Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The distillery retail store lists what they are selling each day on their website. Whenever the in-laws are here, they check it every day and will cancel any other planned activity to go get Eagle Rare if being sold. I really like me some Eagle Rare but not that much. None of the local stores (less than 60 miles from the distillery) can keep Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace on the shelf for over a day.

Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are excellent but Larceny is a surprisingly good, more common option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Basil Hayden is al excellent choice for a new Bourbon drinker.
View Quote

It's my wife's favorite. I like Weller but unfortunately it is not replaceable around here so I have to ration it. It really should be a $40 bottle available everywhere but it's "close to Pappy" so people hoard it and have elevated it far above what it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And they even had a storehouse burn down, correct?  Or was that a fable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buffalo trace makes good bourbon, most all of their sub-brands are good to great, especially at their normal MSRP prices.

But they became the darling of the Taters because they make the Pappy Van Winkle products, which are extremely over hyped and sought after, so the trickle down effect of everything else they make being "some such almost as good as Pappy" made the demand skyrocket.  And secondly, they really didn't have huge output numbers of their products a few years ago.  They recently added more capacity and in a few years they'll be able to return on that, but at their size and the fact they make like 30 different whiskies means they really can't keep up with their newfound popularity for each product.

Back in 2006 a tornado damaged one of their warehouses. With the barrels exposed to the elements for so long, it created a different flavor profile. No fire though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's my wife's favorite. I like Weller but unfortunately it is not replaceable around here so I have to ration it. It really should be a $40 bottle available everywhere but it's "close to Pappy" so people hoard it and have elevated it far above what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basil Hayden is al excellent choice for a new Bourbon drinker.

It's very smooth.  A great choice for women and new drinkers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been into bourbon for a long time. My advice, don't bother chasing allocated bourbon and never pay secondary market prices. If one falls into your lap, then great its your lucky day. Otherwise pick something that's available, there are so many outstanding bottles that are easy to find.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Four Roses is bottom shelf (literally) here in PA.  Figured it for budget/bum booze.  So it's pretty good?  Lots of that on the shelf here!  

I feel like I should snap a few pics of the selection at the store and let the experts tell me which to get.  I started a thread recently looking for a mixing bourbon and ended up with Woodford Double Oak.  However, then a true connoisseur came to my home and said that was way too good to mix.  So I'm still trying to figure this game out.
View Quote

I consider Four Roses decent, and in the sub $30 range it's good for the price.

Now keep in mind the most I'll pay for a bottle of Bourbon is $80, since any more than that is wasted on me. I'm not Pappy tier.

Bottom shelf to me is stuff like Rebel Yell, Kentucky Gentleman, low-end Dickel, Evan Williams green label. Mid tier is Four Roses Single Barrel, Bulleit, Smooth Ambler, High West, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, Basil Haydens. Living it up is getting a bottle of E.H. Taylor or Angel's Envy to enjoy in the glencairn glass. For mixing Jim Beam is my guy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like to come into bourbon threads just to win them and leave

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421435/9555E986-4A59-4F94-BD4B-D40C1B14F5AD_jpe-3112848.JPG
View Quote

I see that is still sealed... I like to actually drink my bourbon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buffalo Trace is a good daily sipper but it's not worth that hassle.

Move on to something more readily available.
View Quote

This.

Four Roses is underrated.

Whitmeyer's is a good buy if you can find it outside of Texas.

ETA: "state run" stores? "Allotments"? What kind of commie shit is this?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Back in 2006 a tornado damaged one of their warehouses. With the barrels exposed to the elements for so long, it created a different flavor profile. No fire though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buffalo trace makes good bourbon, most all of their sub-brands are good to great, especially at their normal MSRP prices.

But they became the darling of the Taters because they make the Pappy Van Winkle products, which are extremely over hyped and sought after, so the trickle down effect of everything else they make being "some such almost as good as Pappy" made the demand skyrocket.  And secondly, they really didn't have huge output numbers of their products a few years ago.  They recently added more capacity and in a few years they'll be able to return on that, but at their size and the fact they make like 30 different whiskies means they really can't keep up with their newfound popularity for each product.

