BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read some stuff on google,  listen to your body,  and eat like its your fucking job.  

If in doubt, ask rich piana what to do.

He'll tell you to eat like its your fucking job.  

Since january ive lost 12 inches on my waist,  2 shirt sizes, 60 pounds, and making gains constantly. Got up to a 185x6 on bench last night and 405x4 deadlift as part of my normal workout.  Pretty good for 7 months in.

My lifting is a mix of the old school pyramid method and 531

I eat 8 times a day,  the same stuff every day.
View Quote
I sincerely hope you aren't actually looking to Rich Piana for advice on anything, besides how to be retard and where to get PMMA injections in Mexico.

Seriously, that glob of goo is a tool bag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I must be in the wrong forum. Where can I find the AK section.
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/4_AK_47.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I sincerely hope you aren't actually looking to Rich Piana for advice on anything, besides how to be retard and where to get PMMA injections in Mexico.

View Quote
I had to bing image search "Rich Piana".

Can that dude even wipe his own ass?

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Most any properly designed beginner routine will yield the greatest strength gains in the shortest time, while being both quick to perform and needing only basic equipment. You don't need anything but the core compound lifts with maybe light supplementary lifts for quite awhile, don't buy into any bullshit telling you that you need their proprietary blend of secret exercises. You don't. When I was a beginner I used Strong Lifts and Fierce 5 Novice, but starting strength or really any other reputable program will work. They're all 5X5ish with mostly core compound lifts, and will work roughly interchangeably. Follow them as designed, to a T, and don't add a bunch of dumbass curls or whatever else. They're designed the way they are for a reason, and their designers know more than you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
5x5 then once plateaued 5,3,1.

Its important to make sure you get plenty of sleep along with good diet. You should get results quickly. But again, sleep and diet are very important.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
surely you jest
View Quote
Have you ever been around a farm, especially one that makes hay?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, quite a few here are telling OP to do intermediate programs, and I'm not sure why. If he does them as designed he'll be in the gym significantly longer while progressing slower. Beginning programs aren't because you're a pussy and can't handle cool kid lifts, beginner programs are designed to get OP up to speed with maximized strength gains in minimal time. PHUL or any other intermediate program would be great for him in a year or so once he's got all his beginner gains out, but until then a basic full body 3x/wk 5X5ish workout is best. And no he doesn't need a bro-split, unless he wants to be in the gym even more and progress even slower. Those are good for advanced lifters, or those on gear, but everyone else is doing themselves a disservice with them. Just because they work doesn't mean they're optimal. God damnit I hate GD nutrition and fitness threads. Consider how the posters of GD look when considering their fitness advice...and yes I realize the irony of also posting in a GD fitness thread when typing that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
5x5 then once plateaued 5,3,1.

Its important to make sure you get plenty of sleep along with good diet. You should get results quickly. But again, sleep and diet are very important.
View Quote
This is important. Lifting, and what program you're on, is only part of the equation. Diet and rest are as, if not more, important. This only becomes more true as you progress.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you ever been around a farm, especially one that makes hay?
View Quote
Yeah, that does not equal a 415 bench the first time you step foot in a gym.

I grew up doing manual labor too, my 'core' is much stronger than most because of this. If he posted that he pulled 415 (or even more depending on his size) on deadlift, that would be reasonable to believe. 415 bench press is extremely impressive, even for someone that's been lifting for years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since its not muscle tissue, could go either way. He's definitely got the droopy triceps on lock tho.

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, that does not equal a 415 bench the first time you step foot in a gym.

I grew up doing manual labor too, my 'core' is much stronger than most because of this. If he posted that he pulled 415 (or even more depending on his size) on deadlift, that would be reasonable to believe. 415 bench press is extremely impressive, even for someone that's been lifting for years.
View Quote
What about shoveling cow shit in addition to lifting hay bales, maybe that would build the strength to make the lift?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What about shoveling cow shit in addition to lifting hay bales, maybe that would build the strength to make the lift?
View Quote
Maybe so, how big are the cow shits?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since its not muscle tissue, could go either way. He's definitely got the droopy triceps on lock tho.

http://i.imgur.com/2BRleML.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah,.. synthol will do that
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was that 4 plates on each side?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym.  It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

Most guys I've known that worked out in a gym have all their muscle turn to fat when they stop lifting.

You need to find some where you can lift hay bails.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK.  We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

When I went to college, one of my friends remarked about how strong I was and he wanted to test my strength.

