Quoted:
We know.
View Quote

Cool that you speak for everyone here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really don't care one way or the other as long as any life found there remains there.

But you wait, if some life is found the weenies in the white lab coats will want to bring it back to earth "to study it".

It will be a bad day to be human.

https://lwlies.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/the-andromeda-strain-1971-1108x0-c-default.jpg
View Quote

I gots my sterno and my rag, plus I cry a lot at night. I'm good.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Damnit guys, seriously?  Can we leave faith out of this?

Quit tarding shit up, Bible thumpers and athiests alike.  Fuck.
View Quote

I was about to ask what was up with all the edits.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mars exploration is a giant waste of money and the results are always boring as fuck.
View Quote

I think a lot of this is more testing in preparation for a human eventually going to Mars.

I genuinely believe I'll see a woman (#woke) walk on Mars in my lifetime.

I hope it's Christina Koch, the lady from NC State, if that does happen. She is at least somewhat cute and represented my school well.

Attachment Attached File

Pic she took at international space station.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will find a new covid strain with interstellar transmission capabilities.
View Quote

Biden will put mars on lockdown

Cuomo will demand covid money because of mar's lockdown and kill a bunch of martians
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I, for one, am super exited about this. I hope we get to do this more but the current administration would rather focus on student debt for liberal arts degrees...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Queue up Marvin the Martian.jpg
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck Disney.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
WTF was going on on page one? ffs people, control yourselves.

NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover Landing Animations

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck Disney.
View Quote

Boom!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
What the heck is with all the censored posts in a Mars rover thread? What was everyone pissing in the cereal over?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that is how SPECIES started.
View Quote

That alien broad was not guilty in the movie!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
This is pretty cool. Especially the use of a drone to cover much more ground than the previous rovers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing is for sure.  If china gets astronauts to Mars first and there are Martians - the Martians will wind up in the stir fry.  Beaks, tentacles and three-lobed testicles.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't doubt at all that there was and possibly still is life on mars.  I think they found it with Viking and glossed over it / covered it up simply because the religious could not stand the thought of not being the center of the universe.  Pretty much the same reason Galileo was strong armed by the Catholic Church over his figuring out how the solar system worked.

View Quote

I doubt finding bacterial type life on Mars would have much affect on religious types, let alone have them lose their feelings of Big Daddies favorites.

Now, it would be a different story had they found E.T. type aliens with the lighted tip colonoscopy finger. In that movie no one realized the alien was actually saying "Bend Over!" and that phrase in its language just happened to sound like "Phone Home!"
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be surprised if they actually found life on Mars. I'm sure they will find ancient remains of something eventually, and they will publicize it. If they actually found viable/active life on Mars, they would cover it up!!! Guaranteed!

I think a good size lunar base/colony needs to be a priority over Mars. The moon needs to be the outpost to the rest of the solar system IMO. I watch The Expanse, I know what I'm talking about!!!

-ZA
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I for one welcome our new Martian Overlords Akk ak Akkkk ak!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't doubt at all that there was and possibly still is life on mars.  I think they found it with Viking and glossed over it / covered it up simply because the religious could not stand the thought of not being the center of the universe.  Pretty much the same reason Galileo was strong armed by the Catholic Church over his figuring out how the solar system worked.

View Quote

Catholics don't believe that crap. Catholics preserved tons of knowledge over the centuries and plenty of scientists have done shitty things too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WTF?

Potentially the coolest thread in GD this week and people are already shitting all over it?  

Several posters here deserve a single warning and then a timeout.

Bullshit like this gets really old.  
View Quote

Agree....Place gets more like GLP, everyday.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The little helicopter thing should be really cool if they can get it to work. Differences in the atmosphere (they had to "guess") might have it crashing right after takeoff, though.

This might be the trip they really find an old rusted out ship or something.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The little helicopter thing should be really cool if they can get it to work. Differences in the atmosphere (they had to "guess") might have it crashing right after takeoff, though.

View Quote

That could be...interesting.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I believe in God. No questions, no hesitations.

I also believe the bible is a very good attempt to put the oral history of mankind into written form.  Done by the learned people of the day to give the uneducated guides to live happy healthy lives while ensuring their elevated status of power in the world.

I also can do math. Based our sun and solar system,  the billions of suns and trillions of planets mathematically guarantee there is life of some kind elsewhere.

I'm ok with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt finding bacterial type life on Mars would have much affect on religious types, let alone have them lose their feelings of Big Daddies favorites.

Now, it would be a different story had they found E.T. type aliens with the lighted tip colonoscopy finger. In that movie no one realized the alien was actually saying "Bend Over!" and that phrase in its language just happened to sound like "Phone Home!"
View Quote

Few Christians I know would even be slightly startled at the discovery of an alien intelligent species.  I've always thought of angels and demonic beings along the same vein, I doubt there is little difference, just the terminology and mission.  It would be the height of ignorance to believe that God was obliged to put all knowledge and information of His plans and offworld hobbies into the Bible or make it available to humans.  Who are we to think God owes us that information?  I would find it curious that He doesn't have other dimension and universes that we aren't aware of, parallel creations.
As wonderful and multi-faceted a jewel as planet earth is, I can imagine all of creation to be just as many splendored. Much of it probably beyond our senses abilities of awareness or even comprehension.  I see comments like yours commonly and there seems to be in many of them an underlying hatefull glee that Christian faith may be in danger of becoming unravelled if such a finding were to occur. I'm not accusing you specifically of that, but wrong or right, It is my perception and it reeks of a small pathetic hateful mindset. It is also incorrect and comes from a position of ignorance of Christian faith. Would a few be unsettled, absolutely, but not Christianity as a whole.  Most likely it would simply expand to accept those beings as well. Who is to say they are not already aware and in belief of God?  With their own Bible?  That would rustle some athiest jimmies for sure.

