Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like EV pickup owners want a car that's shaped like a truck, but never really intend to tow or haul anything.

The whole point of owning a truck is to tow/haul.  Otherwise it's just an expensive, inefficient car that doesn't do car things very well.

FWIW I used to own a truck and I did haul my ATVs and camper with the truck for long distances when I had it.  But why even have a camper if you can't take it long distances?  The whole point of a camper is to "get away".  If your tow vehicle runs out of power before you even leave your county, it's just not going to cut it.
View Quote

I tow and haul fairly frequently in the summer, but It's local all within 40 miles or so. Hay, livestock and other random stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No cost savings between EV’s and Fossil  in the long run.

Battery replacement alone shows this…unless you plan on trading in when that is needed..constant payment then.

Electricity will become more expensive then fuel costs today.

You think they are going to lose fuel taxes and profits by everyone charging at home?

Good looking truck.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This and the Rivian truck are the only EVs I would look at. Also I want to own a frunk.
View Quote

The frunk has a recessed area with a drain so you can theoretically fill it with Ice and chill drinks while using the 120V 20A outlet to run your blender.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The frunk has a recessed area with a drain so you can theoretically fill it with Ice and chill drinks while using the 120V 20A outlet to run your blender.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This and the Rivian truck are the only EVs I would look at. Also I want to own a frunk.

Nice
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate EVs but I do like drunk driving I'm torn
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Not all trucks are for towing/hauling.

Trucks like these would be perfect for independent contractors who work within a metro area. Bring all your tools/supplies, be able to tow a trailer IF you have to, and you can plug your powertools into the truck itself for power.

Not every valid truck purpose is 500 miles under load.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried looking up the battery warranty. LOL.

Fuck ford.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No cost savings between EV’s and Fossil  in the long run.

Battery replacement alone shows this…unless you plan on trading in when that is needed..constant payment then.

Electricity will become more expensive then fuel costs today.

You think they are going to lose fuel taxes and profits by everyone charging at home?

Good looking truck.
View Quote

I plan on Vehicles lasting me about 10 years. At that point I'm usually ready to change vehicles for some reason and/or the vehicle is near the end of life for some expensive components and It's not worth the cost to me to replace it.

In Oregon there is a surcharge added to the registration fee to make up for the loss in fuel taxes.

If electricity becomes more expensive than fuel, there will literally be economic collapse and riots.  I live in a regulated electricity market. Electric prices are predictable and fuel prices are not. The state government is driving the cost of fuel higher through increased taxation. The actual stated goal is to make fuel so expensive people stop buying it. Thier actions make me believe they are serious.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Put some truck nutz on it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
That was an excellent posting however I am able to catch the subtle unwritten points that out you as a climate change warrior.

You know Al Gore don't you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
You bought a short distance commuter vehicle with a truck bed.  At an expensive cost.

Many people that use a truck for work will put in more miles than you do and that becomes a major hindrance.

However, it sounds like the vehicle suits your needs so it is GTG.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No. It's set up with Independant suspension with the drive motor mounted in the center similar to a Front wheel drive car, I guess. Not sure how it's mechanically set up to "lock" both sides or if it's just software based to not allow slip on one side.

Watch 2:30-3:00 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYdt2KyZG8
View Quote

That guy is an inept cross-country traveler.   Find his video where he trailered a vehicle using a Rivian.  He would only charge enough to hopefully make it to the next charging location and would end the driving day around 200 AM or so.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I plan on Vehicles lasting me about 10 years. At that point I'm usually ready to change vehicles for some reason and/or the vehicle is near the end of life for some expensive components and It's not worth the cost to me to replace it.

In Oregon there is a surcharge added to the registration fee to make up for the loss in fuel taxes.

If electricity becomes more expensive than fuel, there will literally be economic collapse and riots.  I live in a regulated electricity market. Electric prices are predictable and fuel prices are not. The state government is driving the cost of fuel higher through increased taxation. The actual stated goal is to make fuel so expensive people stop buying it. Thier actions make me believe they are serious.
View Quote

Oregon is a commie fascist anti-America state like California and Washington.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any interior pix?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That was an excellent posting however I am able to catch the subtle unwritten points that out you as a climate change warrior.

You know Al Gore don't you?
View Quote

Nope. In fact, my brother is a timber cutter, and I grew up around the Logging and wood products industries. One of my best friends owns a logging company. Equipment like this:
Tigercat LX830E Feller Buncher in Washington

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Get some floor liners for the front.    You are welcome.

This may be one option but verify.
View Quote

The entire floor is rubber so I'm hoping to go without liners.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
So it is lower than a regular F150, which most people around me would not buy.  They either get the lifted 4x4 or a few morons get the appearance package in 2x4
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You bought a short distance commuter vehicle with a truck bed.  At an expensive cost.

Many people that use a truck for work will put in more miles than you do and that becomes a major hindrance.

