[#2]
Honda S2000 AP2 (2004-2009)...
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lotus exige?
View Quote
Not for anywhere near $25k... an Elise however could be had for a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
M3

Or a 135i could be had for less.
View Quote
135i is a phenomenal car.  Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
2019 Miata.

It's getting bumped to 181 hp courtesy of lighter pistons and rods, a new crank, larger ports, and a new cam.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
In terms of new best drivers car in that price range.  The Miata has to be the top choice.  The BRZ maybe a great car, but the Miata is going to be quicker at everything except maybe top end speed?  The BRZ being the more practical of the two.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In terms of new best drivers car in that price range.  The Miata has to be the top choice.  The BRZ maybe a great car, but the Miata is going to be quicker at everything except maybe top end speed?  The BRZ being the more practical of the two.
View Quote
Will depend upon where he lives.
I can not think of a more boring car to drive here in Kansas than a Miata...........where the roads are flat and straight and you navigate by
compass settings.......it's the land of the SL500
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
New- Ford Focus ST

Used- Honda S2000

(although sadly, they quit making them in 2009)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VPqUmcRWG5g/Tqvyqgtcu5I/AAAAAAAAGNI/EWPCXy0jUFQ/s1600/honda-s2000-images.jpg
View Quote
As the owner of an AP1 S2000, this is the answer if absolute speed isn't the be all, end all.  By far the most enjoyable car I have ever driven.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are we talking about lap times on a road track?  Speed, handling and braking?  Than yes; a properly configured GTI is a better drivers car than a GT86/BRZ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said anything about fast. I said best drivers car, I have a fast car.
Are we talking about lap times on a road track?  Speed, handling and braking?  Than yes; a properly configured GTI is a better drivers car than a GT86/BRZ.
Yes we are talking that, but fuck FWD so that conclusion is still a firm no. AWD or RWD only. I already have a turbo AWD 5 speed project car, I am looking for a low maintenance stock car with A/C that's still fun, and not FWD...and honestly, I think not turbocharged (I never thought I'd say that, because I was once "Turbo everything!" And I still love turbocharged engines, but...
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not seeing a low mileage example less than 30k.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Will depend upon where he lives.
I can not think of a more boring car to drive here in Kansas than a Miata...........where the roads are flat and straight and you navigate by
compass settings.......it's the land of the SL500
Foot hills of the Appalachians are where I grew up in N.E. Georgia, moved further south west in the state but still in the NE area of the state, plenty of corners and elevation changes still where I live now. And yes I'm looking for a light weight RWD thats nimble. The BRZ/GT86 causes me to pause because it has 205hp where the Miata only has 155... I'm not sure which is lighter weight, convertibles tend to have a lot of extra bracing to stiffen the chaise which tends to add more weight than a hard top coupe. And the Toyota has a lower CG I'm sure. Yet, it looks like in a lot of respects the Miata is faster? Gearing? weight advantage?

I hate boxer engines, but being 6' 2" I bet I would fit in the GT86 better than the Miata (with the top up)....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes we are talking that, but fuck FWD so that conclusion is still a firm no. AWD or RWD only. I already have a turbo AWD 5 speed project car, I am looking for a low maintenance stock car with A/C that's still fun, and not FWD...and honestly, I think not turbocharged (I never thought I'd say that, because I was once "Turbo everything!" And I still love turbocharged engines, but...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, this makes the S2000 an even clearer choice.
Rev-happy NA engine with typical Honda reliability, and not even a timing belt to worry about (the cams are run by chains).
We've had ours for many years now (first year model) and it's been fantastic, and it'll never be sold.....it's really that good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rev-happy NA engine with typical Honda reliability, and not even a timing belt to worry about (the cams are run by chains).
We've had ours for many years now (first year model) and it's been fantastic, and it'll never be sold.....it's really that good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But don't you HAVE to rev the piss out of those to have any decent power? Or is that a bit over hyped? I much prefer the styling of the S2000 that's for sure.

Okay... this has my attention.

