Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think the Bible mentions Saul being head and shoulders above all men.  I'm thinking he was pretty tall if a guy was 5'5-ish he was probably 6,4+.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're probably right.

Saul was mostly known for his stature, that was one of the biggest (no pun intended) reasons for him being selected to be king. However, there isn't any literary proof that I know of that suggested he was abnormally large compared to his countrymen. At 6'4", he'd have been almost a foot taller than everybody else, which doesn't fit what is written about him. I think the sweet spot for his height is just under 6', most likely 5'11", which would have been about 4-6" taller than just about everybody around him.
Think the Bible mentions Saul being head and shoulders above all men.  I'm thinking he was pretty tall if a guy was 5'5-ish he was probably 6,4+.
Yes, some translations mention that, but some also simply say he was taller/larger in stature than his countrymen, so I have taken the more conservative description based on him giving David his personal armor. There would be no reason to do that if Saul dwarfed David.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wasted effort I'm sure, but here It is again. I'm not a fan of talking to walls so I'll stop.

Genesis 6:4
4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct me if I missed anything, but your position is the Nephilim existed post flood because Genesis 6 says they existed before the flood?

The bible only speaks of the Nephilim directly in 2 places, or 3 if one accepts the variant reading in Ezekiel.

You said "Scripture mentions them ..."and after the Flood." I'll see if I can dig out a reference." I'm just waiting for it.
Wasted effort I'm sure, but here It is again. I'm not a fan of talking to walls so I'll stop.

Genesis 6:4
4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
Right on, that's chapter 6, then in the next chapter the flood kills everything not on the ark.

Unless there is an exegetical model that puts 6:4 post flood, which I'd love to hear about.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, some translations mention that, but some also simply say he was taller/larger in stature than his countrymen, so I have taken the more conservative description based on him giving David his personal armor. There would be no reason to do that if Saul dwarfed David.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're probably right.

Saul was mostly known for his stature, that was one of the biggest (no pun intended) reasons for him being selected to be king. However, there isn't any literary proof that I know of that suggested he was abnormally large compared to his countrymen. At 6'4", he'd have been almost a foot taller than everybody else, which doesn't fit what is written about him. I think the sweet spot for his height is just under 6', most likely 5'11", which would have been about 4-6" taller than just about everybody around him.
Yeah, the note in my CSB on 1 Sam 9:2 say: Lit From his shoulder and up higher than any of the people
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Six cubits, and a span is the definitive answer.

So, in modern terms... what was the nature of this fight? How big was David?

Are we talking, Andre the Giant vs Tom Cruise? (Tom cruise is a small man)
View Quote
Nature of the fight?
1 Samuel 17:8-10.  If anyone in the Israeli army fought him and won, the Phillistines would be owned by the Israelis, and if he lost, vice-versa. None of the adult soldiers took up his challenge.

How big was David
1 Samuel 17:33. David's height is not recorded, but he was a youth. 
1 Samuel 17:42. And Goliath was taller than David such that Goliath viewed him as a boy.

The thing that makes this story is that David's faith was in God and he had nothing to fear. He was naive and really could have been easily killed. What if the rock missed, or hit his arm? Or what if Goliath was able to attack and strike David? What makes this story interesting is that Goliath wore a brass helmet, so how could a rock go through the helmet and sink into his forehead,  1 Samuel 17:49? Was he not wearing his helmet that day? And if he wasn't wearing his helmet, a rock would probably have bounced off his forehead even if the rock hit Goliath's forehead directly. It was the supernatural power of God behind the rock that took down Goliath. Is that my opinion? Yes.

There are atheist who do not believe in God or the validity of the Bible. For those who are believers, the Bible self-promotes itself as inspired by God. 2 Timothy 3:16. 
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He was 3 idontgiveafuck's tall.  Isn't their a forum for this?
View Quote
Thanks for reading and posting in a thread you don't care about.

