Page / 19
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Well good bye, and don't come back.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kind of my thinking. Religion, including Christianity, has also been the cause of much death and destruction.
View Quote

Everything has been the cause of death and destruction throughout history.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
All the evil and moonbattery coming out of so many denominations, and this is what OP is worried about?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I always have an issue with this statement.

"You can be a good and moral person without believing in God"

By what metric? Good and moral in a society shaped by western Judeo/Christian morality? The Aztecs who ripped the beating hearts out of their sacrifices were good and moral by their cultural and religious mores so they were "good and moral" right?

Can you live in accordance with the Ten Commandments/western thought/Christian tenets without believing in God, of course. But the morality that you are espousing as good and moral is Judeo-Christian morality.

So if you don't believe in it, why follow it and call it moral?
View Quote

Because it is common sense, and not some special religious doctrine to have morals? I have known church goers who had very little morals, or ethics, but went to church every sunday and let everyone know about it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This has been coming for about 10 years, it started the first time I read through the bible in whole myself. I was raised in the church since year 0 and believed (or so I thought) in the bible in it's entirely. I was taught that every word of the Bible is truth, that there is not even one error, but in being taught growing up, we were all taught single verses or chapters and how those words might apply to our life today. The bible as a whole is a tough thing to teach...

In reading though the bible myself for the first time I saw a God that was supposed to unchanging, change in the extreme over the course of the Bible. He talks about both not tempting people and then tempts people. About not killing innocent people and then punishing his people for not killing innocent people. He makes a promise, then changes it. He sets up rules that are to stand forever with no room for that ever changing, then Jesus changes all that.

There are over a hundred contradictions in the bible you never hear about in church because you have to admit there's a lot wrong with it. Even the first 2 chapters (Genesis 1 and 2) tell of completely different orders of creation. A huge contradiction on the first page. The arguments for why this is are extremely thin.

One of the biggest things that stood out to me is the promise of heaven with Jesus' message. In the old testament there is Sheol, which is pretty much a place of darkness. A Medium even brings Samuel back from the dead and he talks about this.  Then in Daniel, he writes about Eternal Life to get Jews to Martyr themselves after he told them not to fight and realized they needed some encouragement to fight. This concept was huge issue for me.

It was about 100 years before Jesus that the idea of Heaven and Hell became really popular with Jews, this is the hot topic and the middle east is struggling with the idea of Heaven and looking for answers.

Looking back on my life in the church, I am shocked at how often I was guilted into not questioning the bible. If you quotation things, you need more faith (not answers). The bible is very clear that all good things come from God and bad things do not (except for when they do).

How is it that a God that is all powerful creates the Earth, then over the course of the Bible is not able to defeat some enemies, Satan is given more or less free reign of the Earth, allows so much evil in the world. He talks so freely with Adam and Eve, then more crypticly as time goes on (only in secret most of the time, appearing as things like bushes and visions) then goes silent for 2000 years!!!???

I spent decades talking to God and believing 100% in the teachings of Jesus, but never once heard him. I cried at night as a kid terrified I wouldn't do something right and end up in Hell. I grew up in a "good" church, but looking back it was guilt and fear that made me believe. I don't want my kids to have that guilt. It hard but my wife (who separately came to the exact same conclusions) and I are completely out.
View Quote

Could God make a rock so big but he couldn’t lift it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, I've read the bible and I've seen what Christians do. No desire to go dig up forgotten texts of a faith I abandoned in favor of my ancestors faith. I do, however, appreciate theological discussions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you use the texts as a reason to doubt religion yet you’ve never read them ?

Oh, I've read the bible and I've seen what Christians do. No desire to go dig up forgotten texts of a faith I abandoned in favor of my ancestors faith. I do, however, appreciate theological discussions.

May I ask what is your ancestors faith ?
And I would submit that there is no faith that hasn’t used it’s religion for evil purposes at one point or another and that includes the religion of leftists and communists which has been the most evil of all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll pray for you OP.

The amount of people in this thread that think they can explain God is astounding.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
We are on a crash course with revelations.

Prophecies coming true left and right.  

Israel becoming a nation.

Jews returning.

A desert wasteland blossoming with the return.

