User Panel

Page / 63
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watching it burn is gut wrenching. I don't believe anybody has been injured, and for that I am thankful, but to see an irreplaceable monument filled with historical treasures, a work of art both inside and out be destroyed is tragic. Even though they are just man made things that were destined to crumble at some point. It is sad that it's fate befell today.
View Quote
Being reported that most of the historic artefacts were saved.

Main structure is reported to have been saved and is safe.

There has been work ongoing on the roof of the building in the approximate location where the fire is reported to have started. Incident is being treated as an accidental fire at this point but a full investigation will no doubt be carried out to establish the cause if possible.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think they can admit it it's terrorism, even if it was.

That would be globally destabilizing.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think this was a ROPer event or even a construction accident; I think the Catholic Church set the fire so they could get the insurance money.
View Quote
The Church doesn’t own the cathedral dumbass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
excellent still a shame though. Always feels different when the original work isn’t there
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Excellent news. I hope it can be rebuilt at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't matter.

It was built over generations of craftsman, who honed their trade for one specific purpose through father to son.

It was constructed with old growth trees that don't exist anymore.

With mortar recipes that have been lost over time.

It held a thousand years of history, and had artifacts from the time of Jesus Christ.

This cannot, ever be rebuilt. It is a human achievement of the highest order, and our world will never have it back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter.

It was built over generations of craftsman, who honed their trade for one specific purpose through father to son.

It held a thousand years of history, and had artifacts from the time of Jesus Christ.

This cannot, ever be rebuilt. It is a human achievement of the highest order, and our world will never have it back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't matter.

Still...

Could have been much worse...
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think this was a ROPer event or even a construction accident; I think the Catholic Church set the fire so they could get the insurance money.
View Quote
Well, there it is.  The dumbest thing I'll likely see on the Internet this year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

excellent still a shame though. Always feels different when the original work isn't there
View Quote
I wonder how much was "original" after 850 years.

Not trolling, honest question.  It has to be somewhat like the "farmer with the same ax" story.

Clearly, from the photo posted earlier in the thread, the spire had been rebuilt at some point.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
excellent still a shame though. Always feels different when the original work isn’t there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It burnt down.

850 years of splendor and history.

That is the worst if it. It wasn't avoided.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, you might be asking: Why /not/ use planes or helicopters to fight the fire at Notre Dame? Let's talk about it! (1/n)...

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1117865058145427462.html
View Quote
Stop with the spamming, spam bot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

I hope it can be rebuilt in a way that respects its history
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not trolling, honest question.  It has to be somewhat like the "farmer with the same ax" story.

Clearly, from the photo posted earlier in the thread, the spire had been rebuilt at some point.
View Quote
Almost ALL of the stone work and roofing frame.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, actually.

There's a boom on building new Catholic churches, or replacing shitty boomer '60s piles of crap, with ones that look old world European. Some of the stuff for them comes from stuff boomers ripped out, but there's still skills to build good looking older style stuff.
View Quote
Sorry but the craftsmanship just isn't there. the skillsets have changed from hammer an chisel to CNC. And the glass made today cannot replicate 13th century stuff. Same with the lead used to fabricate those windows, tons of it.

My wife does stained glass and I do tile and stone.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't think they can admit it it's terrorism, even if it was.

That would be globally destabilizing.
View Quote
No matter how bad it is, the truth is always better in the long run.

The media and politicians are all too eager to cover up what doesn’t fit their preferred narrative.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"That's real retarded"
View Quote
Retarded indeed, only Reformed Catholics would engage in a fraud of that degree
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hell, I'm already about hated here - so I'll say it:

The French fought beside us in our own revolution.  They fought beside us in two world wars.  They gifted us the Statue of Liberty.

Today, I morn alongside my French brothers for what is lost.  Today is not the day for jokes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sad if it was arson.  Perhaps this will wake up the cheese eating surrender monkeys to the dangers of those who would set such a fire.