However, it sounds like the vehicle suits your needs so it is GTG.
View Quote

Agreed. My electrician friend that installed the charger said he generally does 300-500 miles a day in his work truck. He also has a business to write off the cost of fuel, so it works out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So it is lower than a regular F150, which most people around me would not buy.  They either get the lifted 4x4 or a few morons get the appearance package in 2x4
View Quote

A Lariet is 75K and a platinum runs 90-125K

Not sure how much higher that is than the fancy gas trucks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oregon is a commie fascist anti-America state like California and Washington.
View Quote

We agree.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad it is working for you OP.  Lot of people betting EV's will work.  Billions are being spent hoping they will be successful.

I do not think EV's being a staple vehicle in the American market until.... charging can be incorporated into the the Interstate system.

If they can do this, then you can maintain your range once driving to a new location. It opens up the U.S. for access to EV.

Until then,  EV's are a luxury 2nd vehicle or retired person vehicle.  Most people do not have the time for a hobby vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#24]
What are we going to call the EV Brodozers?

Beevers?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From reading the arfcom EV threads, this is the majority of arfcom PU owners. You forgot the 20,000 pound trailer they all pull everywhere, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/20230311_115739_jpg-2751941.JPG

If you're the type that likes to piss in a Gatorade bottle with one had while fueling with the other while you yell at your wife across the fuel island to hurry the fuck up so you can hit the road this thing isn't for you.

From reading the arfcom EV threads, this is the majority of arfcom PU owners. You forgot the 20,000 pound trailer they all pull everywhere, though.

Excellent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I tow and haul fairly frequently in the summer, but It's local all within 40 miles or so. Hay, livestock and other random stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like EV pickup owners want a car that's shaped like a truck, but never really intend to tow or haul anything.

The whole point of owning a truck is to tow/haul.  Otherwise it's just an expensive, inefficient car that doesn't do car things very well.

FWIW I used to own a truck and I did haul my ATVs and camper with the truck for long distances when I had it.  But why even have a camper if you can't take it long distances?  The whole point of a camper is to "get away".  If your tow vehicle runs out of power before you even leave your county, it's just not going to cut it.

Sounds like it's a good fit for you. The above poster also describes probably a majority of truck owners. They need a commuting vehicle, and then once a month making a run to Lowes for mulch.

I know everyone on here is doing hardcore truck stuff at their 80 hour a week job, but there are a lot of trucks sold to people who don't.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Has it caught on fire yet? Battery explode yet? Software lock up and shut'er down yet?

EV thread!

@beatdildosstrife
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will buy an EV when the last US refinery closes down
View Quote

I won't.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#29]
OP I was really considering a one, but the prices to get the extended battery sort of shot the deal down.

If Ford would let you put the big battery in the lower tier models I would be all over it.

Can yours be  back up power for your house?  That is a very cool capability.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP I was really considering a one, but the prices to get the extended battery sort of shot the deal down.

If Ford would let you put the big battery in the lower tier models I would be all over it.

View Quote

That's the hybrid not the EV
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, you can own a truck because you like it.  You don’t have to do “truck stuff” to justify owning what you like.

I also own long range guns, and hunting guns, and hunting knives.  

I do none of that stuff. I also own a big ass truck, because I want to.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#32]
The lightning started out affordable but now is a bit high in price, I'm now looking forward to the Silverado EV WT that is supposed to hit the market for $39,000 and has a 200kwh battery for up to 400 miles of range.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It could but the only way to have the automatic backup is to purchase the Ford 80A charger that comes free on the higher trims AND pay Sun Run to install the actual house backup system. It would be 8.5K minimum. I'm not that rich so If the power goes out I'll run an extension cord from the truck to the fridge and call it a day.

I was on the fence with this purchase. But when running the numbers for my use it made sense. trying to combine a cheap commuter rig and a pickup for utility into one vehicle isnt easy. I have limited parking for I would have to pay to store another vehicle that I wasn't using daily. That also factored into the decision. A spare vehicle costs an additional $70/month for outdoor storage plus insurance and maintenance. When I look at the cost of moving out of town with some space and a shop its 750K+ so then storage looks attractive again and here we are.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Put some truck nutz on it.
View Quote

Light up electric nuts
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure about that?
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup-intelligent-backup-power-house/
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The lightning started out affordable but now is a bit high in price, I'm now looking forward to the Silverado EV WT that is supposed to hit the market for $39,000 and has a 200kwh battery for up to 400 miles of range.
View Quote

My opinion is that it's Highly unlikely that you will see a Silverado EV WT for 41K and a 200kWh battery. They have already stated that the first trucks produced will be the loaded RST likely for over 100K. My guess is they will force you into higher trims to get a battery that size unless you are a fleet customer. In fact I think any Silverado EV WT for 41K is unlikely at this point with the rampant inflation that has occurred since that announcement. Base price for the Lightning is like 56K now. Unless you already have a reservation your likely 3 years out from being able to buy one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure about that?
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup-intelligent-backup-power-house/

I'm sorry I should have been more specific.