Red heifers reappearing.

That’s just stuff related to Israel.

How far off are we from needing a “mark” on the forehead or wrist in order to buy or sell?  Two years ago that would’ve been almost unheard of.  Now there’s talk of injecting a chip as a vaccine passport which we will need to go into businesses.  Do you think most people will now accept that?  Absolutely they will.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Again I ask, why would the creator of the universe write an incomplete book that confuses everyone. Why be both all powerful and completely invisible at the same time but then claim to only want every soul to believe in you. If he really wanted all of us to believe he would appear to each of us in person. This is easy for him. Not doing anything for 2000 years just doesn't make sense. It can be explained away in super complex ways, but it doesn't make sense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's too bad you never found any competent help.
There are so many issues with translating comprehensive languages into English. It's like stuffing 100lbs of sand in a 50lbs box, you're going to inevitably lose something.
Every word of the Bible is true, but the English versions are so bad that in some cases it's tough to consider them Bibles.
One of the best examples of how poorly suited English is as a translation medium is the term elohim. I've never seen someone who wasn't fluent in Hebrew even get close to making sense of it.

One revelation that typically help people who've given up is the prospective of ancient people. The Bible wasn't written to us, and we don't have the education and world view of it's intended audience.
While the Bible is true, it's not everything.
There is a lot of history and culture the original consumers of the old testament knew that we don't even have easy access to, much less know and understand.
For most people the Bible may as well be a cuneiform tablet, just reading it like a modern narrative will only get you so far.
You can get the basics, Jesus Christ became human and sacrificed himself because that was the only viable option to redeem humanity after Eden, Babel, and some of the events Enoch talked about.
But digging deeper with only a translation to a crude language and zero historical context is a recipe for total confusion.
You apparently tried, but there's a reason why people dedicate their lives to teaching the scriptures, it's not something you can just figure out.

Hopefully after you've had time to reflect you'll come back and work the kinks out.
Dr. Michael Heiser's work will be a big help.

Again I ask, why would the creator of the universe write an incomplete book that confuses everyone. Why be both all powerful and completely invisible at the same time but then claim to only want every soul to believe in you. If he really wanted all of us to believe he would appear to each of us in person. This is easy for him. Not doing anything for 2000 years just doesn't make sense. It can be explained away in super complex ways, but it doesn't make sense

Because you need to have the intelligence and faith to understand it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
My mom has taken Christianity and turned into an absolute nutcase over it, I'm glad she didn't try to convert me when I was a child like she tries to when I'm an adult.

It's literally impossible for her not to bring up something having to do with religion when we have conversations, it's like speaking to an Atheist or vegan.

I've never really harbored any ill will against any church, but this particular one has absolutely ruined communication between me and my mom. Thankfully my dad actually has other things going on in his life that he understands the words "no thanks, I'm good".
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Human interpretation of God is badly flawed.

If you think God is the cause of human suffering, you don’t know God.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What denomination where you?

It sounds like you had other issues with
your Church overall.

I'll pray for you and your family to find the path
again.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't know any of these things, though, one has to wonder why books written by apostles were left out. Are those not likely to be contemporary with Christ... you know, cause they were there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well how do you know that God was not behind the Nixean Council??? Also, did you know the current Gospels are the earliest records of Christ…closest to the actual events therefore more than likely to be accurate…

I don't know any of these things, though, one has to wonder why books written by apostles were left out. Are those not likely to be contemporary with Christ... you know, cause they were there?

But the ones used are written or by word from the apostles…
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jews returning.

Red heifers reappearing.

How far off are we from needing a “mark” on the forehead or wrist in order to buy or sell?  Two years ago that would’ve been almost unheard of.  Now there’s talk of injecting a chip as a vaccine passport which we will need to go into businesses.  Do you think most people will now accept that?  Absolutely they will.