Heaven Hill had a fire in 1996. Google it and watch the video. Rivers of blazing alcohol flowing downhill and catching other warehouses full of bourbon on fire. They said you could feel the heat a half mile away. They estimated 6% of the world's bourbon burned in one night.

Did it for you, news video here...https://www.wbaltv.com/article/this-day-in-history-heaven-hill-bourbon-distillery-burns-fire/45757611
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rum > Bourbon

Thank me!

/Thread
View Quote

Hush, you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand how my little town in bumfuckedegypt WI I can get Buffalo Trace on demand for $27/750ml or handles even from any liquor store, any time I want it, but I go to a Total Wine or some other big city liqour store and it's either bare shelf or they want some kind of premium.

Maybe I should quit pondering that orb and just stock up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's crazy how long the craze has lasted. I keep expecting/hoping that the cool kids will move on to something else, but they don't.
View Quote

There’s a lot of crazes that don’t make sense. Then I realized social media bragging points is what drives it to a large extent. Once everyone stops considering it a collection and start considering home bar inventory then it might change.  The secondary market feeds the frenzy too. Its just dumb, and there’s people that think showing rare expensive bottle is some kind of win. More power to them, the chase for exclusivity isn’t for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bourbon hipsters are everywhere.

Heck, I drank bourbon before it was cool again.
View Quote

Same, I just drink white label Jim beam! Yum
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There’s a lot of crazes that don’t make sense. Then I realized social media bragging points is what drives it to a large extent. Once everyone stops considering it a collection and start considering home bar inventory then it might change.  The secondary market feeds the frenzy too. Its just dumb, and there’s people that think showing rare expensive bottle is some kind of win. More power to them, the chase for exclusivity isn’t for me.
View Quote

I'm with you. Since moving to MT from FL, I just stick with Larceny or Wild Turkey 101. Liquor stores here are state run, selection is ok but prices are higher than FL on most stuff. Buffalo Trace is available from time to time at a decent price, so I grab some when I see it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Buff is a mixer, congrats to their marketing folks I guess.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never seen a bottle of Blanton's in the wild in the past 8 years of drinking bourbon apart from independent stores that want $200+ for a bottle. Even McKenna 10 year is very hard to find now, used to be one of my fav's for about $25 a bottle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't read all.the posts but..

In PA people actually line up outside state stores on the delivery days in hopes of getting something from Buffalo trace.

Me, I just drink plain ol wild Turkey 101 or rare breed.  There are plenty of other choices that you don't need to line up on delivery days.

You could also try knob creek, old forester and 4 roses. All are equally as good as a BT product.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Find some Ironroot.  My (current) favorite.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody who drinks Cafe Bustelo coffee wouldn’t be able to taste the difference between bourbons anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Buffalo Trace is available here.

I was gifted a bottle of Blantons yesterday
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah bourbon (and to a lesser extent tequila,) is an allocation market and has been for years. Anything BT makes is hard to find, including Buffalo Trace and my go-to Eagle Rare.

There’s plenty of good if not better bourbon neckbeards haven’t caught onto. To name a few…

Old Forrester Prohibition
Four Roses Small Batch/Single Barrel
Smokewagon small batch
Leopold Bros cask select
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Virginia is similar in that the only place you can buy liquor is state run stores.

There was a scandal a year ago, or so, where a state employee was regularly leaking what stores got what bottles ahead of their release to a guy who bribed him. That guy was then selling memberships for access to the weekly list.

People got fired and even went to jail over it, I think.
View Quote

Yep. Came to post this. https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/virginia-abc-rare-bourbon-bust-july-18-2022
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didn't read all.the posts but..

In PA people actually line up outside state stores on the delivery days in hopes of getting something from Buffalo trace.

