View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
The remake, not the original with the stupid capes and robot dog and shit lol

What do you have against dags?

What do you have against capes!
Mr. Fischoeder loves the way the fog feels under his cape!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The original BG on television back in the 70's was the most expensive TV show ever.  You can buy the 3 hour pilot on DVD or Blu Ray and it was an amazing time to be in your early teens and have a show that came on each Sunday that took you to another world.  The 70's was a great time for TV and the Battle of the Network Stars, Love Boat and BG had nips pointing way up high.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would start with the miniseries. That gives you a good idea what you're in for.

I think I look at the original series with rose colored glasses. I wonder if I rewatched it if I would like it as much as I did when I was a kid.

The ending of the rebooted series is pretty insane, in many ways it's just...

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

This.  Except I was not an OG fan and found the original series not for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Beets.... bears............... .  Battlestar Galactica
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've always thought that picture is cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've always thought that picture is cool

Same here
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The one thing I can wholeheartedly endorse from the rebooted series is the soundtrack.

Storming New Caprica (Live)

I've yet to find a tune that seems better for slaughtering every sentient entity and machine in a planetary radius.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
2.5 years of the best Sci-fi TV ever.  

2 years of where are they going?  

2 episodes of what the f#ck? and AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The one thing I can wholeheartedly endorse from the rebooted series is the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9GfhGwE6NM

I've yet to find a tune that seems better for slaughtering every sentient entity and machine in a planetary radius.
View Quote

Tag
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Watch the whole series, and enjoy it, just when you get to the series finale, turn it off before the last five minutes.

You’ll thank me later
View Quote

Actually, it would be best to just quit after they get off the shit mud planet and save some time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I forgot to add. Once you get addicted to Battlestar, look up Blood & Chrome. It's Adama's backstory. Also see if you can track down Caprica. Some people hated it, but i think it did a good job exposing the Cylon's origins.
View Quote

x2; very interesting!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah, start back in the 80's...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I forgot to add. Once you get addicted to Battlestar, look up Blood & Chrome. It's Adama's backstory. Also see if you can track down Caprica. Some people hated it, but i think it did a good job exposing the Cylon's origins.
View Quote

Links or ways to gain access?...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anything with Tricia Helfer in a tight dress is a win.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It did not hold up at all... but when you're a 9 yr old and there's a tv show  like Galactica,  FUCK YEAH!!!

New Galactica made a lot more sense in every way... Skin Job cylon females were hot.   Whatever Starbuck was, new Starbuck was hot...  

I  have a question for fans of new BSG: could raiders and centurions tell what Starbuck was???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OG BG

Was awesome for a 9yr old in the 70s.

But it was painfully shitty when you actually watch it now. Literally bad.

It did not hold up at all... but when you're a 9 yr old and there's a tv show  like Galactica,  FUCK YEAH!!!

New Galactica made a lot more sense in every way... Skin Job cylon females were hot.   Whatever Starbuck was, new Starbuck was hot...  

I  have a question for fans of new BSG: could raiders and centurions tell what Starbuck was???

Anyone got an idea what she was?...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Anyone got an idea what she was?...
View Quote

Overrated
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Galactica 80.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the best parts of the series.

Minor spoilers.

BSG: The Adama Maneuver (HD)
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go back and watch the OG Battlestar Galactica from the very beginning. Then watch the remake BSG from the very beginning.
View Quote

Boom. This.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]
The remake series lost me when half the characters turned out to be cylons   It was just some boring soap opera after that
The original series kicked ass AT THE TIME which can’t be said for the remake
Oh, and don’t forget Battlestar galactica  ‘80.   That was truly stupid
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That was so cool back then.  Anyone else remember watching the original movie when it was broadcast...and Carter interrupting it?  I was one pissed kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it does not have disco hair... it's not Battlestar Galactica.
https://www.eightieskids.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/10-1.jpg

That was so cool back then.  Anyone else remember watching the original movie when it was broadcast...and Carter interrupting it?  I was one pissed kid.

