BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh c'mon, Man.  Some of these guys are talking about aliens and dragons. And you are going to roll your eyes at me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in a big storm like that, would a SAM or something similar show up on radar?

It's surrounded by Indonesia.  Why would Indonesia shoot down a plane full of Indonesians?

Clearly it's dragons

I was thinking more along the lines of a sub testing out new toys .

Oh c'mon, Man.  Some of these guys are talking about aliens and dragons. And you are going to roll your eyes at me.

Except that they are obviously joking and referencing the missing Malahsian flight thread.

You on the other hand, you seem quite serious with that errant missile from a sub theory.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How long have you been working for CNN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys, as I have said, I have flown that way many many times.  

I *may* have seen dragons around there.  It's a possibility, although I am usually sleeping or watching movies.

So far, it's the best that we have so I hereby move to declare that dragons are officially the most likely cause

How long have you been working for CNN.

I am more fact based than CNN
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The aliens probably brought it down because they couldn't handle the screaming and crying of 16 children on a single airbus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More: Airport official says 16 children and 1 infant were on board the missing AirAsia flight from Indonesia to Singapore - @AP

The aliens probably brought it down because they couldn't handle the screaming and crying of 16 children on a single airbus.

kind of fucked up
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore just gave a brief press confrence.

Fox News said there are unconfirmed reports the plane crashed near the island of Java.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

3rd-world maintenance practices?

Aircraft was only 6 years old.

View Quote
In one of my old hard drives I have a bunch of email photos of Airbus delaminations, the stuff you don't see on the news.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 (Surabaya LT) this morning. The flight took off from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya at 0535hours.

The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200 with the registration number PK-AXC. There were two pilots, four flight attendants and one engineer on board.

The captain in command had a total of 6,100 flying hours and the first officer a total of 2,275 flying hours

There were 155 passengers on board, with 138 adults, 16 children and 1 infant. Also on board were 2 pilots and 5 cabin crew.
Nationalities of passengers and crew onboard are as below:
1 Singapore
1 Malaysia
3 South Korean
157 Indonesia

At this time, search and rescue operations are being conducted under the guidance of The Indonesia of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). AirAsia Indonesia is cooperating fully and assisting the investigation in every possible way.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to enroute weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The aircraft had undergone its last scheduled maintenance on 16 November 2014.

Airline Reporter
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]

You guys are right, aliens and dragons it is.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fixed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More: Airport official says 16 children and 1 infant were on board the missing AirAsia flight from Indonesia to Singapore - @AP

ARFCOM probably brought it down because they couldn't handle the screaming and crying of 16 children on a single airbus.  And there was a fight over knee defenders.
Fixed.  

Plausible.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully they can locate the wreckage and pull survivors from the water.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The flight was at 32,000 ft when contact was lost.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You guys are right, aliens and dragons it is.
View Quote

Aliens and dragons are just as plausible as a SAM shot from a submarine in a real world test.  And we clearly aren't being serious.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fixed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ARFCOM probably brought it down because they couldn't handle the screaming and crying of 16 children on a single airbus.  And there was a fight over knee defenders.
Fixed.  
Because now Arfcom is a psycho world power group with AA capabilities?

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
AirAsia Flight QZ-8501 went missing on early Sunday morning going from Indonesia to Singapore. According to the Malaysian Insider on Sunday:

An aircraft has reportedly crashed in the waters off East Belitung, off the east coast of Sumatra, after authorities confirmed that AirAsia Flight QZ8501 went missing earlier today.

The Bangka Pos news portal said there was no confirmation of the crash site.

As the Insider reported, the Bangka Pos said that “authorities received information that the location is at Babel coast, but the exact place was still unknown.”

“We are still coordinating and gathering information from the fishermen and the ships passing through the Beltim coast,” AKP Yanto told Bangka Pos.

According to a Google Translate of the Bangka Pos article, it said an “Airbus reportedly crashed in the waters of East Belitung.” The headline says the “AirAsia Airbus” was the plane.

Epoch Times
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Updated statement

https://www.facebook.com/notes/airasia/updated-statement-qz8501/10152667884908742

[Updated statement] QZ8501

AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 (Surabaya LT) this morning. The flight took off from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya at 0535hours.

The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200 with the registration number PK-AXC. There were two pilots, four flight attendants and one engineer on board.

The captain in command had a total of 6,100 flying hours and the first officer a total of 2,275 flying hours

There were 155 passengers on board, with 138 adults, 16 children and 1 infant. Also on board were 2 pilots and 5 cabin crew.