View Quote

Bring it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Religion is good for society as a whole by basically keeping people from doing bad things. But yeah, it's all made up.
View Quote

I think this as well, but religions usefulness has reached a point of diminishing returns, and is becoming regressive. Islam, the Catholic faith, and Evangalism are prime examples.                                    As far as morality is concerned, We are going to have to take our religious training wheels off and learn to ride our bikes like big boys and girls.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your thread title and scripture don't align, and you claim to have read the Bible.  In the word, Christ clearly states that those who left the faith (apostates) were never believers to start.  If you are an unbeliever, then fine.  But don't show up claiming to have outsmarted God.
View Quote

Well said, sir. I believe many of the people who “outsmarted God”, let their own egos take control. It can be frustrating to come up short on answers, time and again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Human interpretation of God is badly flawed.

If you think God is the cause of human suffering, you don’t know God.
View Quote

If god is the ultimate creator, and knower of all, your statement is false.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And I would submit that there is no faith that hasn’t used it’s religion for evil purposes at one point or another and that includes the religion of leftists and communists which has been the most evil of all.
View Quote

I'm Pagan, most specifically, Asatru. I follow the teachings my grandmother handed down to me as a young adult and I've spent a lot of years learning more. It's a faith that doesn't dictate what I "shall not" do, but rather, encourages the respect for all and tells what I should do. It also carries a healthy respect for protecting my own and living a fearless life.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Jews returning.

Red heifers reappearing.

View Quote

Will it get you to the head of the coolaid line?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
christian? or pagan??????

sacrifices? why would an all powerful (biblical depiction) god need blood sacrifices?

"shall bring the blood, and sprinkle the blood round about upon the altar that is by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation"

"burnt sacrifice, an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord"

seriously, what the fuck is shit?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258837/Screen_Shot_2021-07-04_at_12_31_50_PM_pn-2001413.JPG
View Quote

If you don't have a basic understanding of the blood sacrifice traditions of the Hebrews, the significance of the crucifixion will forever elude you.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm Pagan, most specifically, Asatru. I follow the teachings my grandmother handed down to me as a young adult and I've spent a lot of years learning more. It's a faith that doesn't dictate what I "shall not" do, but rather, encourages the respect for all and tells what I should do. It also carries a healthy respect for protecting my own and living a fearless life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m ok with this, I also had a couple grandparents and one great grandfather who were not necessarily pagans but did teach me about the faith as it was taught to them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to catholic school k-5. I turned away from God and Jesus for quite some time because the bible and organized religion are really pretty absurd.

I've somewhat recently begun praying everyday and just started rereading the bible.

It's tuff to explain my expanded understanding of it all and acceptance of it's imperfections but as an example the story of the genesis of man in the bible and the scientific theory of primordial ooze for biogenesis are nearly identical. The bible just kind of simplifies it all in to something that a child can extract deeper meaning from.

Lets not forget the bible has been translated and edited a million times.  

Ultimately i keep coming back to the episode of firefly. You dont fix faith River. It fixes you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hard pass, thanks. I grew up in a Baptist household. Saw all sorts of shit that wasn't not consistent with Christian values, from child abuse to adulterous behavior between the preacher and a paritioner. Saw my Vatholic cousins get abortions on the advice of a Catholic Aunt and show up on Sunday for communion.  I've probably met half a dozen people in my years that were trying to live by the teachings of christ. Not interested in the fantasy anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the thinking is that the other books weren't by the authors or from lessor reliable.  You can read them if you want, you can read other books that claim Devine inspiration and if you are born of the same Spirit, you should have no problem knowing what was God breathed and what has another breath on it lol. Learn to recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit because He testifies to Jesus being the Way, Truth and Life.

Hard pass, thanks. I grew up in a Baptist household. Saw all sorts of shit that wasn't not consistent with Christian values, from child abuse to adulterous behavior between the preacher and a paritioner. Saw my Vatholic cousins get abortions on the advice of a Catholic Aunt and show up on Sunday for communion.  I've probably met half a dozen people in my years that were trying to live by the teachings of christ. Not interested in the fantasy anymore.

that is your fantasy, not the truth, lol seek God much?  for your self?  he is out there and wants you to know Him......so all this cry cry God isn't doing this or that....if you didn't believe he exists you wouldn't be so pissed at Him.  fight to know Him or curse Him,  you are made at people and blaming God for their short comings.  you ar'nt a fool.  the fool says in his heart there is no God
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#26]

... and if the significance of the crucifixion eludes you, you have no hope of understanding the Eucharist. But, I promised myself I'd be good in this thread and not attack my "fundamentalist" brethren's similar... incomplete understanding. But, you are inadvertently touching on the heart of the entirety of Christian theology, even as you try to be dismissive about it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This has been coming for about 10 years, it started the first time I read through the bible in whole myself. I was raised in the church since year 0 and believed (or so I thought) in the bible in it's entirely. I was taught that every word of the Bible is truth, that there is not even one error, but in being taught growing up, we were all taught single verses or chapters and how those words might apply to our life today. The bible as a whole is a tough thing to teach...

