User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ProTip: This thread is about FRT Triggers and the AFT.

Thank you.
View Quote

Arfcoms favorite saying, "go be poor somewhere else"

My variant is

GO BE SCARED SOMEWHERE ELSE
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Technical discussion of the FRT and FRT setups can be found here
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Was going to ask if there were any updates as we head into Friday.  (i.e. what judge, arguments, etc.) but it looks like this is about the best that's out there....

The ATF is Trying To Use After Market Trigger To Expand The Definition of A Machine Gun

Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Chevron deference needs to be overturned.  Due process is supposed to protect life, liberty, and property.  Continuing to allow executive branch agencies to deprive people of property without due process will not turn out well for anyone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chevron deference needs to be overturned.  Due process is supposed to protect life, liberty, and property.  Continuing to allow executive branch agencies to deprive people of property without due process will not turn out well for anyone.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone got a source for updates? Wasn't court date today?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do believe that it is today.
I'm sure that it will take a bit of time for information to get to us.
Hoping for good news but the atf does what it wants w\o having to answer to anyone.
They'll play a video and say "I'ts firing faster than a bump stock which we banned so it's an fa mg."
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hoping for good news but the atf does what it wants w\o having to answer to anyone.
They'll play a video and say "I'ts firing faster than a bump stock which we banned so it's an fa mg."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except their bump stock ban got stayed in the 6th circuit, so they have to actually back up their bullshit now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Except their bump stock ban got stayed in the 6th circuit, so they have to actually back up their bullshit now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Latest updates I found include the ATF using a zip tie during testing, acting as a spring, to try to say it's a MG. RB says by adding zip tie, which they manipulated during firing, makes test invalid as they added a part etc.

ATF opened a Grandy jury investigation in West Texas after RB told them to pound sand. RB says its just attempt to get customer list.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Latest updates I found include the ATF using a zip tie during testing, acting as a spring, to try to say it's a MG. RB says by adding zip tie, which they manipulated during firing, makes test invalid as they added a part etc.

ATF opened a Grandy jury investigation in West Texas after RB told them to pound sand. RB says its just attempt to get customer list.
View Quote

Don't all the aft determination letters say something to the effect of 'any modifications to the [xyz] as tested may/may not change it's status as a [nfa item]'? I would think that a stack of those letters with disclaimers would be beneficial to RB's argument.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

FATF.  That sounds like their usual testing shenanigans where they choose their intended outcome and then test until they achieve it.  Also, the customer list is absolutely a target.  Rare Breed has a bunch of money and expertise to defend a case, but the purchasers don’t.  If they can threaten a few purchasers with criminal prosecutions or get the courts to agree the part is a machine gun, then they’ll achieve their goals.  Piece of shit bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have came close to buying one of these dozens of times this year. Today should be the day I FO!

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds an awful lot like adding a shoestring to a semiauto rifle's trigger and charging handle-in which case ATF classified the string as the MG, not the FCG.

But who needs to be consistent when you can just railroad everybody anyway?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sounds an awful lot like adding a shoestring to a semiauto rifle's trigger and charging handle-in which case ATF classified the string as the MG, not the FCG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like a DIAS is the machine gun, not the FCG. A Lighning Link is the machine gun, not the FCG. A Quick Connector is the machine gun, not the FCG.

I know how the FRT works. I'm having a hard time figuring out how a zip tie was applied that is going to alter the function of the thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just like a DIAS is the machine gun, not the FCG. A Lighning Link is the machine gun, not the FCG. A Quick Connector is the machine gun, not the FCG.

I know how the FRT works. I'm having a hard time figuring out how a zip tie was applied that is going to alter the function of the thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simple. By using a nice thin flexible one they could easily set it up so that the zip tie can be "fixed in position" and "continuously fire with one function" - that'll be the argument anyway.

Never mind that the flexible nature of such a ziptie would absolutely act as a spring and store energy from each reset to pull the trigger again. Never mind that at all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Simple. By using a nice thin flexible one they could easily set it up so that the zip tie can be "fixed in position" and "continuously fire with one function" - that'll be the argument anyway.

Never mind that the flexible nature of such a ziptie would absolutely act as a spring and store energy from each reset to pull the trigger again. Never mind that at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, wrapped around the grip and trigger? Yup, its the boot lace shit again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A "C" clamp should be a valid test. It will prevent the trigger from moving forward. The C clamp won't store energy like a piece of flexible/elastic plastic.

On a MG, it would continue to fire. On a semi/FRT, one shot and done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A "C" clamp should be a valid test. It will prevent the trigger from moving forward. The C clamp won't store energy like a piece of flexible/elastic plastic.

On a MG, it would continue to fire. On a semi/FRT, one shot and done.

If you write it in law that it must be a c clamp do you know what you'll get? A flimsy plastic one with the same result.

Make it so it has to be such and such spec steel and so on - what do you get? A clamp so poorly attached to the gun but excellently held in place by a flexible setup with the same damn result.

They're not looking to make an honest determination. They're looking to back up a decision already made.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, wrapped around the grip and trigger? Yup, its the boot lace shit again.