Nationalities of passengers and crew onboard are as below:

1 Singapore

1 Malaysia

1 France

3 South Korean

156 Indonesia

At this time, search and rescue operations are being conducted under the guidance of The Indonesia of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). AirAsia Indonesia is cooperating fully and assisting the investigation in every possible way.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to enroute weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The aircraft had undergone its last scheduled maintenance on 16 November 2014.

AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.

AirAsia will release further information as soon as it becomes available. Updated information will also be posted on the AirAsia website, www.airasia.com.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed.  
Arfcom can do anything

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah! Fuck stats and shit!

Dragons!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cathay, SIA and JAL are all pretty good...  

Emirates, Qatar and Etihad are all pretty good too...

I would rather fly out of the Middle East than ANY Indonesia/Asian/muslim influenced country.
Would you rather fly with a US Airline or...   SIA or Cathay?

I feel that's a loaded question,  but what the hell, U.S. of course. I know you're gonna pull up stats, but the fact is, AMERICA has the most amount of aircraft aloft at any time, all over the world... so yeah, USA, USA!

Dragons!

The fact is AMERICA has the best all-around record for commercial flights in the world. You'd have to be really stupid to press your luck when it comes to flying. Or a communist. So go ahead and give me some fluffed up numbers from some other country with a better "flight record ".
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.  

Sigh...That thread must be in Team.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

AirAsia Flight QZ-8501 went missing on early Sunday morning going from Indonesia to Singapore. According to the Malaysian Insider on Sunday:

An aircraft has reportedly crashed in the waters off East Belitung, off the east coast of Sumatra, after authorities confirmed that AirAsia Flight QZ8501 went missing earlier today.

The Bangka Pos news portal said there was no confirmation of the crash site.

As the Insider reported, the Bangka Pos said that "authorities received information that the location is at Babel coast, but the exact place was still unknown.”

"We are still coordinating and gathering information from the fishermen and the ships passing through the Beltim coast,” AKP Yanto told Bangka Pos.

According to a Google Translate of the Bangka Pos article, it said an "Airbus reportedly crashed in the waters of East Belitung.” The headline says the "AirAsia Airbus” was the plane.

Epoch Times

View Quote

Thanks for the updates.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if weather/turbulance ripped it apart
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The fact is AMERICA has the best all-around record for commercial flights in the world. You'd have to be really stupid to press your luck when it comes to flying. Or a communist. So go ahead and give me some fluffed up numbers from some other country with a better "flight record ".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would rather fly out of the Middle East than ANY Indonesia/Asian/muslim influenced country.
Would you rather fly with a US Airline or...   SIA or Cathay?

I feel that's a loaded question,  but what the hell, U.S. of course. I know you're gonna pull up stats, but the fact is, AMERICA has the most amount of aircraft aloft at any time, all over the world... so yeah, USA, USA!

Dragons!

SIA has had 1 fatal accident.  Ever.

Cathay's last fatal accident was in 1963 (except for a fatal bombing).

Both are right up there in the list of best and safest airlines.

But please continue on with your patriotism and refuse to acknowledge fact.

BTW, Qantas has never had a fatal accident in the jet age, but you don't see me going all "STRAYA FUCK YEAH PLANES N SHIT".

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed.  

You're going to have to pay to find out
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wi tu lo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sum Ting Wong?

Ho Lee Fuk

Wi tu lo

Let me say it in english...
"something's fucky"
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Captain in command of AirAsia flight had a total of 6,100 flying
hours, and the 1st officer a total of 2,275 flying hours, AirAsia says -
@TODAYonline

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.  

DU likes to think so.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#27]
From the airliners.net board

A320FlyGuy From Canada, joined May 2012, 41 posts,

Reply 91, posted Sun Dec 28 2014 16:00:05 your local time (1 hour 46 secs ago) and read 17282 times:

My hopes and prayers are with the passengers and their families - I think we all know what the outcome is going to be, but one can always have hope.

While the weather on the route looks rather nasty, I have always found that the A320 is a really solid aircraft in turbulence. I've flown it through bad winter storms, tropical thunderstorms and all sorts of combined weather and I've never felt that the aircraft was being held together on a hope and a prayer. I would be shocked if this was a case of turbulence causing a major structural failure. To the best of my knowledge, the A320 has never had any sort of major in-flight structural failure.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Wasn't there a France Airbus flight that crashed over the ocean because of a co-pilot that didn't know how to fly in bad weather with Autopilot turned off?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#29]
https://twitter.com/GerryS/status/549075001173766144

Apparently a leaked photo of the Air Traffic Control screen showing 36300 ft and climbing but only 353 knots.

