Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]

https://theaviationist.com/2023/11/11/the-first-flight-of-the-b-21-revealed-some-interesting-details-of-the-new-bomber/

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That thing is so awesome
View Quote

“Gonna kill so many Chinese”
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

it has worms

it's a wire and air data drogue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the thing sticking out of the back for?

it has worms

it's a wire and air data drogue
It's the umbilical cord, the doctor forgot to cut it close. Trust me I'm an arowinginair.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thing is so awesome

I am a complete and total hypocrite about the way I normally view government, when it comes to us pumping billions into the war machine and get crazy ridiculous shit no one else but us has.

It is a chink in my armor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Me normally:  RETURN TO ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION NOW, THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE 100 PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN POVERTY WHO CAN BE NULLIFIED BY ANY STATE AT ANY TIME

Also me:  oh fuck check out this fucking new plane/ship/sub this thing kicks fucking ass
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Guessing, and that's unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That looks like it's where they keep the miniature B-21.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah.  I mean maybe it was just a joke.  The panel does look like that
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's where the Ex-wives go

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone remember just after the B-2 rolled out and first flew, they discovered the baseball or softball fields at Edwards had pretty much the exact same outline as the B-2?  I think AvWeek had an article on it at the time.

Looking on GE, I see the baseball fields but they don't look anything like a B-2 (or B-21).
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maintenance will kill the program.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2023/09/22/gao-blasts-contractor-led-f-35-maintenance-as-costly-slow/

First thing is to institute accountability for spares and stop the leakage.

As the airplane ages, the readiness rate will decrease.  After a fix requires a couple of invasive penetrations through the outer moldline the next critical problem won't be repairable.

View Quote

Are all the export models experiencing the same issues ?

What about the Israeli F-35I ? Don’t they do their own mods to them ?

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/b-21-raiders-first-flight-what-we-learned
some interesting speculation and info and pics here
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This may be too D&D dorky, but the silhouette looked more like a Displacer Beast than Cerberus.  Predator that uses illusion to make the prey think it's somewhere else versus Guardian to the Underworld seems more thematically appropriate anyway.

(Plus, I hear "Cerberus", and think of this sort of  logo instead...)  

Anyway, all dorkery aside, a per unit cost of >$600 million is a lot of scratch.  Especially now.  I take it though, that it's essential for the USAF to continue to do what it needs to do, and isn't a capability that can be replicated for less money via more F-35s or an orbital strike platform?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This may be too D&D dorky, but the silhouette looked more like a Displacer Beast Https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/d/df/Displacer_Beast_MM_4e.jpgthan Cerberus.  Predator that uses illusion to make the prey think it's somewhere else versus Guardian to the Underworld seems more thematically appropriate anyway.

(Plus, I hear "Cerberus", and think of this sort of  logo instead...) https://metalweavegames.com/cdn/shop/products/Mcerebus_600x.jpg  

Anyway, all dorkery aside, a per unit cost of >$600 million is a lot of scratch.  Especially now.  I take it though, that it's essential for the USAF to continue to do what it needs to do, and isn't a capability that can be replicated for less money via more F-35s or an orbital strike platform?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be too D&D dorky, but the silhouette looked more like a Displacer Beast Https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/d/df/Displacer_Beast_MM_4e.jpgthan Cerberus.  Predator that uses illusion to make the prey think it's somewhere else versus Guardian to the Underworld seems more thematically appropriate anyway.

(Plus, I hear "Cerberus", and think of this sort of  logo instead...) https://metalweavegames.com/cdn/shop/products/Mcerebus_600x.jpg  

Long range bombers can't be replaced by short range fighters for rather obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Long range bombers can't be replaced by short range fighters for rather obvious reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I put in the orbital strike part.  Which needs an accelerated launch cadence to be possible, but at least isn't the complete pipe dream it was 20 years ago.

We're really going to be doing long-range stealthy bomber missions from CONUS/Hawaii vs Chinese 1st island chain targets?  And doing so by relying on weapons that require LOS to the target vs stealthy standoff weapons from B52/B1?  If so, sure. There aren't enough B-2s to go around and, as you note, F-35 can't get there from here.

It's just a lot of money.  At a time when we don't have a lot of it to spend.  At least it sounds more feasible, and likely to play out that way, a use case on its face than the B-2, "Cruise around the Apocalypse and look for mobile ICBMs," case mentioned upthread.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is it just me or does that thing not look real?  Unless its shimmering from some kind of undisclosed, predator-esque cloaking device that is malfunctioning a bit.
View Quote
My brother is a mechanical engineer on this project. It's very real.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It will be interesting to see how many we get considering the debt.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which is why I put in the orbital strike part.  Which needs an accelerated launch cadence to be possible, but at least isn't the complete pipe dream it was 20 years ago.

We're really going to be doing long-range stealthy bomber missions from CONUS/Hawaii vs Chinese 1st island chain targets?  And doing so by relying on weapons that require LOS to the target vs stealthy standoff weapons from B52/B1?  If so, sure. There aren't enough B-2s to go around and, as you note, F-35 can't get there from here.

It's just a lot of money.  At a time when we don't have a lot of it to spend.  At least it sounds more feasible, and likely to play out that way, a use case on its face than the B-2, "Cruise around the Apocalypse and look for mobile ICBMs," case mentioned upthread.
View Quote

B-21 will also use stand-off munitions. Not exclusively of course.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#21]
A little bit of trivia I found amusing.

As part of It's development the B-21 will be flown by the 420 Test Flight Squadron.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top