Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the legal speed limit for passing?  Is it 5 over? 10 over?  Are we advocating breaking the law on this site now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So does the left lane have a higher speed limit than the right lane?
Nope, but if you're not actively passing someone you stay the fuck out of it.  It should be common sense

What is the legal speed limit for passing?  Is it 5 over? 10 over?  Are we advocating breaking the law on this site now?

There should be studies done to find out just what the fuck is wrong with the brains of left lane campers.

Say it with me: the speed limit has nothing to do with it. One more time: the speed limit has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Alright, who else sent the video from the OP to their wife?

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn’t read the entire thread.

Nobody going to comment on Lambs douchebag question about weapons in the vehicle?

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Bullshit clickbait title
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You sound like a po-po. He's doing the speed limit, and people are going over the speed limit to pass him, yet he gets pulled over. Find someone else to fucking harass. "Going with the flow of traffic" gets thrown out the window when they want to write speeding tickets.
View Quote
You're probably "that guy" who clogs up the left lane all the time, aren't you?

Slower traffic should always keep right.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

Left lane is for passing
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]
That cop is an American hero.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
There was a video a few years back of some activists who decided to take up every lane on the interstate (it was at least 6 lanes one direction) and simply  drive the speed limit.  Traffic backed up for many miles behind them causing all sorts of havoc. They broke no laws but managed to fuck up the natural flow of traffic and caused a major jam.

You are not the police, it is not your job to determine or regulate the driving speed of others, if anyone comes up behind you gtfo of the left lane and let them pass.  Stop trying to control others or feeling insecure because others aren't little bitches and are capable of safely driving faster than the speed limit.  Unless the specifically want you, it's unusual to be pulled over for less than 10mph over the limit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nobody going to comment on Lambs douchebag question about weapons in the vehicle?

View Quote

The one that he uses as an opener to tell the driver that he should be armed when traveling?

Mark Lamb is the Sheriff of a large county, he doesn’t really do traffic stops. The whole stop was made for the purpose of making the video. The fact that he was traveling with a video crew kind of proves that fact.

The purpose of the video was probably two fold: to make a video PSA about left lane camping and to get personal exposure for Lamb who is a Senate  candidate. The question about weapons was made so he could throw out the surprise twist and tell the driver that he should be armed.

Lamb is absolutely pro gun and pro 2A.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Why the fuck would you want to drive with a line of cars up your ass anyhow.  Who gives a fuck if someone wants to go faster then you, it's not your job to regulate the speed on the road.  Get out of the way
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What if there are too many cars for just the right lane to accommodate? Obviously, the extra cars have to go in the left lane.

Plus, since the left lane gets used less frequently, it has fewer bumps and ruts in it, and is a smoother ride.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You realize he stopped the white vehicle in the #1 lane right??

Or you didn't realize that. Please watch it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The video was showing him in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway, not the left lane.

According to the video, the cop was wrong.

You realize he stopped the white vehicle in the #1 lane right??

Or you didn't realize that. Please watch it again.

No don't,,,, Too late.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh shit, we found the Trooper and wrong in normal Trooper fashion.

ARS 28-721: . On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Mark Lamb. However the was he describes the statute is incorrect. Actually there are 2 title 28 statutes at play: driving in right side of roadway and impeding traffic.

The first statute only means that you can’t drive left of the centerline of the roadway except to pass. It does not mean you can’t drive in the left lane that is already on the right side of the centerline.

Impeding traffic means that if you have 5 or more vehicles behind you you need to pull over to let them pass.

AZ does not have a law that prohibits left lane camping. However there are often posted signs on roadways that say “keep right, except to pass”. As long as no sign is present you can legally camp in the left lane. The stretch of roadway this video was filmed on does have these signs. Violation of these sign is a separate statute under failing to obey a traffic control device.

Oh shit, we found the Trooper and wrong in normal Trooper fashion.

ARS 28-721: . On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

How could you possibly know that statute existed, but the other guy did not.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We need that in TN. No one is in a fuckin hurry here.
View Quote

Where you are now,  no one  gets in a hurry.  Those rural TN counties are pretty laid back. I grew up in Clay Co. Not a lot to do but watch cattle graze, grass grow and listen to the sounds of chain saws as guys work logging crews for the local saw mills.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go the fucking speed limit.

Those 3 minutes you save are meaningless.
View Quote

Troll much?

I like the 8-9 over range on the highway. 4 hour drive saves me a lot more than 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You sound like a po-po. He's doing the speed limit, and people are going over the speed limit to pass him, yet he gets pulled over. Find someone else to fucking harass. "Going with the flow of traffic" gets thrown out the window when they want to write speeding tickets.
View Quote

I would have been fine with the cop doing a pit maneuver on that douche camper and keep going.  Left lane = Mad Max for me.  ????
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And common courtesy - both of which are sorely lacking everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, but if you're not actively passing someone you stay the fuck out of it.  It should be common sense
And common courtesy - both of which are sorely lacking everywhere.

