Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2020 5:22:57 PM EDT
We lost our lab several months ago and the kids are already asking about a puppy. Our blue heeler is lonely too. I like the size and overall temperament of the heeler but I think we are going to mix it up a little and get a slightly different flavor. Thus the shepherd.

Who has one, what do you like/hate. If anyone has a line on a good breeder within a few hundred miles of Atlanta please chime in.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Neighbors have had 3.

Two were fine, sweethearts really.

One stark raving lunatic.

Bit my wife and 3 other people.

Like people, every dog is different.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They can be a bit....

Protective....

Otherwise, you'd swear they are human.  We have two... love them!!!  

Also - give them a calculator and they can do your taxes... they are extremely intelligent.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My roommate has one and it’s an awesome dog. It’s trained well which is 90% of the battle with any dog but he is great for walks and in the park, doesn’t bark hardly ever, and is smart as any dog I’ve seen.

He also sheds more than my last 2 dogs combined and has lots of energy. They need lots of physical exercise. Frisbee and a park is great for this. If he doesn’t get walked he paces a lot
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one growing up. Great dog, super bright.

Prepare for hair. He could be brushed weekly and create a second dog every time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Between myself, my brother and extended family we have over a dozen spread across the country.

1) awesome dogs

2)smart dogs

3) energetic dogs

4) did i say energetic?

They are great with kids, they need someone to work and play with them a LOT or they can have issues. They are herding dogs so they will herd....and bark....and herd....and bark.

Did I say they bark?   The love to play. Get two and they will act like they are murdering each other but they will keep you entertained for as long as you have them.

They are awesome !

And no one...and I meanNO ONE will ever approach you or your house without you knowing it ever again...lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
They need exercise and lots of it. If you're the type of dog owner whose dog spends the majority of its time indoors/in a fenced yard, forget it. Not fair to the dog.

Going to take it on long hikes/runs? Throw frisbees for it in an open field? Take it everywhere with you and treat it as a companion? Awesome dogs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGreatCornholio:
They need exercise and lots of it. If you're the type of dog owner whose dog spends the majority of its time indoors/in a fenced yard, forget it. Not fair to the dog.

Going to take it on long hikes/runs? Throw frisbees for it in an open field? Take it everywhere with you and treat it as a companion? Awesome dogs.
View Quote

Op read that gain.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The most loyal dogs I've ever had.

I've heard minis can have aggression issues, but I don't have any experience with them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
you can use them to herd cats.. seriously.

growing up i knew this girl who had one that she did competitions with. sometimes she used geese to train her dogs. you can make the dog herd this way and that by whistling. when you whistled, the do would herd just about anything. girl had siamese cats. so we'd whistle and the dog would push the cat this way and that and the cant would complain. it was hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a guy in NC that breeds them. Good people.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one that’s about 6 months old. He playfully bites a lot. I’m hoping he outgrows that.
Very smart with lots of energy. He’s good with my kids. Can play all day long.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pesty:

Op read that gain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
They need exercise and lots of it. If you're the type of dog owner whose dog spends the majority of its time indoors/in a fenced yard, forget it. Not fair to the dog.

Going to take it on long hikes/runs? Throw frisbees for it in an open field? Take it everywhere with you and treat it as a companion? Awesome dogs.

Op read that gain.

We have a very happy and well exercised ACD. One of the reasons we're looking at the Australian shepherds is the similar exercise requirements/temperaments.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Full throttle. All of the time. I think ours got tired when she hit 10 years old. Then she went at 75%.

Loyal. Fiercely protective. Ours has been gone about 6.5 years now and I think we're down to only missing her once a week instead of every day.

I'd have another in a minute.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HKD126:
I know a guy in NC that breeds them. Good people.
View Quote

@HKD126

IM me his info?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:
Neighbors have had 3. 

Two were fine, sweethearts really.

[bOne stark raving lunatic.[/b]

Bit my wife and 3 other people.

Like people, every dog is different.  
View Quote

MrsFlyingGorilla's youngest brother just had to put theirs down.  He was one of the lunatic side of the Aussie Shepherd line.  Hyper dog who liked to bark all the time and prone to moments of aggressive behavior to try and get his way.  Sometimes scary aggressive towards non-family members.  I would not recommend getting an Aussie to anyone who would not be working it as a cattle/sheep dog because they are more farm dogs by nature than any others I've seen.

If I were OP I'd get a Black or Chocolate Lab.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#16]
My son has one. When he and daughter in law bring theirs down for the weekend, my Springer and I entertain him all weekend. We both sleep the next day after they’re gone. Lovable but active, to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FlyingGorilla:

MrsFlyingGorilla's youngest brother just had to put theirs down.  He was one of the lunatic side of the Aussie Shepherd line.  Hyper dog who liked to bark all the time and prone to moments of aggressive behavior to try and get his way.  Sometimes scary aggressive towards non-family members.  I would not recommend getting an Aussie to anyone who would not be working it as a cattle/sheep dog because they are more farm dogs by nature than any others I've seen.