Hey look at that
Subaru BRZ vs Honda S2000 vs Mazda MX-5 vs Fiat 124

Wow, the S2000 weighs more than I'd thought. That's heavier than my AWD turbo Talon.... (because I reduced it's weight to like 2780lb from 3100..still all it's interior minus the passenger seat too)
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But don't you HAVE to rev the piss out of those to have any decent power? Or is that a bit over hyped? I much prefer the styling of the S2000 that's for sure.
View Quote
You don't have to rev the piss out of them to get around but you're not going to win a lot of drag races. The car is more about response and handling than it is pure power. the 2nd gen car with the 2.2 has more low end torque but it doesn't rev as high either. Part of the fun of the s2k is revving the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's a very clean example. I'd be very interested in that if I were in your shoes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Bottom of the barrel air cooled 911

/thread
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under 6,000 rpm's it kind of drives like a Miata.
Over 6K rpm's (VTEC kicks in, yo  ;-) it runs like a raped ape up to 9,000 rpm's!
The 2000-2003's with the 2.0L engine rev to 9K, the 2004-2009's with the 2.2L rev a bit lower but have a bit more torque.......neither version sucks, and they are ALL 6-speed manuals  ;^D
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Soon as the guy mentioned the S2000 is the only one of the cars that still has a mechanical throttle body. That sold me, I FUCKING HATE DRIVE BY WIRE THROTTLE!!! HATE IT!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Matt Farah was just talking about this with a guy on his podcast. Camaro SS 1LE. Not the ZL1 1LE, the SS. Supposed to be bad ass.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Soon as the guy mentioned the S2000 is the only one of the cars that still has a mechanical throttle body. That sold me, I FUCKING HATE DRIVE BY WIRE THROTTLE!!! HATE IT!!!!
View Quote
Ruh Roe, I believe that the later "AP2" S2000's had DBW (the earlier "AP1's" did NOT).

Oh, and that yellow CR version you linked to says it's a 2005.....and the real CR's were only made in 2008-2009.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ruh Roe, I believe that the later "AP2" S2000's had DBY (the earlier "AP1's" did NOT).

Oh, and that yellow CR version you linked to says it's a 2005.....and the real CR's were only made in 2008-2009.
View Quote
Thanks for letting me know that. Well if they're all going to have drive by wire then, that's a wash I guess. I'll have to locate and drive each I suppose, I got some time before I'm ready to buy, going to be picky and make sure it's what I want...
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Easy..

S2000

Or

Z4m
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Mustang Ecoboost under $21,000

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell I might should make an offer on my friends modified FX-7, he never drives the damn thing...Makes just over 400whp on a single turbo conversion and mild street port job. But that's going sort of the opposite of reliable daily....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mustang Ecoboost under $21,000

https://i.imgur.com/Kug39WI.jpg
View Quote
I don't really want whatever I get to be turbocharged, turbo's are awesome, but they're also hot. And tempting to turn up the boost, first it's just 2-3psi, then it's exhaust, then a fuel pump, regulator, injectors and retune, then it's a bigger intercooler...etc. I am curious how much the Ecoboost mustang weighs though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
WRX didn't make page 1?  

*Edit, I see turbos are out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hell I might should make an offer on my friends modified FX-7, he never drives the damn thing...Makes just over 400whp on a single turbo conversion and mild street port job. But that's going sort of the opposite of reliable daily....
https://i.imgur.com/ZThw3uE.jpg
View Quote
how good are you at replacing apex seals and throwing tons of money at cars
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WRX didn't make page 1?  

*Edit, I see turbos are out.
View Quote
I'd buy another DSM or an Evo waaaay before I'd buy a WRX.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
How about a B7 Audi S4? 4.2 NA V8, Quattro AWD, 6 Spd, good handling. Cousin had one and I always lusted after that car.

...or shit, an RS4 if you can find one! Or an RS5 for that matter (one of the most beautiful non-exotics on the road, IMO)
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
2006-2011 BMW 335i with M-Sport suspension, either coupe or sedan.  My 2007 335i sedan was the best car I've ever owned.  Like a go-kart with a rocket engine.  Fun, fast, reliable with a twin-turbo 3L straight-six engine and a 6-speed manual that was to die for.  The generation after that went to electric-assisted steering and lost the famous BMW steering feel.

not mine but identical:

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]
C6

The Rx7 looks good for a LS swap
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd go with the S2K, e46 M3, or an Intega Type R.