Are you surprised? You shouldn't be. Anything - anything at all - can be called a MG. 922(o) was dangerous in that it gave the ATF this eventual power to unilaterally ban and confiscate private property.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

By that same logic, that means the zip tie would be the MG, not the FCG, correct?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you write it in law that it must be a c clamp do you know what you'll get? A flimsy plastic one with the same result.

Make it so it has to be such and such spec steel and so on - what do you get? A clamp so poorly attached to the gun but excellently held in place by a flexible setup with the same damn result.

They're not looking to make an honest determination. They're looking to back up a decision already made.

Are you surprised? You shouldn't be. Anything - anything at all - can be called a MG. 922(o) was dangerous in that it gave the ATF this eventual power to unilaterally ban and confiscate private property.
View Quote

Not surprised, just pointing out the inconsistency. Probably completely unnecessary.

Pretty clear that the ATF will contrive a scenario and place themselves on whichever side suits their agenda at the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

By that same logic, that means the zip tie would be the MG, not the FCG, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF:
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the way I see it. Its the added part that causes the function of a semi auto FCG to be altered.

But the ATF method on the FRT would cause the gun to start firing as soon as a round was chambered if the safety is off or as soon as the safety is flipped to fire if a round is chambered with it on. I know they aren't concerned with safety or practicality, just that it works, but that's still a separate piece added to an FCG that is semi auto without their modification.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Way back and long ago a person submitted a Sten MK II w\o a fcg, it just slam fired as an open bolt mg does.
His argument was that there was no trigger to pull or manipulate.
A brilliant strategy but he lost.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you’re going to add a mechanical device (zip tie), you’re changing the original nature of that device into a new/completely different device.  

I could “potentially” polish a standard FCG hammer /disconnector interface. Does that “potential action” mean every AR ever made should now be be considered a MG?

The only way the AFT can argue a law, is by breaking it.

Clown World
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you’re going to add a mechanical device (zip tie), you’re changing the original nature of that device into a new/completely different device.  

I could “potentially” polish a standard FCG hammer /disconnector interface. Does that “potential action” mean every AR ever made should now be be considered a MG?

Clown World
View Quote

They're not arguing law, they're arguing lawlessness.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what RB said as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The ATF in emails said it was an MG before they even tested it. Then said they couldn't do anything formally until they had a unit in hand. They clearly setup a test to get the results they wanted. RB articulated that very clearly In the court docs.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you're going to add a mechanical device (zip tie), you're changing the original nature of that device into a new/completely different device.  

I could "potentially" polish a standard FCG hammer /disconnector interface. Does that "potential action" mean every AR ever made should now be be considered a MG?

Clown World
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to add a mechanical device (zip tie), you're changing the original nature of that device into a new/completely different device.  

I could "potentially" polish a standard FCG hammer /disconnector interface. Does that "potential action" mean every AR ever made should now be be considered a MG?

Clown World
I don't think it's adding a part. They are using the zip tie as a substituent for trigger finger, to suggest one continuous trigger pull. The zip tie is acting like a rubber band. On reset it stretches. Then returns to it original size, pulling the trigger.

It's their same BS "trigger pull" declaration.The RFT must reset, or it cannot fire. The trigger must function again to fire.

ETA: IF they are using the zip tie wrapped around grip\frame and trigger, to pull trigger. Unless they did something internally.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The trigger must function again to fire..
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

My point is; everything is readily convertible if you’re willing to break the law.

The AFT is perverting RB’s good faith design by breaking the law and modifying it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Should have bought one to support the fight now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Rare Breed manages to win the case, I will buy their products for having balls to fight back against AFT.

Should have bought one to support the fight now.

I did, the fight has been engaged

FBATFE
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Where are these elastic zip ties?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

(of an object or material) able to resume its normal shape spontaneously after contraction, dilatation, or distortion.

Sometimes words is hard, but if you’re having a difficult time figuring out what’s going on there are many good resources for expanding ones vocabulary.  Use the device you are on to look up the word(s) you struggle with.  We used to have to use a real dictionary, but now we don’t.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're pretty much all a bit elastic.

When you only need .1" of flex, most plastics are going to deform and return to shape as the pressure on the trigger changes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever handled a zip tie? They don't like tight bends. If you put one around the trigger at the correct tension the stiffness will be enough to pull the trigger, but not enough to resist the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/6578B03F-C6AB-44D2-9829-8851B7318BE5-478.gif

My point is; everything is readily convertible if you’re willing to break the law.

The AFT is perverting RB’s good faith design by breaking the law and modifying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The trigger must function again to fire..

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/6578B03F-C6AB-44D2-9829-8851B7318BE5-478.gif

If a shoelace can be a machine gun, wouldn’t that make the zip tie a machine gun in this test?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If a shoelace can be a machine gun, wouldn't that make the zip tie a machine gun in this test?
View Quote

Actually, no.

Because the Zip Tie wasn't a part designed and intended solely and exclusively or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun

It's a fucking zip tie.

