Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Tito's Vodka.  There is no debate.  Proven time and time again by independent tasters, Tito's hasn't lost a taste test it has been put into.  $20 for a fifth too...  Shit is addictive like crack!
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay guys, long time off these boards. Long story.....divorce etc. However, I have a question. What, in your opinion, is the best vodka for the money. Yes I know grey goose etc. is all great vodka but what gives the most bang for the buck in your opinion?

Ain't read all the responses, but if you're gonna mix it with coke or sprite or whatever, get the cheapest shit you can. It won't taste any different, and you can buy more of it.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info!!

Let me clarify it a bit though. I drink my vodka with a bit of soda or seltzer and a lemon twist with a dash of cranberry. Since I mix, spending money on a premium vodka doesn't really make too much sense.

Does this help a bit?

Seriously, who drinks Vodka straight other than the rooskies? I am a huge fan of Tito's and it's mainly due to cost vs taste. I mix with tonic and lime. I drank way too many last Friday at a party we through at the house and I felt fine the next day.

I do.  Maybe it's the Polish and Ukranian ancestry.  

Although I've got nothing against mixing it with things. either.

I drink vodka straight, but not if it is crappy like skol.  I have a large amount of polish in me as well.  I don't trust anybody's opinion on vodka if they haven't drank a decent portion of it straight.  It is hard to differentiate good vodka from great vodka after mixing it with more than 2-3 light flavored ingredients.  

I've had many vodkas, including ones in this thread, that have fell short of what I consider great for the money.  One example is Svedka.  I thought I found a winner the first night I purchased it, wake up the next morning with a mild hangover.  I keep trying it a fifth at a time to see if it is a fluke, but it wasn't.  

Don't even ask me what I think of putting a quality vodka in the freezer.  

Vodka comes in from many sources, the most popular are wheat, rye, corn, and potato vodka.  I won't go into the main qualities of each type, but I know I like potato vodkas most(wheat is second I guess).  So the best for my $ is Blue Ice vodka which is around $14-16.  

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/MrSogetsu/Misc/Random/P8200052.jpg

ETA: I keep meaning to pick up Friis, but they never stock 1/5s at my store.  Not getting my hopes up about the hype; I haven't had a freeze-distilled vodka that I enjoy yet.

Vodka is touted as odorless and tasteless, which is not true, but something with that stigma is meant to have flavor added to it. How is Tito's straight compared to others? I'm a Bourbon guy so that I can drink with a splash of water since it has many depths of flavors in comparison.

Tito's is a corn vodka which means it is a little sweet straight compared to other vodkas.  I definitely remember a certain spiciness which is probably from the minimal distilling.  Another corn vodka is Rain (which is pictured above).  I like it better than Titos as it is smoother and was $1-2 cheaper near me.  Tito's is like $20-21 near me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In before all of the Texans start crowing about Tito's.

ETA-Tito's is the best for the money.

Non Texan for Titos...
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I accidentally left a bottle (750ml) of Tito's Vodka with some girls who were used to Smirnoff/Seagram's.
That shit was empty within 30 min lady's were going crazy about how good it was haha
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Lately I've been "buying local".
Plantation Vodka distilled in Americus, Georgia
Good Times Vodka distilled in Milledgeville, Georgia

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cosco Kirkland. This is the signature. I like the stuff in the 2 liter bottle for $14.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EERmidhOdkE/SYgFuKaKj-I/AAAAAAAAALw/pOhMJKI1Hb8/s400/Costco+Vodka.jpg

I have heard from more than a few people that this is grey goose, with out the price of grey goose. How true that is, I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Tito's hands down
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Yep.  A real bargain.

You like Vodka?  Watch this:

http://www.vice.com/from-poland-with-love/wodka-wars––5

Then try some Sobieski.

Vodka is a Polish invention, and should be made from rye.

Not Russian, no potatoes.

Sobieski is fantastic, and for $12/750ml it simply cannot be beat.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#12]

The aptly named Russian Standard:

To be consumed with heavy rye bread, pickled herring, and assorted veggies.

Fancy vodka is marketing genius, but nothing more than that.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Kirkland (Costco house labeled) Vodka. Same thing as Grey Goose...
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]
There is only one correct answer:
TITO's Handmade in Austin TX. none finer, at any price.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#15]
tito's tito's tito's tito's
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PINNACLE

I got TWO handles of this stuff for free after rebate last year. For that price, it was a no-brainer, but I also found that it's completely acceptable quality.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Stolichnaya

Real Russian vodka is real
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Tito's, ketel one or if you can find it Hangar One

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I consider myself a vodka snob, so budget minded here are my picks

1 Segram's vodka - cheap - Has no real flavor and is clean (ie. no hangover)
2 Skyy - a lil bit more $$ nut very good
3 Friss - very similar price and taste as Skyy (good alternative to Skyy)
3 Tito's - This vodka has a very specific flavor that depending on mixer may make it taste unfaverable (ie w/ red bull)
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like RUSSIAN STANDARD. it has a nice hint of pepper and no hangover if u drink a lot of it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The aptly named Russian Standard:

http://thehotsheet.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Russian-Standard-Vodka-225x300.jpg

To be consumed with heavy rye bread, pickled herring, and assorted veggies.