If I were OP I'd get a Black or Chocolate Lab.
View Quote

I have a farm, and a cattle dog already. We put our Yellow lab down 3 months ago, two labs was enough labs for me. 35-40lbs is the right dog for us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My Aussie mix had a hell of a personality. Impossible to keep in the yard. Town folks all knew her and called her The Mayor. She knew and greeted everyone that took regular walks. She knew my habits and if I was gone too long she would head up town looking for me and visit all of the places I might be. Folks would tell me Kate was looking for me. She could also be a real bitch to my lab/healer mix. The lab loved tennis balls and would chase them for hours. The Aussie didn't give a shit about a ball unless the lab had one. The Aussie would steal the ball, jump the fence with it and the prance around teasing the lab. When she got bored she would drop the ball across the street in clear view so the lab could further stew about it. Once a week I would throw all the tennis balls back into the yard for the lab. Damn I miss that dog.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife’s friend breeds them, we owned 4 at one point. I think they are wonderful dogs, really playful. Pretty lazy, always up for excercise, but sleep and chill mostly. Not great watch dogs... and make sure they are socialized a lot as a pup.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's my crazy bastard.
He was a handful as a puppy until about 2-1/2 years old. Then he mellowed out a bit and started listening. Now he's the bestest boi in the whole world and is super friendly.
They do require a large yard or area to run in and daily walks.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#21]
We've had Australian Shepherds for 40 years. Great dogs.  I can open gate and feed cows and not shut it back, she guards it.   Worth it.   Have this pup in my lap right now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Op read that gain.
View All Quotes

Op read that gain.

This.

Also, if you have any doubt about getting a working dog or not, there is no doubt.  Do not do it whiteout total commitment and certainty.  

We have a working dog, and knew what we were getting into.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#23]
My aunt has one.  Fucker is insane.  Has bit people, can only be around two other dogs, and is generally an asshole.  She got him when he was a year or two old, the previous owners said they had problems with him so they gave him away. Nothing has worked trying to unfuck this dog.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Ours came from a breeder on an Oklahoma ranch with working dog parents.  He's 5 years old and around 65 pounds.  Since a puppy hes been good with kids, horses, ponys, and he loves other dogs, to a fault.  Obviously high energy, but we have the property for him to live.  He sleeps inside during the night and will spend days with us inside if we are home.  He's territorial of the property but will immediately cease his show of force and come to my side when called.  We've taken him on hikes without a leash and he walks past everyone like they arent there.  When people try to get his attention he just bypasses them and keeps rolling.

We trained him easily to take verbal commands and hes picked up non verbal gestures well.  Walking our property or riding horses he always takes lead, kept me from stepping on a bull snake a few days ago.  One day he'll save me from the rattlers that inhabit the area, I fear with fatal consequences.

Hes a total chick magnet that I needed in my life years ago.  Having him around would have been like fishing with dynamite.

My only complaint was his chewing habbits as a puppy.  Which he outgrew.  We got a bargain with this one.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a Aussie Shepherd/Husky Mix and he was an absolutely awesome dog.

Athletic, and smart as hell.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#26]
This list has several affiliated regional club contacts who should be able to refer you to a responsible, ethical preservation breeder near you. Just scroll down to Georgia
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My brother had one and I will say that dog was meant to be a working rather than companion animal. If you are able to give him a job and an extraordinary amount of time outdoors one could probably be great. The amount of energy he had and his general asshole behavior when bored: destroying things and nipping for attention made him a handful. My mastiffs would hide from him.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
you can use them to herd cats.. seriously.

growing up i knew this girl who had one that she did competitions with. sometimes she used geese to train her dogs. you can make the dog herd this way and that by whistling. when you whistled, the do would herd just about anything. girl had siamese cats. so we'd whistle and the dog would push the cat this way and that and the cant would complain. it was hilarious.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By st0newall:
you can use them to herd cats.. seriously.

growing up i knew this girl who had one that she did competitions with. sometimes she used geese to train her dogs. you can make the dog herd this way and that by whistling. when you whistled, the do would herd just about anything. girl had siamese cats. so we'd whistle and the dog would push the cat this way and that and the cant would complain. it was hilarious.

Ours tries to herd the cat if the cat does something the dog thinks is wrong.  The cat doesn't put up with that BS

Originally Posted By Sixpack595:
My aunt has one.  Fucker is insane.  Has bit people, can only be around two other dogs, and is generally an asshole.  She got him when he was a year or two old, the previous owners said they had problems with him so they gave him away. Nothing has worked trying to unfuck this dog.

Herding dogs tend to nip at people, for attention or to control the situation.  They can often nip hard enough that most people think they got bit.  It is a very hard instinct to stop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#29]
My dad has one.  It’s the best dog ever.

I can’t remember if it’s considered a miniature or a toy. . . It weighs in just slightly over 20 lbs.  It’s definitely smart that’s for sure. He had it potty trained in two weeks.  It has an awesome personality and I can’t say enough good things about the breed.  If I were to get another dog, an Australian Shepherd would definitely be on my short list.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#30]
They're a lot harder to come by, but a lot of people who think they want Border Collies or Australian Shepherds would be much better off with an English Shepherd.

All the smarts, agility, and athleticism with almost none of the psycho.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a 1.5 year old female, house and farm duty.

