Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the family’s statement in its entirety:

For over twenty-four years, we have waited for this bittersweet day. It is impossible to put into words what this day means for our family; we pray it is the first step to bringing our daughter home. While Kristin’s loving spirit will always live in our hearts, our life without her hugs, laughs and smiles is a heartache that never abates. The knowledge that a father and son, despite our desperate pleas for help, could have withheld this horrible secret for nearly 25 years, denying us the chance to lay our daughter to rest, is an unrelenting and unforgiving pain. We now put our faith in the justice system and move forward, comforted in the knowledge that Kristin has been held in the hearts of so many and that she has not been forgotten.

We honor Kristin today and those who worked with unparalleled tenacity and dedication to bring us to this day. Without Kristin in our life, there will never be justice, but we will pray for peace. Unfortunately, the indifference and lack of resolve we experienced early on set the course for many years.

However, when Sheriff Parkinson took office in 2011, he made a promise that Kristin’s disappearance would be one of his top priorities. We are here today because he has remained true to his word. We have kept the faith; never given up; and fully placed our trust and support with him and his team.

The task he and his team accepted was unprecedented in volume and scope, yet they met every setback and challenge with resolve and an unequaled commitment to Kristin and our family.

Our gratitude to Sheriff Parkinson and his department for their professionalism, compassion and perseverance is without measure. We are forever grateful for Detective Clint Cole, who joined ‘Team Kristin’ in 2017 and brought new oxygen to Team Kristin and kept our hopes alive. We would not be here today without his professionalism, perseverance and dedication. His heart and commitment are without equal.

We would be remiss if we did not acknowledge the exceptional skills, indefatigable work and unselfish dedication of Christopher Lambert, who produced the “Your Own Backyard” podcast. Chris, along with four incredible angels (C, J, J, and J), balanced Kristin on their shoulders while lightening our burden and held our hearts and hopes with fierce resolve and commitment. There simply are ‘no words’!

We also wish to extend our deepest gratitude for all those on the SLOSO team, including Commander Nate Paul, Detective Cole, and their incredible and dedicated support staff. To each law enforcement agency that assisted the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Department with their extraordinary efforts, our gratitude is immeasurable. Each gave 110% to ensure that this day would come.

We are pleased that Kristin’s case has now moved to the District Attorney’s Office, where we know we will be in good hands, and look forward to the day when there will be ‘justice’ for Kristin.

To HEAL, we must REMEMBER not only Kristin but also every heart that carried Kristin and our family in theirs! Kristin’s story is ultimately one of unwavering commitment, resilience and immense gratitude.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If one doesn't own a boat, then you've got to rent one and somehow sneak a body onto the boat at a likely crowded marina during business hours.

Scott Peterson has his own boat and how did that one work out for him?

Last year, there was a body found in a container in a lake in Kentucky. They ID the victim and it was a woman missing from Texas. First thing the cops did was check the local rental marinas to see if anyone from Texas had rented a boat recently. Sure enough, one guy had and they had him locked up with a confession within 24 hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That close to the ocean...why wouldn't the body be put into the water?

If one doesn't own a boat, then you've got to rent one and somehow sneak a body onto the boat at a likely crowded marina during business hours.

Scott Peterson has his own boat and how did that one work out for him?

Last year, there was a body found in a container in a lake in Kentucky. They ID the victim and it was a woman missing from Texas. First thing the cops did was check the local rental marinas to see if anyone from Texas had rented a boat recently. Sure enough, one guy had and they had him locked up with a confession within 24 hours.
Some state rep or some such from NJ tried the same with similar results.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The neighbor saying the yard was being dug up late at night and he saw two men carry a heavy object rolled in carpet out to the hole and bury it coupled with the roommates testimony that the murder suspect told him he killed her and he had a black eye and scratches on his knees and he had two different stories about the last time ime he saw her is not enough evidence for a search warrant to dig the backyard long ago?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The neighbor saying the yard was being dug up late at night and he saw two men carry a heavy object rolled in carpet out to the hole and bury it coupled with the roommates testimony that the murder suspect told him he killed her and he had a black eye and scratches on his knees and he had two different stories about the last time ime he saw her is not enough evidence for a search warrant to dig the backyard long ago?
View Quote