The French fought beside us in our own revolution.  They fought beside us in two world wars.  They gifted us the Statue of Liberty.

Today, I morn alongside my French brothers for what is lost.  Today is not the day for jokes.
This.

The damned chilling thing about it is, I remember 9/11 being a beautiful blue bird day here. Today is damn near identical.

So sad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
france24.com is ignoring the recent history of attacks on Catholic churches in France. Stating fairly flatly that "All of this speculation is completely baseless."

Uh huh. I mean it will probably end up having been accidental. But maybe not. All avenues of investigation should be pursued.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good! I hope the muzzies did it and a holy war starts... The French (for all the weirdness sometimes) are our allies and we should back them up.

Fuck it, just send that one SAS dude from Kenya to sort the fuckers out.

In the end, it’s going to be a construction accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy I worked with a few years back is in Paris right now, and posted some pictures. He says the French people are VERY ANGRY. Talk of it being arson, etc.

I'm not sure we have any solid news of that yet, but he has gotten as close as he can to the cathedral, and that's what he's hearing from the French people there.
Good! I hope the muzzies did it and a holy war starts... The French (for all the weirdness sometimes) are our allies and we should back them up.

Fuck it, just send that one SAS dude from Kenya to sort the fuckers out.

In the end, it’s going to be a construction accident.
We'll see. While it wouldn't surprise me if it were arson by someone of a particular peaceful religion, if it WAS, I think it will galvanize the native populations (maybe not entirely, but a majority) against the mass migration of people of that particular peaceful religion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
10?

LOL

It took 200 years the first time...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It took them 2 years just to put up the scaffolding. This thing is going to take 10 more years to rebuild.
10?

LOL

It took 200 years the first time...
Some have been under construction since the 1300s. It will take more than 10 years to start this job.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319551/flw_quote_jpg-913657.JPG

View Quote
Not in clown world.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

Is it preferable to most on this site that this is a ROP job vs a simple construction accident that caused this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

Is it preferable to most on this site that this is a ROP job vs a simple construction accident that caused this?
It's preferable that the MSM and various virtue-signalling obsessed dingbats pull their heads out of their asses.

That incident was three years ago - now go look up when those arrested were sentenced.

Look at all of the images and video from Paris of people laughing and joking while posing with the fire in background - and at who is doing the celebrating.

There is plenty of reason to think that there is an elevated chance of arson being involved.   Reflexive PC bullshit is a capitulation, and plenty of us are not going to put up with it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4OX35YWsAAGHkm.jpg
View Quote
I need twitter so I can send back "Make Constantinople Great Again".
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

Is it preferable to you that the French government rule this an accident before an investigation even takes place?
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

excellent still a shame though. Always feels different when the original work isn't there

I’d be interested to know as well the stained glass is probably all original
[#30]
Quoted:
A guy I worked with a few years back is in Paris right now, and posted some pictures. He says the French people are VERY ANGRY. Talk of it being arson, etc.

I'm not sure we have any solid news of that yet, but he has gotten as close as he can to the cathedral, and that's what he's hearing from the French people there.
View Quote
They SHOULD be very angry, no matter the cause.   And if it should come to light that "foreigners" of a certain religion that's not friendly toward any other religion are responsible, this could...AND SHOULD...be the spark that lights the fire of Crusades II.

If islamists were to torch one of the greatest churches of Christianity,  yes, that'd be more than sufficient reason to go to war.

Conversely,  if christians were to attack Mecca,  the islamists would be fully justified in starting an open war as well.

I prefer peace.   But some insults and some acts of aggression are justification for going to war.    Premeditated arson of a major religious monument and world landmark for reasons of religious beliefs would qualify.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is difficult for many to accept something tragic as senseless and random, there's often a degree of comfort that an act (even something really horrific) was the planned work of someone, it's more tangible, and easier to steer emotion toward revenge.

