Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a going to be a 4k digital download on amazon? I don't have a 4k blu-ray player.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
William Gibson was writing 'Neuromancer' when Blade Runner came out, and he was amazed that it looked just like what he was picturing for Night City and The Sprawl.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a going to be a 4k digital download on amazon? I don't have a 4k blu-ray player.
View Quote
Vudu has 4K.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Vudu has 4K.
View Quote
Just bought it on my Roku TV - thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched this last night from the un-comfort of my hospital bed.  Amazing movie, I give it an A-.  The visuals were spectacular and loved the overall tone and feel, felt like a very worthy successor to the original.

I think it would have done much better at the box office if it weren't for the length - almost three hours is going to turn away a lot of people.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Watched this last night from the un-comfort of my hospital bed.  Amazing movie, I give it an A-.  The visuals were spectacular and loved the overall tone and feel, felt like a very worthy successor to the original.

I think it would have done much better at the box office if it weren't for the length - almost three hours is going to turn away a lot of people.
View Quote
I didn't even know the length before I went to see it. People actually care about that when deciding which movie to see in a theatre?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought the DVD yesterday and watched it for the third time.  Just an excellently done film all the way around.

I have no doubt it will be considered an all time classic eventually, equalling (exceeding, IMO) the first one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't even know the length before I went to see it.
View Quote
Same.

My wife, who normally has no patience for movies that long, said she didn't realize how long we'd been in the theatre until it was over.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I didn't even know the length before I went to see it. People actually care about that when deciding which movie to see in a theatre?
View Quote
If it's a movie I know I want to see then I don't care, but if I'm on the fence about something I usually balk at lengths over two hours.

Almost three hours long means theaters have less viewing times each day as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my exclusive Walmart Blu-ray. It comes with a Metal model of the spinner. Cool. (This was the Vudu disc + digital deal)

I already have this version of Blade Runner with die-cast spinner, so that's cool:

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got my exclusive Walmart Blu-ray. It comes with a Metal model of the spinner. Cool. (This was the Vudu disc + digital deal)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157305/BLADERUNNER2049_SunriseExcl_BeautyShot_FINAL-1024x663-425587.jpg

I already have this version of Blade Runner with die-cast spinner, so that's cool:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157305/153682_full-425590.jpg
View Quote
I generally quit buying physical media a couple years ago... but that is really cool...
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I generally quit buying physical media a couple years ago... but that is really cool...
View Quote
It's all about bitrate.

1080p streams are often dumbed down to 6Mbps or less, while playing the actual blu-ray you're seeing it at close to 30Mbps. In other words, the stream is horribly compressed. Best picture quality for purists is the disc.

I still buy physical media for movies that I love.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
You will when you get older.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The guy that originally published these found a box of new ones up in his office back in the mid 90s.

Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The guy that originally published these found a box of new ones up in his office back in the mid 90s.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20638414_10214275149497681_7320266948711808716_n.jpg?oh=e98021349e4318c6c5f5b22cf03d8682&oe=5AFB0E27
View Quote
samurai cat is one of the greatest things ever put on paper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Just watched on 4K the other night.  Awesome film, glad I purchased it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm guessing the reason for this and no director's commentary is the potential for alternative versions in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That movie fucking sucked.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#20]
It's boring, like watching grass grow.
Scenes are too drawn out.
Original movie was great but this is just boring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20638414_10214275149497681_7320266948711808716_n.jpg?oh=e98021349e4318c6c5f5b22cf03d8682&oe=5AFB0E27
It's really, really good. So is the sequel, though I don't have that one.

This one needs to be rebound.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's boring, like watching grass grow.
Scenes are too drawn out.
Original movie was great but this is just boring.
View Quote
Dune
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I agree.  I consider it more meaningful with Deckard being natural human.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, villaneueve is on record saying that his film is based on the original cut, in which deckard is human.  the entire basis of the original is that a human (deckard) acts like a replicant, while the replicants act (tell me if you've heard this one) "more human than human".  his exposure to replicants causes the human to recognize their humanity, which allows him to reclaim his own.  while the unicorn gimmick is cute, it utterly destroys the theme of the movie.

that and the technical aspect--deckard is pathetically weak and stupid compared to actual replicants--really ought to doom the deckard-replicant concept for good.
I agree.  I consider it more meaningful with Deckard being natural human.
If one listens very carefully to the conversation between Deckard and Wallace in 2049, with a single sentence, Wallace implies something that give both sides of the Deckard is human/replicant a victory, which both surprised and delighted me.

Whether explained or not, I think what made the Deckard replicant able to father children, also made him weaker than other replicants.
Rachael never demonstrated her physical strength, and I was given the impression that she was physically weak.

