Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Y’all do realize this whole thing is set up a legal attack on US social media and their manipulative practices. Tiktok was an easy target. If taking them on works then you have precedent when you go after FB and Twatter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

China virus has killed 66x more Americans than 9/11 but we still gotta stick up for that CCP app that censors vids about Tibet and Tiananmen Square.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whole lot of Chicom loving in here.

Yeah, the usual suspects love them some Chinese spyware and are concerned about Trump and the election.

China virus has killed 66x more Americans than 9/11 but we still gotta stick up for that CCP app that censors vids about Tibet and Tiananmen Square.

We'll fight it with more censorship then?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The grudge is one of the reasons though. Just like his grudge against bump stocks.
View Quote

That would have been the NRA good idea fairy whispering in his ear. See my avatar, which still has not changed or been withdrawn by Wayne and the suits. The NRA supports additional restrictions on automatic firearms. Openly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whole lot of Chicom loving in here.

Yeah, the usual suspects love them some Chinese spyware and are concerned about Trump and the election.

Start your own U.S. based Tik Tok.

I don't give a fuck about censoring China.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't see this going the way he think it will go.
View Quote

This.  He needs as much of the younger vote as he can get, and it raises some questionable 1A issues that will upset the more libertarian minded who were on the fence.  I have no issue telling China to go fuck itself, and TikTok is basically a thinly veiled data harvesting tool.  But we have reached a concerning point in our constitution when a president can unilaterally ban a speech platform, even if it is one as corrupted as TikTok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, really.  

Even if it isn’t legal precedent it is still a social one that puts SM platforms on notice.

The POTUS deals with censorship pretty much everyday on Twitter.  If tiktok gets slammed for it then so can Twitter.  

There has to be a line drawn that determines if SM like Twitter are publishers that have editorial control or if they are a open communication tool.

They currently act like publishers. If you write something they don’t like they have editorial control.

I want you to think of it this way.

You are holding a conversation with a friend over the phone and Verizon doesn’t like what you are saying so they cut off you words or connection. Twitter and FB do this very thing. That makes them publishers and not a communication tool. Yet they tout they are a community.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
It takes 5 seconds to bypass what the government plans on doing.

Biden is hated on tik tok.

70%+ of videos are pro trump and with the way the system works, you can't easily block right wing content. Or content thwt hurts your feels.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't say this is gonna hurt Trump that much.  I would venture to guess the majority of folks using Tic Tok don't vote because they're not old enough.  If they were going to vote for Trump, but decide not to simply because they can't get onto Tic Tok, we've got way more fucking problems than we could ever hope for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can't say this is gonna hurt Trump that much.  I would venture to guess the majority of folks using Tic Tok don't vote because they're not old enough.  If they were going to vote for Trump, but decide not to simply because they can't get onto Tic Tok, we've got way more fucking problems than we could ever hope for.
View Quote

Or maybe someone is on the fence and has been hearing "Trump is a dictator" for 4+ years, and then he bans their favorite social media app which cements in their mind "CNN was right, Trump is a dictator"
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#11]
People on a firearms website (one that is named after an "assault rifle" no less) applauding blanket censorship based on feelings....crazy.  Fuck freedom I guess.  I hope that everyone is happy when we use emotion and public opinion to ban scary guns.  People who talk about spying and censorship while surfing from chrome and using Gmail and facebook.  Crazy world.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People on a firearms website (one that is named after an "assault rifle" no less) applauding blanket censorship based on feelings....crazy.  Fuck freedom I guess.  I hope that everyone is happy when we use emotion and public opinion to ban scary guns.  People who talk about spying and censorship while surfing from chrome and using Gmail and facebook.  Crazy world.
View Quote

I expect this site and most others like it will be gone (banned or completely deplatformed) within the next decade.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Guys, this is only about the apps. The websites are not affected by this
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guys, this is only about the apps. The websites are not affected by this
View Quote

Is it that big of a leap from banning download of an app to banning access to a website?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I expect this site and most others like it will be gone (banned or completely deplatformed) within the next decade.
View Quote

This is just one of the concerning precedents that this action sets.  Ya.  TikTok sucks and is a thinly veiled collection platform.  But picking and choosing which social media platforms get cancelled based of the political winds WILL eventually end just about every gun forum on the open web. I dont want to have to figure out how to us Tor Browser just to visit ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is it that big of a leap from banning download of an app to banning access to a website?
View Quote

Not at all.  Its about as simple as moving from banning the app in the app store to banning the hosting addresses from being allowed to transmit through US DNS servers.  Im probably simplifying the process some, but its not difficult to turn off access to a website.  At least to 95% of that sites user base.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#17]
So 10 year old girls will not be able to film themselves twerking to WAP.

I am ok with this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#18]
*double tap*
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You do realize that the people who's vote hinge on tiktok's status, probably don't have the intelligence to understand important issues right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is going to make a lot of people angry. It will lose votes for him; seems like a really dumb move tbh.

Seems pretty dumb for someone to hinge their vote on TikTok. So many other far more important issues.

You do realize that the people who's vote hinge on tiktok's status, probably don't have the intelligence to understand important issues right?

I think government overreach is a pretty serious issue.

Do you not?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the outcome, but...

Is this even close to legal?
View Quote

Everything concerning national security is legal.

