Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dunkirk was a boring, muddled, mess that was far too artsy for its own good, and did a shitty job of telling the story of Operation Dynamo.
View Quote
I was very underwhelmed with Dunkirk.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Production shot or screen capture off of actual movie (I bought it too now, iTunes)?

Great picture.

PS always loved Harrison. He been my hero since 1977 (hence, the first part of my screen name, 'Solo')
View Quote
Production but for 40% off MSRP I’ve got an Apple 7, despite my antipathy towards Tim Cook and will take some screen shots too and buy the DVD. The cinematography was amazing & have to tip my hat for how realistic Rachel’s clone looked compared to the characters in the latest Star Wars films Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That was pretty obvious from the way 2049 ended.

I really liked the movie.  The music copied Vangelis style from the original very well, with a few glaring (blaring?) exceptions.

Robin Wright's (Madame) 2nd recent appearance in a movie was excellent as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you'd almost think that was intentional.

seriously--that scene is tremendously important, because it makes us question whether he and joi are any different.  joi is loveable and devoted...because she is programmed that way in order to be a marketable companion ("everything you want to hear").  K is relentless, curious, and determined--exactly the traits you want for a policeman.  isn't that convenient?

the thing is, we develop an emotional relationship with joi because she gives a credible simulation of actually loving K.  so does that mean that she's as much a person as K or deckard?

this is the evolution of the story.  first, replicants make us ask "what is human?"  joi is the next phase: "what is sentience?"  the obvious question is whether joi was actually capable of being murdered.
View Quote

Sir, you just summed up what the movie was all about, to me.

At what point can it be attributed be sentience?  Wallace makes it clear that replicants experience real fear as an inherent natural trait when first becoming conscious.  If fear is a natural inherent trait to them, then why can't love be natural as well?  By extension, does Joi's AI have the ability to form realistic bonds with others.  If "realistic" enough, is there a point where they are simply "real"?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same for me... but I thought of it as more of a feature of the movie, lol... we were MEANT to feel overwhelmed.
View Quote
The second time I saw it on IMAX they had toned it down to a reasonable level and the movie was more enjoyable because of it.

Dunkirk was way louder to the point of being stupid.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm one of those who thinks it surpasses the first movie.

What I loved about it is that K lost everything to finish his mission.   His job, his hope of being something exceptional, his girlfriend, his memories, his life.   When he faces the Joi hologram near the end, you feel the impact of the totality of his loss.  He's just empty... of everything but determination.

I don't think you can have a good drama without a certain level of sacrifice.
View Quote
Every major character in the movie is on a quest for their own humanity, and they sacrifice something to try to get it, none of them get there, but they all make a little progress toward it through their sacrifice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The visuals and audio alone were enough for me to thoroughly enjoy the movie. The plot was good. The original is one of my favorites, and 2049 is a great follow-up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

you'd almost think that was intentional.

seriously--that scene is tremendously important, because it makes us question whether he and joi are any different.  joi is loveable and devoted...because she is programmed that way in order to be a marketable companion ("everything you want to hear").  K is relentless, curious, and determined--exactly the traits you want for a policeman.  isn't that convenient?

the thing is, we develop an emotional relationship with joi because she gives a credible simulation of actually loving K.  so does that mean that she's as much a person as K or deckard?

this is the evolution of the story.  first, replicants make us ask "what is human?"  joi is the next phase: "what is sentience?"  the obvious question is whether joi was actually capable of being murdered.
View Quote
You seem like a good Joe.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every major character in the movie is on a quest for their own humanity, and they sacrifice something to try to get it, none of them get there, but they all make a little progress toward it through their sacrifice.
View Quote
I’d argue K gets there.  Only K.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If "realistic" enough, is there a point where they are simply "real"?
View Quote
very well put.

Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

very well put.

