BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 73
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Joe told Iran to "limit" their strike to 200 missiles?

View Quote

WAR has become WWE
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This may or may not be an ideal opportunity for site resources to be realigned and
offensive posters, be purged.
View Quote

GD isn't a safe space, maybe try Facebook?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lot's of clowns in this thread calling for a nuclear strike ,no wonder the left thinks

were nut's.
View Quote

The same left that is telling Iran what level of military force they can use against a sovereign state.  Didn't Iran attack bases with US personnel a few months ago?
But we've been told that the US doesn't expect Iran to attack US forces this time, must be because the Biden administration didn't give Iran the authorization to do so.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nothing like advocating silencing people for saying things you don't like.
View Quote

Clearly a DU plant
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe Israel is still owed a container ship, crew and cargo that was illegally seized.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Haven't heard or read much about the Saudis. Did they shoot down any UAVs coming from Yemen?
View Quote

They aren’t going to promote that any more than they have.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol, I got no dog in this hunt, but as a poet I truly am giggling at the unintentional irony of a former Yugoslavian calling someone else a communist.

No offense bro, I currently own many Yugo AK mags and assorted parts.
View Quote

Trust me, I know one when I see one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Israel will launch a bunch of rockets and take out a bunch of factory’s and launch sites. Anyone who wants to bet a Pmag thinking Israel will drop sunshine shoot me an @
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The Institute for the Study of War published a "special edition" on last night's attack

Iran’s Attempt to Hit Israel with a Russian-Style Strike Package Failed...for Now

The Iranian April 13 missile-drone attack on Israel was very likely intended to cause significant damage below the threshold that would trigger a massive Israeli response.  The attack was designed to succeed, not to fail.  

The strike package was modeled on those the Russians have used repeatedly against Ukraine to great effect. The attack caused more limited damage than intended likely because the Iranians underestimated the tremendous advantages Israel has in defending against such strikes compared with Ukraine.

The Iranians will learn lessons from this strike and work to improve their abilities to penetrate Israeli defenses over time as the Russians have done in repeated strike series against Ukraine.

The strike consisted of approximately 170 drones, 30 cruise missiles, and 120 ballistic missiles.  The drones were launched well before the ballistic missiles were fired, very likely in the expectation that they would arrive in Israel’s air defense window at about the same time as the cruise missiles and drones.  The Russians have used such an approach against Ukraine repeatedly.

The purpose of such a package is to have the slower cruise missiles and drones distract and overwhelm air defenses in order to allow the ballistic missiles, which are much harder to shoot down, to reach their targets.

Israel’s air defense system has a number of obvious advantages over Ukrainian air defense, but the full implications of some of those advantages might well have been unclear to Iranian strike planners

Entire article in quote box
Brian Carter and Frederick W. Kagan

The Iranian April 13 missile-drone attack on Israel was very likely intended to cause significant damage below the threshold that would trigger a massive Israeli response.  The attack was designed to succeed, not to fail.  The strike package was modeled on those the Russians have used repeatedly against Ukraine to great effect. The attack caused more limited damage than intended likely because the Iranians underestimated the tremendous advantages Israel has in defending against such strikes compared with Ukraine. The Iranians will learn lessons from this strike and work to improve their abilities to penetrate Israeli defenses over time as the Russians have done in repeated strike series against Ukraine.

The strike consisted of approximately 170 drones, 30 cruise missiles, and 120 ballistic missiles.[1]  The drones were launched well before the ballistic missiles were fired, very likely in the expectation that they would arrive in Israel’s air defense window at about the same time as the cruise missiles and drones.  The Russians have used such an approach against Ukraine repeatedly.[2]  The purpose of such a package is to have the slower cruise missiles and drones distract and overwhelm air defenses in order to allow the ballistic missiles, which are much harder to shoot down, to reach their targets.  The Iranians very likely expected that few if any of the cruise missiles and drones would hit their targets, but likely hoped that a significantly higher percentage of the ballistic missiles would do so.

