[#3]
Babbel
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Typo that was never fixed. Supposed to be "Brl"
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Since before any of us were born.

Oil is priced by the bbl. It isn't that big of a stretch to be honest with ya.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Never understood that one. When I first started reading forums I assumed it meant bull barrel. No idea why bbl caught on as the abbreviation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It is also 42 US gallons.

1 BBL=42 US Gallons

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I mean, it's somewhat sensible to call it that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never understood that one. When I first started reading forums I assumed it meant bull barrel. No idea why bbl caught on as the abbreviation.
View Quote
Funny, I though the same thing, but I wouldn't have admitted it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]
4 bbl carb baby.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I thought it meant "bull barrel."
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Because an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Shthnd 4 bible bbl ??????????????
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I was told it came from oil barrels. Carbs use the same abbreviation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure.
View Quote

lb is derived from Latin. I expect oz is too, though I don't know.

Latin was the language of science when it started to get standardized 400 odd years ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No idea why bbl caught on as the abbreviation.
View Quote

"BBL" was used as the abbreviation for the unit of measurement "barrel" - as in a barrel of whiskey/wine/oil/etc. - since at least the 1800s.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"BBL" was used as the abbreviation for the unit of measurement "barrel" - as in a barrel of whiskey/wine/oil/etc. - since at least the 1800s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No idea why bbl caught on as the abbreviation.

Okay, but why?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#20]
bbl makes way more sense than lb for pound
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Old timey abbreviations were often more about distinguishing one from another than making any specific sense in their own.

My guess is bl was already used.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Derived from libra, Latin for pound weight. You can disagree with it, but there's a clear historical trail for why it exists.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
It comes from Blue Barrel , the color of oil barrels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]
In the early 1860's, when oil production began, there was no standard container for oil, so oil and petroleum products were stored and transported in barrels of all different shapes and sizes (beer barrels, fish barrels, molasses barrels, turpentine barrels, etc.). By the early 1870's, the 42-gallon barrel had been adopted as the standard for oil trade. This was 2 gallons per barrel more than the 40-gallon standard used by many other industries at the time. The extra 2 gallons was to allow for evaporation and leaking during tranport (most barrels were made of wood). Standard Oil began manufacturing 42 gallon barrels that were blue to be used for transporting petroleum. The use of a blue barrel, abbreviated "bbl," guaranteed a buyer that this was a 42-gallon barrel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Okay, but why?
View Quote

Does it matter?  It was and is the abbreviation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Old timey abbreviations were often more about distinguishing one from another than making any specific sense in their own.

View Quote

The weird thing is that in a gun context, it's just a noun. Not a unit of measurement like a barrel of oil or other liquid would be, where you use shorthand on ledgers and such. It's not like we use sst for gunstocks, or gp for the grip, or st for the sights. Why did the barrel end up being something routinely shortened?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, but why?

It matters inasmuch as it's an interesting conversation to have. You're welcome to not participate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Okay, but why?
View Quote

No idea. When I've tried looking it up in the past, most sources seem to say, "we don't really know why they did that, but they did".

The most popular false etymology is that it stands for "blue barrel" in reference to Standard Oil's barrels, but the historical usage well predates the existence of such.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It comes from Blue Barrel , the color of oil barrels.
View Quote

It predates the standardized oil barrel and modern oil industry, the former weren't all blue, barrels used in other industries were similarly abbreviated, and that would make its use for gun barrels nonsensical.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Blue Barrel (BBL)
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In the early 1860's, when oil production began, there was no standard container for oil, so oil and petroleum products were stored and transported in barrels of all different shapes and sizes (beer barrels, fish barrels, molasses barrels, turpentine barrels, etc.). By the early 1870's, the 42-gallon barrel had been adopted as the standard for oil trade. This was 2 gallons per barrel more than the 40-gallon standard used by many other industries at the time. The extra 2 gallons was to allow for evaporation and leaking during tranport (most barrels were made of wood). Standard Oil began manufacturing 42 gallon barrels that were blue to be used for transporting petroleum. The use of a blue barrel, abbreviated "bbl," guaranteed a buyer that this was a 42-gallon barrel.

The "bbl" abbreviation dates to at least the revolutionary war / Napoleonic eras.