holy run-on sentence batman
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They did have a search warrant to dig up his mother's backyard, but they declined not to dig up the yard during the search because they didn't want to pay for any repairs from property damage if nothing was found. This was back in the 90s or early 2000s, I don't feel like listening to that episode of the podcast again to get the exact year.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

holy run-on sentence batman
View Quote
I know. Yet, I couldn't stop even as I wrote in full agreement with what you would say.

Periods are too exhausting tonight.

But I bet you have a clear comprehension of exactly what I meant.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They did have a search warrant to dig up his mother's backyard, but they declined not to dig up the yard during the search because they didn't want to pay for any repairs from property damage if nothing was found. This was back in the 90s.
View Quote
I thought something like that. Then said, nah that couldn't cost that much. And in any case, no one with a search warrant with those facts wouldn't use it. I assumed they couldn't get one.

I am kind of disturbed by that revelation.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought something like that. Then said, nah that couldn't cost that much. And in any case, no one with a search warrant with those facts wouldn't use it. I assumed they couldn't get one.

I am kind of disturbed by that revelation.
View Quote

The Flores family sued the Smart family for harassment, that opened them up to discover. The families agreed to a ground penetrating radar search but only on the condition they only searched the east side of the yard. The west side of the yard has the newer concrete that was poured after Kristin disappeared. The podcast is very well done and informative.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]

If convicted, he still has time to live a long time in prison, hopefully getting made sweet prison love too.

He's been free longer then that poor girl was alive.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They did have a search warrant to dig up his mother's backyard, but they declined not to dig up the yard during the search because they didn't want to pay for any repairs from property damage if nothing was found. This was back in the 90s or early 2000s, I don't feel like listening to that episode of the podcast again to get the exact year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mighty fine police work there.

The “Forensic Files” TV show is rife with similar examples of police incompetence, sometimes it seems like they only catch the murderers who bring the body and a signed confession in to the station.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife is listening to the podcast.

Holy shit.

This case is completely jacked up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mighty fine police work there.

The “Forensic Files” TV show is rife with similar examples of police incompetence, sometimes it seems like they only catch the murderers who bring the body and a signed confession in to the station.
View Quote

Isn’t the main takeaway from “the first 48” to just STFU?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"I knew we were fucked when that old VW microbus pulled up in our driveway, and four kids jumped out with a huge fucking Great Dane...."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Flores family and Paul Flores have been initial suspects for years....the beginning really. The Smart family has sued them, police have placed them “in custody” multiple times and had their property searched repeatedly.

Wonder what gave this time?

"I knew we were fucked when that old VW microbus pulled up in our driveway, and four kids jumped out with a huge fucking Great Dane...."

I know this is a sad topic, but dammit ya got me...
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Periods are too exhausting tonight.

View Quote

My wife says that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that it true that is absolutely insane. The poor parents could have found out their daughters fate and not suffered for two more decades.

The criminals should be made to suffer slowly for 25 years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Shame nobody dies in California anymore. I'm not throwing stones, we don't execute them in Virginia nowadays either.

No crazy "this is what I'd do" hyperbole, I'm just a firm believer that people that kill people need to die. Do it humanely, by all means. I have no thirst for projecting pain, but there's plenty of people who have forfeited their own lives through their actions.

Make the standard high, I agree. Government killing people needs to be watched and cannot go unchecked. But if there's solid evidence, irrefutable evidence, we don't need that person in our society any longer
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Flores family sued the Smart family for harassment, that opened them up to discover. The families agreed to a ground penetrating radar search but only on the condition they only searched the east side of the yard. The west side of the yard has the newer concrete that was poured after Kristin disappeared.
View Quote

Well.....that's not suspicious at all!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My wife says that.
View Quote

Funny, She's never said that to me.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shame nobody dies in California anymore. I'm not throwing stones, we don't execute them in Virginia nowadays either.

