Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2022 11:40:47 AM EDT
Only 2 criteria

needs to be able to fit two kids in the rear seat in boosters and still have plenty leg room for front seat driver and PX.

easy to get into and out of.

I am thinking X5 would fit the bill...but my mind is open
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Who needs legroom when you can do bolt ons and tune to 700awhp?

X3 M Comp. Rides like crap but will keep up with supercars with light mods.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend bought his wife an X7 M50i. It's a lot of fun to drive.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fnetcarflix.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com%2F2019%2F08%2F2020-BMW-X3-M-Competition-205.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

View Quote

this is for my mother...she has bad knees and back, needs to be a soft ride
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fnetcarflix.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com%2F2019%2F08%2F2020-BMW-X3-M-Competition-205.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

All those years truckin?

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]

I looked at Both, and I think they are too small on the inside for the booster seats. She has a Jeep JKU right now and it's too small on the inside.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All those years truckin?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All those years truckin?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get the X5.  The X3 is too small if you have rear facing boosters and need lots of front leg room.  

They no longer make the ultimate kid hauler which was the 640i GT.  Huge amounts of legroom and storage.  They also depreciated like mad so I got my wife a lightly used one for a massive amount off of MSRP (before the used car nuttiness started).
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in a similar position. Have two kids in car seats albeit a little younger.

I'm probably going to settle on an x5 or x7.

MIL and SIL both have new x5s and really like them. My only issue is that once you get two kids and all their crap in a midsized suv, it starts to get crowded.

If you plan on doing road trips, etc you may like the extra room of the x7. It will cost you an extra 20k or so though.

Id go test drove them both and see what you think.

I'm really tempted live with the smaller x5 but get the m50 package. Twin turbo v8 in a midsized kid hauler would be tons of fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]
thiis will be an unpopular opinion: I'm a bit of a beemer fanboy, but suv's aren't really what they do best.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would get the X5.  The X3 is too small if you have rear facing boosters and need lots of front leg room.  

They no longer make the ultimate kid hauler which was the 640i GT.  Huge amounts of legroom and storage.  They also depreciated like mad so I got my wife a lightly used one for a massive amount off of MSRP (before the used car nuttiness started).
View Quote

yeah that makes sense
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]

The Macan S is a hell of a lot of car.  I enjoyed test driving them, and the Turbo model, too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in a similar position. Have two kids in car seats albeit a little younger.

I'm probably going to settle on an x5 or x7.

MIL and SIL both have new x5s and really like them. My only issue is that once you get two kids and all their crap in a midsized suv, it starts to get crowded.

If you plan on doing road trips, etc you may like the extra room of the x7. It will cost you an extra 20k or so though.

Id go test drove them both and see what you think.
View Quote

they have the F250 for road trips this would just be for my mom to bring my niece and nephew to school in
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Find and buy her a used Scion XB. They are everything you want. I'm a pretty large guy and have trouble getting into and out of basically any sedan and most vehicles. The scion is perfect.

When mine got smashed (you saw that btw) the guy that picked it up started it and drove it up to his flatbed. They do very good in collisions.

If you don't care about status, get a XB. When mine got smashed, I bought another one exactly like it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thiis will be an unpopular opinion: I'm a bit of a beemer fanboy, but suv's aren't really what they do best.
View Quote

If it were me, I'd just get a Cayenne, but my mom is a huge BMW fan
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Coming this fall, this M5 or some similar will be mine

this is my current company car 3 series

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Find and buy her a used Scion XB. They are everything you want. I'm a pretty large guy and have trouble getting into and out of basically any sedan and most vehicles. The scion is perfect.

When mine got smashed (you saw that btw) the guy that picked it up started it and drove it up to his flatbed. They do very good in collisions.

If you don't care about status, get a XB. When mine got smashed, I bought another one exactly like it.
View Quote

.that car is kinda low to the ground.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rear seat boosters didn't elicit that idea was picturing a fun dad wagon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#19]
New BMWs are fat and soft and while I still like them, they aren’t worth the price. The five year cost of ownership of an X5 exceeds that of a Cayenne that is 40% more MSRP. I love the Cayenne and love the Macan even more.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#20]
my current poverty beemer (american made hatchback):

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
my current poverty beemer (american made hatchback):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51848656300_dab52b593a_o.jpg
View Quote

lol nice
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All those years truckin?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/trucker_PNG-2257469.JPG

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#23]

I got me a Cayenne S. Love it. Kids love it. Even the wife likes it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the X7 and some versions of the X5 have air suspension? I would look towards those, otherwise people often aren't happy with the rougher ride of BMW versus competitors. I would also look at Audi Q7 or Q8, with optional air suspension. Audi is very function and practicality focused which you might appreciate. I test drove the new Genesis GV80 and that was damn nice looking vehicle too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

With the competition package that vehicle turns 503 horse and 3.7 seconds zero to sixty...but you're going to do a tune that delivers almost 200 additional horsepower the rest of the drive train and suspension was not engineered to withstand. For what, exactly?

