Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2013 1:24:12 PM EDT
Bradley Cooper has been cast as Chris Kyle for  American Sniper to be directed by Steven Spielberg. While Spielberg did direct Saving Private Ryan I'm afraid this new film may be a anti-gun film where they push the liberal message of 'assault rifles belong on the battlefield.'

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/bradley-cooper-american-sniper-steven-spielberg-193205628.html
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#1]
An anti gun film, from Hollywood? No fucking way.

As for Bradley Cooper playing Kyle, no because he's a mediocre actor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't screw this up!
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
From the article: "Kyle, an expert marksman who spread his love for weapons by teaching others how to shoot, was gunned down along with a pal by a fellow discharged vet they had taken to a Texas shooting range to deal with post-traumatic stress disorder."

I don't think I will spend any cash going to see it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From the article: "Kyle, an expert marksman who spread his love for weapons by teaching others how to shoot, was gunned down along with a pal by a fellow discharged vet they had taken to a Texas shooting range to deal with post-traumatic stress disorder."

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The film is based on the book American Sniper: The Autobiography Of The Most Lethal Sniper In U.S. Military History by Kyle, Scott McEwan and Jim DeFelice. The film chronicles Texas native Kyle’s journey from rodeo cowboy to SEAL Chief with the highest number of sniper kills in U.S. military history.

It has a chance of not sucking, if Spielberg remains true to the source material, which he usually does. .
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Saving Private Ryan is the greatest movie ever filmed.  Spielberg, while a fucktard lib, holds veterans in high regard.  I doubt he will make a political statement with this film.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Saving Private Ryan is the greatest movie ever filmed.  Spielberg, while a fucktard lib, holds veterans in high regard.  I doubt he will make a political statement with this film.

You saw Munich, right? Moral equivalency between Mossad and the PLO was sort of outrageous. I don't trust him to keep this apolitical.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Neither SPR or Band of Brothers was pro-gun.  Except for the part where Dick Winters, God rest his soul, talks about the German pistol he took possession of, guns are ubiquitous rarely talked about.  There was also the part where Huebler obsessed over the Luger only to accidentally kill himself with it.  Compton later gives that Luger to another GI as a treasured gift.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You saw Munich, right? Moral equivalency between Mossad and the PLO was sort of outrageous. I don't trust him to keep this apolitical.

I think the point of Munich was that the killings took a heavy toll on everyone, including the Israelis who carried out the assassinations.  See also Sword of Gideon for another take on the Munich events.  Much nicer to the Israelis.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Like Hollywood won't use the opportunity to make some anti-gun statement, yeah, right. Let them stick to aliens and robots - the kind of shit they're familiar with - not evil guns they were taught, growing up in post war suburbia, only redneck neo-nazis and Bambi killers own.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Bradley cooper sucks. Chris kyle was way too much of a badass to be played by that loser.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, never saw it.  Is that the one about the Olympic assassinations?

ETA:  Nevermind.  Saw the other responses, and it was.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
At least Tom Cruise was not cast as Chris Kyle! That would not have shocked me
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I figured it would of been either him or Mark Wahlberg.

So, who do you all think should have gotten the job?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris Hemsworth.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Tom cruise would have been a better choice honestly. As crazy as he is I generally like his movies. I have jack reacher ready to watch. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut until I see it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris Hemsworth.

O yea that's a good choice. Vin diesel...... lol not srs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither SPR or Band of Brothers was pro-gun.  Except for the part where Dick Winters, God rest his soul, talks about the German pistol he took possession of, guns are ubiquitous rarely talked about.  There was also the part where Huebler obsessed over the Luger only to accidentally kill himself with it.  Compton later gives that Luger to another GI as a treasured gift.

You know that shit actually happened, don't you?

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't screw this up!

Cooper...

Spielburg...

To late.

I like Cooper but he is more of a funny type to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#20]
At least there's a chance that BC could be pro-gun.  I say this because he said that he really liked the M4 and learning to handle it when he did the A-Team movie (I watched the extras on the disc).
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
At least there's a chance that BC could be pro-gun.  I say this because he said that he really liked the M4 and learning to handle it when he did the A-Team movie (I watched the extras on the disc).