Yes it was.  And democrats ruin everything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Minor spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evodPpqb9H4
View Quote

Kinda reminds me of...

Starship | SN15 | Flight Test Recap

If war breaks out with China in a few years we could see a Starship pulling a similar maneuver, launching missiles and/or drones then smashing headlong into a high value target. Detonating a nuclear weapon on impact.

I wonder how the people here would feel about Elon Musk if he was able to pull something like that off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I only watched the first couple episodes of Caprica and then dropped it for some reason.  Is it worth it?  Does it end cleanly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only watched the first couple episodes of Caprica and then dropped it for some reason.  Is it worth it?  Does it end cleanly?

I watched Season 1 and 2, it was a painful teeny-bopper series to get through ever episode.  It took months a little at a time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what happens when the production team (writers & producers, in particular) don't think the series is going to last more than 2-3 seasons.  They're not ready for an extended story arc and the ending, when it comes, winds up with a lot of WTF.

Compare to, say, Babylon 5. Love it or hate it, but with a very few exceptions it was self-consistent and continuous from first episode to last.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is what happens when the production team (writers & producers, in particular) don't think the series is going to last more than 2-3 seasons.  They're not ready for an extended story arc and the ending, when it comes, winds up with a lot of WTF.

Compare to, say, Babylon 5. Love it or hate it, but with a very few exceptions it was self-consistent and continuous from first episode to last.
View Quote

Babylon 5 The long night ending
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Watch the movie then seasons 1-3. Stop there and just imagine how it'll turn out instead of watching season 4. First 2 seasons are pretty great, season 3 is where it starts to be a let down but season 4 it just goes into the wtf is happening category.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Do not start with OG BSG.

It will give you premises that aren't in 2000's BSG.

Start with miniseries and 4 year run.

OG BSG was off it's time, do  not correlate with 00 BSG.

And do not watch Galactica 1980, it's like the star wars holiday special.....

ETA: If you've seen 70's BSG, then start with Blood and Chrome.  Merges old into new timeline.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
0. Battlestar Galactica   the original series and or TV movies (1978-1980)
1. Battlestar Galactica (2003) - Mini-Series
2. Battlestar Galactica - Season 1, Episodes 1-13
3. Battlestar Galactica - Season 2, Episodes 1-20
4. Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance - 10 Webisodes
5. Battlestar Galactica - Season 3, Episodes 1-20
6. Battlestar Galactica: Razor Flashbacks - 7 Webisodes
7. Battlestar Galactica: Razor - TV Movie
8. Battlestar Galactica - Season 4, Episodes 1-11
9. Battlestar Galactica: The Face of the Enemy - 10 Webisodes
10. Battlestar Galactica - Season 4, Episodes 12-15
11. Battlestar Galactica: The Plan - TV Movie
12. Battlestar Galactica - Season 4, Episodes 16-20
13. Caprica - Season 1, Episodes 1-18
14. Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - 10 Webisodes
View Quote
After you watch this, I suggest you find a whole new series to watch....

After that it takes a serious dive and the only real similarities are a few names of the some of the Colonial Fleet and some of their enemies..  JMHO...
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#36]
One thing I always wondered is that if each battlestar could only carry about 80 vipers, how in the heck did they repair and maintain all of those squadrons battle after battle with thousands of cylon raiders? They'd have been crushed after one or two engagements at best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 8mmDale:
Anything with Tricia Helfer in a tight dress is a win.
View Quote

Yes please.

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One thing I always wondered is that if each battlestar could only carry about 80 vipers, how in the heck did they repair and maintain all of those squadrons battle after battle with thousands of cylon raiders? They'd have been crushed after one or two engagements at best.
View Quote

Pegasus had extensive automated onboard factory facilities that could manufacture new vipers from raw materials. As soon as they met up, Pegasus started supplying replacement parts for Galactica. Before they met up Galactica was just barely scraping by.

Can't remember if this is something they addressed in the original series, probably not.