In reading though the bible myself for the first time I saw a God that was supposed to unchanging, change in the extreme over the course of the Bible. He talks about both not tempting people and then tempts people. About not killing innocent people and then punishing his people for not killing innocent people. He makes a promise, then changes it. He sets up rules that are to stand forever with no room for that ever changing, then Jesus changes all that.

There are over a hundred contradictions in the bible you never hear about in church because you have to admit there's a lot wrong with it. Even the first 2 chapters (Genesis 1 and 2) tell of completely different orders of creation. A huge contradiction on the first page. The arguments for why this is are extremely thin.

One of the biggest things that stood out to me is the promise of heaven with Jesus' message. In the old testament there is Sheol, which is pretty much a place of darkness. A Medium even brings Samuel back from the dead and he talks about this.  Then in Daniel, he writes about Eternal Life to get Jews to Martyr themselves after he told them not to fight and realized they needed some encouragement to fight. This concept was huge issue for me.

It was about 100 years before Jesus that the idea of Heaven and Hell became really popular with Jews, this is the hot topic and the middle east is struggling with the idea of Heaven and looking for answers.

Looking back on my life in the church, I am shocked at how often I was guilted into not questioning the bible. If you quotation things, you need more faith (not answers). The bible is very clear that all good things come from God and bad things do not (except for when they do).

How is it that a God that is all powerful creates the Earth, then over the course of the Bible is not able to defeat some enemies, Satan is given more or less free reign of the Earth, allows so much evil in the world. He talks so freely with Adam and Eve, then more crypticly as time goes on (only in secret most of the time, appearing as things like bushes and visions) then goes silent for 2000 years!!!???

I spent decades talking to God and believing 100% in the teachings of Jesus, but never once heard him. I cried at night as a kid terrified I wouldn't do something right and end up in Hell. I grew up in a "good" church, but looking back it was guilt and fear that made me believe. I don't want my kids to have that guilt. It hard but my wife (who separately came to the exact same conclusions) and I are completely out.
View Quote

Troll post. And for what it's worth, because God wants us to CHOOSE him. If you actually read the bible, he told you this was coming. Isn't showing love to someone a choice? It's actually very simple.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Such an inviting faith. Jesus would be proud.

ETA: You know the sad thing is this candid response does more to drive people away from religion than all the trolling and atheist posts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

So Christian
Much gospel
Wow

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

that is your fantasy, not the truth, lol seek God much?  for your self?  he is out there and wants you to know Him......so all this cry cry God isn't doing this or that....if you didn't believe he exists you wouldn't be so pissed at Him.  fight to know Him or curse Him,  you are made at people and blaming God for their short comings.  you ar'nt a fool.  the fool says in his heart there is no God
View Quote

Da fuck are you on about? I don't blame any god for anything. I blame people for their shortcomings. I'm not pissed at anyone. I do believe that if a faith truly speaks to a person's soul, they easily follow the teachings and feel like they belong. When I see so many people not living congruent with their religion, i have to wonder if it's the people or the faith that's broken.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

4 years old. My parents come home and tell my my best friend/5 year old sister is dead (car accident)

Dad died a slow painful death due to disease at 56.

Lost 4 pregnancies.  Held my still born child.

Many personal medical issues.

Wife diagnosed with the same cancer tha t killed her sister.

God has used EVERY ONE of these things for good in ways I could never understand at the time and in ways that cannot be explained any other way.

I don’t know why for me they affirmed my faith and for people who’ve experienced similar it ended it.

View Quote

Because you didn't let your heart grow cold and closed and chose to live life with a thankful attitude, i would presume.