Apparently this is bad
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#30]
ROP
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Mayday/Air Crash investigations had an episode on it that you can find on youtube (Out of Control).

Been binging on that show this weekend, oddly enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JAL 123 still holds the record for single deadliest accident.

Wow, uncontrolled descent from 13000' into a mountain and still lots of survivors.

Mayday/Air Crash investigations had an episode on it that you can find on youtube (Out of Control).

Been binging on that show this weekend, oddly enough.

So have I. Missed that one, though.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

My good friend and neighbor is a senior captain at AA, and he's retiring early because he says he doesn't know why the hell there aren't smoking holes in the ground every 60-90 days. He also doesn't allow his family to fly. The stories he's shared about how airlines actually run and some of his close calls are flat out horrifying.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:12:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ROP
View Quote

Doubtful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:15:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wow, uncontrolled descent from 13000' into a mountain and still lots of survivors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were four survivors out of 524 people on the plane.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My good friend and neighbor is a senior captain at AA, and he's retiring early because he says he doesn't know why the hell there aren't smoking holes in the ground every 60-90 days. He also doesn't allow his family to fly. The stories he's shared about how airlines actually run and some of his close calls are flat out horrifying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't believe that for a second.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And probably many of them that survived the initial crash. That airplane was fully loaded with fuel when it went down.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Apparently a leaked photo of the Air Traffic Control screen showing 36300 ft and climbing but only 353 knots.
Apparently this is bad
View Quote

Why is that bad?

With a lower speed he could be descending, maneuvering, climbing, etc. Granted, I believe that may be below the stall speed at that altitude.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many survived the crash, but were killed by stubbornness in the Japanese government.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:19:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Why is that bad?

With a lower speed he could be descending, maneuvering, climbing, etc. Granted, I believe that may be below the stall speed at that altitude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently this is bad

Why is that bad?

Climbing while at a low speed may suggest that they are headed towards a stall?  Similar to the Air France flight.

All speculation at the moment though.  It could mean that there's a dragon holding onto the plane
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Apparently this is bad
View Quote

Does that mean it went vertical really fast?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag for outcome.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:23:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a France Airbus flight that crashed over the ocean because of a co-pilot that didn't know how to fly in bad weather with Autopilot turned off?
View Quote

A little more complex than that, but yeah.  He and the pilot were essentially fighting each other, without realizing it.  That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:29:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Wasn't there a crash (no idea how long ago) where .mil pilots or some shit went up to meet the airline when they stopped responding, and they saw all the oxygen masks had deployed but everybody was frozen?  Or am I making that up?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#44]
lol

He needs to retire.

The air is dangerous.  He's probably more worried about TSA, or he should be.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:31:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently this is bad

I'm not an aviator but would guess that is not enough speed to maintain lift.
Isn't that what happened to another scarebus that crashed in the ocean a few years ago? Pilot thought he was going much faster than reality?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:32:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Compare how many aircraft qatas has with our SMALLEST airline and their flight schedule. Then get back to me. Sure, a little company-relatively speaking- will have a smaller accident incident, but if you're good at math, which yo me, it doesn't seem like you are, the numbers speak for themselves. USA! USA!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:33:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Air France 447 was an Airbus 330 that probably lost its instrument readings because the inlets (pitot tubes) for the system froze. This caused false and contradictory readings and shut down the auto-pilot. The captain was out of the cockpit. The plane threw out confusing data and alarms and the first officer ignored the first rule of aviation: fly the plane. He tried to fly the alarms and they crashed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:33:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Isn't that what happened to another scarebus that crashed in the ocean a few years ago? Pilot thought he was going much faster than reality?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently this is bad

Pretty sure you are talking about the same France flight 447 that I was referring to. Auto-pilot turned off, and the pilot pulled up the stick and kept stalling out the engines until it was too late.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No.
Air France 447 was an Airbus 330 that probably lost its instrument readings because the inlets (pitot tubes) for the system froze. This caused false and contradictory readings and shut down the auto-pilot. The captain was out of the cockpit. The plane threw out confusing data and alarms and the first officer ignored the first rule of aviation: fly the plane. He tried to fly the alarms and they crashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Yep, that was basically where I was going with that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do. It costs more to park the car at the airport for 4 days than it does to fly from Darwin to Hong Kong return a lot of times. Those short trips in and around SE Asia are like the cost of a bus ticket with little to no margin for real profit.  

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top