View Quote
That was kind of the whole point Wallace was trying to make. Reproduction would make them their own species, and would give him enough slaves to "rule the stars." (I'm paraphrasing.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was kind of the whole point Wallace was trying to make. Reproduction would make them their own species, and would give him enough slaves to "rule the stars." (I'm paraphrasing.)
View Quote
Angels
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, it's pretty clear he views himself as a God, as his line to Luv proves. "It is customary for an angel entering the presence of God to bring gifts." or whatever he says. (again, paraphrasing. I'll have to watch it a few more times.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, it's pretty clear he views himself as a God, as his line to Luv proves. "It is customary for an angel entering the presence of God to bring gifts." or whatever he says. (again, paraphrasing. I'll have to watch it a few more times.)
View Quote
China is actually hoping to make the first “replicants” fitting its central kingdom past but there’s so many competing technologies it’s hard to say who, what and when the future will bring
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

very well put.

i don't quite agree.  wallace wanted a self-reproducing commodity--he wasn't interested in their "realness" or humanity.  shane's post distills the theme of the both movies into a single artful sentence.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Great movie.  You might find this interesting:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/10/14/the-poetry-of-blade-runner-2049

“…blood-black nothingness began to spin / A system of cells interlinked within / Cells interlinked within cells interlinked / Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct / Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.” These lines from Blade Runner 2049’s post-traumatic baseline test come from Vladimir Nabokov’s novel Pale Fire. In Pale Fire, the fictional poet John Shade sees a tall white fountain during a near-death experience - the image’s “presence always would / Console [him] wonderfully.” Later Shade reads about a woman in a magazine who came close to death, who visited “the Land Beyond the Veil” and also glimpsed a “tall white fountain” there. Shade finds the woman to share this with her, only to discover it was a misprint - it was not a “fountain” but a “mountain” that she saw. But the error changes nothing: the image of the tall white fountain had meaning not because it had some objective significance, not because it was empirical proof of an afterlife, but because Shade ascribed meaning to it. The fictional scholar annotating John Shade’s poem, Dr. Charles Kinbote, writes: “We all are, in a sense, poets.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrP-_T-h9YM
Easier to notice the differences here.
View Quote
From another thread on Bladerunner 2049:

Attachment Attached File

I am not all that into...I guess...literature???

I had never heard of Nabokov's "Pale Fire".

So maybe the movie was/is too cerebral for some people?

EDIT:  beat by 5 minutes... arrghh...
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Apparently it's quite a traumatic movie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#19]
The concept behind the baseline test is actually really cool, and something I picked up much better the second time I saw it. The idea is to recite a poem from memory, then they asked you questions about certain words to elicit an emotional response, then compare it against the baseline you recited earlier.

I read somewhere the concept was actually Ryan Gosling's idea, and is based off exercises actors do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From another thread on Bladerunner 2049:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/Screenshot_20180108-184444-414989.JPG

I am not all that into...I guess...literature???

I had never heard of Nabokov's "Pale Fire".

So maybe the movie was/is too cerebral for some people?

EDIT:  beat by 5 minutes... arrghh...
View Quote
That's the book Joi wants K to read to her.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Loved it, favorite movie in the last 5yr or so.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Production shot or screen capture off of actual movie (I bought it too now, iTunes)?

Great picture.

PS always loved Harrison. He been my hero since 1977 (hence, the first part of my screen name, 'Solo')
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56204/IMG_3654-414999.JPG

Apparently it's quite a traumatic movie.
View Quote
LOL. Snowflakes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s in my top 5 SciFi movies.  Loved it.  Sad it didn't preform well at the box office, but it sounds like with global releases, it wasn’t a bomb.  I hope the BlueRay/4k sales will help fund the much needed sequel to finish the series.

Scott must release a third...
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I liked it. Not as much as the first one, but quite a bit.

Would love to see a movie about Sapper and his confederates.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2048: Nowhere to Run" Short
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

i don't quite agree.  wallace wanted a self-reproducing commodity--he wasn't interested in their "realness" or humanity.  shane's post distills the theme of the both movies into a single artful sentence.
View Quote
There's room for both themes in the film.