The EV version is stupid because the entire point of a generator is to generate electricity from fuel not consume a stored charge.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Ev thread
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My opinion is that it's Highly unlikely that you will see a Silverado EV WT for 41K and a 200kWh battery. They have already stated that the first trucks produced will be the loaded RST likely for over 100K. My guess is they will force you into higher trims to get a battery that size unless you are a fleet customer. In fact I think any Silverado EV WT for 41K is unlikely at this point with the rampant inflation that has occurred since that announcement. Base price for the Lightning is like 56K now. Unless you already have a reservation your likely 3 years out from being able to buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty reasonable assumption just like Ford did.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I have loved my Lightning I got it Dec 9th. I was in wave 2 so locked in to the original price of 40K+ options for my pro. I added max tow and tow tech. So 44K. and the full 7500 government hand out. So 37500 out the door for me.

Also added a home charger 50amp and got almost 3K back handout from uncle Sam.

Only issue I have had is it loosing connection with fordpass so no remote start until you disconnect the 12v ground and re attach it.

The last over the air update was supposed to fix that.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm curious when they'll start marking multifuel bring-along chargers.

GM & others experimented with them heavily in the 2000s.

They had several hybrid-type drivetrains that would run 60-80mpg similar to how a diesel locomotive works (People generally don't realize that diesel locomotives don't run on diesel, they run on electric with a diesel turbogen).

GM at one time had a vehicle that would do 60-80mpg on almost anything : propane, gasoline, kerosene, natural gas, avgas, jet-A, diesel and more. I loved (generally) the idea of having a vehicle that could run on anything, similar to a Modern M35a2.

Eventually someone will make a small-format combined cycle turbine generator for these kinds of vehicles and it'll be game over. It's silly we use ICE engines utilizing only 45% of the energy in fuel, when for power plants they can get 90%+, heck some cases are 95% right now.
View Quote

When Ford comes out with a range extender EV F150, I'll probably get one.  That's the best of both worlds....battery for short trips, engine for long trips.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have loved my Lightning I got it Dec 9th. I was in wave 2 so locked in to the original price of 40K+ options for my pro. I added max tow and tow tech. So 44K. and the full 7500 government hand out. So 37500 out the door for me.

Also added a home charger 50amp and got almost 3K back handout from uncle Sam.

Only issue I have had is it loosing connection with fordpass so no remote start until you disconnect the 12v ground and re attach it.

The last over the air update was supposed to fix that.

View Quote

Damn you did really well. There are a lot of base model orders that are STILL waiting to be built. I bought a new F350 because I was towing frequently and using it for my business. My stroke changed all that And I was forced to figure out a lighter duty truck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When Ford comes out with a range extender EV F150, I'll probably get one.  That's the best of both worlds....battery for short trips, engine for long trips.
View Quote

It sounds good on paper until you realize that something like that would cost 10-15k minimum. At this time the truck doesn't allow charging while driving.

A Kubota diesel lowboy GL11000 generator would fit in the bed and it would run you $8.5k just off the shelf. With this you could charge anytime the vehicle is sitting at 40 Amps.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#44]
IRS in a half ton truck?!?

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a 0.0% chance that GM or anyone else sells a vehicle with a 200kwh battery for $39k.  By the way, I'm pretty sure the $39k figure was for the small battery, and back when a F150 SR was under $40k too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if they’ll make EV versions of the smaller trucks? Those would seem to be good ‘grocery getter’ trucks for in town.

200ish miles seems limiting, but as you said, probably good for 70+% of real world truck usage.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It sounds good on paper until you realize that something like that would cost 10-15k minimum. At this time the truck doesn't allow charging while driving.

A Kubota diesel lowboy GL11000 generator would fit in the bed and it would run you $8.5k just off the shelf. With this you could charge anytime the vehicle is sitting at 40 Amps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The extra cost would be offset by only needing half as much battery.  Why have a 200mi EV range when you can have 100mi EV range + 300 gas.

The only downside is you probably lose the frunk, but it's better than a PHEV truck, which probably wouldn't work due to ICE drivetrain and battery space conflicting with eachother.  Having an electric motor as the prime mover means you have more options to package the generator.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put down my $100 deposit for one but not sure when my local dealership will get one. Would like an ev truck even if it is in 3 years. I just bought a silverado trail boss a couple weeks ago at 0% for 3 years so buying one in 3 years would be ok, as long as it's priced right (around $41k) or I will see what other manufacturers have available.
It would be for running around town and getting kids to different events, could do it with a suv ev but perfer a truck, the lightning wouldn't be bad but for that price I would want alot more battery (range, running electronics, etc).
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice looking truck.

230 mi range would not work for me.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder if they’ll make EV versions of the smaller trucks? Those would seem to be good ‘grocery getter’ trucks for in town.

200ish miles seems limiting, but as you said, probably good for 70+% of real world truck usage.
View Quote

The Rivian is a smaller truck. Base price is 75K and they may go out of business. A big part of the cost savings in the lightning is that the body is still standard F150 parts.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top