He took me to the college gym and I got up to a 415 bench...I think that was 4 plates lol...but I didn't care about those numbers.
I'm not entirely sure...he kept putting on plates after I benched.  There was about 4 plates on each side....sorry, not sure what they weighed.

Not as much as my that exercise where you pick the bar up off the ground.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure...he kept putting on plates after I benched.  There was about 4 plates on each side....sorry, not sure what they weighed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym.  It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

Most guys I've known that worked out in a gym have all their muscle turn to fat when they stop lifting.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK.  We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

When I went to college, one of my friends remarked about how strong I was and he wanted to test my strength.

He took me to the college gym and I got up to a 415 bench...I think that was 4 plates lol...but I didn't care about those numbers.

#FarmStrong
#405@140Bodyweight
#WhatYouDidThere,ISeentIt

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
What in the actual fuck?

Is that the fake shit that gets injected under the skin?

PMMA or synthol or whatever it is called?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit one time I was at the gym and a young man maybe in his 20s come in with a member. He is dirty yet and wearing clothing from work etc. they go to the bench and screw around a bit and we see farm kid benching 5 45s on each side like 5-6 reps. Gets up. Shakes hands exchanged money and left. The story turned out that the gym rat didn't think the farm kid was "strong" because he didn't know how much he could bench. Apparently that was his first time benching too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What in the actual fuck?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What in the actual fuck?

They're both an intra-muscular injection. In his case he probably uses both. Dude had a good physique a few years back, but took it too far and now looks like a giant bag of ass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
5x5
View Quote
This is good plus I would add my sort of basic goto is the bear complex. Clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press, back to the ground. Do that like 7 times with minimal rest. You can play with the weight and see what works for you. I just did it last night as I was at a conference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Whatever program you decide on, start with really light weights and advance to whatever your current strength level is over a week or two. I had been out of lifting for 3 years at one point and jumped back in the squat rack one day with similar weight I had used to be able to do and busted out a quick 3×10. Holy fuck, the next day I could barely walk, not even sure how I got dressed. I fought through it and ended up getting stronger than I ever had been, but I was close to injury at the start most likely
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No shit one time I was at the gym and a young man maybe in his 20s come in with a member. He is dirty yet and wearing clothing from work. Dirty etc. they go to the bench and screw around a bit and we see farm kid benching 5 45s on each side like 5-6 reps. Gets up. Shakes hands exchanged money and left. The story turned out that the gym rat didn't think the farm kid was "strong" because he didn't know how much he could bench. Apparently that was his first time benching too.
View Quote
Pretty common, farm strength is the best strength.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
crossfit

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Use 5/3/1 for your four main lifts.

Bench Day

5/3/1 Bench Press

Incline dumbbell press 4 sets of 7

Weighted dips 4 sets of 10

Some sort of chest press on the cybex machine 4x10

Cable Chest Fly 4 sets of 10

Squat Day

5/3/1 squat

Back Squat 4x10

leg extensions 4x10

leg curls 4x10

Any type of abdominal exercise 4x12

Shoulder Day

5/3/1 military press

4x10 seated shoulder press

4x10 upright row

4x10 rear deltoid raise

4x10 front deltoid raise

Back day

5/3/1 deadlift

4x10 deadlift

4x10 weighted pull ups

4x10 bent over barbell rows

4x12 krock rows
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys!  A lot of great information here.  So far the 5x5 routine seems to be the most basic program.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Starting strength
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I did 5x5 for 2 years.  The first year was depressing and I barely increased my weight on anything.  I even stopped doing military presses because I'd just blow out my front delt.  Second year, I devoted all my time to researching diet and form.  As soon as I started eating big and got my form down, my #s started going up.  It was really great to actually see my work pay off.  Eating clean for 3500 calories a day is a shitload of food.  But that's what really made it all work.  I increased my bench press 80 lbs this year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!  A lot of great information here.  So far the 5x5 routine seems to be the most basic program.
View Quote
In case it wasn't made perfectly clear, Stronglifts 5X5 is an app for your smartphone.

You download the app and it keeps track of how much to lift for each exercise.

in fact, for a guy like me, it shows a little picture of what weight plates to put on the bar.

Then the next time you do the exercise, it automatically adds 5 pounds.  

Easy peasy.

There are videos on their website too.

Call me a tin foil hat paranoid, but this time with this new phone, I decided not to download any apps.

Instead I went into MS Word and typed up a little booklet to keep track of my lifts/exercises.

Then I had office depot spiral bind it for me.