Your unattributed copy and paste is nonsense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a false folk etymology.

Standard Oil was founded in 1870. "BBL" has been noted in records well before that - I found one source mention a 1764 document using "bbl" to denote barrels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It matters inasmuch as it's an interesting conversation to have. You're welcome to not participate.
View Quote

Ahhh, but I am participating, and offered a response.  So, what DOES it matter? Participate, please.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The weird thing is that in a gun context, it's just a noun. Not a unit of measurement like a barrel of oil or other liquid would be, where you use shorthand on ledgers and such. It's not like we use sst for gunstocks, or gp for the grip, or st for the sights. Why did the barrel end up being something routinely shortened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guessing here, but probably the same reason we say "dot mil" and such due to the pervasiveness of the internet.

The barrel was ubiquitous in everyday life, and "bbl" was a common shorthand universally just read as "barrel."

Things have a way of sticking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Standard Oil was founded in 1870. "BBL" has been noted in records well before that - I found one source mention a 1764 document using "bbl" to denote barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking into this myself, I believe I found the site you found.

http://www.natemaas.com/2011/01/correction-why-bbl-is-not-abbreviation.html

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The "bbl" abbreviation dates to at least the revolutionary war / Napoleonic eras.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please site an example of bbl used prior to 1872.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ahhh, but I am participating, and offered a response.  So, what DOES it matter? Participate, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's something that people find interesting. That's sufficient for people to talk about it. It doesn't need to matter beyond that threshold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just so happens, I just did above.

Please site a logical reason why a society that read "bbl" as "blue barrel" and applied it only to an oil context would adopt the abbreviation for gun barrel.

But go ahead and demand I provide proof while you just repeat unfounded claims.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Looking into this myself, I believe I found the site you found.

http://www.natemaas.com/2011/01/correction-why-bbl-is-not-abbreviation.html
View Quote

Yep, other things I had read were only vague "early 1800s" without a hard date, but would mention that the usage was prior to 1870. So I just looked for "oldest usage" and found that one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It just so happens, I just did above.

Please site a logical reason why a society that read "bbl" as "blue barrel" and applied it only to an oil context would adopt the abbreviation for gun barrel.

But go ahead and demand I provide proof while you just repeat unfounded claims.
View Quote

I'm not 'demanding' anything, unbunch your panties. I'm genuinely curious. Its pretty amazing that the 'blue barrel' etymology is all over the internet, from seemingly solid sources yet manifests (which should be readily referenceable) exist showing the use of bbl prior to the 'standard' of 1872.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think barrels used for Whale Oil wasn't marked so they wouldn't be used for other things, like food.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because you don't speak Latin.  "Lb" is the abbreviation for the Libra, the Roman measurement of the pound.

The Limeys liked it so much ("Terrific race, the Romans. Terrific.") they held on to it.

ETA:  Beaten
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You don't think barrels used for Whale Oil wasn't marked so they wouldn't be used for other things like food.
View Quote

If you are implying that whale oil barrels were marked in blue - coincidentally the same color of the much later Standard Oil barrels - and that is where the term came from, note that the above referenced manifest was for foodstuffs in barrels, and abbreviated "bbl".
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I found a fascinating thread where a great collaborative discussion was had.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/287024-why-do-we-always-use-bbl-for-the-acronym-for-barrel/

Reading it, I felt reminded of the speech from the end of idiocracy.

It's odd to me we keep seeing the exact same manifest on the net, I'm pretty sure I've seen it on other handwritten sources (nothing that old, though).
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you are implying that whale oil barrels were marked in blue - coincidentally the same color of the much later Standard Oil barrels - and that is where the term came from, note that the above referenced manifest was for foodstuffs in barrels, and abbreviated "bbl".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't think barrels used for Whale Oil wasn't marked so they wouldn't be used for other things like food.

I'm not implying anything, just it would make sense to keep a standard of markings. They did it for poison and  gun powder.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not implying anything, just it would make sense to keep a standard of markings. They did it for poison and  gun powder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where does the first b come from? We've dispensed with the blue barrel idea from Standard Oil.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Is anyone going to own pp2?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#48]
In some countries it has two B's

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Barrbel
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I agree with OP.  Something's wrong here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top