Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I do 15 pull-ups and lift weight before I go to bed every night. All my pain is from jumping out of planes and running 10-15 miles a week for 20 plus years.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You forgot to add that bailing is one of the shittiest jobs on the planet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a boomer, but one of the best workouts I ever had was baling hay 10 hours a day for six days straight.
You forgot to add that bailing is one of the shittiest jobs on the planet.
The bales with fire ants get your heart rate up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Your second thread on this topic

you really need to up your troll game
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
“Lifting weights will destroy your joints and skeleton, do yard work and go far a jog instead.”
View Quote
I've never heard a boomer say anything like that about lifting.  I have head boomers criticize running as a cause of injury over the long run.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never heard that claim, although improper lifting technique can certainly cause some degree of harm
Jogging has some long term wear and tear issues on your body as well.
That's why low impact is better for some people, especially as we age.
In the end, any form of exercise is better than sitting on your ass so long that you can't get up and off the couch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't lifted a weight in a gym in my entire life.

At 30+ I am running faster than I ever did in my 20s, and I feel better than ever.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
they don't need to because most are farm strong
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weight lifting is not good for you.

Running is bad for you.

The best thing you can do is not be a lardass, avoid sugar like the plague, don't smoke, don't be an alcoholic, and stay away from drugs (legal or not).

Exercise outside of daily chores is not going to do much of anything for your health.
View Quote
Bicycling and swimming, fam.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I "Jogged" by a CH-47 & AH-64 getting spun up to go out on a mission this afternoon.

Not bad for a "Boomer"!

I'll "Fudd" myself into the gym on Monday.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PLEASE DO NOT ENCOURAGE BOOMERS TO GO TO THE GYM.

For the most part they have no idea how to properly work out. Do shit like this all day long:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/70/c7/0870c76067157e07e30af36f8e011b2b.gif

Then - i swear - they walk around and blow dry their balls in the locker room with one foot up on the counter.  Disgusting boomers.

View Quote
That’s fucking payback for all you millennials that sit on the benches surfing on your goddammed phones for hours not lifting and then post on book of faces y’all just spent 4 hours at the gym.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just tren hard and eat clen.
View Quote
That helps for sure, but it's more important to Test the limits Anavar quit.

How much do you want it? Dbol is in your court, my friend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I like weight lifting, though I don't lift heavy. Stopped running at 30.

Started out wanting to put some mass on but honestly it just makes me feel like a million bucks.

My wife says I look great, but she is nice to me.

Cusp boomer/x gen, born in 63. Never believed I fit neatly into either group.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Just remember leg day and you are g2g
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a boomer, but I think you missed the point of instead of wasting hours at the gym go do some physical work. Get a workout and get something done.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
52 and still throwing weight, running and swimming.

You DO have to make changes, and the largest ones are going to be around increasing your recovery time.

I go by how I feel.  If I feel like I need an extra day off before lifting again, I take it. Maybe I'll run instead, swim, or do a weighted tread.

My workouts take place because I feel 100% up to doing whatever I'm going to do.  The calendar never overrules me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I can tell you after years of working out from high school onwards, as well as doing yardwork, house maintenance, and lots of assorted physical tasks at home and work...at 42, my joints are not in the shape they used to be.  Somewhat more susceptible to injury and take longer to heal.  I have certain injuries, such as tendon damage in a knee from a mistake when sailing, that are permanent and I need to be careful when working or exercising.

My thoughts on the subject, be as physical as you can while not injuring yourself.  Plan and think when lifting or moving heavy weights.  Mitigate impacts (wearing Five Fingers and unpadded/zero-drop running shoes actually made me a better runner and my knees and ankles stopped hurting versus wearing thick "running shoes").  If something actually hurts when doing it, or causes joint/ligament type pain for a long time afterwards, find an exercise that hits the same area with less stress on those parts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#18]
SQUAT Pro-Tips w/ Mark Rippetoe | Starting Strength

ETA: I posted this not for the squat tips, but for the parts where Rip talks about strength and aging. In particular the part that starts around 9:40.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Lifting weights will destroy your joints and skeleton, do yard work and go far a jog instead."
View Quote
Jogging is probably the most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men. That's an exaggeration, but not by much.
View Quote
https://www.t-nation.com/training/jogging-delusion

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I don’t find that lifting correlates well with actual activities.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't lift anywhere what I used to.