Just as I view a wild bear or lion as a potential threat, I will view any unknown intelligent life form in the same vein until fully understood.  Depending on the level of intelligence, it may even become an ingredient in a gumbo.

Again, this isn't an attack on you specifically, just I just find the entire premise to be mistaken, or at the most, overblown.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
87 minutes!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
That thing is huge.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote

It has long been said that Viking discovered evidence of life, but it was later discarded or ignored for reasons that didn't have to do with science.

-K
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s in God’s character to create life, whether it be on Earth, Mars, Yavin 4, whatever. I don’t understand you’re argument.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's in God's character to create life, whether it be on Earth, Mars, Yavin 4, whatever. I don't understand you're argument.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's in God's character to create life, whether it be on Earth, Mars, Yavin 4, whatever. I don't understand you're argument.
Luis Elizondo, the guy who ran the Pentagon's UAP/UFO project, has stated several times that high level officials with certain religious beliefs prevented his program from doing what it needed to accomplish it's mission.  Their religious beliefs prevented them from being objective.  

There is plenty of precedent for religion hampering scientific progress.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
OP's landing time is a little off.

"The Perseverance rover will land on Mars on Thursday at 3:55 p.m. EST (2055 GMT), but NASA's webcasts for the event actually begin today (Feb. 16) at 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT). "
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they send back a picture of a rusted ship on mars, then I'll know for certain it's fake.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looked to me like first shots fired in this thread didn't come from people of faith.
View Quote

It usually isnt. Its the fedora tipping edgelords that cant help themselves. They have ironically become more annoying than a bunch of tambourine banging Jesus freaks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#34]
NASA live

WATCH NOW: NASA's Perseverance Rover lands on Mars @replay
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Looking forward to this!

I have two meetings (virtual) this afternoon and haven't compared specific times, but hopefully I get to see the good stuff live.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Luis Elizondo, the guy who ran the Pentagon's UAP/UFO project, has stated several times that high level officials with certain religious beliefs prevented his program from doing what it needed to accomplish it's mission.  Their religious beliefs prevented them from being objective.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not a zealot so I guess that’s why I don’t get it. Thanks for the clarification, have a good day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#38]
glad its also in spanish and complete with clown world mask muffle

eta- its not that its also in spanish that is annoying but that they try to do them both in the same broadcast and will have to say everything twice, so we can take turns waiting.

eta2- Did they just use enough Spanish to Hispander? because it stopped
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#39]
What's so special about this one?  Is it more better and going to find 10x more life than the last rover?  What does 10 x 0 = ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#40]
So are we going to see an animation at the time it actually lands?

Or are we going to see footage of it landing 30 minutes after it actually landed?

Hopefully it will drop a go pro first so we can see it landing instead of seeing Mars as it is landing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
glad its also in spanish and complete with clown world mask muffle
View Quote

They don’t want us to catch it over the internet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Did she just assume the rovers gender?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did she just assume the rovers gender?
View Quote
totally heinous
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They don't want us to catch it over the internet.
View Quote
I hope my antivirus / firewall is up to it
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the opposite of the plot of the recent film Ad Astra.

The main antagonist is a holy roller religious fanatic who believes there just MUST be more life out there, cuz GOD. It turns out they don't find any, so he goes insane. This lines up with the more humanist views of the liberal directors, as the protagonist of the film says "We're all we got."

I wish humankind could just tell the fucking truth to its population, one single time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So are we going to see an animation at the time it actually lands?

Or are we going to see footage of it landing 30 minutes after it actually landed?

Hopefully it will drop a go pro first so we can see it landing instead of seeing Mars as it is landing.
View Quote
When Curiosity landed, the first indication was a low-res photo sent back to Earth, and it showed it wheels down.

As the picture came in, you could hear mission control shout "it's a wheel!"
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The hotrod touches down then. Here is how to watch it land:

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-watch-nasas-perseverance-mars-rover-landing/?fbclid=IwAR1mnMHUe7Oi830xXONv36Jg4dFgzy3unhhl3Or1SKU9ezeabc1IBjPcofA

Pretty sure they are all prepared to "find" stuff on this one.

do we get to see Natasha Henstridge's tits again?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think a lot of this is more testing in preparation for a human eventually going to Mars.

I hope it's Christina Koch, the lady from NC State, if that does happen. She is at least somewhat cute and represented my school well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Astronaut-Christina-Koch_NASA-4_jpg-1830551.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/384J1507-1500x1000_jpg-1830549.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mars exploration is a giant waste of money and the results are always boring as fuck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Astronaut-Christina-Koch_NASA-4_jpg-1830551.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/384J1507-1500x1000_jpg-1830549.JPG

Smart and the dirty-nerdy glasses always get me. I’ll allow it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What's so special about this one?  Is it more better and going to find 10x more life than the last rover?  What does 10 x 0 = ?
View Quote

I hope we never find life on mars, or the EPA will shut everything down.
A directly useful thing they are doing: test oxygen production
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Helicopter drone!!!  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top