Me, I just drink plain ol wild Turkey 101 or rare breed.  There are plenty of other choices that you don't need to line up on delivery days.

You could also try knob creek, old forester and 4 roses. All are equally as good as a BT product.

Good luck.

View Quote

IMO, all 3 of those are better than Buffalo Trace.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm glad we don't have that shit here in Tennessee.
View Quote

Don’t have what, allocated drops? Buffalo trace being one of them? It’s totally allocated now. Where in TN is it not?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Try hitting the stores in quieter sections of town.  I find more of the in-demand stuff at smaller stores vs bigger ones.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Try hitting the stores in quieter sections of town.  I find more of the in-demand stuff at smaller stores vs bigger ones.
View Quote

At a small shop in Kentucky, I bought all 5 bottles of Eagle Rare while the clerk was on the phone with her parole officer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s a great tip.  My wife scores some of her best bottles in smaller towns outside of Houston.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't get why Buffalo Trace is so hard to find.

It's decent Bourbon but nothing special imo.

Get a bottle of Wild turkey 101, a bottle of New Riff bottled in bond, a Four Roses small batch, a bottle of Knob Creek, a Makers Mark cask strength (if you can find it), and maybe a Russell's Reserve.

All of those are decent bourbons at a reasonable price and at least a few of them should be readily available.

All are good enough for sipping but not too expensive to use for a mixed drink.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After finishing my wet bar build in the fall, I've been gradually educating myself and stocking it with different liquors.  Now I'm on bourbon.  Never was a fan but I'm forcing myself to try different ones.  While I didn't experience it with vodka, gin, tequila, or scotch....bourbon seems to be a squirrely game for sure!!

Was told to try Buffalo Trace.  Didn't realize the world of intensity I was walking into!  Called a couple liquor stores looking for it last week....nope.  Walked into the liquor store near my house today and boy did I get an ear full!!

PA state controls ALL liquor sales.  So I'm used to looking on the PA state website and it shows what stores have what bottles of whatever.  Not the case with some of the more sought after bourbons!!  The manager said they took them off the website because the following was too extreme.  So now the ONLY way he could tell me to check is to call each store individually and see if they have it.  And also said unless they have it, they can't scan it in the system to see what the surrounding stores have.  

Next he said when they do get 5-6 cases of it....it's gone within 2-3 HOURS!!  I asked for more info and he said that there are "leaks" and "info comes from somewhere to let people know ahead of shipments prior to their delivery and then guys line up outside in the morning."  He said it's even worse for Blanton's!  

So not listed anywhere, people somehow know ahead of the delivery, and there's no way the state could share about acquiring a bottle short of waiting outside of each store prior to opening on both delivery days....and each store in my area has different days.  

What the actual fuck??   Does this make sense to anyone else as to why the Black Friday culture surrounds this stuff???  

Thanks!
View Quote

You just answered your own question.  People line up because they think they NEED to get a bottle that's hard to find.  It's a stupid mental game.

The same people lining up will be the first to tell you the best bourbons are the more expensive ones, when in reality they cant tell the difference between any of thos brands.  It's all a hype game where everyone is trying to get the more sought after bottles to hoard them and sell them to the next sucker waiting to pay big money because of how "good" it is.

It's all simple bourbon.  Don't get swept up in the hype.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don’t have what, allocated drops? Buffalo trace being one of them? It’s totally allocated now. Where in TN is it not?
View Quote

Quick question....what are allocated drops and how does one find out, with any level of certainty/precision, where/when something is being delivered?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bourbon is over rated. Drink Rye.
View Quote

Sazerac is better than Blantons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Woodford is better than Trace
View Quote

That's like saying Ford is better than Chevy.

It's a dumb argument and there are so many different brands and options under each one.

You like Sprite, I like Dr. Pepper.  Doesn't make one "better" than the other and it sure as fuck doesn't make one worth 10x the price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm glad we don't have that shit here in Tennessee.