Only a few ballistic missiles penetrated Israeli air defenses and struck near Israeli military bases out of the 120 or so the Iranians fired.[3] Ukrainian air defenses have averaged interception rates of only about 46% of Russian ballistic missiles during recent large strikes.  The Iranians likely expected that Israeli rates would be higher than the Ukrainian rates but not above 90% against such a large ballistic missile salvo—the Russians, after all, have never fired close to that many large ballistic missiles in a single strike against Ukraine. Ukraine frequently intercepts more than 75% of Russian cruise missiles and drones, but many of those interceptions occur within the air defense umbrella that is also occupied with ballistic missile defense. The Iranians thus likely expected that at least some of their drones and cruise missiles would interfere with Israeli targeting of incoming ballistic missiles, whereas apparently none did.

Israel’s air defense system has a number of obvious advantages over Ukrainian air defense, but the full implications of some of those advantages might well have been unclear to Iranian strike planners. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and Israel’s allies have much larger and robust anti-missile and air defense systems and stocks of interceptors for them than Ukraine does—especially as Ukraine exhausts its supplies of interceptors while awaiting renewed US military assistance.  Israel also benefits from the roughly 1,000 kilometers separating its borders from Iran’s.  Israel and its allies used that distance to intercept all of the incoming drones and cruise missiles with ground-based air defense and combat aircraft before they even came within Israel’s own missile-defense umbrella. Israel and its allies employed hundreds of combat aircraft in this effort.[4] Ukraine lacks both of these advantages.[5]  Iran also lacks access to the near-hypersonic missiles Russia has used to penetrate Ukrainian air defenses more reliably—at least for now.

Ukraine has, in particular, been unable to use combat aircraft to shoot down Russian drones and cruise missiles at scale, and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky recently observed that Kyiv will likely use the F-16s Ukraine will receive this summer in those roles.[6] It has long been known that both drones and cruise missiles can be shot down by combat aircraft, but the Ukraine war has not yet seen a concerted effort made by a large and modern air force to intercept drone and cruise missile strikes at scale, and it is very possible that the Iranians underestimated the effectiveness of that effort.

Iran will learn additional lessons from the failed April 13 attack that it can leverage to launch more successful attacks in the future. The lessons that Iran will draw from this attack will allow it to build more successful strike packages in the future. The attack probably helped Iran identify the relative strengths and the weaknesses of the Israeli air defense system. Iran will likely also share the lessons it learned in this attack with Russia. Russia will then use these lessons to improve its ability to defeat US- and NATO-provided air defense systems in Ukraine. Iran may be able to share lessons with Russia about the relative strengths and weaknesses of US-built aircraft and air-to-air missiles in intercepting these missiles and drones.

Iran’s ability to penetrate Israeli air defenses with even a small number of large ballistic missiles presents serious security concerns for Israel. The only Iranian missiles that got through hit an Israeli military base, limiting the damage, but a future strike in which several ballistic missiles penetrate Israeli air defenses and hit Tel Aviv or Haifa could cause significant civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure, including ports and energy. Russian strikes on Ukraine have demonstrated that even a small number of precise strikes against key nodes in energy or other infrastructure can cause disproportionate effects. Israel and its partners should not emerge from this successful defense with any sense of complacency.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A subterranean nuke would cause a pretty neat earthquake....
View Quote

This notion has been in the back of my mind since Netanyahu mentioned 'Earthquake' yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Trust me, I know one when I see one.
View Quote

Oh I believe ya', I got a couple dirty vintage rifles that reek of cosmoline and commie-nism myself. Don't mind me, just enjoying the view here from the cheap seats and poppin' corn.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3060_jpeg-3188033.JPG
View Quote
wood confidently fill out my next foreign contacts list w that one.  hhnngg
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because they are corrupt as hell lol. Is this even a question at this point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why TF do Democrats kiss the fucking Iranians ass so much? seriously?

Because they are corrupt as hell lol. Is this even a question at this point?

The Dem *HAVE* to act like Iranisn't as bad as it really is - otherwise, one might question unfreezing their illegal oil money and flying them pallets of cash.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This notion has been in the back of my mind since Netanyahu mentioned 'Earthquake' yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A subterranean nuke would cause a pretty neat earthquake....