Thanks,

Nick
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
And if he wasn't wearing his helmet, a rock would probably have bounced off his forehead even if the rock hit Goliath's forehead directly.  
View Quote
I hear this a lot, and I have to say it sounds very silly to me.

In my personal experience with slings, I was younger than David, though probably not as strong.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to master the sling.

If I had ever hit a man  in the forehead, he would indeed have been stunned or dazed.  (Probably dead, or at least with a fractured skull).

Even with a bronze helmet, I believe this would have been the case.  Those stones can fly with a great deal of authority.  Ancient observers wrote of slingers who could damage or kill through armor, though this was probably done with lead pellets, not stones.

I was 12 years old at that time.  Presumably David was older, and stronger than I was.  Certainly, he was better with a sling.  The sling part of the story requires no divine intervention.  Not saying that it didn't occur, just that it wasn't necessary.

A stone slung by a competent slinger would easily have the effect described.  Goliath could have been perfectly healthy, and the results would have been the same.  Try a sling some time, and you will see how powerful they really are.

Maybe modern people are thinking of a child's slingshot when they hear the word sling.  Slings are not toys, the description of David's use of a sling does not seem unusual to me at all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is not correct at all.  I am a "real serious believer" and I almost never post in the Religion Forum.

To post there, you must "respect all religions", and I most certainly do not do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't post in the Religion form because that's where the real serious believers hang out.
That is not correct at all.  I am a "real serious believer" and I almost never post in the Religion Forum.

To post there, you must "respect all religions", and I most certainly do not do that.
Well, I was going to reply to him, but you seem to have taken care of that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And if he wasn't wearing his helmet, a rock would probably have bounced off his forehead even if the rock hit Goliath's forehead directly.
View Quote
Here's a roughly 4oz river rock vs 1/2" plywood.

I do believe that God prepared David for this particular moment, and guided his aim.

But don't underestimate what a sling can do.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
That video is a good demonstration of the power of a sling.

David's sling may have been even more powerful.  Sir Richard Burton, (the Victorian era explorer, not the XX century actor), once theorized that David may have used a staff sling.

I always meant to get around to making and trying one of those, also.  Seems like priorities change with age, however.

Probably just as well, my arm is sore now just from thinking about slinging.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you think that there are no COC's in GD?   do you troll the religious forum....why not?
View Quote
That was a truly stupid response.  Come on,  try again.  This time don't make up things others didn't say.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in the day, people were tiny. 

Goliath was your average sized, well built arfcommer. 

Probably 6'4, able to bench 315 for reps, had tons of shmeckles, a nice sword collection and a hot philistine girlfriend. 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a show on history channel few years ago, cant remember wich one. They had an athelete familiar with the slingshot david used. They set a fair distance and had him throw at a target with a meter on it. It took him a few tries but he finally hit it square on, and the meter read well enough energy to crush a thick forehead.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't post in the Religion form because that's where the real serious believers hang out.

I believe O_P and other's got a talking to for pretty much not agreeing that Catholics would go to heaven ("unless they got reborn") (with the olive branch being extended that Catholics would agree that Protestants would go to heaven).

#religion
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pfft but could David take a full punch from SquatDog ? I think that is the real question everyone wants to know.....
View Quote
That's what really got Goliath.  Squatdog is ancient, like a vampire. 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If the flood was 45 feet deep, why didn't people just go to higher ground?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A normal cubit is roughly equal to 18 inches. A long cubit is 21.

By those measurements, Goliath was 9 feet tall. The flood waters are 45 feet.
If the flood was 45 feet deep, why didn't people just go to higher ground?
Have you see how modern people act to minor flooding?  People are stupid.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
When do we get to discuss talking snakes?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Great Question!

As we can see from the Egyptian carvings of Philistines below, they appear to be the originators of the feathered helmet. And I am sorry to say I have know idea about the elevator sandals.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/rbwater/philistinesHEADGEAR_zpsxc0ldrml.jpg
View Quote
and here we see the first known "dab", which still curses society to this day
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Found the vid, its from history channels "lost science of the bible" documentry.

