Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aren't the replicants or whatever more like biologically engineered humans, rather than robots?
View Quote
Fuck.

The entire point of the movie is: what is human?

Tyrell Corporation's motto is, "More Human, than human."

When Deckard shoots the replicant stripper and she screams and thrashes you actually feel more for her death than when Rutger Hauer kills Tyrell.

Deckard the Blade Runner runs off with a replicant.

They aren't mechanical robots.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Please God, don't let them screw this up.
View Quote
The good news is it's not being directed by Ridley Scott
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
This movie may raise more questions than it answers. When is a being considered human? If replicants breed are their offspring considered human after so many generations? Are original humans now Gods and what are  our responsibilities to our creations?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't wait to hear the soundtrack.
View Quote
I know someone married to that soundtrack (circa 1987ish)

Trailer needs less drums and more Vangelis

As I recall, Blade Runner is going to take place in 2019 LA, which isn't as far away as it once was
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As I recall, Blade Runner is going to take place in 2019 LA, which isn't as far away as it once was
View Quote
Looks like they're keeping the originally stated timeline, and Atari.

Which is fine with me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Being a life long Blade Runner fan all I can say is, I hope this isn't just another empty nostalgia driven movie. I'll bet anything they kill off Deckard and Gosling's character is the one to do it. Those "I wanna ask you some questions" thing makes me think Deckard might get the voight kampff test. I only say this because Ridley Scott decided to make him a replicant to sell the Director's Cut. Everything looks way to "clean" as well. IDK yet....I just don't know about this one. I can hope, but being skeptical might make me pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think that's biologically possible is it? I mean wasn't she a robot?
View Quote
Synthetic human with an expiration date... who says they can't breed?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Likewise. At least it's not a remake that eviscerates the original.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks real good. I will see that for sure....
Likewise. At least it's not a remake that eviscerates the original.
Reboots
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Being a life long Blade Runner fan all I can say is, I hope this isn't just another empty nostalgia driven movie. I'll bet anything they kill off Deckard and Gosling's character is the one to do it. Those "I wanna ask you some questions" thing makes me think Deckard might get the voight kampff test. I only say this because Ridley Scott decided to make him a replicant to sell the Director's Cut.
View Quote
Hmm...  Two iconic Harrison Ford characters killed off by their children (presuming Gosling plays Deckard's kid)?  What's next, Shia kills Indiana Jones?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess I better get around to watching the first one.
same here.
WTF

Blade Runner, Star Wars and Alien literally paved the wave for everything that sci-fi movies are now.

Catch the fuck up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hmm...  Two iconic Harrison Ford characters killed off by their children (presuming Gosling plays Deckard's kid)?  What's next, Shia kills Indiana Jones?
View Quote
Sallah shows up and hits Shia with a coconut in the back of the head, making it explode like a watermellon, right before Shia can shoot Indy.

You read it here first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't tell if this is a remake, a sequel, or one of the modern remake/sequel hybrid.  If it's that, even if it looks good I don't think I'll watch.  I'm so tired of recycled ideas.  I understand all great stories are retellings of old ideas/plots, but I don't want to watch another Force Awakens/terminator and be disappointed.  You'all can have your flashy graphics designed to woo the masses.
View Quote
Looks like a sequel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I would not be surprised if they bring Rachel into it with the same type of CGI used in Rogue One.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Being directed by the guy who directed The Arrival. Which was, IMO, one of the best sci-fi films in the last several years.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which is fine with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is fine with me.
Atari and Coca-cola are probably the only two companies featured in the original movie still in business.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think that's biologically possible is it? I mean wasn't she a robot?
View Quote
Yeah but she was "special". An experiment. Complete with womb and baby chucker.

I'd have hit it, even with the bad hair.

Maybe Deckard was human, they never really said he wasn't. Even still if they can make a Rachel that can reproduce they could make a Deckard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Atari and Coca-cola are probably the only two companies featured in the original movie still in business.
View Quote
You're probably right.