I understand Wallace wanted a commodity, but I got the feeling he felt that his creations would basically be homo superior were they able to breed, and he wasn't at all against that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Hologram of Sinatra: "One For My Baby"
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It’s in my top 5 SciFi movies.  Loved it.  Sad it didn't preform well at the box office, but it sounds like with global releases, it wasn’t a bomb.  I hope the BlueRay/4k sales will help fund the much needed sequel to finish the series.

View Quote
Yeah, it was a bomb. Production budget 250M, advertising on top of that, and it's recouped $175M?

To have to rely on video sales for such a big budget flick, means it was a bomb. -- Again, very similar to the original. If this one keeps people watching and talking about it, it may become a good cult film like the original.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought the movie was pretty damn good. I'm not that into scifi in general, and had a little trouble following everything, but that almost made it more interesting trying to figure out what everything means.

I will probably watch it a few more times.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:45:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow, HD clips of the entire movie are all over YouTube, you could watched the main parts of the film in an hour and free if you know the order of sequence
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had just fled from over 19 years of spousal abuse when I went to see Blade Runner 2049.  The theme of humanity in relationships in this movie hit me like a freight train.

Watching the portrayal of emotionally stunted "individuals" enjoy deeper bonding than anything I've yet experienced moved me in ways you can't imagine.
View Quote
Good share man.  Not in the same position as you but I think I get it.

Great flick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm glad there are so many other people who like this movie. Like I said before, I'm not particularly a Blade Runner fan, but I really liked the movie. I hope it gets a cult following like Firelfly did and it's strong enough to get another movie made. I am eager for this to happen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Loved it, people bitched about the long camera shots of the scenery, but it all looked great to me.

ETA Dudes alexa is HAF, sign me up

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Great film, I enjoyed it since I am a fan of the 1st one. I will be buying it for sure when available.

Maybe one day, we will get to see attack ships on fire or C beams near Tannhauser gate.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That was pretty obvious from the way 2049 ended.

I really liked the movie.  The music copied Vangelis style from the original very well, with a few glaring (blaring?) exceptions.

Robin Wright's (Madame) 2nd recent appearance in a movie was excellent as well.
View Quote
I loved the music except for the part where K is returning to the police station. That was really fucking annoying and probably cooked up by the Arrival composer. Hans Zimmer is a fucking genius.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Loved it, people bitched about the long camera shots of the scenery, but it all looked great to me.

ETA Dudes alexa is HAF, sign me up

http://s1.1zoom.me/big0/422/Blade_Runner_2049_Rain_Ana_de_Armas_533191_699x1024.jpg
View Quote
You mean, Ana?

I'm not sure if I should recommend that you watch "Knock knock"... or not...
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You mean, Ana?

View Quote
No, he means that Joi serves some of the same purposes as an Amazon Alexa.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean, Ana?

Ahhh got it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Fan of Blade Runner, and the short novella Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? it's based on. I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and thought it was good. One thing I was puzzled about was this - K/Joe was a replicant and therefore had "fake" memories like all/most replicants do. But the one memory he had about being a boy and running from other kids and hiding the little horse statute was an implanted "real" memory (e.g. we later find out it really happened, just to another person than K/Joe).

We [later] learn that this memory was actually of a little girl, who turns out to be the child of two replicants (Deckard and Rachael), and grows up to be Dr. Ana Stelline (the dream-maker woman living in the bubble due to an auto-immune disorder). Stelline is who Wallace is after (he just doesn't know she is the one he is searching for) since he believes she is the key to his problem - wanting to manufacture replicants that can breed.

So why did K/Joe have this real memory implanted in the first place? If it's illegal for replicants to have "real" memories why would Stelline sell Wallace (remember, she is just one of numerous independent contractor businesses that manufacture/sell memories for replicants) a set of memories for a replicant that contains an illegal real dream thus jeopardizing her business? Also, it appears Mariette (the blond prostitute replicant K/Joe has sex with) seems to recognize the horse statute after she places the tracking bug in K/Joe's coat pocket. Does this infer that Stelline has placed this memory in more than one Nexus 9 replicant (such as Mariette)? Or does Mariette only recognize the statute because she is part of the replicant underground movement and therefore knows about Stelline?