Fancy vodka is marketing genius, but nothing more than that.

That's my favorite as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#22]

You win. Rain is the finest vodka ive ever tried bar none.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Follow up:

I read each and every post and ended up trying the Fris vodka. I really like it especially for the price. Around here I can get a 1.75 for about $14 plus tax. I am sure Tito's is an excellent vodka, but a 1.75 for it here was a little north of $30 or so. As I originally asked "for the money", the Fris is a great vodka for the price, IMHO. I heartily recommend it.

Thanks again for the input!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missourians for Tito's!

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

South Carolina Loves Tito's

NY does too, wrap your brain around that one arfcom
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I am far from an expert but from what I have read "Snow Queen" vodka is rated very highly among experts.

From wiki: As of 2007, Snow Queen Vodka has been awarded 10 gold, 7 silver and 8 bronze medals for excellence at major international exhibitions of the CIS (Almaty, Moscow, St. Petersburg) and in Europe (London, Vienna, Düsseldorf).[2] It was cited by to-the-trade publication Imbibe Magazine as the Best Overall Vodka in April 2007, and was called "Supersmooth" in the May 2007 issue of Food & Wine Magazine.[citation needed]
On March 19, 2008, Snow Queen Vodka was awarded the Top Vodka at the prestigious 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Additionally, Snow Queen Vodka was awarded The Double Gold Medal which is reserved for those spirits that receive a unanimous vote for a Gold Medal by all judges in the panel.

So yeah... As a matter of fact I am thinking of buying one for my father for christmas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Svedka or Monopolowa
That's what I came to post.

Svedka is very smooth with a clean taste that's a tiny bit sweet but not flavored. They do have flavored ones, but I don't care for them. At about twelve bucks a fifth, it's hard to beat. I tried Grey Goose once and was sorely disappointed when comparing it to svedka and considering the price difference.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to buy Three Olives for mid-shelf vodka.  Haven't had it in a while though
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tito's may be a fine vodka, but it's not the best out there in terms of value-for-money

You only have one liver, may as well splurge on the vodka...

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#32]
PURE tripple distilled Polish potato vodka. I guarantee no hangover!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]
the only thing iv ever bought has been smirnof so i wouldnt know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I have tried Smirnoff (hangover in a bottle) and Viking Fjord with similiar results.

I do like Skyy, Kru 82 and several others, but wanted something a little cheaper. Right now, the Fris is very good and for the money a great buy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Normally, I've been digging Svedka but I'm on a Russian Standard kick.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Okay guys, long time off these boards. Long story.....divorce etc. However, I have a question. What, in your opinion, is the best vodka for the money. Yes I know grey goose etc. is all great vodka but what gives the most bang for the buck in your opinion?

Stoli.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tito's Vodka.  There is no debate.  Proven time and time again by independent tasters, Tito's hasn't lost a taste test it has been put into.  $20 for a fifth too...  Shit is addictive like crack!

.............You would cry if I told you what I pay for TITO's here in Alaska...........

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stoli.

Too expensive!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Normally, I've been digging Svedka but I'm on a Russian Standard kick.

I am with you on the Svedka. It is a good vodka for the money. Fris is about $4 a bottle cheaper here.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Kirkland (Costco house labeled) Vodka. Same thing as Grey Goose...

That's not saying much.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stoli.

Too expensive!!

It's worth it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Friis.

It's a very high-quality vodka (distilled five or six times, IIRC), but because it's not well-known, and from a country that doesn't traditionally make vodka (Denmark), its price is surprisingly cheap (almost as cheap as the really shitty vodka).  

I'd say it's as good as Grey Goose/Belvedere, at about 1/3 of the price.

Good call! Picked some up at BevMo last night, $16 for 1.75 liters. Tastes great!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Svedka is arond $17 for 1.75 liters where I live in NY. For the price point it is quite good.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Stolichnaya.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What I have found is that the cheaper vodkas will really leave you with a "hang around" the next day. The better vodkas are distilled more times and thus more pure. Several that I have tried and liked are Skyy, Kru 82 and Svedka. Svedka around here runs about $18 for a 1.75 and the other two run about $3 to $4 more.

Keep them coming......

ALCOHOL is what causes the hangover.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Just so everyone knows.........

... The Polish invented vodka. Russians stole it.

Vodka is supposed to have a taste, and that taste is found in many good vodka such as Luksusowa, Sobieski, Smirnoff, Stolichnaya, Finlandia(my preference.. I'm a Finn), etc..

For the money, Sobieski is awesome(8 bucks a fifth in MD), and just a note that I haven't tried the Costco stuff yet.

Smirnoff is only so cheap because they are the largest producer of decent vodka. They have been doing it for decades.

You can not go wrong with most well-known producers of vodka, but there is little difference between most of them unless you are one of those weird freaks they hire to taste the subtle differences.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Orloff.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I only drink John Stark, cause it's made here in NH.

It's pricey but I've really got to try it at some point.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Interesting taste test results from 2010.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Tito's
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top