In time our father has given you insight to see how he can take a thread and weave it to produce a wonder that no man or circumstance can explain.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No one has ever explained to you the arc of the bible. You are looking at the details without the overall arc. I tell my kids that killing people is bad and yet if someone was trying to snatch one of them i wouldn't hesitate to put them down. Does that mean im a contradiction? Or is life more complicated than you give it credit?
View Quote

This is how I view apparent contradictions as well: They're a hint that the seemingly contradictory words are meant to apply to different contexts, or that we're taking linguistic absolutes too literally.
It's the process of resolving those passages that helps us draw the contextual boundaries and better understand when the absolutes are literal vs. dramatic or even hyperbolic language used to emphasize the rarity of exceptions [within the appropriate context].

It takes a lot of discernment and good faith effort to reconcile some things, but it's important to remember that God, Jesus, and prophets speak to people in language that was most accessible to its original audience, where emotion and emphasis bore better fruits than legalistic precision.

A good rule of thumb is that we should ease off the strict constructionism when it becomes a stumbling block to understanding and obedience.  If the Bible speaks in terms of some absolute that sounds pathological or insane, we should ask, "Assuming we interpret this in a more sane way, what is God trying to tell us here about His character, especially when I take this passage as part of the greater whole?  What is God trying to communicate about sinful vs. righteous living or our proper eternal focus?  What lesson might Jordan Peterson draw from this, for that matter?"  We're asked to have a faithful, seeking, and obedient heart, and sometimes that requires trusting God on things we don't fully understand, until the time comes when time and perspective lead us to the same view (the hardest for me was understanding why God cares so much about sexual morality, but it's becoming more apparent every day).

We also have to understand that God revealed Himself in baby steps, communicating only what His audience of the time would understand.  God doesn't fundamentally change His nature, but He does change His lesson plan and strategy for what He's trying to teach us at any given stage of our development.

We also can't really hold God to the morality that was given to us for the purpose of defining interpersonal boundaries and glorifying God: Not only does the Lord of Hosts have sovereignty over many (all) souls in a way that we do not, but God also has perspective beyond ours.  We see all the people God slaughters, or has slaughtered, or allows to be slaughtered in the Old Testament, and we're horrified.  Meanwhile, as far as God is concerned, killing them off early might have been the best way to save their more permanent souls from irreparable damage by a degenerate culture, etc.  Humans have no authority or complete perspective to make such presumptions (I'm looking at you, Catholic Church and your Judas Cradles), but God naturally would.  Faith means trusting that God is God and inherently right, and that He will deal fairly and lovingly with the *souls* of those born before Christ, or who were slaughtered collectively, or who were born somewhere even today where they really had no chance, etc.  Faith means coming to a level of comfort with the idea that there are unseen spiritual things happening which, if only we knew them, more of the tragedy and mystery would make sense to us.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Let’s pretend for a moment that God is real, the Bible is 100% true and accurate.

We cannot understand it from God’s perspective. We cannot see as He can see.

We can see yesterday and today and plan for a future we can’t control, that’s all. God can see everything: past present and future.

He allows things, He doesn’t do things, that hurt because He can see how those things will affect His kingdom, His plans, His purpose, not ours.

I saw my best friend from childhood suffer and die a miserable death that spanned 2 years. My dad killed himself. I’ve been sick for years. I watched my granny lose her mind and wither away after her son killed himself and her 1st grandson died. My granddad died horribly of cancer. All these were prayed for daily.

God doesn’t care about how life affects us, He cares about how life affects His purpose. This world is dead already. He’s not trying to fix it or save it. He’s trying to get us out of here alive.

He doesn’t make us suffer. He doesn’t tempt us. He doesn’t torture us. And He doesn’t make all our problems go away unless doing so helps Him get more people out of this life alive,  and He doesn’t have to guess. He can see what will work best. 10,000 years from now, how we suffer in this life won’t matter at all.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that right there is a big problem - and just one of many things that gets me labeled as a heretic by nearly all modern denominations despite being a believer.

"Divinely inspired" should not be conflated with "infallibly correct", especially throughout not only thousands of years, but also translations between many different languages. The supposed "perfection" of any given translation is something that should give anyone pause, including the faithful.

