Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/26/2022 6:22:17 PM EDT
Seems like a good idea. They reportedly had head gasket problems but that was solved years ago.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine seems fine.

I actually have three boxers including the BMW and Ural.

I can’t really recommend the Ural for quality.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy with my Forester XT (FA2.0 turbo) - runs quite well.  Only thing I dislike about the vehicle is the CVT trans, which Subaru insists on using in everything.

Go manual or go elsewhere if you care about performance...
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sound is great
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
FLAT FOUR.  Stop buying into their marketing bullshit to make a fucking motor seem more amazing than sliced bread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an FR-S for ten years; aside from some early teething issues with valve springs the FA20 worked fine.

It didn't get great gas mileage, though part of that was my driving style.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm happy with my Forester XT (FA2.0 turbo) - runs quite well.  Only thing I dislike about the vehicle is the CVT trans, which Subaru insists on using in everything.

View Quote

A neighbor is selling his 09 Forester LL Bean for cheap. I’m thinking of buying it.

CARFAX says all the service was done at the 100,000 mile mark. No wrecks. No flood damage. The body is in excellent shape.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seems like a good idea. They reportedly had head gasket problems but that was solved years ago.
View Quote

Boxer engines belong in the air, not on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is hot garbage, but damn it is fun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn’t millions of VWs have boxer engines?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My son just got a new Subaru for his birthday.  He's weird.  But it's a cool car.

Attachment Attached File

I guess I have a soft spot for boxers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a 2003 Outback with 261 K miles, stuck a core in it, now it's up to 274 K when I see 350K I'll have the timing belt, water pump and pulley's done.  2.5 boxer, If it lasts that long.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well...  they should at least be air cooled
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Had 2 Subarus. Not a fan of the engines. They sound nice I suppose. Though I fail to see why you couldn't make an inline 4 sound like that if sound was you goal. Otherwise, you have double the cylinder banks. That's double the heads, double the timing components, double the camshafts, double the headgaskets, and more weight. All to end up with an engine that's harder to work on because most of the stuff that you're likely to have to mess with on an engine is now crammed up against the side of the engine bay. Ever try changing spark plugs on a Subaru?

"But muh lower center of gravity."
Meh, so what? Handling? Subaru don't handle any noticeably better than any other car in their weight class.
"But the lower hood line." Again, their hoods aren't really any lower than a car with an inline 4. Old wedge-nose Corollas and Accords have hood lines about as low as you could practically make them. All with a simpler, lighter inline 4.

So what's the actual point?
Whatever small benefits a flat 4 offers, Subaru doesn't really take advantage of anyway.

Subarus have their cool points. The engines aren't really one of them.

Edit: The brap brap sound typically associated with Subarus really has less to do with the engine and more to do with the unequal length headers. Which are also less efficient and make less power. If you want sound, you use those. If you want power, you use equal length headers. Which now make your boxer sound like pretty much any other 4 banger.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Roll down your window at a stop light and listen to a Subaru as it takes off.

Ping! Ping!
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
In my opinion they are prone to failure and I will never own one.

Horizontally opposed aircraft engines are more reliable but are also overhauled on an hourly schedule.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
They are a good design, but Subaru does not have adequate piston skirt area and they are prone to clatter and oil consumption.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FLAT FOUR.  Stop buying into their marketing bullshit to make a fucking motor seem more amazing than sliced bread.
View Quote

You’re pretty wound up about this.

Boxer is the description of piston movement.
Flat 4 is the number of cylinders.

There’s nothing any more or less amazing about using the terms “flat four,” “boxer,” or “boxer-four.” They’re all accurate.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a fan. Been through more than a few WRX's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
My '99 Subie Outback has been reliable.  It had 28K on it when I bought it in 2020.  I just rolled it over 51,500.  I did the head gaskets at 30K, as well as all the seals/gaskets/belts/water pump.   So far, the only issue is the EJ25D motor(2.5L DOHC) likes to sip a little oil.  I average a pint every 3k.

Quoted:
Roll down your window at a stop light and listen to a Subaru as it takes off.

Ping! Ping!
View Quote

It's because the mongoloids like to run 87 Octane.  The owner's book for mine says 91 preferred, 89 usable.  I run 91 in it, and no pinging.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#21]
4 Door record lap.

The sound awesome.

POV Subaru WRX STI Type RA NBR Special Nurburgring Raceway

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Subaru cross overs get shit on for being lesbian mobiles, but the cops aren't looking at you for where that turbo whine and tire squeal came from, the torque is there all the way from the the bottom of the RPM curve, and the 2021+ Eyesight system is amazing.

The NA ones are under powered.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Millions of VW's, Corvair's and Porsche's all had air cooled boxer engines, then Subaru made their water-cooled boxer engine.
I've never understood why they don't burn more oil than they do, it's hard to drain oil from the cylinder walls when the cylinders are set horizontally; I always expect the rings to get overwhelmed by the oil along the bottom side of the cylinder, but it doesn't seem to happen. Only other problem with the design is the intake runners are long compared to a "V" or inline design, but that doesn't matter much, it can be an advantage with proper tuning of their length and cross section (look at a Chrysler 300G 413 engine with the dual carb long ram setup).
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#24]
They tend to leak oil.
I see a lot of them at my center.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

They should be aircooled regardless.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
WRX Isle of Man.

Subaru Isle of Man TT 2016 New Record by Mark Higgins - WRX STI destroys the streets

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

An argument can be made about shared rod journal versus seperate journals when it comes to balancing.