Its 15min total but the david and golith part is the first 5min. A professional slinger demonstrates the skill and science behind the kill shot david made.

Lost Science of the Bible documentary english part 2
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't believe the serpent became a snake until God told him. Genesis 3:14. And it was satan incarnate, so he could probably take whatever form he wanted.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And, as usual, you would be completely wrong.

No one ever "gave me a talking too" about that or anything else.
View Quote
"That is impossible in the Religion Forum, as the Truth of Jesus' Gospel cannot be posted there." - O_P
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
After the rib-women.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"That is impossible in the Religion Forum, as the Truth of Jesus' Gospel cannot be posted there." - O_P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, as usual, you would be completely wrong.

No one ever "gave me a talking too" about that or anything else.
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Light. No one comes to the Father but by Me."

If you have a forum that frowns on that, then no, you can't post the Truth.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

I'm asking the questions - from a reputable source.

The height of Goliath is static. We have that. Published via translation, for all to see

Now, how about David? How tall was he?
View Quote
Do we really?  The length of a cubit was the distance from the tip of the finger, to the point of the elbow.  Who measured Goliath?  David or Goliath would have very different sized cubits.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Great Ted talk on how David easily kicked Goliath's ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziGD7vQOwl8
View Quote
I don't know about "great."

The overall point is good, but...

About 8:00 and on, he describes the sling and missile as weapons.  He says 35m/sec as a speed, which is about 115FPS.  That's about 78MPH, which is absolutely not faster than "any baseball thrown by even the finest of pitchers."  78MPH fastballs aren't even competitive in the minors.

Then he says the "stopping power" (we'll excuse that one) is the same as a "forty-five millimeter bullet" (okay, fine, I guess we'll excuse that, too).

A 45ACP slinging 230gr at 850FPS is right around 400ftlb energy.

Barium sulfate has a density of 4.5 g/cm^3.
If the velocity of David's rock is 115FPS, and energy is 400ftlb, that's a projectile weight of 1.4 pounds.  At 4.5g/cm^3, that's a rock about the size of one of those miniature soda cans.  Baseball-ish.

You could sling a rock that large, but it wouldn't be a commonly selected projectile for a slinger.  The low velocity and high diameter/drag means range is greatly compromised.

The speaker's later claim of slingers being able to throw a stone 200yd or more...  yes... but not *that* stone, and not at 35m/sec.  Maximum range from a ~35* launch angle, considering some basic air drag calcs, is going to be 50-70 meters.  A straight-on shot with minimal arc (such that it could be reliably aimed at something the size of a head) is going to have a flight distance of closer to 20-30 meters.  

That gives Goliath a get-out-of-the-way time of less than a second time-in-flight, but that's not the whole story there.  If Goliath saw David wind up (and the body mechanics to launch a sling bullet are really obvious when it's going to happen), he could have shaved his reaction time down quite a bit.  Normal human reaction time is something like 3/4 of a second to an unexpected event, but to something that is well-anticipated (e.g. a baseball pitch), you can drop reaction time (really, adjustment time, since you're beginning your swing as the ball is still being thrown) to something like a third of a second.

I've played a lot of paintball.  They fire at 300FPS, they're much smaller than a fist, the gun doesn't telegraph to you when it's about to fire (although the gas puff is fairly obvious when it does), and it's very possible to dodge them by pulling your head back into cover, even from 20-30 meters away.  You gotta be quick, but you can do it.  You do have a natural bonus to it, though, as ducking from objects flying at your face is surprisingly instinctive.  

115FPS?  That's obvious it's coming your way?  A normal person can duck the shit out of that, easily.  That's really slow.

Granted, David in a tunic and sandals could probably outrun Goliath in full armor, giving him some time for a reload, but still.  By the story, he only needed the one shot.