If it was lightning, many would be left with "why" and have no acceptable answer.

If it was some asshole executing agenda, that's easily understood, rationalized, and the reactions all come from an existing catalog.

It's that much more senseless if some tool was soldering pipe and just burned down one of the most important buildings in the history of buildings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

It is difficult for many to accept something tragic as senseless and random, there's often a degree of comfort that an act (even something really horrific) was the planned work of someone, it's more tangible, and easier to steer emotion toward revenge.

If it was lightning, many would be left with "why" and have no acceptable answer.

If it was some asshole executing agenda, that's easily understood, rationalized, and the reactions all come from an existing catalog.

It's that much more senseless if some tool was soldering pipe and just burned down one of the most important buildings in the history of buildings.
Very nice summation.

I was thinking about my own feelings on this tragedy.  This helps.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seriously?  Notre Dame is owned by the French government? I guess that explains why Macron just tweeted that France will rebuild it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is plenty of reason to think that there is an elevated chance of arson being involved.   Reflexive PC bullshit is a capitulation, and plenty of us are not going to put up with it anymore.
View Quote
Yup, done with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sorry but the craftsmanship just isn't there. the skillsets have changed from hammer an chisel to CNC. And the glass made today cannot replicate 13th century stuff. Same with the lead used to fabricate those windows, tons of it.

View Quote
Very true.  I doubt there is anyone that knows how to build any of that today.  I fear they will rebuild it with steel and modern materials.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in clown world.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233511/1555358641549_png-913660.JPG
What the fuck does that mean? Other than security and fire supression, it should not be changed. Who does he think he is?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted Probably Back on Page 4 and quite a few pages since then:
You guys are idiots for suggesting that a mosque will be built there
View All Quotes
A short time later...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
This right here. It’s not just about “modern day France” but the historical laboratory for all of western civilization.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very true.  I doubt there is anyone that knows how to build any of that today.  I fear they will rebuild it with steel and modern materials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it will be done in a manner consistent with a DIVERSE nation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The war started 18 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is how wars start.

I pray that it was an accidental cause.
The war started 18 years ago.
They started it in 79
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in clown world.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233511/1555358641549_png-913660.JPG
What the fuck is that fucking bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's preferable that the MSM and various virtue-signalling obsessed dingbats pull their heads out of their asses.

That incident was three years ago - now go look up when those arrested were sentenced.

Look at all of the images and video from Paris of people laughing and joking while posing with the fire in background - and at who is doing the celebrating.

View Quote
Hear, hear.

The GWOT is still very much on. Our Western/Christan values aren't allowing us to win. Meanwhile, ISIS supporters walk next to or respond to tragedies, that befall us, with jubilation. It's a shame and I wish we were more prepared for violence of action on, say, September 12, 2001. Modern terrorists smile for the camera with impunity. It's a crying shame we always assume the worst is caused by the muslim.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#46]
POS macron.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#47]
If the main stone structures are standing, it can be rebuilt.  A shocking number of historic buildings in Europe have been restored after damage, given the European propensity for fighting amongst themselves.

Much has been lost and cannot be recreated in its true form, such as ancient glasswork.  But, the stonework is the main concern, even if the adornment is new.

It will take decades to complete, though.  It will be an engineering marvel to pull it off.  Reinforcing the structure enough to even work will be difficult, and then rebuilding a supporting framework.  The interior may have to be carved out and a steel skeleton put in... then covered in new stone/plaster.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Seriously?  Notre Dame is owned by the French government? I guess that explains why Macron just tweeted that France will rebuild it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's correct.

Under a 1905 law, Notre-Dame de Paris is among seventy churches in Paris built before that year that are owned by the French State. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purpose in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, security, heating and cleaning, and assuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French State
So the state owns it but doesn't support it or anything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A short time later...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
A short time later...

Might as well let the whole thing burn to the ground now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Drone view;

Attachment Attached File
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top