Interesting stuff...I might be interested.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a Pmag Ponzi scheme?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Are'nt those things usually scams?

I would love to save money and do stuff at home, but everyone thats shown up in a local paper has turned out to be some flavor of scam after some quick research online.

There are lots of scams, but also lots of legit jobs. I won't post anything here that looks like a scam. I'm also going to highlight jobs that I can recommend, either through experience or research, as extremely safe. For instance, you don't really have to worry about Apple or American Express giving you a phone job and not getting paid for it .

The easiest way to tell if something is a scam is to ask yourself 'Am I really going to be doing something?'. If you're going to be answering phones, making outbound calls, writing articles, etc... then you're a lot safer than something that promises money for 'Virtually NO Work!!!'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
do not look for "at home jobs", they are targeted for lazy people and pay shit. Instead look for "rural jobs" "telecomute job", and look at people that are able to live outside the city and what do they do. Writers, programmers...creators of content or products in general.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I opened an Amazon store.

The trick is finding a product that will sell profitably.

It's a lot easier than building your own e-commerce website and unless you're the manufacturer it's a lot easier to get hits on Amazon than on your own site.

The fees are a lot lower than on eBay.

Ya, Amazon store looks like a nice gig. I looked into it a while ago, but I could not figure out the fees for the Amazon fulfillment for the product I had in mind. They don't make that part easy

I'm still working on something, but w/o the Amazon fulfillment...just dropped shipped.

Speed

For non-FBA it's a straight $39.99/month + a percentage of gross.  The percentage varies by department.  99% of what I sell has an 8% fee attached to it.

Drop shipping would be awesome if you can do it - that way you're not spending a ton of your money on inventory up front.

If you have the cash and are willing to spend it on inventory you should be able to use the FBA calculator to determine FBA fees.

FBA fees are going up on 2/18/13.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I know when most people think "work at home" they think sitting in front of a computer. However, I am a professional auto detailer and can tell you that there is very good side income ability from auto detailing. I know many guys on some of the professional detailing forums that make anywhere from 250-1000 a week part time, mostly on weekends. You need to do some serious research in learning the craft of high end detailing, do some practice, then start posting some ads on craigslist, local car forums, even get a simple free website and place it on Google Places.

I know this is a little off the beaten path, but if you don't mind working with your hands it can be a nice income earner part time. Full time detailing is a whole different beast however, do not be confused.

My website is www.visualprodetailing.com, if anyone doubts I am who I say I am. :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are'nt those things usually scams?

I would love to save money and do stuff at home, but everyone thats shown up in a local paper has turned out to be some flavor of scam after some quick research online.

The company I work for is about as real as it gets.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post 7  

Quoted:

Now can we reply?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Are you going for eight seperate posts in one thread that are TL:DR?  

Mundane boring shit is much more fun to read if I have to scroll past your avatar 8 times.

Great Idea! Piss on the thread.

Douche.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Post whore thread?

He's good at it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I know when most people think "work at home" they think sitting in front of a computer. However, I am a professional auto detailer and can tell you that there is very good side income ability from auto detailing. I know many guys on some of the professional detailing forums that make anywhere from 250-1000 a week part time, mostly on weekends. You need to do some serious research in learning the craft of high end detailing, do some practice, then start posting some ads on craigslist, local car forums, even get a simple free website and place it on Google Places.

I know this is a little off the beaten path, but if you don't mind working with your hands it can be a nice income earner part time. Full time detailing is a whole different beast however, do not be confused.

My website is www.visualprodetailing.com, if anyone doubts I am who I say I am. :)

Yeah, the possibilities when you get off the computer are endless too. I remember reading about a woman in Northern CA who lost her job, so she took her spray bottle and a few rags and started selling cleaning services part-time on Craigslist or something like that. Within a year she had 4 or 5 employees working full-time. It just happened to be something the area wanted at a price it was willing to pay.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I opened an Amazon store.

The trick is finding a product that will sell profitably.

It's a lot easier than building your own e-commerce website and unless you're the manufacturer it's a lot easier to get hits on Amazon than on your own site.

The fees are a lot lower than on eBay.

Ya, Amazon store looks like a nice gig. I looked into it a while ago, but I could not figure out the fees for the Amazon fulfillment for the product I had in mind. They don't make that part easy

I'm still working on something, but w/o the Amazon fulfillment...just dropped shipped.

Speed

For non-FBA it's a straight $39.99/month + a percentage of gross.  The percentage varies by department.  99% of what I sell has an 8% fee attached to it.

Drop shipping would be awesome if you can do it - that way you're not spending a ton of your money on inventory up front.

If you have the cash and are willing to spend it on inventory you should be able to use the FBA calculator to determine FBA fees.

FBA fees are going up on 2/18/13.