Which is why I say the overall point is alright, because he concludes that Goliath must have been practically blind.  There's absolutely no way that anybody who could see a baseball sized rock at 20 meters could get hit in the face by it.

Personally, though, I'd suspect that David would have selected somewhat smaller (and therefore, faster) rocks.  Half to 3/4 of a pound, maybe something like that, just because 1.4lb of rock is super difficult to get any ass behind it.

I absolutely do believe that a .5-.75 pound rock at 150FPS or so will knock you the fuck out.  Kill outright?  I mean, you're gonna have a bad day, but probably that's not a lethal blow by itself.  Hence the sword-chop and all.

But for the David and Goliath story to be true on its face, it had to have been a truly remarkable series of events.  You've got a one-in-a-billion giant, with just enough vision to be useful in combat but without the acuity to see a rock coming towards his face (making him even more rare), combined with just the right time and place (perhaps with the sun at David's back, if the attack occurred in the morning, and maybe a slight elevation advantage as well), at just the right range, with just the right timing, and of course David still had to hit his shot, which carries a relatively large percentage of error, even with a lot of experience.  And, even if he hits his shot, Goliath is still wearing a helmet (and with that, a cushioned liner), and all he's got to do is turn his head slightly, dip his chin, anything, and the shot doesn't knock him out even if it connects.

David is the underdog because the odds of the story being true as they are printed are super duper low.  One shot knock out, as it's described?  Goliath has to stand there and not see it coming, and David has to loose that shot perfectly.

Sure, sure, anything is possible with God.  I understand that's the point of the story.

But, if something like that really happened, then it would have been such an exemplary, unlikely sequence of events that people WOULD have talked about it for ages.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Technically it doesn't. But Biblical scholars have extrapolated a timeline from connecting all the begats with the occasional historic events the Bible got correct.
View Quote
No...that won't work; there are minimal details between day 1 creation and when man/Adam appeared on the scene.  Best you could do is try to extrapolate how long homosapiens(?) has been around.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Bible is a book of mythology, not a history book. Does it possibly contain some real history? Sure, but it also contains errors, contradictions and fairy tales.
View Quote
Actually, old testament is far more history than "mythology", entire sections read more like history books than religious treatise.  But you's actually need to read it to realize that...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Six cubits, and a span is the definitive answer.

So, in modern terms... what was the nature of this fight? How big was David?

Are we talking, Andre the Giant vs Tom Cruise? (Tom cruise is a small man)
View Quote

Tom Cruise would have been a pretty tall guy a couple of thousand years ago.  The average male was what, around 5' 4" - 5' 6"?  

I think Cruise if 5' 9".
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was unaware of the Sumerian records.  That would tend to contradict the "accepted biblical scholars" 6000 year old earth.
View Quote
Correction: There is no  "accepted biblical scholars" 6000 year old earth, anyone claiming that is neither accepted, nor scholarly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How old is the Earth according to the bible?
View Quote
FTI, it doesn't say specifically.  The 6000 years BS was the result of a monk who tried to add up all the events in the bible and extrapolate a figure.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Spitballing before I google-fu but wasn't a cubit the length of the average man's forearm?

ETA: Cubit = The tip of the middle finger to the end of the elbow. A lot of variations from region to region and time periods but it seems the typical cubit was about 18" with a "long cubit" measuring about 21".
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I say you put the actor that plays the Mountain against say me as a teenager (120lbs soaking wet) and you got it pretty close.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What about the people the Bible says live almost 1000 years?
View Quote
Doesn't the bible also talk about a race of giants?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Actually, old testament is far more history than "mythology", entire sections read more like history books than religious treatise.  But you's actually need to read it to realize that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bible is a book of mythology, not a history book. Does it possibly contain some real history? Sure, but it also contains errors, contradictions and fairy tales.
Ok, lets start with Genesis. You're saying it's more like a history book than a book of mythology?

The entire creation story is absurd. You need new history books.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think there is one part of the Bible that says David's father asked him if he wanted to use his armor suit to fight Goliath.