If they wouldn't have had the iconic Atari sign at some point in the trailer (let alone the movie) something would have been Very Wrong.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah but she was "special". An experiment. Complete with womb and baby chucker.

I'd have hit it, even with the bad hair.

Maybe Deckard was human, they never really said he wasn't. Even still if they can make a Rachel that can reproduce they could make a Deckard.
View Quote
Have you ever seen No Way Out? Sean Young was supremely hittable in the early-mid '80s.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Almost sounds like the original soundtrack from Vangelis -- or a soundalike version.

A sequel to my favorite movie... I'll have to check it out.
View Quote
Vangelis had to work his ass off to make the soundtrack. Now days wankers just use a mouse to tweak virtual knobs on a digital display.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I will watch it!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
You saw what they did Mad Max, right?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's what brought back Atari.  The Japanese perfected punch in the nuts robots.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would not be surprised if they bring Rachel into it with the same type of CGI used in Rogue One.
View Quote
I hope not since the CGI Tarkin and Leia looked fake as hell. I saw it on BluRay and a properly calibrated LED TV so they might of looked more believable on a blurry movie theater screen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if the dog is real. 
View Quote
Of course it isn't.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sallah shows up and hits Shia with a coconut in the back of the head, making it explode like a watermellon, right before Shia can shoot Indy.

You read it here first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You read it here first.
Or Shia gets his Commie face melted off by the power of God.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Of course it isn't.
View Quote
The owl in the original unedited movie was supposed to be real, but they changed the audio to say it wasn't. It was "expensive" since a real animal would be something only a person like Tyrell could afford.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This movie may raise more questions than it answers. When is a being considered human? If replicants breed are their offspring considered human after so many generations? Are original humans now Gods and what are  our responsibilities to our creations?
View Quote
Bunch'a horse crap, since in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep they were no-doubt, gears-and-motors fucking ROBOTS!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The plastic coats and clothing never took off and became fashionable in the last 30 years

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hope not since the CGI Tarkin and Leia looked fake as hell. I saw it on BluRay and a properly calibrated LED TV so they might of looked more believable on a blurry movie theater screen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The date on the stone makes me think Rachel is dead.

If she had the ability to reproduce with a human than she probably died giving birth. I mean, with Tyrell dead who could help her if there were complications? She was a prototype after all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I want a real Blade Runner gun. It can shoot .357 or .44 Special like the original Bulldog/Steyr prop gun did. I don't care if it cost three grand, I want it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a life long Blade Runner fan all I can say is, I hope this isn't just another empty nostalgia driven movie. I'll bet anything they kill off Deckard and Gosling's character is the one to do it. Those "I wanna ask you some questions" thing makes me think Deckard might get the voight kampff test. I only say this because Ridley Scott decided to make him a replicant to sell the Director's Cut.
Gosling is too old to be Ford's kid in this movie. Deckard's child would have to be less than 30 years old for the dates to make any sense.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Or Shia gets his Commie face melted off by the power of God.
View Quote
That would be even better but I think Spielberg and Lucas have gone too SWJ to do any God Face Melting these days.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Los Angeles Chinatown is all but gone now [same for Japantown which is only 1 block now] so that feature of the film is a bit off despite the number of Chinese living in California being double what it was in the 1980s, they all moved to the suburbs of Irvine in Orange County.  The Japanese have all but vanished in California

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The date on the stone makes me think Rachel is dead.

If she had the ability to reproduce with a human than she probably died giving birth. I mean, with Tyrell dead who could help her if there were complications? She was a prototype after all.
View Quote
It's....possible. The only special thing we know about her is that she didn't know she was a replicant. Every other replicant was manufactured from lab grown parts so she'd have to be really special to be able to reproduce. I just hope they dirty up the scenery and interiors some. The music is the only thing I can safely say is well done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Synthetic human with an expiration date... who says they can't breed?
View Quote
Tyrell didn't live in a castle because you can get replicants for fucking free.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One of my favorite SciFi movies. I enjoy synth/electronic music and thought the original soundtrack was perfect to set the mood of the film.