All require the driver to adjust to the car's characteristics and when that's done, it's pure bliss. They may not be the quickest but the integration of humanity and machine is something beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Dooo iiiit!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
C6

The Rx7 looks good for a LS swap
View Quote
I tried so hard to get him to do the LS swap that was about the same cost as rebuilding the stock engine and upgrading it. (since he paid someone else to do it all) But nope, he said if it ever "pops" again, he would probably swap it then, but wanted to see what a powerful rotary was like. I was like "It's like, no torque, no torque bad gas mileage, unreliable, hard to start, BAM LOTS OF HI RPM POWER!....like a 2 cycle"
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m going to say Miata or the Fiat sister car. I’ve long said the 86/BRZ was a let down as it needs more power but it’s a fun car to drive at legal speeds. At least with the Fiat/Mazda you be getting the top down experience and IMO it’s a better car.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Three year old S3
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I tried so hard to get him to do the LS swap that was about the same cost as rebuilding the stock engine and upgrading it. (since he paid someone else to do it all) But nope, he said if it ever "pops" again, he would probably swap it then, but wanted to see what a powerful rotary was like. I was like "It's like, no torque, no torque bad gas mileage, unreliable, hard to start, BAM LOTS OF HI RPM POWER!....like a 2 cycle"
View Quote
One of my friends has a really nice ‘94 that’s he’s working on again, think it’s in the high 300 whp range currently IIRC with a BW efr setup, should be well into the 400s once it’s done.

I harass him about the evil LS swaps all the time.

It’ll be fun when I finally get my MR2 turbo swapped.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Dacia Sandero
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
You and me both. I think the drive by wire steering is just as bad or worse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to be clear, the early 2000-2003 (AP1) S2000's are the 9,000rpm version that have a mechanical throttle body setup......so are GTG.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
GTI, Focus ST, Abarth 500, Fiesta ST
View Quote
I heard Ford is going to stop selling Fiesta in US market.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Have you looked at a Mustang? Not quite in the same class as a Miata or BRZ but they still nice. I remember reading about a professional track test years ago that a car magazine/website put on between a performance package V6 Mustang and a BRZ and the Mustang won but supposedly the BRZ was not far behind and was supposedly more fun to drive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks like you are stuck with a BRZ. I'm 6' and found the Miata a bit cramped.
The S2000. Brilliant car, sucks that it a vert only.
I live in the NE GA area. If I had to pick a naturally aspirated performance car at this price range, it would be a mustang (with IFS) or older S5 with the V8.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Porsche Cayman S.

There’s four near me under $25k.  Didn’t bother looking for the non-S model.

There was one for sale on “bringatrailer” for $25,500. 2007 with a 2007 911~3.6L/6spd running gear swapped.

LSX/T56(or TR-6060) swapped FD RX7’s can be found also, norotors forum.  Mild to wild, basic N/A swap retains 50/50 weight distro, and can have a lower curb weight. Super easy 450-500rwhp. It’s common to run 27-30mpg also. Nothing else will compare to the performance/mileage, unless you lsx swap something else lightweight(M3, BRZ).
You probably know all this already.  And unlike the S2k, Miata, at 6’2” you can still fit in a FD.  Plus for corner carving, 275’s fit at all corners on stock body, dozens of JDM brands for suspension/chassis parts. Rocket bunny widebody + 315/325’s?  Real aero is out there..   Commonly referred to as the 3/4 scale vette.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
02-04' C5 ZO6
View Quote
^^^^^
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
^^^^^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
02-04' C5 ZO6
^^^^^
405 hp 3100lbs.  I just spent last weekend in mine, out on mountain roads.  It's the most fun you can have while fully clothed.  Prices hit bottom last year and are expected to continue rising.   The $17k car is still a possibility, but it will be a higher mileage, more worn example.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Honda S2000 AP2 (2004-2009)...
View Quote
Is the Lotus Elise availeble for that price in the US?

The Elise is to the s2000 as the s2000 is to the Miata.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ZThw3uE.jpg
Well, pretty good at the latter. On the Talon i'd upgrade something, then still not be happy with that part, so I'd replace it again and again until I got exactly what I was after. Intake has been replaced twice, exhaust 3 times, fuel regulator twice, air metering system twice (first went to a GM MAF then to 2nd gen OEM part) Considered the Evo's MAF but going to skip that and go to speed density. Changed the intercooler 3 times intercooler piping 3 times...

Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my friends has a really nice ‘94 that’s he’s working on again, think it’s in the high 300 whp range currently IIRC with a BW efr setup, should be well into the 400s once it’s done.

I harass him about the evil LS swaps all the time.

It’ll be fun when I finally get my MR2 turbo swapped.
I love the MR2's but they have suffered a similar fate to that of the DSM's. They became to affordable and dumb ass's teenagers ruined most of the good examples.

Quoted:

Oh it's definitely worse. Lets take 1 of the most communicative parts of the car and mute it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Delete
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Manual V6 Accord coupe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thinking outs a competition between the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ and Mazda Miata, any other contenders at that price point?
Manual V6 Accord coupe
Is this Jack Baruth's stealth account?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top