No crazy "this is what I'd do" hyperbole, I'm just a firm believer that people that kill people need to die. Do it humanely, by all means. I have no thirst for projecting pain, but there's plenty of people who have forfeited their own lives through their actions.

Make the standard high, I agree. Government killing people needs to be watched and cannot go unchecked. But if there's solid evidence, irrefutable evidence, we don't need that person in our society any longer
View Quote
Remember the story from Santa Cruz, CA about the little girl that went missing? This was a couple of years ago.

Artist/hippie community near the Costco. Found her body in a dumpster with her scooter.

They are charging the fucker as a minor. 4 years and out due to being 15 at the time.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, pretty much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone talked I assume.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#23]
This is great news and a long time coming.  I went to Cal Poly and lived in a neighboring dorm to Kristin when she disappeared.  I was interviewed by the FBI twice as some of my friends were at the party she had attended.  So glad to hear this case has broken loose.  This has been a nightmare for the family and the San Luis Obispo community.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is great news and a long time coming.  I went to Cal Poly and lived in a neighboring dorm to Kristin when she disappeared.  I was interviewed by the FBI twice as some of my friends were at the party she had attended.  So glad to hear this case has broken loose.  This has been a nightmare for the family and the San Luis Obispo community.
View Quote
This was a big deal at the time and still is.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Funny, She's never said that to me.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Homicide Life on the Street: The Box
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Remember the story from Santa Cruz, CA about the little girl that went missing? This was a couple of years ago.

Artist/hippie community near the Costco. Found her body in a dumpster with her scooter.

They are charging the fucker as a minor. 4 years and out due to being 15 at the time.

View Quote

That happens a lot. There are the DC Uber killers, they'll be out by 18 and probably done with parole by 21.  There was a family destroyer here in NM. Killed 5 out of 7 family members when he was 15. Nehemiah Griego was supposed to get out at 21 but the prosecutors argued that he was still a threat and he's doing another 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Police news conference said they found items at a couple different locations linking to the case.
View Quote

Perhaps it is one of those cases where they went back to first principles and looked at the whole thing again, getting it right the 2nd time around.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Isn't the main takeaway from "the first 48" to just STFU?
View Quote
Yes. That and people kill other people for some very trivial reasons.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Update today from press conference with the prosecutor.    The dorm room may have been the crime scene and there may be more victims.

Arrests made in disappearance of Kristin Smart
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
apparently they searched the place a month ago and towed a Volkswagen Cabriolet away

View Quote

My daughter trains cadaver dogs. She is working on a degree in forensic anthropology. She uses her dog Rambeaux to help find slave graveyards. It’s amazing dog will mark on trees that have grown out of graves.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes. She was abducted from her bedroom.

The media would confuse the cases on occasion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't there another girl named Smart, from UT or somewhere, that as kidnapped around the same time?
Don't let my daughter marry a man named Smart, it's for her own safety. Check.
Yes. She was abducted from her bedroom.

The media would confuse the cases on occasion.

That's who I thought of when I saw the title.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My daughter trains cadaver dogs. She is working on a degree in forensic anthropology. She uses her dog Rambeaux to help find slave graveyards. It’s amazing dog will mark on trees that have grown out of graves.
View Quote

What breeds does she train?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update today from press conference with the prosecutor.    The dorm room may have been the crime scene and there may be more victims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkKioCllWgg
View Quote

More victims wouldn’t surprise me even a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Murder is a grown up thing-so if you do it you are a grown up-so charge them as an adult.
I worked in a tdcj intake prison we had 17 yr olds in for big boy crimes on the regular.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I listened to the podcast when it came out but a few days ago when news was coming I just re-listened to it.  Ruben, the father stinks of guilt.  His answers during the deposition are so awkward.  He was trying to hard, and IMO not succeeding, in trying to be careful about his answers or try and outsmart the police.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top