David refused but his father is reputedly to be a LARGE man also.

So, I don't know that we will ever really have a good handle on how big David was, or turned out to be when he got older...............???
View Quote
Even if David was 6' tall, which he likely wasn't.

I wouldn't want to tango hand to hand with a 9' tall, mountain of a man with 125lb armor and a giant weapon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Goliath probably had some nephilim origins  , he was from Gath, which happened to be one of the three places where Anakim remained,  it is possible that Goliath was a descendant of the Anakim the Bible says were nephilim giants (Numbers 13:33) who mixed with the Philistine population in that area.

Of course " modern science" loves to discount and cover up all evidence of giants. This would hurt their precious theory of evolution. Many specimens of giant human bones have been donated to the Smithsonian, only to be "stored away" and never seen again. I recall reading about the giants of western Nevada , Lovelock Cave excavation. Those huge bones were given to the Smithsonian never to be displayed.   One thing consistent with many of these Giant skeleton skulls is that they all seem to have 2 rows of teeth.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FTI, it doesn't say specifically.  The 6000 years BS was the result of a monk who tried to add up all the events in the bible and extrapolate a figure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old is the Earth according to the bible?
The earth is very old. The story of adam/eve to now about 6k years though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't know about "great."

The overall point is good, but...

About 8:00 and on, he describes the sling and missile as weapons.  He says 35m/sec as a speed, which is about 115FPS.  That's about 78MPH, which is absolutely not faster than "any baseball thrown by even the finest of pitchers."  78MPH fastballs aren't even competitive in the minors.

Then he says the "stopping power" (we'll excuse that one) is the same as a "forty-five millimeter bullet" (okay, fine, I guess we'll excuse that, too).

A 45ACP slinging 230gr at 850FPS is right around 400ftlb energy.

Barium sulfate has a density of 4.5 g/cm^3.
If the velocity of David's rock is 115FPS, and energy is 400ftlb, that's a projectile weight of 1.4 pounds.  At 4.5g/cm^3, that's a rock about the size of one of those miniature soda cans.  Baseball-ish.

You could sling a rock that large, but it wouldn't be a commonly selected projectile for a slinger.  The low velocity and high diameter/drag means range is greatly compromised.

The speaker's later claim of slingers being able to throw a stone 200yd or more...  yes... but not *that* stone, and not at 35m/sec.  Maximum range from a ~35* launch angle, considering some basic air drag calcs, is going to be 50-70 meters.  A straight-on shot with minimal arc (such that it could be reliably aimed at something the size of a head) is going to have a flight distance of closer to 20-30 meters.  

That gives Goliath a get-out-of-the-way time of less than a second time-in-flight, but that's not the whole story there.  If Goliath saw David wind up (and the body mechanics to launch a sling bullet are really obvious when it's going to happen), he could have shaved his reaction time down quite a bit.  Normal human reaction time is something like 3/4 of a second to an unexpected event, but to something that is well-anticipated (e.g. a baseball pitch), you can drop reaction time (really, adjustment time, since you're beginning your swing as the ball is still being thrown) to something like a third of a second.

I've played a lot of paintball.  They fire at 300FPS, they're much smaller than a fist, the gun doesn't telegraph to you when it's about to fire (although the gas puff is fairly obvious when it does), and it's very possible to dodge them by pulling your head back into cover, even from 20-30 meters away.  You gotta be quick, but you can do it.  You do have a natural bonus to it, though, as ducking from objects flying at your face is surprisingly instinctive.  

115FPS?  That's obvious it's coming your way?  A normal person can duck the shit out of that, easily.  That's really slow.

Granted, David in a tunic and sandals could probably outrun Goliath in full armor, giving him some time for a reload, but still.  By the story, he only needed the one shot.

Which is why I say the overall point is alright, because he concludes that Goliath must have been practically blind.  There's absolutely no way that anybody who could see a baseball sized rock at 20 meters could get hit in the face by it.

