User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The military used to do the same thing.  Every year you would get this letter saying what you 'really' made. Funny thing, the banks would laugh if you tried to use it as proof of income.   I think saying something like 'it costs UPS $170k per year for each driver' could present a pretty clear picture to the average Joe if done right.  However, you need to remember the average IQ of reporters is somewhere between idiot and imbecile - and half are lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't make $170,000 a year. That is their salary + benefits.

Many years ago a man named Tim Crow thought it would be a great idea to discuss value instead of pay. Carol Tome, now CEO of UPS was CFO of the company Tim was EVP of HR at.

You take pay, 401k match, health insurance expense, available employee stock purchase plan discounts, etc and add it all up. Thats your total value.

If a driver makes $85,000 a year and the company matches 5% on 401k then they actually make $89,250. If they get 15% off stock and can deduct a maximum of $40,000 a year for their stock account they now make $95,625. If the company pays $2,100 a month for employee health benefits now the employees earnings are $120,825.

Slick isn't it? You use this number to boost morale, when an employee logs into an HRIS it's bold and impactful. When you give interviews about the company you talk to reporters about employee compensation and their total value using these big numbers and the dumbass reporters report it as pay. It makes great headlines!

The military used to do the same thing.  Every year you would get this letter saying what you 'really' made. Funny thing, the banks would laugh if you tried to use it as proof of income.   I think saying something like 'it costs UPS $170k per year for each driver' could present a pretty clear picture to the average Joe if done right.  However, you need to remember the average IQ of reporters is somewhere between idiot and imbecile - and half are lower.
I guess I look at things as a "TCE" (total cost of employment) thing.  I don't mind knowing what my company pays on top of my salary.  $50,000 a year for someone's benefits is quite a bit.  If someone is working only 40 hours a week, then that could be >50% of their pay.  I know the only thing that comes out of my friend's paycheck is taxes and union dues.  So making $40/hr as union labor, is probably closer to $50/hr anywhere else (when you factor in contributions to health insurance, retirement, etc.).
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in the USVI the big 3 services UPS, FedEx and DHL treat the USVI as an international address.
Most of their rates are 3 to 4 times USPS.

USPS charges standard USPS rates for most shipping, and they handle more parcels per day than everyone else except the frieght forwarders.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We have a hub about 25 miles away.  I was told that packages often arrive by air at the hub the next day after ordering

but unless the customer has paid extra for next day or two day, they will sit there for 4-5 business days on purpose.

I understand their motivation, but it seems underhanded and unnecessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPS has not guaranteed delivery times since the start of covid.  They are more than happy to take your money for providing that option however.

We have a hub about 25 miles away.  I was told that packages often arrive by air at the hub the next day after ordering

but unless the customer has paid extra for next day or two day, they will sit there for 4-5 business days on purpose.

I understand their motivation, but it seems underhanded and unnecessary.

WY is a pretty spread out area.  Letting ground packages pickle ensures a higher density of deliveries.

One thing people don't consider, ground packages are barely profitable.   Driving 50 miles to deliver a package costs $15.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh yea, because everyone knows how awesome fedex is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon and Walmart delivery are eating their lunch.

UPS should have done the contractor model years ago.

Oh yea, because everyone knows how awesome fedex is

Yeah, FedEx doesn’t give a shit

And Walmart stuff shows up in a 20 year old hooptie driven by someone with no identifying clothes at all. Just some dude or chick throwing a package on your porch
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They lowered the standard and started to hire people which had criminal records and drug users. Who didn't see that happening.

View Quote
That's happening nationwide for factory jobs. Mine starts at $32 for 2 year degree graduates and tops at $38. Still wouldn't get shit for applicants before they shut off hiring.

Hate to say the same crap,  it nobody really wants to work blue collar
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Figured it was Hodgkins, IL...
View Quote
Every time I have something go through that terminal, it sits for like 3-5 days. And I'm 120mi away across a river in a different state.

I hate that place and I've never been there
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, FedEx doesn't give a shit

And Walmart stuff shows up in a 20 year old hooptie driven by someone with no identifying clothes at all. Just some dude or chick throwing a package on your porch
View Quote
Sometimes store employees are doing the deliveries.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Bet most of the jobs being cut are non-union office personnel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess I look at things as a "TCE" (total cost of employment) thing.  I don't mind knowing what my company pays on top of my salary.  $50,000 a year for someone's benefits is quite a bit.  If someone is working only 40 hours a week, then that could be >50% of their pay.  I know the only thing that comes out of my friend's paycheck is taxes and union dues.  So making $40/hr as union labor, is probably closer to $50/hr anywhere else (when you factor in contributions to health insurance, retirement, etc.).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many years ago a man named Tim Crow thought it would be a great idea to discuss value instead of pay. Carol Tome, now CEO of UPS was CFO of the company Tim was EVP of HR at.

You take pay, 401k match, health insurance expense, available employee stock purchase plan discounts, etc and add it all up. Thats your total value.

If a driver makes $85,000 a year and the company matches 5% on 401k then they actually make $89,250. If they get 15% off stock and can deduct a maximum of $40,000 a year for their stock account they now make $95,625. If the company pays $2,100 a month for employee health benefits now the employees earnings are $120,825.

Slick isn't it? You use this number to boost morale, when an employee logs into an HRIS it's bold and impactful. When you give interviews about the company you talk to reporters about employee compensation and their total value using these big numbers and the dumbass reporters report it as pay. It makes great headlines!

So I was looking at my wife’s kids union check stub, lots of overtime on it, it was like $4000 gross pay, $500 taxes, deductions of $177, and net pay of $1600. There’s like $1800 missing. I was like where’s that go? She didn’t know, I don’t think he k know. With commuting the kid has about 8 hours at home. Crazy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
$60.00 for 7 day ground from El Paso to Detroit for an 8x8 box.

I am done with them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am done with them.
View Quote
Not using PirateShip, huh?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am done with them.
View Quote

that's more then I was paying for 10K rounds back in the golden ammo days.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So I was looking at my wife’s kids union check stub, lots of overtime on it, it was like $4000 gross pay, $500 taxes, deductions of $177, and net pay of $1600. There’s like $1800 missing. I was like where’s that go? She didn’t know, I don’t think he k know. With commuting the kid has about 8 hours at home. Crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$401k, retirement accounts, HSA, health/dental/eyeglass insurance, stocks possibly. And the more OT you do, the more you put into your 401K weekly if you do 15-20%.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Workers of the World Unite!  Plenty of time to organize at the unemployment office.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top