BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
@Aimless

Too funny, got that same exact helicopter for my son's 7th birthday this week.  Works great for us as long as theres no breeze.  Great starter flying toy.  Kinda wish it had extra rotor blades though, I can see them getting broken.  Sorry yours sounds like it might be partially defective, I saw in the Amazon reviews there were quite a few that had problems.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
These aren't for kids.  They are not hard to fly, but they are way harder than a drone or anything that stays on the ground.  A kid can learn them, but they need to develop RC skills on other things first.  Also, most of these use IR remotes, so they cannot be used outside.  These cheap ones are for indoors only.  I have the exact one in your photo and it is awesome for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/07F06E2B-5ED0-4A16-8E25-9CFF06B4E06F-2530598.png

My daughter wanted "a remote control helicopter" and my wife got her this for her birthday. I didn't see it until it was unwrapped then I groaned. We've had similar cheap remote control planes and helicopters. Maybe if Luke Skywalker invests a day learning the controls he could pilot one.

Inside it's like lightning off a bottle rocket and everyone but the "pilot" crouches behind furniture or steps into the pantry or bathroom and closes the door.

We took this one to a park and it would sometimes launch but then it would just fall to the ground. After it fell and landed on a wall around a house and just barely fell in our side we moved to an open area. But the wind was too strong. I think I did figure out that it was flying outside the really limited broadcast area of the remote and it would then stop and fall. If you ran behind it you could sometimes control it.

View Quote

ROFL, thats supposed to be one of the better ones if I remember right.  The wife got me one like 10 years ago, could not fly it to save my ass.  A friends 6 year old came over with her once, looked at it and asked if he could try.  Lil shit flew it all over the damn house for the rest of the day.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I was always into the align t-Rex series if I didn’t build it myself. If you/her want to get into flying I’d recommend buying a build kit from flighttest if you wanna go the plane route. All you need is a hot glue gun and a razor
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
We’ll first that’s an inside toy and second it’s pretty easy to control
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/07F06E2B-5ED0-4A16-8E25-9CFF06B4E06F-2530598.png

My daughter wanted "a remote control helicopter" and my wife got her this for her birthday. I didn't see it until it was unwrapped then I groaned. We've had similar cheap remote control planes and helicopters. Maybe if Luke Skywalker invests a day learning the controls he could pilot one.

Inside it's like lightning off a bottle rocket and everyone but the "pilot" crouches behind furniture or steps into the pantry or bathroom and closes the door.

We took this one to a park and it would sometimes launch but then it would just fall to the ground. After it fell and landed on a wall around a house and just barely fell in our side we moved to an open area. But the wind was too strong. I think I did figure out that it was flying outside the really limited broadcast area of the remote and it would then stop and fall. If you ran behind it you could sometimes control it.

View Quote

I've had a ton of those over the years. They've been great fun while drinking down in the gun room.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a cheapie drone. I have a couple syma x5? They're like 30 bucks. Crashed em tons of times. Remarkably durable. Much easier to fly than a heli once you initially get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the same POS my wife bought for my kids.

Should have just sprung for a mavic mini.

View Quote
Mavic mini is the shit, my civil air patrol cadets had no issue flying it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Blade Inductrix for $60. (if you can find one in stock)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/inductrix-bnf-with-safe-technology/BLH8780.html

It's the best indoor-class RC flying machine you can get IMO. Super moddable with a gigantic aftermarket of parts.

You'll probably end up spending another $50 on extra batteries and a multi-battery charger too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just get the young lady something she can grow into - you won't be sorry.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiwyoQldfo
View Quote

So, kind of a lomcevak…
But with rotary?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Helicopter and cheap don't really go together.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Get her a sim game for the computer and a controller.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one that would kinda fly for 20 seconds or so per charge.  I mainly used it for buzzing my dog when she was sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a Blade Inductrix for $60. (if you can find one in stock)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/inductrix-bnf-with-safe-technology/BLH8780.html

It's the best indoor-class RC flying machine you can get IMO. Super moddable with a gigantic aftermarket of parts.

You'll probably end up spending another $50 on extra batteries and a multi-battery charger too.
View Quote

If there’s one thing eight-year-old girls love it’s technical modding and aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had one that would kinda fly for 20 seconds or so per charge.  I mainly used it for buzzing my dog when she was sleeping.
View Quote

I had a little $20 drone that I measured success by briefly hovering and not crashing for two or three minutes.  I couldn’t really fly it, I just was in constant emergency management mode.

My GSD would be filled with insane joy chasing that thing around the yard, leaping in the air, jaws snapping shut, eyes gleaming with pure fun.

One of the reasons I bought a Mini Mavic was to hang a quick release flag for him to chase and catch.

Nope. He’s not even interested.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I fly this piece of Chinese garbage all over the house harassing a wife and chihuahua dogs. No complaints at all.
Pilot error?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

People have no idea how many tens of THOUSANDS that guy spent to get that good.

I fly fast quads and was building a new one (250-300 bucks) every two weeks on average for over a year not to mention fixing them in between complete destructions. Now I rarely damage them so last year decided I’d try helis and bought a Blade230S. Yeah. In the first battery I had broken parts and was driving to the hobby store. In the first month of light use I replaced almost every part except servos and main frame.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Do a loop de loop
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those things are like $ 500. I don't think that's a toy for an 8 year old.

They are cool though. My former neighbor in Utah had one that he showed me when he flew it sprung the neighborhood
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the same POS my wife bought for my kids.

Should have just sprung for a mavic mini.

Those things are like $ 500. I don't think that's a toy for an 8 year old.

They are cool though. My former neighbor in Utah had one that he showed me when he flew it sprung the neighborhood

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083WNCLTJ?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Give the kid this and an old cell phone.
EDIT: Yeah, the refurb SE is easily worth 3x as much. Or a refurb SE with 2 batteries if possible.
It's sort of DJI's version of an iPhone SE, except the iPhone has new brains in an old chassis, the DJI SE is the old brains and camera in the newer chassis.
Biggest drawback of the Mini SE is the radio, which isn't really a drawback if you actually obey the law and keep it in sight at all times.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225170329310
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What the hell is "growned".
View Quote

That's when a grownup groans.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I fly fast quads and was building a new one (250-300 bucks) every two weeks on average for over a year not to mention fixing them in between complete destructions. Now I rarely damage them so last year decided I’d try helis and bought a Blade230S. Yeah. In the first battery I had broken parts and was driving to the hobby store. In the first month of light use I replaced almost every part except servos and main frame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way I'd be that close to that thing is if I was behind a chain link fence or in a car.  Fucking flying lawnmowers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get her a sim game for the computer and a controller.
View Quote

Just bought RealFlight 9.5.  Getting better at the plane left is right, right is left thing when flying towards me.
My 93year old neighbor moved into assisted living and left me a few of his RC planes.  So I figured now is the time to learn to fly on thin money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mine is probably operator error although my daughter got so frustrated she let my son and I try. She doesn't like being mansplained The boy and I didn't have much luck either. We did try it outside so maybe that was part of the problem
View Quote

Like someone else said.   Those mini helicopters take a ton finess and super fine control.   The DJI Mini you purchased will be so easy to fly.   Plus it is made to fly outside unlike the helicopter you purchased.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The Tello is a blast flying around the yard.  Super easy to fly.  Well worth all the technology built into that thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

YeeHaw!

Mosquitoes on crack!
Nothing like 3D

It’s not if you stack it up…..it’s when.
$$$$
Last good crunch was probably $450ish.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

These helicopters use infrared light like your TV remote for control. They are not meant to be used outside.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top