Don't have state run liquor stores.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421435/9555E986-4A59-4F94-BD4B-D40C1B14F5AD_jpe-3112848.JPG
View Quote

Don't leave just yet.......

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't understand how my little town in bumfuckedegypt WI I can get Buffalo Trace on demand for $27/750ml or handles even from any liquor store, any time I want it, but I go to a Total Wine or some other big city liqour store and it's either bare shelf or they want some kind of premium.

Maybe I should quit pondering that orb and just stock up.
View Quote

Stores in my area help create fake shortages by keeping it in the back to release slowly and post release events on social media
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Depending on your state, you can get cases of BT delivered to you.  It is just hard to find depending on your area.  Pappy and btac are pretty darn good but not for anything close to secondary.

I would follow advice that has been posted.  Wild Turkey 101 and rare breed are better than nearly anything in that price range.  Four roses single barrel.  Elijah Craig.  Russell’s reserve.  Wilderness trail.  Early times BiB. List goes on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I ran into the same shit.

Went to real Irish Whiskey and never looked back.

Ironically, you can also have better luck with some alcohol websites from England who carry bourbon or 'allocated' stuff here that ends up with shipping, being cheaper than what the stores charge you here for the luxury of maybe finding a bottle of something. I've done this multiple times with harder to find whiskey like Red/Gold spot where you can't find it in stock anywhere and it was cheaper from England.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Some polite states have a bourbon lottery system. You can get monthly, quarterly and annual release dates. Enter a drawing for a place in line when the good stuff comes in.

Or just take a trip to Kentucky and load up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/DDgZCkz.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMAO!

I followed your thread when you built that room.  It turned out fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I suggest you plan a shopping trip to MD or DE.

Also, most of the fancy over hyped liquors are not worth the trouble and expense.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SC doesn't get as much allocated because of the former distributor.   It is slowly trickling in.  Best thing I can tell you is pick a decent store, and buy all your stuff there.  Get to know the employees/owner.

I quit worrying about Pappy.  It's overpriced Weller.  Russels is good also

I'm not a king of bourbon, but I hold my own.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/1000001940-3108421.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20240112_115218-3091226.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20240124_144849-3106095.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20231020_143929-2998206.jpg
View Quote

Great stash.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Buffalo Trace is a good daily sipper but it's not worth that hassle.

Move on to something more readily available.
View Quote

Yeah, what he said.

Pick up some Eagle Rare, or Pappy Van Winkle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quick question....what are allocated drops and how does one find out, with any level of certainty/precision, where/when something is being delivered?

Thanks!
View Quote

I’m on a group text from my local liquor stores. They send out a mass text when they get allocated drops. Picked up Elijah Craig 18 year and a Weller 12 year last week. It’s hit or miss
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't have state run liquor stores.
View Quote

Yep, right on that for sure
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Those talking up Woodford, it’s just not for me. Now their double parked….is very nice.
Eagle rare is damn good
Buffalo trace is sneaky good. No idea why it’s allocated….but it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I switched from Blantons to Buffalo Trace when Blantons became hard to find.

I remember when you could walk into the state store and buy 5 bottles no problem.

I still have two handles of Buffalo Trace I bought a few years back.

Been drinking a lot of Four Roses since the other two are hard to replace now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's like saying Ford is better than Chevy.

It's a dumb argument and there are so many different brands and options under each one.

You like Sprite, I like Dr. Pepper.  Doesn't make one "better" than the other and it sure as fuck doesn't make one worth 10x the price.
View Quote

No,  it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#50]
As has been mentioned Four Rose's single barrel, Old Forester 1897, 1910, 1920, Elijah Craig are good sippers.
Larceny, Makers Mark, Jim Beam are decent mixers.
Rittenhouse Rye is good for Old Fashioned's, along with Bulleit Rye and Knob Creek Rye.
If you want Buffalo Trace, drive to KY to the distillery and buy it there. You can buy as much as you want, everyday.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top