor a god that has done what I view as some questionable things.  Most of the talks I had with people that should have answers either said I need to pray harder on it or implied I was a sinner for questioning god/the Bible.  When the book has warning after warning about works of the devil I figure god wouldnt mind some questions about things to make sure I am starting on the right path and that's why I'm here.

I've noted the books, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#50]
The "old" testament was grafted onto the gospels in 1550 at the council of Trent.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top