BC is pro gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope Kyle's widow got well paid because they are going to fuck this up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bradley cooper sucks. Chris kyle was way too much of a badass to be played by that loser.

Perhaps "Stone Cold" Steve Austin?  

John
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hope Kyle's widow got well paid because they are going to fuck this up.

This.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who's going to play the Jew?
Spielberg always has a Jew

Gilbert Gottfried?
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tom cruise would have been a better choice honestly. As crazy as he is I generally like his movies. I have jack reacher ready to watch. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut until I see it.

Tom Cruise is one hell of a great actor.  I dislike him, but the sob cab act.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just saw "The Place Beyond the Pines" last weekend.  BC has a little more acting range than I had originally expected.  I think he'll do ok.  It'll be up to Spielberg not to fuck it up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BC is pro gun.

Cool.  Now I'm even more glad that I bought the A-Team on blu-ray.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I think Cooper could be alright if he's given the right material.  Not my first choice, but hopefully he can make it work.

I'm more worried about Spielberg.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BC is pro gun.

Really? I've heard otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Lets boycott the fuck out of this movie
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BC is pro gun.

IIRC not too long ago somebody in the BHO admin approached BC to do an anti-gun documentary or somesuch. Be on your guard with this actor.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

BC is pro gun.

IIRC not too long ago somebody in the BHO admin approached BC to do an anti-gun documentary or somesuch. Be on your guard with this actor.  

On that second note, Lets boycott the fuck again out of this movie. Veterans Especially -  This is horseshit
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
pro gun?

SON OF A BITCH!  

I vote for Chris Hemsworth as Kyle and Milius as writer and director!
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Hope Kyles widow gets the money she deserves.  As far as movies and Hollyweird I honestly don't give a fuck what they do, fuck `em.  I got my principles that's all that matters to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

pro gun?

Oh how do I hope they do not fuck up this movie
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BC is pro gun.

Prove it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#41]
After reading this article I can't believe how arrogant Cooper is. Sucks that Chris is dead, really does.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/08/bradley-cooper-american-sniper-chris-kyle-biopic/
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I think Cooper could be alright if he's given the right material.  Not my first choice, but hopefully he can make it work.

Spielberg is producing this one, not directing. At least, he hasn't been named as the director.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The film is based on the book American Sniper: The Autobiography Of The Most Lethal Sniper In U.S. Military History by Kyle, Scott McEwan and Jim DeFelice. The film chronicles Texas native Kyle’s journey from rodeo cowboy to SEAL Chief with the highest number of sniper kills in U.S. military history.

It has a chance of not sucking, if Spielberg remains true to the source material, which he usually does. .

Much respect for Chris Kyle and what he did while serving our country.  However, his book really sucked!! One of the few books I have ever had to skip large portions of, especially when his wife was "writing"

Will be taking a pass on this movie regardless.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd rather see an unknown cast as CK.  Also, Spielberg isn't the director that he used to be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spielberg is producing this one, not directing. At least, he hasn't been named as the director.  

Spielberg IS directing, at least according to this...
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#46]
If they do make it as "bad ass" as the book,there's a good chance  it'll come off as a mockery-or worse.

Likewise,if he outright says in the movie "I don't give a flying fuck about Iraqis" etc,some will see it as being an anti-war movie and others will see the hazing and bar fights as  SEALs being shown as unhinged sociopaths.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Much respect for Chris Kyle and what he did while serving our country.  However, his book really sucked!! One of the few books I have ever had to skip large portions of, especially when his wife was "writing"

Will be taking a pass on this movie regardless.

I wasn't to thrilled about the family life stuff too, but I thought the rest of the book was pretty good.

Lone survivor was , good but very sad.  I wish only the best for Mr. Luttrel, and also the Kyle family.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Uhhh.. Band of Brothers was a true story, all of that stuff actually happened.  As far as the part I bolded... was this a story about some paratroopers in WW2 or the guns they are carrying?  Why should they spend time talking about guns? lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#49]
At least it isn't Marky Mark.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spielberg IS directing, at least according to this...

Yep, looks like he is: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielbergs-next-movie-american-451011

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top