Ya, that part was simple, but I had "bulky items" and there were calculations w/ asterisks and more calculations on another page for that...it got fucked up and they couldn't give me a straight answer via phone call

It's still looks like a cool program, just not for bulky items

Speed

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why don't you just GTFO of this thread? I'm tired, I have a killer headache, and starting to get cranky because I'm trying to do something nice for people who are having a difficult time in their lives before I have to get back to making money for my own family tomorrow.  

OP, ignore the douchebags.  I've been watching from the other thread, and want to say "thanks" for what you've put up thus far.  I'll be (at least) looking into the options.  I have a good paying job (that I -loathe-) right now.  If I could make enough "from home" to go to a lower-paying job that I like, it'd be worth it.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you just GTFO of this thread? I'm tired, I have a killer headache, and starting to get cranky because I'm trying to do something nice for people who are having a difficult time in their lives before I have to get back to making money for my own family tomorrow.  

OP, ignore the douchebags.  I've been watching from the other thread, and want to say "thanks" for what you've put up thus far.  I'll be (at least) looking into the options.  I have a good paying job (that I -loathe-) right now.  If I could make enough "from home" to go to a lower-paying job that I like, it'd be worth it.  

Thank you.

Yeah, it's just frustrating because now as I move around my posts I have to be reminded of him every single time.

Turns out this is going to take longer than I thought, there's just so much out there . I'll probably finish the phone jobs late tonight, maybe finish the writing jobs too, and then go from there.

Thanks, by the way.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
While I realize a lot of the jobs may not be super high paying, doing something from home may allow a lot of people to change where home is to a more affordable area and get away from the high priced metropolitan rat race.

Thanks for your insight OP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

While I realize a lot of the jobs may not be super high paying, doing something from home may allow a lot of people to change where home is to a more affordable area and get away from the high priced metropolitan rat race.

Thanks for your insight OP.

Yeah, the savings in gas, not eating out, not to mention the extra time for not having to commute, the benefits all add up. Or, extra income for whatever you want/need.

One thing to note about the writing jobs is that it's possible to write 2-3 articles per hour. I have a sibling who does strictly writing, gets paid $15 for most articles, and does about 3 per hour... there are opportunities for decent pay.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks op, im definitely going to look into this for my wife
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thanks op, im definitely going to look into this for my wife

You want the sammich-maker to be a bread-winner too? Hope you're planning on spending more time in the kitchen scrubbing counters

eta: btw I hate the word 'sammich'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I suck at writing and have to many kids to use the phone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Don't worry, there's more than just those two options .
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry, there's more than just those two options .

Cool. Don't listen to the douchebags. They are everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Great information OP. You've done a lot of research.

Ignore the douches.

FBHO
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for posting OP!

Very interested and looking forward to the rest.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagging this shit.. Ive got a lot of down time at work, If I could make some extra money, Im down.. Wanted to look into stuff like this but always end up on a "pay 3 easy payments of 99.99 to get started" site..   Thx OP
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great information OP. You've done a lot of research.

Ignore the douches.

FBHO

+1 thanks for your time on this OP

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#27]
This info is very good. Thanks alot for taking the time to provide it, and I hope you didn't take my joke on the 1st page the wrong way.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to touch up on a little on how 1-800Flowers works, as, well it's kind of no secret around here they are my employer.

I was originally hired as a seasonal temp to work Valentine's Day.  The work was 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day doing customer service and sales calls.

However, probability is great, like in my case, that you'll be hired full time.  Then you work 5 days a week, with 2 off.  Pay starts at $9/hour, going up to $9.27/hour.  Other opportunities to advance are available(such as being a trainer to train new agents, which is what I want to do) and also to be a manager for the holiday agents.  

Some people get to work holidays and then get hired on, some eventually make "core" or full-time like I did.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Jaxson.

Not gonna dive in, but it's interesting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I pointed my college student daughter to this thread.  We live in a very rural area and she's currently enrolled at the local community college.  She hasn't had any luck finding a job but she flipped when I showed her this thread.

Thank you for taking the time to show people how this works.  I would never be able to come close to the volume of information you have provided here if I took a year to research it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#31]
+1, Thanks OP. Can always use extra cash and it's very nice that you spend your days off helping other members.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This fucking guy
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
do not look for "at home jobs", they are targeted for lazy people and pay shit. Instead look for "rural jobs" "telecomute job", and look at people that are able to live outside the city and what do they do. Writers, programmers...creators of content or products in general.

I think I just had a stroke looking at your avatar.  At very least a mild seizure...

ETA:  Thanks to the OP for the ideas and the effort put into this.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Post 7  

Quoted:

Now can we reply?

Mundane boring shit is much more fun to read if I have to scroll past your avatar 8 times.

agreed
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I can vouch for alpineaccess.  

I worked for them for a year or so.

Easy to move up, frequent bonuses, free training, etc.

Thanks for the post OP. I'm looking for any kind of income right now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the info, Jaxson. I appreciate it, and tagging for further info.