In June, we moved to a new house and I did most of the moving/lifting, except for one day, I needed a co-worker to help with the furniture / two-man lift items.

He is a regular gym lifter,4 days/week, and quite strong, squats...deadlifts, etc. etc.  Also physically much larger and taller than I am.

I am not bragging or trying to big myself up, the moving whipped his ass far more than it did me.  I was shocked at how he was struggling.

Over the last year or so, most of my exercise has come from yard work, tree cutting, moving, and general physical activity, versus repetitive lifting exercise.

Does this mean that lifting is bad or useless, of course not.  What I think it means is that mixing regimented exercise with manual labor tasks will strike a balance of physical appearance and useful strength and stamina.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not a boomer, but one of the best workouts I ever had was baling hay 10 hours a day for six days straight.
View Quote
LOL, I am a Boomer, grew up doing hard physical labor, roofing, haying, etc.

Joints destroyed.

One of my sons lifts crazy HEAVY. ( was farm stonk before).

Had shoulder surgery few months ago, hip next month. Before he is even legal to buy a beer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should share your insight with Rob Edgley.

I'm rarely shocked with GD, but this thread is full of incredibly unsupported herp derp and bro-science.

Tons of studies out there that conclude weightlifting is beneficial for people, especially older people. Builds and maintains muscle and bones that tend to diminish with age.

There can't possibly be any argument that cardio is bad. Running, maybe. Cardio, definitely not.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I've also been told - "Lifting weights is vain and selfish.  Do something more constructive with your time."
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What's easier, saying "working out is bad for you!" or working out?

Thats all it is.
View Quote
Touché
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVx2O6PXb6U

ETA: I posted this not for the squat tips, but for the parts where Rip talks about strength and aging. In particular the part that starts around 9:40.
View Quote
Watching and applying what Rip says about squats and back pain really helped me ALOT.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

The best thing you can do is not be a lardass, avoid sugar like the plague, don't smoke, don't be an alcoholic, and stay away from drugs (legal or not).

Exercise outside of daily chores is not going to do much of anything for your health.
View Quote
Well, that's the most retarded thing I'm going to read all day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For the most part they have no idea how to properly work out. Do shit like this all day long:

Then - i swear - they walk around and blow dry their balls in the locker room with one foot up on the counter.  Disgusting boomers.

View Quote
https://local.theonion.com/man-at-gym-apparently-comfortable-standing-naked-right-1823589292
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://local.theonion.com/man-at-gym-apparently-comfortable-standing-naked-right-1823589292
Uggh...

New Year, New Me is right around the corner.

At least they subsidize my gym membership for the other 11 months of the year.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
Into the copypasta folder you go
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The point of working out is to become better at doing action things, not some mythical "health".
View Quote
Health, “action things”, and looks.

Why not all three?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
Just a shot in the dark, but I'll bet you're doughy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bucking bales on a wagon and hand stacking > driving a baler. And fuck three wire bales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bucking bales on a wagon and hand stacking > driving a baler. And fuck three wire bales.
Been there, done that. It sucked.

Rest of the thread is pure LULZ.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
Well this is out there on the list of
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Some of the laziest, worthless people I know will probably live to 100
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Can we have a rule where if you start a boomer thread you have to post your own age.

I'm 49 for reference.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
Jesus fuckin christ. LOL.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He's kind of right, the more you stress your body, the faster it breaks down, look at most sports athletes, they are walking cripples much of the time when they hit their 50's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

Where did you get your medical degree from?
He's kind of right, the more you stress your body, the faster it breaks down, look at most sports athletes, they are walking cripples much of the time when they hit their 50's.
So you're using professional athletes to show that stressing your body is bad?