I don't want to turn this into a replicant/human argument,,, only explain why I still think that even in 2049, Deckard is replicant, and that The Final Cut does tie into 2049..

Jay
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Fantastic movie. I did think they made it a little too much of an 'action flick' with the needless artillery barrage, but otherwise it was very good. better win an award.

...oh, this girl is smoking hot
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought the movie the other day.

Meh....

Turned it off with only a few minutes left so l could go to bed.  I just never could get into it.

I'm watching it now for the second time, off and on, and it's starting to make more sense.  But I'm going to have to watch it many more times to "get" it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Dune
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fantastic movie. I did think they made it a little too much of an 'action flick' with the needless artillery barrage, but otherwise it was very good. better win an award.

...oh, this girl is smoking hot
https://www.theplace2.ru/archive/ana_de_armas/img/ana_de_armas_gq_magazine_august_2016_thomas_whiteside_photos_5.jpg
View Quote
It was more of an air/ space fire support. The Wallace Corporation owns its own military assets. His psychotic 2nd, Luv, was more interested in doing her nails than providing cover by easily killing all of K's assailants with her lethal toys. Without much effort or thought given to the deed. Amusement even. Kind of a contempt. I liked it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was a brilliant film.  The kind I didn’t think was made anymore.  The decency of good men in the face of certain defeat isn’t a theme our current culture could handle.  K wasn’t special, but his willingness to do the right thing (against the wishes of both the powers that be and the “resistance”, incidentally), made him great.  God damn, that scene on the steps in the snow hit me.  Beautifully done.  Also note Deckard’s willingness to live in isolation for the sake of his family.  The Last Jedi wanted you to believe that you weren’t special and didn’t need to be.  No Work.  No sacrifice.  2049 wanted to show you that you aren’t special and will have to be willing to give up everything for what some would call small causes.  That’s fucking dignity.
View Quote
I've been watching a lot of Jordan Peterson Youtube vids lately.  He's a psychologist who talks a lot about archetypes in stories that define societies, and that scene hit me right between the eyes.

K is Christ in that scene.  The wound in his side, his hand, and a ring of blood around his forehead.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you noticed the only time he smokes is in his apartment, and just the once?

He's not addicted.  He doesn't smoke after actual physical sex.  Nor after killing or any other activity we would normally associate with nicotine.

It provides a way for Joi to physically interact with him.  It's the only way.  So he smokes.  Purely to take the illusion one step further.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wish I still had mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157305/BLADERUNNER2049_SunriseExcl_BeautyShot_FINAL-1024x663-425587.jpg

View Quote
Wish the discs weren’t plain
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Got the 4k and Blu-ray Discs yesterday..The 4k Player hasn't arrived yet so I watched it in Blu-Ray..Great movie
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Just watched it. Was surprised, I liked it. Not quite up to the original but wasn’t really disappointed. Felt like it had gaps but I’m hoping a Director’s Cut will fill them in.

ETA: I’m very happy they decided to follow the movie timeline instead of making a huge jump into the future to compensate for the future tech envisioned.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I saw it in the theater. I went in looking forward to an action packed movie with a good story like the original Blade Runner. I came away very disappointed. It was slow developing and boring. The CGI was awesome but the acting sucked. Some of the fight scenes seemed to be added just to have a fight scene.
View Quote
Action packed like the original? The acting sucked? Oooookay. I hate Gosling and I was shocked at how good he was. All of the acting was spot-on. No cheese, no awkwardness, perfect delivery.

Stick to Transformers
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wish I still had mine.
View Quote
Check your PMs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's all about bitrate.

1080p streams are often dumbed down to 6Mbps or less, while playing the actual blu-ray you're seeing it at close to 30Mbps. In other words, the stream is horribly compressed. Best picture quality for purists is the disc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all about bitrate.

This. Amazon Prime's 1080 looks very ugly for some movies. The quality is more on par with 720. You'll see distortions and blurriness in black areas. Unfortunately data caps are likely going to become a reality in many parts of the US soon, but if it wasn't for that I'd love to see a Steam like service for movies. Download the movies and keep them on your hard drives (if you want) so you don't have to deal with low quality streaming bit rates.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Did not like it. The global warming bullshit was too much for me to get past. I respect pollution is bad. The first one addressed pollution (real), and overpopulation (not currently supported by many current population forecasts-not that most white guilters don't still believe it). This one still loved the overpopulation angle, but dug in to global warming myth

iirc somehow they equates warming with less water to boot.  Funny that warming should cause higher sea levels
View Quote
It wasn't global warming, it was a nuclear war. Read the book.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This. Amazon Prime's 1080 looks very ugly for some movies. The quality is more on par with 720. You'll see distortions and blurriness in black areas. Unfortunately data caps are likely going to become a reality in many parts of the US soon, but if it wasn't for that I'd love to see a Steam like service for movies. Download the movies and keep them on your hard drives (if you want) so you don't have to deal with low quality streaming bit rates.
View Quote
I don’t know if the birate compares - but when movies are purchased via iTunes one has the option to download for local storage and playback.