By the way, those claims by the manufacturers that their tunes are "invisible" are bullshit. It leaves a big blank in the telemetry that's obvious to BMW, and when the tale end of that blank just happens to coincide with the damage the stock vehicle was incapable of inflicting, they're going to laugh at your warranty after you've reinstalled the stock tune. But...I guess then you can go on social media and whine incessantly about how "BMWs are a piece of shit", and they "refused to honor my warranty on a stock vehicle."

This played out over and over with the second and third owners of 335i's. Learning has yet to occur, with the exception of buyers with half a brain who steer well clear of those vehicles when the dealership PPI comes back. Good luck with your resale.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Rear facing boosters are a bane.  I am not sure the distance between booster and front seats will be enough in the X5, if your driver or passenger is over 5'5" tall.  I would check them at the dealer first.....

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Macan S is a hell of a lot of car.  I enjoyed test driving them, and the Turbo model, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was planning on buying a Macan this year when I sell my old truck, so we'd still have something at least decent in bad weather... but then my partner decided to buy a new Tacoma last week for hunting... so I don't know what the hell I want to buy now. Stick with the Macan? Buy a boxter? I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two certified bmw x7's on the lot right now. One is a 2020 and the other is a 2019 come on down
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think the X7 and some versions of the X5 have air suspension? I would look towards those, otherwise people often aren't happy with the rougher ride of BMW versus competitors. I would also look at Audi Q7 or Q8, with optional air suspension. Audi is very function and practicality focused which you might appreciate. I test drove the new Genesis GV80 and that was damn nice looking vehicle too.
View Quote

riding on air would be nice....I know MB has the softest suspensions but my mom is set on BMW.

If it were me i'd look at the GV80, but it's not me
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have two certified bmw x7's on the lot right now. One is a 2020 and the other is a 2019 come on down
View Quote

lol that's quite a trip
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol nice
View Quote

will prob debadge when it gets warmer, and throw some black over the roundels, so i can tell people its a honda.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

All those years truckin?

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#34]
X5 should do the trick.  Had a love/hate relationship with mine.  Managed to squeeze over 250k miles out of it
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
X5

Even though I had an older one and it was a PITA to maintain, it was very nice to drive and had a fair amount of room.
An X3 is tiny by comparison, especially from the inside. You'll be all elbows and assholes fiddling with 2 car seats in the back, not so with the X5.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
X5 should do the trick.  Had a love/hate relationship with mine.  Managed to squeeze over 250k miles out of it
View Quote

damn that's impressive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Tunes will be detected, whether flash or piggyback.  It's just the way it is now.
X5 might be too small.

I have the F33 430i with a flash tune for me and my dog car.  I have the F39 X2 M35i for the grandkids car.  I can fit a car seat and a booster seat in the back.  No way I'm getting 3 in the back with seats.
Thankfully the oldest is 6 and doesn't need a seat so I can fit the 3 kids in the back with a booster for the 4 year old and a car seat for the 1 year old.  It's tight.
I know the X2 is basically a lifted Mini but the X5 was kinda smallish to me.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
X5

Even though I had an older one and it was a PITA to maintain, it was very nice to drive and had a fair amount of room.
An X3 is tiny by comparison, especially from the inside. You'll be all elbows and assholes fiddling with 2 car seats in the back, not so with the X5.
View Quote

good to know, yeah that's the only PITA, no good indie techs in the area. There is a shop 1hr away, so it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Plenty of leg room for the kids. I have a 4 and 8 yo.

That’s with the drivers seat set up for my 6’2” ass.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

hmmmmm

now you have my attention
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I believe you are on the right track with the X5.  I am biased since I bought one last year.  I like the handling, performance, ride and interior quality.  Exterior looks are of course subjective.  One thing to consider is the one I wanted (interior upgrade option) was only available in ONE car at the dealers.  So there are two things on mine I would not have gotten if given my druthers

First, the standard size tires are a better ride.  Don't handle as well but really it isn't a 911 anyway.  And if you need to replace one you'll be glad you stuck with standard.

Second mine came with an optional upgraded paint job.  As in maybe one of 10 or whatever at a $5,000 upgrade price.  I would have been JUST as happy to save that money and drive a white one.  

But I admit set up as it is it is a bit of a head turner - for an SUV.  LOL

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Love my X3 M40i. I think it's the perfect mix between the regular X3 and the X3M.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah that I didn't realize. Never mind my recommendation then.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

They aren't what they do best, but they're still fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Best BMW SUV is GMT900 and M.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Had one. AWD, 6-spd awesome car.

Until the warranty ran out. Never own a BMW out of warranty…

TC
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I had an X3. They're nice, but quite small. I've driven many X5's, and they're much more comfortable. I'm going to buy a 2019 (or newer) X5 in the next few months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

hmmmmm

View All Quotes
Quoted:

hmmmmm

Perhaps another noteworthy item.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I wanted an X7, until everyone i saw on the street was a soccer mom
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#50]
They are not SUV or crossovers or whatever. They are station wagons. Very nice, very powerful, very expensive station wagons.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

ETA: More power to you…but still, they’re station wagons and had to get that off my chest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top