Personally, though, I'd suspect that David would have selected somewhat smaller (and therefore, faster) rocks.  Half to 3/4 of a pound, maybe something like that, just because 1.4lb of rock is super difficult to get any ass behind it.

I absolutely do believe that a .5-.75 pound rock at 150FPS or so will knock you the fuck out.  Kill outright?  I mean, you're gonna have a bad day, but probably that's not a lethal blow by itself.  Hence the sword-chop and all.

But for the David and Goliath story to be true on its face, it had to have been a truly remarkable series of events.  You've got a one-in-a-billion giant, with just enough vision to be useful in combat but without the acuity to see a rock coming towards his face (making him even more rare), combined with just the right time and place (perhaps with the sun at David's back, if the attack occurred in the morning, and maybe a slight elevation advantage as well), at just the right range, with just the right timing, and of course David still had to hit his shot, which carries a relatively large percentage of error, even with a lot of experience.  And, even if he hits his shot, Goliath is still wearing a helmet (and with that, a cushioned liner), and all he's got to do is turn his head slightly, dip his chin, anything, and the shot doesn't knock him out even if it connects.

David is the underdog because the odds of the story being true as they are printed are super duper low.  One shot knock out, as it's described?  Goliath has to stand there and not see it coming, and David has to loose that shot perfectly.

Sure, sure, anything is possible with God.  I understand that's the point of the story.

But, if something like that really happened, then it would have been such an exemplary, unlikely sequence of events that people WOULD have talked about it for ages.
View Quote
Excellent post, bud.

Your mention of the time of day and placement of the sun is keen insight. I would think that both combatants would be cognizant of that matter, but Goliath may have figured "who cares, I got this" and given up that tactical advantage.

It's probably accurate that Goliath's eyesight wasn't that great, too. I'm not saying he would have been nearly blind (what army would want to hitch their horse to a blind soldier, albeit a 10' tall one), but it's entirely possible or probable that his eyes suffered from his condition. That would explain what the bible says about him.

Lastly, about the shot from David, we know that Goliath and the Philistines taunted the Israelites for over a month, and I'm sure everybody in the neighborhood knew about what was going on. David surely heard about Goliath and how the Israelites were terrified of him. But he had plenty of time to practice and hone his skill with the sling. By the time he went out to meet Goliath, I'm sure he was supremely confident in his ability to hit his target. Having said that, remember he had five stones in his pouch, "just in case."
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I believe O_P and other's got a talking to for pretty much not agreeing that Catholics would go to heaven ("unless they got reborn") (with the olive branch being extended that Catholics would agree that Protestants would go to heaven).

#religion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#religion
Wars have been fought over less.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Disregarding a discussion on whether the Bible uses AGL or ASL...

Where is this 45 feet number coming from?

The waters swelled fifteen cubits above the mountains, covering them. Gen. 7:20 LEB.
View Quote
So water covered the earth up. To 29k feet and Noah his family, animals and dinosaurs didn't freeze to death or die of hypoxia
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#46]
David missed with his sling and stone.  In reality, Goliath was hit by a .30 cal bullet fired from an Izzy FAL with silencer, fired by Benjamin Netanyahu from 400m away in his hide site in a hillside.  Netanyahu got there and back via the Ark of the Covenant which is actually a time machine, kinda like a Hebrew TARDIS.  The Reptoids told me this when I visited their secret lair underneath the new Denver International Airport.

Hey, it's not the most outlandish thing posted in this thread!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So water covered the earth up. To 29k feet and Noah his family, animals and dinosaurs didn't freeze to death or die of hypoxia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disregarding a discussion on whether the Bible uses AGL or ASL...

Where is this 45 feet number coming from?

The waters swelled fifteen cubits above the mountains, covering them. Gen. 7:20 LEB.
What would adding a miraculous amount of water to the earth's surface do to the atmosphere? Beats me.

My beef was with the faulty 45 feet above sea level number that came out of nowhere.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top