BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reyn spooner is what my family wears to work. They aren't really beach and drinking shirts, more like office with air conditioning shirts.

I've seen hilo hatties around but never actually bought one.

Are you doing anything besides office work in these shirts?
View Quote
I work at home.  I live across from the beach.  I'm always sort of hanging out fishing or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I should ask if you are having a bad day.  

It's a joke.   Sorry if that was unclear.

Someone asked for Hawaiian shirt recommendations and you suggested a company from Vermont and a company named after the Bahamas.  

A good place to start would probably be companies from Hawaii.  
View Quote
The term "Hawaiian shirt" is a style of shirt.  

Check out the reviews on the shirts I recommended.
Hawaiian shirts - Tommy Bahamas
Hawaiian shirts - Orvis
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
My favorite is Sig Zane Designs, made in Hawaii!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I totally get that lots of companies make Hawaiian shirts these days, and many of them are no doubt high quality .  I just prefer the ones designed by companies in Hawaii, and that are actually manufactured in Hawaii.  

A shirt that looks Hawaiian, but is designed by a Vermont company and made somewhere in Vietnam or China or something, is not quite what I consider a “real” Hawaiian shirt.  It’s sort of like a 1911 made by Colt in the US, versus a 1911 clone made in China or Argentina.  The latter might be just as good in terms of manufacture or function, but is still not a “real” 1911.  

That said, purists/snobs can disagree on what make a “correct” Aloha shirt.  Cincinnatus has pretty strong opinions about this, and we don’t always agree.  

ETA:  If you are curious, Tori Richard is my personal favorite company.  But, they do not use a lot of rayon, so some purists may not like them.  
View Quote

The few non Hawaiian made Hawaiian shirts I’ve ever had were for situations in which I expected damage. Wore some better stuff to parties in the past and beer or other stuff that stained my clothes or ripped shirts / buttons in crowded party situations so I started going to thrift stores to prevent that happening again in the future. Same for Halloween, I have my expensive tailored stuff and my clothes for events / parties where drunks etc. likely to happen but I’ve seen tourists in Hawaii buy imported Hawaiian clothes from mainland chain stores on Oahu before who seemed like they just wanted something for a luau or the week they were visiting Honolulu, Lanai or Hilo
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got a couple of the Amazon ones that were 100% cotton, which is essential to comfort here where we have hot swampy conditions much of the year.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTMLNZD
View Quote

Cotton and swampy is an awful combo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have not seen that particular video, but there's nothing in there I haven't heard before.  Thanks for posting it.  Our plan is still for Kauai, but we are at least considering the Big Island as well - like the Ninole area perhaps.  (We are tempted by a piece of land in HPP - but we'll pass since we don't want to be stabbed or eaten by wild dogs ).

... although I might disagree with her romanticized view of Polynesian "mighty warriors"
View Quote

I like that part of the Big island. Every time she mentioned power / warriors etc. all that flashed in my mind was all my fist fights in Hawaii or the ones I watched happen
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Got this last week, is it boog approved?

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

The company is called Mambo.  It is an Australian company.  They designed a lot of the stuff the Australian team wore in the Sydney Olypmics.  I was in Australia at the time, and got quite a few of their t-shirts, although their hawaiian shirts were like $100 or more.  Too rich for my blood.

They have stopped making their "out loud" line of shirts, but sometimes you can find them on ebay or the like.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a huge fan of amazon but I got a hand full of these shirts from them and I see they do have their own site but probably still have to buy thru Amazon

Johari West
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those are more of a south-east Asian (Indonesia) type of shirt - commonly called a Batik shirt.  Similar to Hawaiian/Aloha shirts, but a distinct type and style.

I really like that type of shirt actually.  Ironically, there's a store in Hawaii (called Tropical Tantrum) that has really nice batik shirts, and I often get one while I am there.
View Quote

They were pretty popular when i was in school in Hawaii. Even saw friends in California wearing them at school when my Mom moved us to Redondo and Venice beach
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That was so 6 months ago.

Try to keep up.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]

''Me so hony, me so hony!"

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Tori Richards, Reyn Spooner, Kahala, and vintage Penney’s and others.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Every brand talked about in this thread is showing up in facepage.  I went to eBay and bought some Spooner shirts at a great price.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Every brand talked about in this thread is showing up in facepage.  I went to eBay and bought some Spooner shirts at a great price.  Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm partial to Hilo Hattie as they've got a lot of designs I happen to like. Paradise Found is my #2. I've got several including both their original Magnum PI red Jungle Bird shirt and Magnum PI black Jungle Bird shirts.

Other good ones are Reyn Spooner, Tori Richard, Kahala, and Diamond Head Sportswear.

A side note, a lot of the new Hilo Hattie stuff is not made in Hawaii and it shows. I don't buy those.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:05:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm partial to Hilo Hattie as they've got a lot of designs I happen to like. Paradise Found is my #2. I've got several including both their original Magnum PI red Jungle Bird shirt and Magnum PI black Jungle Bird shirts.

Other good ones are Reyn Spooner, Tori Richard, Kahala, and Diamond Head Sportswear.

A side note, a lot of the new Hilo Hattie stuff is not made in Hawaii and it shows. I don't buy those.
View Quote

Yeah I didn’t list Hilo Hattie due to they driving down their reputation
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made that mistake once. It was returned.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear ya. 10 years ago i didn’t try on or check the label on Levi 501s and when I got home they felt like cardboard and I then noticed made in Mexico and other places I just assumed like Johnny Lawrence living in the past they were still USA
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I hear ya. 10 years ago i didn’t try on or check the label on 501s and when I got home they felt like cardboard and I then noticed made in Mexico and other places I just assumed like Johnny Lawrence living in the past they were still USA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya. 10 years ago i didn’t try on or check the label on 501s and when I got home they felt like cardboard and I then noticed made in Mexico and other places I just assumed like Johnny Lawrence living in the past they were still USA

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Hilo Hattie and Royal Creations.

This is my favorite shirt that I picked up in Kona.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought a new spooner and a vintage one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bought a new spooner and a vintage one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got this one from Bezos. I like it personally. But it's no high dollar Tommy Bahama type shit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1M38DT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got this one from Bezos. I like it personally. But it's no high dollar Tommy Bahama type shit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1M38DT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

Disney sells https://www.shopdisney.com/brands/tommy-bahama/
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top