Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No aircraft is putting warheads on foreheads…none.  It doesn’t matter how much you spend on it.  

You aren’t defeating China with a manned aircraft as you can’t keep an airbase close enough to make it work and refueling in the air is visible IE killable.  

The Pacific is a Navy fight where submarine launched weapons are the most viable delivery systems.  

A hypersonic missile from a submarine is likely the only viable strike option.
View Quote

Per wiki the B-2 has a range of about 6,900 miles.  That would put it needing to be gassed about at the Aleutians in order to reach Beijing.  It seems like we could get tankers as far forward as Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm surprised they did it during daylight hours.
View Quote

It's the first publicized flight, and I bet they did it in daylight as a statement.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Im before the air force buys 5 , extends the life of the B-52 until 2112 and buys the new F-42 fighter jets
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damn that is beautiful. I hope they buy 200 of them.
View Quote
300+.  I need to find the article about the needs analysis that was done in the past few years and it was massive.  Good read.   We have to be able to hold at risk China, Russia, Iran, NK and others.  Its a big problem.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
More multi billion dollar hardware for the MIC to justify their need for yet more money to defend every other country but ours.
View Quote

Commie tears make my dick hard. It's like ambrosia.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've read 300 ordered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
LordEC911

Quoted:
When are they expected in service and how many

~100. Sources vary between 80-120. Only ~$600m each.
2027 is current projection.

I've read 300 ordered.

And once we're in NATO, the US will graciously donate a few to us.

We'll have them flying lazy eights over the Baltic.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More multi billion dollar hardware for the MIC to justify their need for yet more money to defend every other country but ours.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Launch missiles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is awesome, but what does it do that missiles don't do?

Launch missiles?
Why do you need it then. Take the money and buy missiles.  No wonder why we are bankrupt.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That mother fucker right there....is not real!
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why do you need it then. Take the money and buy missiles.  No wonder why we are bankrupt.
View Quote

to extend the range and locations we can launch missiles from
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First *public* flight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
B-2?
View Quote
Baby B-2
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The nuclear mission defends us every day.  But we would be better off maintaining two old airframes that cost about $60k per hour to fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The nuclear mission defends us every day.  But we would be better off maintaining two old airframes that cost about $60k per hour to fly.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

People would rather tax payers spend $70,000-$130,000 per hour of flight for a less capable system, just due to nostalgia, versus lack of nostalgia at $10k/hr to operate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People would rather tax payers spend $70,000-$130,000 per hour of flight for a less capable system, just due to nostalgia, versus lack of nostalgia at $10k/hr to operate.

It's not nostalgia. It's because they're ignorant fools.

Just like the A-10... Keep it flying! Why? Because reasons! Brrrrrrt.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First *public* flight.
View Quote

Been a few moons ago, but we discussed the introduction of the B-2 in science class, shortly after the public flight.

The teacher was adamant that it had been in development and testing, including flying, for a long time.  Her grandfather had worked on the program and flying the plane from an island in the Pacific.  Seemed a little outlandish,  except when concerns about the YB-49 program are taken into account.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
What we really need is the R model of the B-1.  This country needs the B-1R.
We need the BONER.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No aircraft is putting warheads on foreheads…none.  It doesn’t matter how much you spend on it.  

You aren’t defeating China with a manned aircraft as you can’t keep an airbase close enough to make it work and refueling in the air is visible IE killable.  

The Pacific is a Navy fight where submarine launched weapons are the most viable delivery systems.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope this thing will probably do more work than F35 vs China.

We are going to be really tight on keeping air bases inside missile range of China operational.  Surface ships aren’t going to be in range to be launch platforms for cruise missiles until we can break the Chinese kill chains for their anti ship missiles.

So our strike potential is limited to. The sub fleet and whatever our aircraft can launch.  This will be a nice missile truck that even a single one likely will put more warheads on foreheads in a month than even a SSGN could.

I’d be very interested in seeing if they could fill the weapons bay with a long range air to air missile that could be guided by F35, drive or AEGIS to help clear swarms of Chinese fighters.

JASSM-ER doesn't exist anymore? Damn.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What we really need is the R model of the B-1.  This country needs the B-1R.
We need the BONER.
View Quote
Check page 2.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is a video lol

View Quote
Clicking the link asks for sign in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

JASSM-ER doesn't exist anymore? Damn.
View Quote

Nope, they were all teleported away by the Asgard to be used to fight Replicators. We certainly can’t attach them to fighters, attack aircraft. Or hell even chuck them out the back of a C-130.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve never met in person anyone who has a vested interest in any airframe the military deploys other than being tax payers. Outside of paying deeply out of my ass for taxes I don’t really care much if the AF keeps 10s and 52s until they run out of spare parts. Your taxes will never decrease. Why do you care what jet they fly on your dime? I’d rather fly antique jets than pay for any social programs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do understand there are different types of missiles with different ranges. Its cheaper to build smaller cruise missiles than large ones that fire from long distances which can be mistaken for nuclear delivery platforms.