Also, Deckard indicates he, and the others he was collaborating with, went to great lengths to erase/confound records that could lead someone to Stellline. If K/Joe never has the horse memory implanted then the significance of him seeing the date etched into the tree, and the significance of finding the horse statute, are moot. His investigation essentially dead-ends. These two items only become relevant because K/Joe has the horse dream. So is there a reason he does, or is it just a plot device to connect A to C?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, it was a bomb. Production budget 250M, advertising on top of that, and it's recouped $175M?

To have to rely on video sales for such a big budget flick, means it was a bomb. -- Again, very similar to the original. If this one keeps people watching and talking about it, it may become a good cult film like the original.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's in my top 5 SciFi movies.  Loved it.  Sad it didn't preform well at the box office, but it sounds like with global releases, it wasn't a bomb.  I hope the BlueRay/4k sales will help fund the much needed sequel to finish the series.

I bet it made a profit. Read up on "Hollywood accounting" and you will find how much a film "cost" to produce and market is always grossly overstated by the studio. Even Return of the Jedi, a widely popular Star Wars film released in 1983 that had a production budget of $35 million, and globally raked in $573 million just in box office sales alone, to this day is still listed on the studio's books as "not earning a profit."
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bet it made a profit. Read up on "Hollywood accounting" and you will find how much a film "cost" to produce and market is always grossly overstated by the studio. Even Return of the Jedi, a widely popular Star Wars film released in 1983 that had a production budget of $35 million, and globally raked in $573 million just in box office sales alone, to this day is still listed on the studio's books as "not earning a profit."
View Quote
When the reported box office, foreign and domestic is 60% of the production cost, it hasn’t made a profit.

Creative Hwood accounting only comes into play when they’re trying to screw people with points in the profit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So why did K/Joe have this real memory implanted in the first place?
View Quote
As a decoy.  Just no one planned on the decoy being the one who discovered...  the decoy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Mmm, Ana de Armas.

Smoking hot Cuban girl.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As a decoy.  Just no one planned on the decoy being the one who discovered...  the decoy.
View Quote
I don’t think so. From the first movie, listen to Tryrell’s speech about gifting them with a past. Otherwise they wouldn’t be so realistically human.

Deckard’s daughter was just one of the memory creators for the Wallace Corp.  she may have implanted that memory in ALL of the Wallace replicants. Who knows?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don’t think so. From the first movie, listen to Tryrell’s speech about gifting them with a past. Otherwise they wouldn’t be so realistically human.

Deckard’s daughter was just one of the memory creators for the Wallace Corp.  she may have implanted that memory in ALL of the Wallace replicants. Who knows?
View Quote
I know.  I actually think many of the replicants have that memory.  Just that K is the only one who discovered it was real.

I'll have to watch it again - I *think* when K is with the underground the old woman replicant says "we all wish it was us" or some such.  But am not at all certain.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
ALCON is saying that it lost $90mm on the movie.

Remember that this movie's opening weekend total was an anemic $32mm. That is brutal, considering its budget.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ALCON is saying that it lost $90mm on the movie.

Remember that this movie's opening weekend total was an anemic $32mm. That is brutal, considering its budget.
View Quote
They’re down $90M. That number will shrink with rentals and Bluray and digital streaming sales.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
<snip for brevity>

So why did K/Joe have this real memory implanted in the first place? If it's illegal for replicants to have "real" memories why would Stelline sell Wallace (remember, she is just one of numerous independent contractor businesses that manufacture/sell memories for replicants) a set of memories for a replicant that contains an illegal real dream thus jeopardizing her business? Also, it appears Mariette (the blond prostitute replicant K/Joe has sex with) seems to recognize the horse statute after she places the tracking bug in K/Joe's coat pocket. Does this infer that Stelline has placed this memory in more than one Nexus 9 replicant (such as Mariette)? Or does Mariette only recognize the statute because she is part of the replicant underground movement and therefore knows about Stelline?

<snip>
View Quote

I believe it was unintentional on her part.  Artists often reveal a part of themselves in their work, intentional or not.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Playing free presently for Amazon prime members
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top