Pegasus's capabilities were incredible. Even the United Federation of Planets probably would have considered a Mercury Class Battlestar to be overkill for deep space exploration missions. But if it didn't have those onboard factories it would have been impossible to maintain squadrons of vipers so far away from any colonial logistics support.

Battlestar Galactica: Mercury Class Battlestar - Ship Breakdown
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don’t really know anything about it, I saw online that I should start with the episode “33” but the episode started with a recap so that can’t be right.
View Quote

Watch the Miniseries, then the first four seasons of the show. Don’t watch any of season 5 and invent your own head canon for how the series ends….you’ll enjoy the show a lot more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  In a Director’s commentary, Ronald Moore thought the series was going to end when they found the dead Earth, then it got renewed again…
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#41]
The problem with Caprica is that you already know how it all ends and how pointless it is to get attached to any character in it because of that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Watch the movie then seasons 1-3. Stop there and just imagine how it'll turn out instead of watching season 4. First 2 seasons are pretty great, season 3 is where it starts to be a let down but season 4 it just goes into the wtf is happening category.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9GfhGwE6NM

View Quote

The originals theme by John Williams is epic.

Battlestar Galactica Opening Theme from 1978
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Correct.  In a Director's commentary, Ronald Moore thought the series was going to end when they found the dead Earth, then it got renewed again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  In a Director's commentary, Ronald Moore thought the series was going to end when they found the dead Earth, then it got renewed again

IIRC, there was also an industry-wide writer's strike that screwed things up as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#45]
IMHO, the mini-series has the best space combat footage content ever put to film.

"33" is great. There are some other episodes that are really good, but for me nothing quite as good as that, except maybe the one mentioned on page 1 where Galactica does a series of hyperspace jumps.

AFAIK, some of the showrunners previously had worked on ST:TNG.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IMHO, the mini-series has the best space combat footage content ever put to film.

"33" is great. There are some other episodes that are really good, but for me nothing quite as good as that, except maybe the one mentioned on page 1 where Galactica does a series of hyperspace jumps.

AFAIK, some of the showrunners previously had worked on ST:TNG.
View Quote

Correct. Ronald Moore, the executive producer, was a writer and producer for ST:TNG.  
They sneak ST Easter eggs onto BSG here and there.  For example, check out the compartment number of the room where the Final Four held their meetings, 1701D.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Start with the Miniseries part 1 and 2 then "33"
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#48]
2003 Katee Sackhoff
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Minor spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evodPpqb9H4
View Quote
When all else fails, ramming speed

extreme spoilers

Battlestar Galactica | Rallying The Troops

Battlestar Galactica | Battle of The Colony

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pegasus had extensive automated onboard factory facilities that could manufacture new vipers from raw materials. As soon as they met up, Pegasus started supplying replacement parts for Galactica. Before they met up Galactica was just barely scraping by.

Can't remember if this is something they addressed in the original series, probably not.

Pegasus's capabilities were incredible. Even the United Federation of Planets probably would have considered a Mercury Class Battlestar to be overkill for deep space exploration missions. But if it didn't have those onboard factories it would have been impossible to maintain squadrons of vipers so far away from any colonial logistics support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE8DwUGdKRM
View Quote

Having a fighter production line on a carrier never made any sense to me. Great, you can replace lost hardware near indefinitely, but so what? You're not replacing pilots on that time scale, so what difference does it make?

Besides, battlestars are huge. Larger then a Nimitz, and those can embark around 80 aircraft all much larger then vipers and raptors. Just bring more vipers. If they've got room for a production line they've got the space for storage, even if they're in parts and need assembly.

Even the idea of mining raw materials is nuts; either the warship is lugging around mining equipment/ships or a support mining vessel is normally attached to it. If that's the case, then just do unreps of fresh birds from the same support vessel.

It only makes sense if the Battlestar can roll into a star system, wreck house then adeploy von Neumann level drones that can bootstrap up to full industrial capacity to replace losses, then move on. But given the colonials experience with the Cylons you would think that'd be a no-no.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top