Finally! Someone else who thinks like I do. I'm a believer as well but I struggle with many aspects of the Bible, especially the fact that the Catholics had centuries to create what they wanted out of it. I treat it more as a collection of morality fables based on history. Do I believe Jesus was delivered to save us from our selves and died for my sins? Absolutely. Do I believe the Genisis story, no, no I don't.

My daughter will still be dedicated to our church (a great non denomination worship based church) and will be baptized when she's old enough to understand

Why ?
What evidence is there that it's true?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#35]
@Macchina
Quoted:

View Quote

References?

View Quote

Never hear? That's just flat out false.

You've been under a rock:
https://archive.org/details/B-001-014-054
https://www.amazon.com/Alleged-Bible-Contradictions-Explained-George/dp/9992429844
https://www.amazon.com/Alleged-Discrepancies-Bible-John-Haley/dp/0883689855
https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Sayings-Bible-Walter-Kaiser/dp/0830815406
https://carm.org/the-bible/bible-difficulties/

"You have to admit there's a lot wrong with it..."  Ok. You said it. why should *you* believe yourself? Much less anyone else? You're just telling people they have to agree with you ... just ... because.

"different orders of creation" - um ... yes? And? 2:4-25 is another account of the sixth day. If someone explains something again, that means they have to be contradicting what they said before? Because they're explaining it again?

One of the biggest things that stood out to me is the promise of heaven with Jesus' message. In the old testament there is Sheol, which is pretty much a place of darkness. A Medium even brings Samuel back from the dead and he talks about this.
View Quote

Not sure what the point of this bit is ...?

Then in Daniel, he writes about Eternal Life to get Jews to Martyr themselves after he told them not to fight and realized they needed some encouragement to fight. This concept was huge issue for me.
View Quote

To martyr themselves?  Did you get that from the meaning of the text or did you add that yourself?  Strikes me as nothing more than a rank insult.

View Quote

I still don't get what you're on about.

Looking back on my life in the church, I am shocked at how often I was guilted into not questioning the bible. If you quotation things, you need more faith (not answers).
View Quote

I'm in my fifth decade and was born into church too and that's the exact *opposite* of my personal experience. That's not a christian or biblical thing at all, its just a human weakness. If what you are saying is true, it's sad and wrong to have happened.

The bible is very clear that all good things come from God and bad things do not (except for when they do).
View Quote

No, it's not, and that you can even think this is true enough to post it makes me wonder if this post you've done is just made up. You say you're shocked that you weren't allowed to question. Ok, if you're honest about this bit and are not just using it as an emotional rationalization, give references. If it's true and you think it's bad for people, show your work.

View Quote

"... not able to defeat some enemies" ... what have you been reading? Did you completely skip revelation (and most of the rest of the book)? God didn't "allow"evil and satan. He planned it all out to work towards the greatest possible good. Did you skip genesis 50:20? Did you ever read about the day of judgement where everyone is given what they deserve according to their words, thoughts, and deeds, and what is wrong with creation is fixed?

As for God speaking clearly or not ... so ... what? How does our liking or not liking that mean anything more than we do or don't like it?

View Quote

All those decades and you completely missed the Gospel. It's no wonder you are upset.

You can't and couldn't and never could earn your way by doing something right to not end up in hell. God cannot be God and accept less than perfection as being perfection, and perfection is what's required to *earn* your way out of getting justice for what you've done. Again, You can't do that and never could. "Have an experience, get some emotional goosebumps, pray a prayer and than work hard to earn your way into the good place" IS NOT THE GOSPEL!  That results in ... where you are.

Guilt? Fear? Yes, those are good things to have ... about things we are guilt of, and things we should fear. Only an insensate idiot doesn't have fear when they're at the beach watching a 200 ft wave coming inshore faster than they could ever get away from it. But that's only the start. If what you say is true of your experience, you never understood the depth of your guilt - because you thought / acted as if you could earn your way "onto God's good side." You can't and couldn't. If you ever behaved and thought that way, you didn't know your head from a hole in the ground. If you never realize that you can't earn your way into God's good graces than you're hung up on yourself being good enough, somehow, on some tiny island, even if you think (retardedly) God would even say your imperfection is acceptable as perfection.