I'm divided on a sequel. Hollywood normally takes a crap when they do a sequel or remake of a popular classic.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when they don't carry over original actors. I totally get that it isn't always possible... so was very happy to see that Ford is playing Deckard. Would have been turned off to the whole thing if that hadn't happened.

Very high hopes with very low expectations.
View Quote
That's the way to do it.  

We'll see.  Trailer looks good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#38]
You missed the recent news about clear plastic jeans?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That would be even better but I think Spielberg and Lucas have gone too SWJ to do any God Face Melting these days.
View Quote
Social Wustice Jarriors?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Tyrell didn't live in a castle because you can get replicants for fucking free.
View Quote
Jurassic Park - maybe he didn't count on it.  Had "safeguards" to protect his investment only to see things go awry?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I wonder if they'll incorporate more elements from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? like the whole animal owning thing and the mood organs and all that weird Phillip Dick shit
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#42]
My guess is they are going to use the "Final Cut" as canon and Rachel is long dead (having hit her four year life span, plus Sean Young is apparently on record saying she isn't in the movie at all and nobody returned her calls... and not just because she has a rep for being bat shit crazy now), Deckard is hiding in some wasteland as a wanted man most likely (because he can't show his face back in society otherwise he'd be arrested), Deckard is human (because his original story doesn't work if he is a replicant), and Ryan Gosling's character is brand new and in no way related to Deckard... but follows a storyline very similar to Deckard's.

My thinking is that the story will be something of a remake but continue elements of the old story ala Force Awakens. Gosling will be a new Blade Runner tasked with hunting down another group of renegade replicants, one of which will be a new Tyrell prototype (the brunette, made by a "new" Tyrell played by Leto). He will follow a similar path as Deckard (falling in love with the prototype as he hunts the others), but in the process he will learn about the story and whereabouts of Deckard and Rachel (possibly from Gaff) and how they disappeared 30 years ago. This will give him some sort of drive to find them to see if they actually did escape and live "happily ever after" (giving him hope he can do the same). In the process there will be some story development that makes Gosling's character question his own humanity, and we eventually discover at the end that he himself is a prototype replicant built to hunt down other replicants (finally bowing to the whole "Decard is a replicant" thing, but without damaging the original film's plot).
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You missed the recent news about clear plastic jeans?
View Quote
They have less than 2 years to become popular

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-clear-plastic-jeans-huppke-20170426-story.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Social Wustice Jarriors?
View Quote
Yeth.

Switching to decaff isn't doing me any favors...
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I dont have high hopes, Ryan Gosling sucks, except when he's playing a semi autistic driver. And the bit about him being "special" didn't inspire confidence... unless he's playing a semi autistic driver in this, too. But who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck.

When Deckard shoots the replicant stripper and she screams and thrashes you actually feel more for her death than when Rutger Hauer kills Tyrell.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't the replicants or whatever more like biologically engineered humans, rather than robots?
Fuck.

A replicant is a fictional bioengineered or biorobotic android in the 1982 film Blade Runner and its upcoming sequel Blade Runner 2049. The Nexus series of replicants are virtually identical to an adult human, but have superior strength, agility, and variable intelligence depending on the model. Because of their similarity to humans, a replicant can only be detected by means of the fictional Voight-Kampff test, in which emotional responses are provoked; replicants' responses differ from humans' responses. Nexus 6 replicants also have a safety mechanism, namely a four-year lifespan, to prevent them from developing empathic cognition and therefore immunity to a Voight-Kampff machine. A derogatory term for a replicant is "skin-job."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait to hear the soundtrack.

We celebrated Roy Batty's birth date last year.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank GOD!

Scott was once my top, most favorite director.....and then....Prometheus.  Literally one of the worst movies ever made.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And he was too that's what the speech and the unicorn was about by Castillo.

Ryan fucking gosling :(
View Quote
I liked him in Drive & The Nice Guys.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top