Same for those that are offered in 4K.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

One replicant and one standard human.
View Quote
Thank you.  Deckard is not a fucking skin job.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did not like it. The global warming bullshit was too much for me to get past. I respect pollution is bad. The first one addressed pollution (real), and overpopulation (not currently supported by many current population forecasts-not that most white guilters don't still believe it). This one still loved the overpopulation angle, but dug in to global warming myth

iirc somehow they equates warming with less water to boot.  Funny that warming should cause higher sea levels
This. I don't know what global warming he's referring to. There was a resource/food shortage, a dirty bomb in Vegas. Not sure what other calamities are in play, but I never got a hint that global warming was one of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ditto...I rented the movie on iTunes last night, and while I stopped buying physical media as well Im tempted to make an exception for this...if it's still available.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I did remember one of the little things that bugged me.  It's "little" in comparison to the whole story, but still fairly big.  Luv killing the police captain and expecting to walk out is pretty fucking crazy.  For all the "giant corporation" bullshit, this isn't Shadowrun where they're extraterritorial, and even there, a murderer like that is going to get wasted.  Luv's exit from that building would've ended up with Lance Henrikson and Paul Winfield and every other cop in that station laying rounds into her with M16s, and she is a replicant, not living tissue over a metal endoskeleton that can't be defeated with these primitive weapons (or a pipe bomb).  Doesn't matter how tough that skinjob thinks she is, there's going to be a building full of motherfuckers lined up to retire the fuck out of her.
View Quote
It's a Ridley thing.  He's clueless when it comes to security, and doesn't really care about changing that.  It's not important to him.

Take Tyrell--a guy who is so surrounded by security it's almost impossible to get in to see him personally--completely unaware that it wasn't just J. F. Sebastian in that elevator.

Or professional colonists and scientists who just run out the hatch with no helmets on to the surface of heretofore undiscovered worlds without any sort of sterilization/decontamination protocol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Great sequel. It enhanced and expanded on the original in a perfect way....I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I loved it. Complaints about length are unfounded, if you ask me. The "downtime" between set pieces gives you lots of time to unpack what's just happened, and the pacing is very classic film-noire. Just because it's not shit-exploding-every-15-seconds doesn't mean it's "too slow".
View Quote
In before "It needed more Michael Bay EXPLOSIONS!!!"

Michael Bay Presents: Explosions! | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim

@therex
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Han Solo fucked a robot and his sperm mixed with the wires and created a super baby that never went outside. Some dude thought he was the super baby the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, I hope not. It makes the first movie really fucking stupid. Because why would you send a model that needs to be briefed about his targets and their traits and weaknesses by a Police Chief? And he is a absolute bitch compared to them in hand-to-hand combat.

If he was a Replicant, he should have been like a John Wick Replicant. Not some weak ass punk that also needs to be told how to capture his targets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He still could be a nexus 8 like Rachel, and Sapper.  Open ended lifespan.
Yeah, I hope not. It makes the first movie really fucking stupid. Because why would you send a model that needs to be briefed about his targets and their traits and weaknesses by a Police Chief? And he is a absolute bitch compared to them in hand-to-hand combat.

If he was a Replicant, he should have been like a John Wick Replicant. Not some weak ass punk that also needs to be told how to capture his targets.
Actually it makes sense that he was a weaker replicant.  The strong replicants are becoming an issue, killing humans.  You don't want to send and waste human lives so you build a weaker replicant that if it/he dies wasn't as big of a loss.

Personally I loved the movie and I saw the original in the theaters and loved it too.  One of the few sequels I'm happy I purchased.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This. I don't know what global warming he's referring to. There was a resource/food shortage, a dirty bomb in Vegas. Not sure what other calamities are in play, but I never got a hint that global warming was one of them.
View Quote
Sea level was higher (thus, the sea wall) and there is some sort of virus/fungus that was killing all the food / plants. So, rare wood, and farms of bioengineered bugs for food.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Saw it Saturday, best scifi film I've seen in a long time. Fantastic slow burn, world building storytelling that it rarely done anymore in big budget movies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Saw it Saturday, best scifi film I've seen in a long time. Fantastic slow burn, world building storytelling that it rarely done anymore in big budget movies.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I didn't really care for it.  At the end, my girlfriend and I were both wondering, "Was that it?"  I'm sure that just means I'm an uncultured neanderthal.  I was really looking forward to this movie, too.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top