You've been afraid of hell and the people around you, *not God* who gives what you and I deserve.

God saves his enemies, while they are undeserving and imperfect:

(Romans 5:6-11)
[6] For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
[7] For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
[9] Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
[10] For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
[11] More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

He didn't make us able to earn our way, he didn't make it possible for those he died for to be saved from justice ... he actually SAVED them from justice. Full stop.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is how I view apparent contradictions as well: They're a hint that the seemingly contradictory words are meant to apply to different contexts, or that we're taking linguistic absolutes too literally.
It's the process of resolving those passages that helps us draw the contextual boundaries and better understand when the absolutes are literal vs. dramatic or even hyperbolic language used to emphasize the rarity of exceptions [within the appropriate context].

It takes a lot of discernment and good faith effort to reconcile some things, but it's important to remember that God, Jesus, and prophets speak to people in language that was most accessible to its original audience, where emotion and emphasis bore better fruits than legalistic precision.

A good rule of thumb is that we should ease off the strict constructionism when it becomes a stumbling block to understanding and obedience.  If the Bible speaks in terms of some absolute that sounds pathological or insane, we should ask, "Assuming we interpret this in a more sane way, what is God trying to tell us here about His character, especially when I take this passage as part of the greater whole?  What is God trying to communicate about sinful vs. righteous living or our proper eternal focus?  What lesson might Jordan Peterson draw from this, for that matter?"  We're asked to have a faithful, seeking, and obedient heart, and sometimes that requires trusting God on things we don't fully understand, until the time comes when time and perspective lead us to the same view (the hardest for me was understanding why God cares so much about sexual morality, but it's becoming more apparent every day).

We also have to understand that God revealed Himself in baby steps, communicating only what His audience of the time would understand.  God doesn't fundamentally change His nature, but He does change His lesson plan and strategy for what He's trying to teach us at any given stage of our development.

We also can't really hold God to the morality that was given to us for the purpose of defining interpersonal boundaries and glorifying God: Not only does the Lord of Hosts have sovereignty over many (all) souls in a way that we do not, but God also has perspective beyond ours.  We see all the people God slaughters, or has slaughtered, or allows to be slaughtered in the Old Testament, and we're horrified.  Meanwhile, as far as God is concerned, killing them off early might have been the best way to save their more permanent souls from irreparable damage by a degenerate culture, etc.  Humans have no authority or complete perspective to make such presumptions (I'm looking at you, Catholic Church and your Judas Cradles), but God naturally would.  Faith means trusting that God is God and inherently right, and that He will deal fairly and lovingly with the *souls* of those born before Christ, or who were slaughtered collectively, or who were born somewhere even today where they really had no chance, etc.  Faith means coming to a level of comfort with the idea that there are unseen spiritual things happening which, if only we knew them, more of the tragedy and mystery would make sense to us.
View Quote
And how does one evaluate if something is still a relevant rule or command, or if it is just the way God chose to revealed himself to those people at that time?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#38]
If faith brought you good things in life, and you enjoyed fellowship with your church, there is no reason to turn away from it.  Maybe a different church, or some time with a pastor you like would help.

I'm an atheist, not an anti-theist, and would hate to see you become unhappy by making a change you had not fully explored.  I'm happy being faithless, because I have been my whole life, but have seen friends with faith lose it, then become unhappy without it.

Good luck to you on your journey.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you don't have a basic understanding of the blood sacrifice traditions of the Hebrews, the significance of the crucifixion will forever elude you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... and if the significance of the crucifixion eludes you, you have no hope of understanding the Eucharist. But, I promised myself I'd be good in this thread and not attack my "fundamentalist" brethren's similar... incomplete understanding. But, you are inadvertently touching on the heart of the entirety of Christian theology, even as you try to be dismissive about it.

oh, ok.

i need to familiarize myself with a different book, traditions, and customs to understand this one book and traditions, makes perfect sense

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Then again, apostacy supposed to be on the way...
View Quote

You are correct. OP is now part of that movement.