The shoestring machine gun was a dumb ruling too. It's literally the AFT not playing by its own rules.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually, no.

Because the Zip Tie wasn't a part designed and intended solely and exclusively or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun

It's a fucking zip tie.

The shoestring machine gun was a dumb ruling too. It's literally the AFT not playing by its own rules.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a shoelace can be a machine gun, wouldn't that make the zip tie a machine gun in this test?

Actually, no.

It's a fucking zip tie.

IDK, I think RBT stepped on their junk.
68. Another reason that this test is faulty and intentionally misleading is the addition of a zip-tie. Under 26 U.S.C.  5845(b) when SMITH installed the zip-tie he added a part and thereby he manufactured a "machinegun".  The zip-tie acts as a spring  that  repeatedly  causes  the  pulling  of  the  trigger,  i.e.,  SMITH  is  adding  an additional  part  to  the  gun,  that  does  not  exist  on  the  FRT-15  to  try  and  make  the FRT-15 meet the definition of a "machinegun".  This  is  really  no  different  thanSMITH adding any other part to the firearm, such as an auto sear, as described above,
in order to obtain the results the ATF had predetermined.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Adding a zip tie makes the zip tie the new trigger.

You pull the tail taught, and that is the pull. The zip tie being tightened is the single function.

Adding a new part (zip tie) constitutes manufacturing a machine gun.

In my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Adding a zip tie makes the zip tie the new trigger.

You pull the tail taught, and that is the pull. The zip tie being tightened is the single function.

Adding a new part (zip tie) constitutes manufacturing a machine gun.

In my humble opinion.
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
IDK, I think RBT stepped on their junk.

View Quote

If they stepped on their junk it is only because their junk is huge.

Regarding the spring part, IIRC it was the spring that had to be disposed of from the Akins device to render it NOT a machine gun.

I'm going to guess that RBT is setting them up with refering to the zip tie as a spring.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Bear with me here:

The National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. 5845(b) defines “machine gun” to include any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon to shoot automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

That doesn't say what has to be reloaded. In the past I think most have taken that to mean ejecting and putting another round in the chamber. That also would cover/exclude the older pump shotguns that didn't have a trigger disconnector.

Load - a weight or source of pressure borne by someone or something

It the case of the RBFRT, and bumpstocks for that matter, the 'reload' is being done manually through the finger on the FRT -and the arm on the bumpstock.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bear with me here:

The National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. 5845(b) defines “machine gun” to include any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon to shoot automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

That doesn't say what has to be reloaded. In the past I think most have taken that to mean ejecting and putting another round in the chamber. That also would cover/exclude the older pump shotguns that didn't have a trigger disconnector.

It the case of the RBFRT, and bumpstocks for that matter, the 'reload' is being done manually through the finger on the FRT -and the arm on the bumpstock.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I don't think you are wrong with what you are saying here.  But you may be missing the point that the FATF takes the square peg and does whatever they need to it, the hole, or the person looking at the process....until it fits in their round hole.  

Of course a bump stock isn't a machine gun.  It's a stock.  The FRT isn't a machine gun.  It's a trigger.  I always thought an interesting conversation would be....

Supervisor: Agent, give me your sidearm.  Today, you trade up to a machine gun!!
Agent:  Cool!  
Supervisor: And here you go!  *Hands agent a bump stock*
Agent: Uhhh.... this is a piece of plastic!  Give me my pistol back.
Supervisor: Nope!  That's a machine gun!  Now go kick some doors in!

Anyone ever think such a discussion would ever happen?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't think you are wrong with what you are saying here.  But you may be missing the point that the FATF takes the square peg and does whatever they need to it, the hole, or the person looking at the process....until it fits in their round hole.  

Of course a bump stock isn't a machine gun.  It's a stock.  The FRT isn't a machine gun.  It's a trigger.  I always thought an interesting conversation would be....

Supervisor: Agent, give me your sidearm.  Today, you trade up to a machine gun!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear with me here:

Thoughts?

The first part:

The last part:
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If a shoelace can be a machine gun, wouldn’t that make the zip tie a machine gun in this test?
View Quote

IMO, you’re creating an entirely new (unrelated) MG when you add, subtract or modify parts.  You can’t make a change and then treat it as if it’s the same thing.

Using Clown World AFT logic, every AR should be deemed a MG because you could “potentially” add polishing Flitz to the disconnector.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

IMO, you’re creating an entirely new (unrelated) MG when you add, subtract or modify parts.  You can’t make a change and then treat it as if it’s the same thing.

Using Clown World AFT logic, every AR should be deemed a MG because you could “potentially” add polishing Flitz to the disconnector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Is my understanding of the current status correct?  RBT is filing for an injunction in Florida federal court to stop ATF action, ATF is convening a grand jury in Texas to subpoena customer list from RBT?

Any dates assigned to these actions?  Who's likely to win this race?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Grand Jury in TX?

i have been summoned for 3 months in Dallas Countyfor a Grand Jury

ill put in a good word

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
IANAL; why is the grand jury coming from Texas?
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top