Correct, both of which are sorely missing and that is exactly why I do what this guy does, fuck the other guy - probably a raging leftist POS from NY or Illinois in my area so the hell with em.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe you should have read the thread.....

Oh, pro-gun sheriff dropping a pro-gun comment. You may have concentrated on his question but his ignored his next line. If you are curious, please re-read my first line.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I suspect he didn't write a ticket and doubt you can be written a ticket for failing to speed.
View Quote

I would bet that Sheriff Lamb didn't give this guy a ticket.. but, depending on the state, they absolutely can write a ticket for driving in the passing lane impeding traffic flow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I found a nifty tip for you guys driving the highway and the left lane campers driving modern vehicles.

Did you know that adaptive cruise control is awesome? It allows your vehicle to pace what is around you so you stay all in a nice group at the same speed of the Kali family in the soccer van.

But I am sinister in that respect and despise left lane campers. You will see the left lane camper using their cruise control. If you pull in front of them when their adaptive cruise control is on, it will make their vehicle brake automatically They still won't get the hint as they have a mental issue with understanding how the roads are supposed to work.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Same thing would happen to him in TX ,well he would have gotten a ticket for staying in the left lane not just a warning

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's also illegal to exceed the posted speed limit. How does one legally pass someone doing the speed limit no matter what lane they are in?
View Quote

Think it through carefully. The cop observes two vehicles whose drivers simultaneously commit infractions. He can only stop one car. He has to exercise discretion.

What are you complaining about?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Middle lane campers are nearly as bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And before anyone accused me of being a left lane camper, you're wrong, I stick mainly to the far right or middle lane and only use the left lane to pass.

Middle lane campers are nearly as bad.

It's really interesting because there definitely a few different flavors of those too, only becoming obvious when lane count increase beyond 3:

"The only left lane is the far left lane (#1)"... and they travel in the #2 lane. They're almost like the 'I just move to the left until I run out of lanes, and then stay there no matter what speed I'm going and what other freeway traffic is doing. These are also the people who see their exit and wait to move over until they absolutely have to, following the reverse procedure to exit the freeway with the added bonus of starting to slow down while changing lanes to the right.

"The lane next to the right lane is where I stay." Way more correct, but teaches mergers that people will accommodate their shitty merging habits.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Texan road hog .
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is a conflict. No one has any incentive to make it easier for someone else to commit a crime. Are you a criminal? Should someone be forced to get out of your way when you're committing a crime by penalty of law? Do you not see how slippery of a slope that is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This means that the speed limit law is the issue here that should be revised and not necessarily the left lane / impeding traffic law.

The core of my argument is that the laws conflict and the laws should be looked at being changed.

There's no conflict. Regardless of speed limits and speed, you move to the right whenever you aren't passing.

There is a conflict. No one has any incentive to make it easier for someone else to commit a crime. Are you a criminal? Should someone be forced to get out of your way when you're committing a crime by penalty of law? Do you not see how slippery of a slope that is?

The keep right traffic rules are independent of other vehicles in the vicinity, i.e. even with ZERO other vehicles, keep right unless passing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#28]
You have to admit that anyone going the speed limit is likely doing it to avoid police interest...

Good interception...
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

People screech about self-driving cars but I'm mostly convinced that widespread self-driving cars would mean about a 50% increase in cars that are actually being driven by anyone.
View Quote

Good way for smugglers and distributors to move people and product...
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Left lane camper threads never fail to entertain.

It is an interesting phenomena to see how campers justify their behavior.  It typically boils down to:

1. I'm going the speed limit -- screw you
2. You shouldn't be speeding
3. You should have left earlier.

The common denominator is that it is about them -- the camper.  

Damn.  Just yield to faster traffic.  It is better and safer for everyone.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People screech about self-driving cars but I'm mostly convinced that widespread self-driving cars would mean about a 50% increase in cars that are actually being driven by anyone.

Which raises the question "If my self-driving Tesla is clocked at 80 in a 55, who gets the ticket, me or Elon?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There was a video a few years back of some activists who decided to take up every lane on the interstate (it was at least 6 lanes one direction) and simply  drive the speed limit.  Traffic backed up for many miles behind them causing all sorts of havoc. They broke no laws but managed to fuck up the natural flow of traffic and caused a major jam.

You are not the police, it is not your job to determine or regulate the driving speed of others, if anyone comes up behind you gtfo of the left lane and let them pass.  Stop trying to control others or feeling insecure because others aren't little bitches and are capable of safely driving faster than the speed limit.  Unless the specifically want you, it's unusual to be pulled over for less than 10mph over the limit.
View Quote

I was on a freeway awhile back about 4-5 cars back from a tow truck driver in the left lane when he decided to pace the car in the #2 lane, and the car in the #2 lane and truck in the #3 lane starting pacing each other too. This was on a 3 lane freeway, with on/off ramps causing a short #4 lane to show up occasionally. Every exit, 0-2 vehicles would be able to get around. All three vehicles were actively pacing each other, to the point where there was a GIANT swath of unoccupied freeway ahead of them in EVERY lane. We were all doing about 10mph under for no reason at all other than those three assholes.