Luckily, with my last smart phone I had uploaded screen caps to Facebook and or photobucket...so I now have an idea where I need to pick up with my homemade booklet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym. It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK. We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

View Quote
And you're 140 lbs, don't forget that part.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#29]
SS & 5x5 are both very well regarded programs.

Personally I just do 10 sets/wk x big 6, plus some accessory lifts like farmers carry and landmine/dumbell/cables, listen to my body as far as how many sets and reps on a given day, mostly based on how my spine and elbows feel.

My joints can't handle that 5/3/1 stuff anymore, I need more volume to make gains or I end up hurting all the time.

You really do need to do all of the big six lifts though, most guys don't row enough.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#30]
do lots of isolation exercises like wrist curls

500 reps of 5 lb wrist curls to bring out that definition
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Those of you who need more volume than what 5-3-1 provides...have you tried the "Boring But Big" variation?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Starting strength has not been said enough times.

Starting strength.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I just restarted the 5x5 last night.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In case it wasn't made perfectly clear, Stronglifts 5X5 is an app for your smartphone.

in fact, for a guy like me, it shows a little picture of what weight plates to put on the bar.

Easy peasy.

Call me a tin foil hat paranoid, but this time with this new phone, I decided not to download any apps.

Instead I went into MS Word and typed up a little booklet to keep track of my lifts/exercises.

Luckily, with my last smart phone I had uploaded screen caps to Facebook and or photobucket...so I now have an idea where I need to pick up with my homemade booklet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy.

The Stronglifts app was super useful and easy to use. There are other apps you can put your own routine into and they work well (I use Strong), but for absolute ease of use and simplicity the app Stronglifts released is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#35]
the fuck does 5x5 and 5-3-1 even mean?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I wasted years on P90X and Insanity.

Watched this documentary I Want To Look Like That Guy

and started doing MaxOT.

Way less over lifting injuries, steady results and it's simple to follow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's real retarded, sir.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I turn to GD for... I laughed so hard I almost fell off the Stairmaster!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym. It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK. We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

Well, 142 but we farm boys don't care about a pound here or there...
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I like this guys channel and what he does and how he goes about it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/strengthcamp
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Starting Strength is good, or you can try 5x5. I use 5x5 because it is simple and quick, and have seen real improvements in strength over the last six months. It's a good basic workout.

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
View Quote
I like this, I'm used to doing this workout from football. The only problem is I can't bench press by myself. Anyone have suggestions for that?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Evolution of the Lifting Man
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wasted years on P90X and Insanity.

Watched this documentary I Want To Look Like That Guy

and started doing MaxOT.

Way less over lifting injuries, steady results and it's simple to follow.
View Quote
You can watch the full hour and 23 minute long documentary:

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

And are leg extension bad to do?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
The squat rack is where you need to do it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This.

And are leg extension bad to do?
View Quote
It is sets and reps.  So 5x5 would be five sets of five reps each, increasing in weight as you go until you last set is the heaviest you can do at 5 reps.  5-3-1 would be the same but the weight is increasing so that the second set is the best you can do at 3 reps, and the third set is your one-rep max.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What is the most basic routine that gets results?
View Quote

Squat, dead lift and bench press.  Use enough weight that you'll struggle/fail at 8-12 reps.

Take two days off, get eight hours of sleep a night, eat lots of protein and fiber.

Do it again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like this, I'm used to doing this workout from football. The only problem is I can't bench press by myself. Anyone have suggestions for that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Starting Strength is good, or you can try 5x5. I use 5x5 because it is simple and quick, and have seen real improvements in strength over the last six months. It's a good basic workout.

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
Stop being weak.

Why can't you bench by yourself?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is sets and reps.  So 5x5 would be five sets of five reps each, increasing in weight as you go until you last set is the heaviest you can do at 5 reps.  5-3-1 would be the same but the weight is increasing so that the second set is the best you can do at 3 reps, and the third set is your one-rep max.  
View Quote
No. You are wrong.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Stronglifts5X5 app screen looks like this on one workout day:

Then on the next work out day it looks like this:

So once you complete one set of 5 reps, you press on the circle.  It turns to a red color with a number 5 in white.

It also starts a timer at 90 seconds.

When the timer goes off you do the next set of 5 reps.

You do 5 sets of each exercise. (with the exception being the dead lift)

Then you move onto the next exercise.

A day or two later when you return to the same work out, the app adds 5 pounds to that exercise.

EDIT:  throughout the entire 5 sets on that day, the amount of weight on the bar stays the same.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top