Now lets talk about average people who don't workout for a living.

Stress is what makes your body adapt- bones get stronger, muscle grows, tendons and ligaments get stronger. NOT stressing your body makes you fucking weak and sickly, just like not stressing your brain makes you stupid and gullible.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#42]
OP is citified and has never done farm work.

The term "farmer strong" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Stack hay, make firewood, shovel snow. I don't do any of these anymore, but if I did I'd be in great shape.
View Quote
My dad does these types of  things daily in his 70's and is in great shape.

I lifted weights 20 years, still do, and am in worse shape than him lol. Probably because I am a slug for 90% of my waking hours. He actually does physical work most of his days (and life).
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
As someone who has humped and ski'd a pack and M240 through mountains and desert (to include mountain warfare school x3) I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
OP makes a thread making fun of Boomer fitness logic, and inevitably it fills up with Boomers sharing their shitty fitness advice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've also been told - "Lifting weights is vain and selfish.  Do something more constructive with your time."
View Quote
Shit vanity is the only reason I lift, I want to stay sexy and lean. I never did it for health or strength.
Those other benifits are just a bonus..........I should add, at age 48 now, I am more concerned about health and strength.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
Know how I know you don’t know anything about health?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As someone who has humped and ski'd a pack and M240 through mountains and desert (to include mountain warfare school x3) I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken.
View Quote
As someone who has lifted and loaded countless equipment and materials over rough terrain for over 30 years. I can tell you I am not. Weight training and load management are two fucking different things. I’ve seen guys who are thin as a rail outwork muscle heads. As a matter of fact we used to employ temp labor services and the lifter boyz were always the first to crap out, I got many free beers betting sgainst them. Just because your frame is fitter for load bearing doesn’t equate to you being cut out fir manual labor. I stand by it, lifting doesn’t translate well to labor.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As a boomer I strive to stay in peak physical condition. My goal is to draw social security benefits for 30-40 years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
April 2nd 2017 - 270.6 lbs
Nov 15th 2019 - 219.9 lbs

I'm 42, 6 foot 1 inch tall, larger build

Beer consumption from 3-8 daily to 3-8 per week +/-
Pizza consumption from 1-4x per week to 1-2x per month or so.
I still eat carbs but far fewer.  Not a lot of fruit but occasionally.  I eat a lot more greens than I used to.  Heaven help me if I find an unattended package of Oreo's though.  Weekdays I skip breakfast.  Leftovers for lunch after working out.  Whatever the wife cooks for dinner but fewer servings.

22 years ago I was an NCAA All-American swimmer @ 200lbs.  Like visible veins in my waistline.  College girls were helpless when I'd bust out the guitar on the couch outside of Sigma Chi

Got fat, then fit, then slowly got fat again after college.

I woods bum, trail hike, work around my property, firewood, occasional jog (though I'm much less interested in more of that these days), a fair sum of non-stationary shooting drills too.  I hit the gym from 3-5 times a week and do A LOT of stretching and low weight high(ish) rep exercises, 45-60 minutes including 20 minutes warming up on the treadmill.  Each week is a totally different routine because I'm ADHD and get bored with the same old shit.  I also have a heavy bag and couple different speed bags in my shop at home I work with, a lot of body movement type calisthenics too.

A close friend of mine recently hit the 100lbs weight loss mark - from 317 to 217lbs.  HIT workouts at home and a MASSIVE change in diet.  Took him 10 months.

The notion that exercise is bad for you is laughable at best, like all things, doing it properly is the key.  Proper diet is also imperitive.  You can't outwork a bad diet.

My personal objective is to be able to climb mountains looking for rams or elk, be able to lift awkward or heavy things in the course of everyday living, be able to defend myself, look good for the wife and set an example for my kids.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top