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Shouldn't there be big buddy-booms by now?  Or is Israel waiting another day?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said on Sunday that Iran gave neighboring countries and Israel's ally the United States 72 hours' notice it would launch the strikes.

I spoke with His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan today about the situation in the Middle East. We agreed to remain in touch over the coming days as we continue to monitor the situation. We also discussed our efforts to increase critical humanitarian assistance to Gaza.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Iran's Supreme National Security Council has approved a tenfold increase in the magnitude of strikes against Israel if Netanyahu decides to escalate the situation further

Ig, which will be more than 1,000 ballistic missiles
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Iran's Supreme National Security Council has approved a tenfold increase in the magnitude of strikes against Israel if Netanyahu decides to escalate the situation further

View Quote

Iran really wants to get nuked I guess.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Waiting another day.

Israel is in a tough position here:  They can't allow this attack by Iran to go unpunished, but they can't really do anything without US help.

So Biden gets his way, for now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

WAR has become WWE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAR has become WWE

It sucks how woke todays society is because they could have some epic storylines featuring the different countries, ethnic groups and governments that are in conflict. Make The Iron Sheik and Sgt. Slaughter type characters great again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mahmood: Alababamed, why is the great sun rising at 2am?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Waiting another day.

Israel is in a tough position here:  They can't allow this attack by Iran to go unpunished, but they can't really do anything without US help.

So Biden gets his way, for now.
View Quote

Israel doesn't need the U.S. for offensive help.  They are quite capable of handling that aspect.  I suspect they are analyzing both defensive and offensive capabilities and strike packages for themselves, and from the possible Iranian counteroffensive
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Israel should attack DC
View Quote
More than they already have?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#27]
But muh economy and muh fuel prices.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But muh economy and muh fuel prices.
View Quote

Arf filled their bourbons and owns oil stock
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Israel doesn't need the U.S. for offensive help.  They are quite capable of handling that aspect.  I suspect they are analyzing both defensive and offensive capabilities and strike packages for themselves, and from the possible Iranian counteroffensive
View Quote

You better believe they need our help , why haven’t they struck back yet, they’ve been told that the money faucet of  $ 4 billion a year will be shut off if they escalate things any further.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Given his posts so far his superior knowledge will remain unobtainable.
View Quote

Perfect coming from a guy named blue balls lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WAR has become WWE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAR has become WWE
Is this like a Russia can make a "small incursion into Ukraine" kind of stupidity from POTATUS?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm still not entirely sure they've settled on a course of action. It's about sunrise in Iran, so it wouldn't happen until tomorrow night at the earliest.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You better believe they need our help , why haven’t they struck back yet, they’ve been told that the money faucet of  $ 4 billion a year will be shut off if they escalate things any further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFIK, Biden didn't say he would cut off all support, he said the U.S. would not participate in a retaliatory strike.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Eventually, Israel will attack and destroy Iran’s nuclear program.

This has always been true.

Iran’s silly drones are not a threat, but a nuke will become a threat, eventually.

“Eventually” might be soon.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/John-Bolton-Israel-s-response-to-Iran-s-strikes-should-be-far-stronger-take-out-their-Nuclear-and/5-2719524/
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

AFIK, Biden didn't say he would cut off all support, he said the U.S. would not participate in a retaliatory strike.
View Quote
If they strike them meaningfully enough to start a war, we're practically guaranteed to get involved in some capacity, even if it's a purely defensive role, but at that point I wouldn't really be surprised if Iran considers our assets in the region valid targets as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

GD isn't a safe space, maybe try Facebook?
View Quote

ChiCom gonna Chicom
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, there will be a number of Omega tankers doing laps in the Mediterranean?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He told the Israelis that the US may have a policy change that f they didn’t get their act together in Gaza , the Israelis aren’t going to push their luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If they strike them meaningfully enough to start a war, we're practically guaranteed to get involved in some capacity, even if it's a purely defensive role, but at that point I wouldn't really be surprised if Iran considers our assets in the region valid targets as well.
View Quote

If it starts a war Iran will fling shit at everyone in range from us and Israel to Saudi, Jordan etc… it’ll be interesting to see a war where us, Israel, Jordan and Saudi are all curb stomping the shit out of Iran.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

it was probably this one and got dragged ashore.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLIruJSWEAEJcy6?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Marvin Martian - Wheres the Kaboom?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was probably this one and got dragged ashore.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLIruJSWEAEJcy6?format=jpg&name=large

Thank you

The dragging.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Eventually, Israel will attack and destroy Iran’s nuclear program.