Eventually, one of the #4 lane passers spent some time to slow down in the #2 lane after he went by, just to break up the asshole cluster.

Left lane assholes seem to have a large overlap with pacing traffic types.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Good. Fuck left lane campers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's also illegal to exceed the posted speed limit. How does one legally pass someone doing the speed limit no matter what lane they are in?
View Quote

That doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Left lane camper threads never fail to entertain.

It is an interesting phenomena to see how campers justify their behavior.  It typically boils down to:

1. I'm going the speed limit -- screw you
2. You shouldn't be speeding
3. You should have left earlier.

The common denominator is that it is about them -- the camper.  

Damn.  Just yield to faster traffic.  It is better and safer for everyone.  
View Quote

In the self-esteem era there's been a huge jump in narcissism. Lots of blow hard narcissists here incapable of a little introspection, that or sociopaths.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That doesn’t matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn’t matter.

Here in GA it won't even be enforced outside of school zones or really bored troopers till you're going +10 usually +15 where real tickets start. Locals can't pull you over till you're going 10 over, I've also never seen them enforce LL camper laws.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which raises the question "If my self-driving Tesla is clocked at 80 in a 55, who gets the ticket, me or Elon?
View Quote

Any time the car exceeds the speed limit, the speed sensor will alert the car’s AI, which will alert the Highway Patrol AI, and it will ticket you automatically and electronically deduct the fine from your account. The Highway Patrol AI will send you a text message asking “where you coming from” and “do you know why I virtual stopped you?”, just to keep the tradition alive.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The one that he uses as an opener to tell the driver that he should be armed when traveling?

Mark Lamb is the Sheriff of a large county, he doesn’t really do traffic stops. The whole stop was made for the purpose of making the video. The fact that he was traveling with a video crew kind of proves that fact.

The purpose of the video was probably two fold: to make a video PSA about left lane camping and to get personal exposure for Lamb who is a Senate  candidate. The question about weapons was made so he could throw out the surprise twist and tell the driver that he should be armed.

Lamb is absolutely pro gun and pro 2A.
View Quote

He basically said hey douche bag, this is Arizona where is your gun?  Here take mine.  The driver is damn lucky he didn’t get cited for operating a motor vehicle without a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#39]
………
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I predict boomer hate will escalate.

And lower snow totals than last year by a lot,
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Oh, pro-gun sheriff dropping a pro-gun comment. You may have concentrated on his question but his ignored his next line. If you are curious, please re-read my first line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard his second comment. Cuteness done to justify the douchebag cop check for weapons.

And a neat little sound bite for the camera.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Enforcing laws against left lane camping promotes safety more than anything else other than pulling over people who are driving recklessly (e.g. obviously impaired people). Left lane campers are likely impaired anyway, cognitively if not chemically.

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I heard his second comment. Cuteness done to justify the douchebag cop check for weapons.

And a neat little sound bite for the camera.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep. Enforcing laws against left lane camping promotes safety more than anything else other than pulling over people who are driving recklessly (e.g. obviously impaired people). Left lane campers are likely impaired anyway, cognitively if not chemically.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half the country is cognitively impaired, along with about 1/4 of the members here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Troll much?

I like the 8-9 over range on the highway. 4 hour drive saves me a lot more than 3 minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go the fucking speed limit.

Those 3 minutes you save are meaningless.

Troll much?

I set my cruise at 79 and pass MSP running radar nearly every day. They don't care about 9 over.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I drive 35 miles (state route) daily to and from work.
The biggest douch bags on the road are typically Subaru, Prius and Volvo drivers and 99% of minorities.

The one group feels they are the safest drivers and enjoy slowing everyone down while minorities have an attitude that no one is going to pass them.

I was at a get together and a guy was complaining about getting a ticket on I480 that has a posted minimum speed limit. Cop cited him for going 10mph under the posted minimum. He said he had a new car and wanted to break it in. Everyone (not kidding) told him he was a dick head.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a frequent cop basher, when I believe they deserve it, the instinctive cop bashing here is tiresome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or, you know, get the fuck out of the left lane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you know, get the fuck out of the left lane.

If only We have signs up all over the state along the highways that say "Left Lane for Passing Only - Slower Traffic Stay Right"...

Oh Wait - We have LOTS of those Signs up along the highways in Texas.

Anyone who only drives the speed limit might well have been some sort of Narco Mule.

AND that guy doesn't sound at ALL like he's from Texas.   Absolutely sounded like a Cali Transplant (thus "Not a Texan")

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Business would be booming for him in Washington state
View Quote

LOL no shit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And he's running for Senate
View Quote

all he'd have to do is run that as an ad & i'd probably vote for him
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top