It does make sense to put more money into ssgn's. But having other diverse options to deliver missiles is ok too. I was surprised that we only have 4 SSGNs. It seems like that would be a really handy tool. I guess surface ships take up the slack though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They were sending a message to someone....
View Quote

Or we are sending a message to "them".
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’ve never met in person anyone who has a vested interest in any airframe the military deploys other than being tax payers. Outside of paying deeply out of my ass for taxes I don’t really care much if the AF keeps 10s and 52s until they run out of spare parts. Your taxes will never decrease. Why do you care what jet they fly on your dime? I’d rather fly antique jets than pay for any social programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem being we've royally pissed off Russia and Iran now, and any potential conflict where the A-10's utility might be attractive would almost certainly be spiced up by the proliferation of MANPADS.

The money that keeps those things flying could be better used in about a million ways.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Problem being we've royally pissed off Russia and Iran now, and any potential conflict where the A-10's utility might be attractive would almost certainly be spiced up by the proliferation of MANPADS.

The money that keeps those things flying could be better used in about a million ways.
View Quote

True, but UAS-A-10 would create a hell of a headache at low cost.

Remove cockpit and add a second GAU-8.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
BREAKING: The B-21 RAIDER just made its FIRST FLIGHT
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope this thing will probably do more work than F35 vs China.

We are going to be really tight on keeping air bases inside missile range of China operational.  Surface ships aren’t going to be in range to be launch platforms for cruise missiles until we can break the Chinese kill chains for their anti ship missiles.

So our strike potential is limited to. The sub fleet and whatever our aircraft can launch.  This will be a nice missile truck that even a single one likely will put more warheads on foreheads in a month than even a SSGN could.

I’d be very interested in seeing if they could fill the weapons bay with a long range air to air missile that could be guided by F35, drive or AEGIS to help clear swarms of Chinese fighters.

When you have long range ALCM, you don’t need to get close, you don’t even need to go very far.

And those ALCMs are very survivable.

That is why I think they are keeping the B-52, it Carrie’s a massive amount of ALCMs and at the range off the coast they would be launched nobody cares about the B-52 not being stealthy, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Per wiki the B-2 has a range of about 6,900 miles.  That would put it needing to be gassed about at the Aleutians in order to reach Beijing.  It seems like we could get tankers as far forward as Alaska.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now add the range of the ALCM, they could probable get topped off before leaving the west coast.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO any environment where there are "modern air defenses" rule out any non-stealth aircraft flying over it.

Helicopters, F-15s, F-16s, tankers, C-130s, all of the non-stealthy boys.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You do understand there are different types of missiles with different ranges. Its cheaper to build smaller cruise missiles than large ones that fire from long distances which can be mistaken for nuclear delivery platforms.

It does make sense to put more money into ssgn's. But having other diverse options to deliver missiles is ok too. I was surprised that we only have 4 SSGNs. It seems like that would be a really handy tool. I guess surface ships take up the slack though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and I understand we can buy a shit ton of drones and missiles for 600 million a pop, which is 100% borrowed at 5% interest and going higher.  I also worry with the lack of recruiting how hard will it be to maintain these planes out of the factory.  The same issues with the F35.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, and I understand we can buy a shit ton of drones and missiles for 600 million a pop, which is 100% borrowed at 5% interest and going higher.  I also worry with the lack of recruiting how hard will it be to maintain these planes out of the factory.  The same issues with the F35.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you worried about in terms of maintainability on the F-35? Im curious.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.  
https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-23-105341

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What was flying next to it?
View Quote

F-16
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#39]
We likely probably already have at least 10 of them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What's the thing sticking out of the back for?
View Quote

Part of the test equipment. Something to do with the pitot system. It has a long probe in front, and this trailing cone that needs undisturbed air, not buffeting air from around the fuselage.

wiki
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#42]
another video

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its a nuclear stealth bomber, dude.   What exactly do you think the primary purpose of designing and building such machines is?

Think about it for a minute.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Under budget and ahead of schedule.

NG should get more business, but they aren't dirty enough in DC.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Wait till they activate the Romulan cloaking device
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LordEC911

Quoted:
When are they expected in service and how many

~100. Sources vary between 80-120. Only ~$600m each.
2027 is current projection.

I've read 300 ordered.

No you can build a Gripenbom?ömben or whatever
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

A modern bomber fleet is a much better use of military resources than pretty much anything else.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Under budget and ahead of schedule.

NG should get more business, but they aren't dirty enough in DC.
View Quote
They won GBSD lol. That's a huge program. IBCS and it's FMS has slowly been ramping up too. They're not hurting by any means. They did get fucked on the initial AIR6500 program which Lockheed won but that was due to Northrops australian subsidiary snatching defeat from the hands of victory.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top