OP I think you need to speak to a Christian counselor or pastor/elder in your church body. I have always believed in once saved always saved as in salvation and redemption.

If you are part of Jesus's flock, he'll never leave or forsake you. I'll pray for you and yours.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If that is your take, I think you need to do more praying.
View Quote

These are fingernail marks inside the gas chamber at Auschwitz.

They were made my people who were praying as hard as they could to the same god you pray to.

Do you think they needed to do more? Were they doing it wrong?

If we could bring them back to life in a magic time machine, what do you think they would tell us about the power of prayer?

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's okay. You can leave the church but Jesus will not leave you. He'll be there waiting, when you are ready.
View Quote

Correct, we may leave Him but He will never leave us.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

oh, ok.

i need to familiarize myself with a different book, traditions, and customs to understand this one book and traditions, makes perfect sense

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258837/1625417140658_jpg-2001754.JPG
View Quote

Top kek!
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Sooner or later...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Your reasons seem more emotional that logical. I’m not telling you to believe in God. I don’t know what I believe either, but you just seem bitter. Maybe take a break and reevaluate things later.
View Quote

Yeah I don't get the bitter non believers. If you don't belive then WTF are you mad about? I don't belive all the "right" things because I think there are inconsistencies that give me doubts but many Atheists sound to me like children angry at father because things aren't fair.

If you don't believe in God IDK how you're mad that he didn't make life fair.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So what did these ten omitted books say ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fact is, a book compiled by a non Christian, 300 years after the death of Christ and had the sole purpose of exerting control over people.  They purposefully excluded 10 known "books" including some written by apostles, in order to create a bible that would support control, and that decision wasn't made until an additional meeting of the Nixean Council in 397. It's all about control.

So what did these ten omitted books say ?

They probably don't talk much.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How did we ever survive as a species before religion came along if what we now call "morality" isn't somewhat instinctual?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't see how it could actually work in theoryI think it was the foundation for society and without it would be a much different world

But I just don't believe it

You can be a good and moral person without believing in God.

ETA:  Religion can be corrupted and used as a justification for horrific crimes like ISIS.

To them those crimes make them a good and moral person.

I wonder where your basis for good and moral comes from?

How did we ever survive as a species before religion came along if what we now call "morality" isn't somewhat instinctual?

People follow their consciences and those who never heard the truth will be judged for violating their consciences.

Humans can be "decent people" without the truth but what they can't do and never will be able to do is have *any* way to coherently and logically answer "but how do you know that's right or wrong?"

People just follow their consciences utterly ignoring this reality and are happily bluepilled.

Without a rational answer for "how do you know that's wrong" it's impossible to condemn the gas chambers at the death camps, the holodomor, or even say that there is such a thing in this world as evil.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They were made my people who were praying as hard as they could to the same god you pray to.

If we could bring them back to life in a magic time machine, what do you think they would tell us about the power of prayer?

https://i.imgur.com/MD4LAQ1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that is your take, I think you need to do more praying.

“1At that time some of those present told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2To this He replied, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered this fate? 3No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam collapsed on them: Do you think that they were more sinful than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

Jesus prayed that the cup of the crucifixion would pass from Him. Yet it did not. I’m not sure your point. Everyone talks about “magic sky daddy” but outside health and wealth preachers and congregations there’s nothing scriptural to back up everything going out way because we prayed about it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have had that thought too and many more over the years. My belief is that they were praying to be saved from death when they were actually saved for eternity starting at the second coming.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What denomination where you?

It sounds like you had other issues with
your Church overall.

I'll pray for you and your family to find the path
again.
View Quote

I get it that you and a lot of the other people are trying to be kind, but he told you what the problem is:  the actual words in the book that is the foundation of your faith.  If he reads it more, they still remain.

I ran into the same thing in my early twenties.  It started with the realization that for most of my life, I'd being praying and never "hearing" anything back.  Never feeling the "presence" of God.  So I read the bible.  A lot.  And I found many of the same inconsistencies.  It especially bothered me how different the God of the old Testament is, compared to Jesus.

I'm not an atheist, but I do not believe what the Bible says about the creator of the universe is true.  It is words, written by men, and men are frequently full of shit.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top