This has always been true.

Iran’s silly drones are not a threat, but a nuke will become a threat, eventually.

“Eventually” might be soon.
View Quote

I'm not sure they can get at the deep stuff conventionally.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iran would try to focus on Israel. However the US would be involved in defending Israel officially or un officially. The same as we did in Gaza.

Unofficial Directly involved will become officially directly involved. As Iran will target US Assets in the act of hitting targets that are targeting them. When that happens.  The US will announce it as defending itself and its assets. When the truth is, we were involved all along. Unofficially
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

They’ll nuke Mecca first to get inside of their OODA loop.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not sure they can get at the deep stuff conventionally.
View Quote

I’d think some type of rods from god system could work for Israel?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

WAR has become WWE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAR has become WWE

I thought sleepy Joe told the “Don’t” in a stern voice?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#48]
While it is hard to guess at parallel development, Rod's from God are at least in practicality a couple years away.  Nothing today can economically launch them - Starship will be able to.  Then you will need a space station for storage - again, probably will require Starship.  Then you will need a practical terminal guidance system that can withstand reentry heats.  That is probably a bigger problem than we think - Rod's are a kinetic weapon - and our standard re-entry systems rely on slowing down the vessel, not allowing it to speed up.  At least the cost of the Tungsten is not really a problem, under $100k per 24k lb rod.  Where we get it from, bigger problem.  While we could mine it domestically, we simply don't.

The project was openly researched before - but dismissed due to the orbital costs.  Starship in theory will cost 2m to launch and 100-150 ton payload, and could hold 8-12 rods at this point.  So perhaps we will get it down to to under $200k incremental costs per rod.   Apparently cruise missles cost $3m, but the service does want to get that down to $300k.  So potentially, rods could be more cost effective.  Anyway, I am sure the Army is interested in Starship - and I can be fairly certain some pencil heads are working on that re-entry system.  That all said, it would take a constellation of space stations to get fast response globally.  But when you look at what we spend on various other major weapons programs - it is economically doable.  Take a B-21 at $700m per copy.
---
I did find a vast range of rod sizes while googling.  Some several times the size of the 24k rod, others the size of a broomstick.  A tungsten broomstick could weigh 50lbs.  Would not be a bunker buster - but could theoretically be an interesting tank killer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While it is hard to guess at parallel development, Rod's from God are at least in practicality a couple years away.  Nothing today can economically launch them - Starship will be able to.  Then you will need a space station for storage - again, probably will require Starship.  Then you will need a practical terminal guidance system that can withstand reentry heats.  That is probably a bigger problem than we think - Rod's are a kinetic weapon - and our standard re-entry systems rely on slowing down the vessel, not allowing it to speed up.  At least the cost of the Tungsten is not really a problem, under $100k per 24k lb rod.  Where we get it from, bigger problem.  While we could mine it domestically, we simply don't.

The project was openly researched before - but dismissed due to the orbital costs.  Starship in theory will cost 2m to launch and 100-150 ton payload, and could hold 8-12 rods at this point.  So perhaps we will get it down to to under $200k incremental costs per rod.   Apparently cruise missles cost $3m, but the service does want to get that down to $300k.  So potentially, rods could be more cost effective.  Anyway, I am sure the Army is interested in Starship - and I can be fairly certain some pencil heads are working on that re-entry system.  That all said, it would take a constellation of space stations to get fast response globally.  But when you look at what we spend on various other major weapons programs - it is economically doable.  Take a B-21 at $700m per copy.
View Quote

It would be a lot cheaper to simply eradicate the threat to begin with…
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#50]
In lieu of my original post, how long til a meaningful response by the IDF on Iran, everyone?
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top