Good:
She alerts us when someone visits. She is so protective of the house, I don't worry about much when I am away.
She alerts us if cows are in the yard or elsewhere they shouldn't be. Natural herder. At 8 months old, I saw a calf in the wrong pasture. I looked at the calf and told the dog to go get it, and she brought it back to the herd like a pro. She doesn't yet move the herd, but she understands gathering the herd.
She stays with me outside. My fear is being caught out in the open between a bull and a cow in heat. The dog stays with me if I ask for, and bovines instinctively  pay more attention to a dog than a man.
She doesn't shed much at all compared to our white German Shepherd.
She gets along with our other dog. She is buddies with our neighbor's dogs, but still barks and growls when they are in our yard. She chases them away, then plays with them.
She doesn't roam outside off leash. We let her out, she doesn't leave the yard.

Bad:
She is a poop eater. Not her's, livestock. She always stinks.
She chases and barks at everything on the road. Cars, horse drawn buggies, pedestrians.
She herds everything. She tries to herd the buggy horses into our pasture.
She hates anyone wearing a hat or head covering. Basically every Amish person. She growls and barks, but does not get close. We don't think she will bite anyone, but who knows? We have had the neighbor kids feed her treats. She eats the treat, then goes right back to barking and growling.

This particular dog is more high strung than any of the few Australian Cattle dogs I have been around. She acts like most Border Collies or Shelties. My wife wanted to get rid of her a few times, I put my foot down. I am away too much to leave a wife and 5 kids alone without a protective dog. I also can't afford to miss work because I did something stupid with a bull or a protective new mother cow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

Herding dogs tend to nip at people, for attention or to control the situation.  They can often nip hard enough that most people think they got bit.  It is a very hard instinct to stop.
View Quote

Yeah, the only problem is that when they "nip" so hard that it draws blood through clothing it can result in medical and legal expenses.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Red Merle and it is the smartest dog that  I have ever owned.
They need to run.

One more thing, you will never have to worry about going to the bathroom alone. If you happen to get in the bathroom without the dog you will see hair sticking under the door while you're there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Apple123:
One more thing, you will never have to worry about going to the bathroom alone. If you happen to get in the bathroom without the dog you will see hair sticking under the door while you're there.
View Quote

my ACD is already like this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#35]
They are working dogs, they need to be kept busy. If not kept busy, they can become bored. Bored Aussie can lead to destruction on a big scale.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I love Aussies but they are herding dogs.  The better herding line the more likely they will nip and be ass holes.  The are smart and as loyal as they come.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]
We have an 8 yo mini aussie. She is nearly perfect and we enjoy her personality. Has had minimal training because she picked up things naturally. I can take her on hikes off lead and she stays right with us. She is great with kids and friendly to everyone. She will growl at people who refuse to rub her belly when she rolls over. She does want to herd but is pretty mild mannered and wont nip. She will untie your shoes if you refuse to throw the frisbee. When unattended, she guards the house and lets us know the moment anything enters the yard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Best and smartest dog I have ever had. The family and I will cry like babies when she goes. Ditto about the hair though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I guess I will be the outlier, sister in law has one and in its defense she is a fucking retard and it's a rescue.  I will not let it around my kid (2.5 hrs old).  She played the pitbull game with this thing, it is super reactive to sound and motion.  It came at my kid while on a leash last year at Thanksgiving and I can't believe it's alive after the fucking beating I put on it.  

ruined me on the breed for sure and I have a pit, GSD, Doberman, and a Great Dane.  It could be the particular dog, but remember they are working dogs, they need the work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Just get one!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Got this guy from a lady in Martin, near SC border. He’s been a great dog. Very hyper and full of energy but an excellent dog.

Pm me if you want the contact info for the breeder.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Fun to watch mine getting the chickens away from the road.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#44]
My Aussie was by far the best dog I ever had. Too smart for his own good. Lost him to cancer 3-1/2 years ago and it still gets to me when I think about it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By igo4gatech:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347122/Charlie-1335889.jpg

Got this guy from a lady in Martin, near SC border. He’s been a great dog. Very hyper and full of energy but an excellent dog. 

Pm me if you want the contact info for the breeder. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347122/IMG_E2317_JPG-1335882.jpg
View Quote

I may already be talking to just that one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:
My roommate has one and it’s an awesome dog. It’s trained well which is 90% of the battle with any dog but he is great for walks and in the park, doesn’t bark hardly ever, and is smart as any dog I’ve seen.

He also sheds more than my last 2 dogs combined and has lots of energy. They need lots of physical exercise. Frisbee and a park is great for this. If he doesn’t get walked he paces a lot
View Quote

I have an Australian mix, and I agree 100% with this post.  

.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd recommend avoiding pups with the pink noses. Collie nose can be a real PITA.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

That’s impressive! Wow!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
I'd recommend avoiding pups with the pink noses. Collie nose can be a real PITA.
View Quote

doggie sunblock required
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#50]
They shed constantly and are very, very high energy. But they are also one of the smartest breeds out there, typically with great personalities, incredibly loyal, and protective. I lost my Aussie 5 years ago and I still miss him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top