Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
In the mid 70’s I worked for Denny’s the coffee was 100% Kona. It was really good. I started as a cook in mid 74, coffee cost .05. The next year 1975 the price was increased to .25. Sales of coffee almost double after the price increase.

Oh and vanilla ice cream was 24% butterfat.

For lunch on Friday I made 10 gallons of clam chowder from scratch, we always sold out.

In those days Denny’s was decent, but no more. I wouldn’t bother today.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I drank that for 20 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folgers Instant

I drank that for 20 years.
The only coffee my wife will drink. Decaf version though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Kenya AA
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
This was probably 20 years ago or so, but Starbucks used to have some single origin coffee beans, like Ethiopia Sidamo, New Guinea Peaberry, and others that were pretty good.

We mostly drink LaVazza Perfetto dark roast.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

It's that only coffee that I drink. It's been our coffee for generations.  Growing up in south Louisiana, I never knew that there was anything else until i went into the military.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a bag of coffee from Cafe Escorial in Havana one time that they inexplicably roasted properly. It made a really good French press. Every other bag I’ve had from there wasn’t as good.

Other than that, Cafe de l’Ambre in Tokyo.

There’s a roaster in Springfield, VA called Cervantes that I always go to that’s consistently got good coffee.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi-grade Kona when I was in Kona, HI
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anything Sumatra in my opinion
Since I'm fairly frugal I like World Market's store brand
11.99 for 24 oz bag of whole beans
I can get it locally or online mail order.
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've roasted a lot of good ones and I brew with five different methods (Mr. Coffee cheap-o, Bialetti 6/18 moka pots, ChemEx 40oz., vintage, antique Cory vacuum pots and a 32 tasse Bodum FP and frankly, method and beans will be the key, but in varying degrees.

I just finished up some Panamanian beans that I roasted to City +/Full City and the 9 mugs out of my Bialetti 6 and ChemEx really were stellar IME.

You never know?

Chris
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Somalis and Indians make a darn good cup of coffee. As a back up there’s a little shop in Al Ain UAE that for 50fils will roll your socks down and pull them back up.

All I can tell you is super fine ground and steep in very hot water for awhile. Probably an African bean.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the best coffee I ever had was from a machine outside of Luxembourg at a high end gas station.  The machine was a fancy one that did the grinding of fresh beans.

I have tried a bunch of blends and styles of coffee from CoffeeAM website.  Nothing that was perfect...I have had some good Kona style coffee, and even better JB Mountain that was good.  My taste buds still say day in and day out the best coffee for my money is a good quality Moca/Java bean blend with a good medium roast.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I was at my fancy cousin’s house this weekend. She had some fancy coffee beans, a fancy grinder, and gave me option of pour-over or press.

I had it both ways as I drink about a pot of coffee every morning.  

Be damned if it wasn’t just as good as the Community coffee I make in my drip maker I bought at HEB that turns itself on before I even get out of bed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
spokane washington, circa 1983-85, Rosaures groceries in the cafe, best coffee ever
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stocking Mill
View Quote
This, specifically the Smoking Musket blend.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was at my fancy cousin’s house this weekend. She had some fancy coffee beans, a fancy grinder, and gave me option of pour-over or press.

I had it both ways as I drink about a pot of coffee every morning.  

Be damned if it wasn’t just as good as the Community coffee I make in my drip maker I bought at HEB that turns itself on before I even get out of bed.
View Quote

Making a great cup of coffee has a lot of different variables.  Maybe your fancy cousin has no clue what it takes to make a really good cup of coffee.    

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whatever Classic cafe in Sylvania Ohio sells.
View Quote

Not bad. The old Village Inn had great coffee.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A client of mine married a woman from the Philippines. This is the type of prized coffee they drink.

Recycled through a Civit for $200 a pound. He says there is nothing like it.

https://www.kayakopi.com/kaya-kopi-luwak-16-ounce?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI77rclcaM9QIVQciUCR3iLQT2EAQYBSABEgJOqfD_BwE
View Quote

A friend of mine gave me a bag of it. We sort of passed it around because nobody wanted to drink it. I think I still have it laying around somewhere. My dog might like to eat it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Try Folgers 1850 coffee, really great stuff. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so all the local stores have a hard time keeping it on the shelf.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I was given 3 bags of Ethiopian coffee that smells like fruit

How do you drink this stuff?
Special way to brew it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Tully's Espresso Roast

Death wish Coffee Vahala Java
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Dallmayr - Crema D’Oro Intensa

Favorite beans for our “cappuccino” maker/ espresso machine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Look around to see if there are any local coffee sources?  

We have a coffee shop here that roasts their own blends, for example. They have a Guatemalan roast that’s good but I’ve discovered that I don’t like their Columbian roast.

Also consider finding out what you like or don’t like. I watched a Tom Scott video on coffee cupping * where the channel host learned how to like coffee. From this I figured out why I don’t like Columbian coffee - Huila blend tastes sour to me.

So even if it’s a great coffee, if it’s not what you like it won’t matter.

* not embedded cos it’s 30 minutes long.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Jamaican Blue mountain peaberry.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Up thread I posted that I pretty much like all normal, non-flavored coffee.

Got to thinking about. I'd like to point out Starbucks tastes like roasted cat piss.

While my coffee tastes are incredibly basic that stuff is garbage.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Try the Lindo brand
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top