I've done a bit of this in the past, made a bit at it, but never seriously pursued it. Maybe it's time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I work from home.  I am a CPA with my own work, but I am also employed with a software maker.  I manage a team of CPAs, EAs, and Attorneys.  Granted, a position like mine is somewhat difficult to obtain.  I was in the right place at the right time.  Education, experience, and license was necessary.  I have a master's degree, too.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for this.  I will spend some time going through some of the links.  I have some extra expenses that have come along and have been thinking of a P/T job.  Finding one that works with my F/T work schedule might be tough.  Maybe some of your links can lead to something.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for all the time and effort OP!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Post 7  

Quoted:

Now can we reply?

JaxsonRaine, Speaking for myself I appreciate your investment in this topic. People that are looking for income to support themselves instead of looking for support from the Government will find this infromation helpful, please do not be dissuaded from helping others.

Cheers to you!
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks & tag.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I do medical transcription at home. One of my accounts pays me an average of $13 an hour and the other is over $25 (pay is based on production).  I could literally work from anywhere on the planet that has reliable Internet access and an electrical outlet for my laptop.

You wouldn't start at that wage,  I have years of experience.  I do it as an independent contractor but there are employee positions with benefits available too.  

There are lots of jobs if you have experience. Getting the first job can be tricky but it can be done. There are schools that will train you and can also help you get your first job. They vary in quality, do your homework before you spend your money. Some community colleges or adult ed programs teach it too, they are very inexpensive.

The mecca of transcription job listings:

www.mtjobs.com

The Arfcom of medical transcription (It's not a very big site but there's a ton of info and you can ask questions)

www.mtstars.com
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I do medical transcription at home. One of my accounts pays me an average of $13 an hour and the other is over $25 (pay is based on production).  I could literally work from anywhere on the planet that has reliable Internet access and an electrical outlet for my laptop.

You wouldn't start at that wage,  I have years of experience.  I do it as an independent contractor but there are employee positions with benefits available too.  

There are lots of jobs if you have experience. Getting the first job can be tricky but it can be done. There are schools that will train you and can also help you get your first job. They vary in quality, do your homework before you spend your money. Some community colleges or adult ed programs teach it too, they are very inexpensive.

www.mtjobs.com

The Arfcom of medical transcription (It's not a very big site but there's a ton of info and you can ask questions)

www.mtstars.com

This.  I did med trans for many years.  Being able to work at home and have a flexible schedule kept me employed for probably an extra five years as compared to the getting up every day and going to the workplace.   I finally did have to stop working mainly because the rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmunes I have slowed me down and I could not meet the minimum line count every day.  Also the company I was working for was sold out and they started really dicking with the system and making it very hard to work (MQ -- the CTD of the transcription world).  So I said enough.  I still miss my old accounts.  I also had a really great local account, but they decided to close the office.  

If I ever get on a treatment regimen that does not include a lot of side effects, I may try to get back into it.  I just don't have the speed or stamina anymore for sustained typing for hours like I used to do.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:15:48 AM EDT
[#44]
OP, looks like you have worked hard putting together some decent info.  Hope it goes to use for someone here.  In the mean time, work from home thread makes me remember this Simpsons episode...

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Tagging this shit.. Ive got a lot of down time at work, If I could make some extra money, Im down.. Wanted to look into stuff like this but always end up on a "pay 3 easy payments of 99.99 to get started" site..   Thx OP

I'll send you my Deluxe Ultra At-Home Job Opportunities List Extreme Makeover Edition 2013 2.0! for only 2 easy payments of 89.99. I'm just that generous, I guess

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I'd like to touch up on a little on how 1-800Flowers works, as, well it's kind of no secret around here they are my employer.

I was originally hired as a seasonal temp to work Valentine's Day.  The work was 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day doing customer service and sales calls.

However, probability is great, like in my case, that you'll be hired full time.  Then you work 5 days a week, with 2 off.  Pay starts at $9/hour, going up to $9.27/hour.  Other opportunities to advance are available(such as being a trainer to train new agents, which is what I want to do) and also to be a manager for the holiday agents.  

Some people get to work holidays and then get hired on, some eventually make "core" or full-time like I did.

Thanks, I updated the information for 1-800 Flowers.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

www.mtjobs.com

www.mtstars.com

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to add it when I get to transcription.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Interesting thread, OP.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

OP, looks like you have worked hard putting together some decent info.  Hope it goes to use for someone here.  In the mean time, work from home thread makes me remember this Simpsons episode...

"I don't want to look like a weirdo. I'll just go with the muumuu."

Thanks. I have a lot more to address, just that my personal work is keeping me too busy for any serious side-work atm.

Stuff like this has been really useful in my family. I have a sister who couldn't support herself, too many health problems that kept her from a traditional job, but she can support herself fully just by writing articles. At first most of her writing was for up-front pay, now about half her income is residual, and she only works around 3 hours a day. I helped pay for college with affiliate marketing, there were about 100 jobs in a town with 3,000 college students.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top