Also can allow for altering firing order.

Only reason to differentiate between flat 4 and boxer, or multiples of.

All boxers are flat but not all flats are boxers.  Cranks are different.

Agreed it is overblown mostly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#30]
This one sounds mean too.

745HP Subaru Impreza EMBARRASS Porsches on Track! - OnBoard @ Monza + Speedo View!

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A neighbor is selling his 09 Forester LL Bean for cheap. I’m thinking of buying it.

CARFAX says all the service was done at the 100,000 mile mark. No wrecks. No flood damage. The body is in excellent shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The head gasket issues were NOT resolved by 09.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
4 Door record lap.

The sound awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWSfzCfGJg

View Quote

Blow off (show off?) valve is working overtime.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My '99 Subie Outback has been reliable.  It had 28K on it when I bought it in 2020.  I just rolled it over 51,500.  I did the head gaskets at 30K, as well as all the seals/gaskets/belts/water pump.   So far, the only issue is the EJ25D motor(2.5L DOHC) likes to sip a little oil.  I average a pint every 3k.

It's because the mongoloids like to run 87 Octane.  The owner's book for mine says 91 preferred, 89 usable.  I run 91 in it, and no pinging.
View Quote

I may be weird, but I don’t consider an engine that needs head gaskets at 30k reliable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a 2008 Impreza. Bought it used from a
Subaru dealer and it had no warranty. Had a bad piston after six months. Dealer replaced it at no cost to me because he said it was defective.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I may be weird, but I don't consider an engine that needs head gaskets at 30k reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be weird, but I don't consider an engine that needs head gaskets at 30k reliable.
Pfft, i never had an EJ short block make it 30k. The head gaskets are just fine for the engineered life span.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  On second thought define ground.  I prefer mine parallel to the ground.  Perpendicular to the ground is not optimal.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The head gasket issues were NOT resolved by 09.
View Quote

They were fine in my 2010 when I traded it in with 150k+ miles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I liked mine even with the bad head gasket.  It never left me stranded on road.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Had 2 Subarus. Not a fan of the engines. They sound nice I suppose. Though I fail to see why you couldn't make an inline 4 sound like that if sound was you goal. Otherwise, you have double the cylinder banks. That's double the heads, double the timing components, double the camshafts, double the headgaskets, and more weight. All to end up with an engine that's harder to work on because most of the stuff that you're likely to have to mess with on an engine is now crammed up against the side of the engine bay. Ever try changing spark plugs on a Subaru?

"But muh lower center of gravity."
Meh, so what? Handling? Subaru don't handle any noticeably better than any other car in their weight class.
"But the lower hood line." Again, their hoods aren't really any lower than a car with an inline 4. Old wedge-nose Corollas and Accords have hood lines about as low as you could practically make them. All with a simpler, lighter inline 4.

So what's the actual point?
Whatever small benefits a flat 4 offers, Subaru doesn't really take advantage of anyway.

Subarus have their cool points. The engines aren't really one of them.

Edit: The brap brap sound typically associated with Subarus really has less to do with the engine and more to do with the unequal length headers. Which are also less efficient and make less power. If you want sound, you use those. If you want power, you use equal length headers. Which now make your boxer sound like pretty much any other 4 banger.
View Quote
This inline 4 sounds pretty decent, even with the stock muffler-less exhaust.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice vehicles overall.  Underrated yet perhaps a bit overpriced.   If I was going to get a sedan a WRX would be perfect.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
163k, 22psi boost, original head gaskset on my SRT-4.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Nothing more than a VW bug engine.
Look up their attempt at F1, yup, total disaster...
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#43]
All of ours have been 100% solid. I just sold  2020 Outback XT that was 100% as well. The headmaster issues was mostly on another engine platform and was worked out years back. Now I do have to say the Croastrek is a lethargic turd but 100% reliable so far.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a 2017 Subaru. It was fine but didn’t own it long.

With the boxers I’ll say there is probably a reason why no other manufacturers(okay Porsche) do boxers.

Why have 1 headgasket when you can have 2.

Why have 2 camshafts when you can have 4.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#45]
bought a new Legacy 3.6R back in 2015, ran it to almost 80k miles with no issues other than a weak battery.  went back to bmws.

in 2020, I bought my daughter a new Impreza base model with the CVT for her 18th birthday.  the engine seems weak to me but it's just fine for her and drives fine on the freeway.  it just passed 33k miles with no issues.  no oil leaks. never had to add oil between changes.  she's doing 6k intervals and blackstone lab says the oil looks fine.  she just did a change at 32k and i didn't bother to send any oil to blackstone. i just packed up the used oil and sent it back to fcp euro for a refund.  

She does fill up once a month with 89, don't know if that helps.  I told her in the spring, before she does her next oil change, we'll do the DI cleaning.  I'm about to do that on my bmw before changing the oil.
Using the CRC GDI IVD.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#46]
2011 and newer 2.5 non turbos have gears instead of a timing belt and better/multilayer head gaskets.
These eliminate the timing belt replacement and reduce head gasket failures.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was about to type the same thing.  Totally reliable never did the thing to it besides brakes tires and head gaskets.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m on my second STI and own a forester.  Love me some Subarus.  Love the sound
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
163k, 22psi boost, original head gaskset on my SRT-4.  
View Quote

Meh, still a neon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#50]
On my 4th Subaru, no complaints — hence, 4th Subaru.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top