.....right?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gonna make Oracle mad when their check clears  
View Quote

Microsoft and Walmart are also teaming up to bid against Oracle.  It will be interesting to see who wins this one.

What would Walmart want with Tic Toc?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's quite possible, and the applause of people here who are just as ill informed as the anti gun crowd will provide similar fanfare.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Microsoft and Walmart are also teaming up to bid against Oracle.  It will be interesting to see who wins this one.

View Quote

Bid was awarded to oracle but the deal hasn't met DOJ requirements.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's quite possible, and the applause of people here who are just as ill informed as the anti gun crowd will provide similar fanfare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Authoritarian overreach is awesome as long as you are on the side of the authority.

One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned from GD over the years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#25]
TikTok may be stupid, but if Trump wants to ban everything that is probably stupid he should start with himself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Fuk Tik Tok

We actually need less social media garbage ,  I am ok with this.  Especially when it happens to ChiCom owned Social Media .
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Walmart is huge in China.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the concern is real. You have an app that gains access to the camera, mic, location services, and requires users to enter their personal info. All this data can be accessed by the Chinese govt. How many company executives, politicians, engineers, military personal, and scientists have kids in close proximity with that app on their phones. Think about the intel you can gain by hearing, seeing, and knowing their location whenever you want.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think the concern is real. You have an app that gains access to the camera, mic, location services, and requires users to enter the personal info. All this data can be accessed by the Chinese govt. How many company executives, politicians, engineers, military personal, and scientists have kids in close proximity with that app on their phones. Think about the intel you can gain by hearing, seeing, and knowing their location whenever you want.
View Quote

but muh ability to post dumb ass videos of muhself....
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
TikTok may be stupid, but if Trump wants to ban everything that is probably stupid he should start with himself.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think the concern is real. You have an app that gains access to the camera, mic, location services, and requires users to enter the personal info. All this data can be accessed by the Chinese govt. How many company executives, politicians, engineers, military personal, and scientists have kids in close proximity with that app on their phones. Think about the intel you can gain by hearing, seeing, and knowing their location whenever you want.
View Quote

Except they don’t have access to that info “whenever they want.”

If you are making a tik tok things like cameras and mics are on (obviously)

If you spend more than 3 seconds setting up privacy on your phone tik tok nor any other app should be able to start using location services when it’s not being used. Tiktok doesn’t even use location services when you are actively using it.

Unlike things like Facebook.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am concerned this will upset some younger voters. I am all for banning it, but wait about 50 days.
View Quote

lol they don't vote.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you spend more than 3 seconds setting up privacy on your phone tik tok nor any other app should be able to start using location services when it’s not being used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you spend more than 3 seconds setting up privacy on your phone tik tok nor any other app should be able to start using location services when it’s not being used.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sorry, but i can't go along with saying this is right. IMO if people want to install chinese spyware on their phone that is their mistake to make. Educate the public, Ban it in bases, govt buildings, etc, but a blanket ban is a bad idea.
View Quote

The only way you’re going to be able to ban it from bases or any other govt building is a no cell phone policy on the properties. There’s no way that’s going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

I love it when someone is clueless without evidence just asserts they are right because they want to be.

My phone notifies me if my camera, microphone, or location services are being used. Are you claiming that tiktok has managed to bypass all of the OS security for those notifications and nobody has noticed yet except you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gonna make Oracle mad when their check clears  
View Quote

Fuck Oracle.  The only thing that would make me happier than pissing off China would be to stick it to Oracle.  An entire company of scumbags, liars, dysfunctional support, retarded "engineers" and account reps who make you feel like you need a shower just from talking to them.

I wouldn't let Oracle lick my ass if I ran out of toilet paper the day after Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#39]
The right is just as bad as the right with banning shit they don't like. But you know, in the name of security makes it ok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I love it when someone is clueless without evidence just asserts they are right because they want to be.

My phone notifies me if my camera, microphone, or location services are being used. Are you claiming that tiktok has managed to bypass all of the OS security for those notifications and nobody has noticed yet except you?
View Quote

You clearly know so much about that phone,  that you know NOTHING about that phone .

Remember when all the android phone owners thought they disabled location services , and google was still collecting their location ???   Yeah your phone is only telling you what a developer wants you to know...  but if you like believing the nonsense you just posted because of feels  keep on keeping on.

Google admits it tracked user location data even when the setting was turned off

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You clearly know so much about that phone,  that you know NOTHING about that phone .

Remember when all the android phone owners thought they disabled location services , and google was still collecting their location ???   Yeah your phone is only telling you what a developer wants you to know...  but if you like believing the nonsense you just posted because of feels  keep on keeping on.

Google admits it tracked user location data even when the setting was turned off

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, that’s google.

Second, that’s google the OS maker, not an app installed on the phone. The company who built the OS is going to have all sorts of access that a developer who puts apps on the play/App Store aren’t going to have.

It’s not about feels, it’s about working in the industry and not being completely clueless and paranoid when it comes to technology. Apple could likely track me if they really wanted to, but that doesn’t extend to every app out there.

Tiktok never even made a request for location services, and even if it did it would get set to either never, or only in use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm I wonder if spyware has the capability of accessing your data at even given time regardless if the app is running or not? Serous question because I don’t know but I would imagine it could.

Arfcom and YouTube are the only social media things I use.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love it when someone who is clueless about surveillance and technology assumes that because they toggled a button in their settings they are safe. They don't have to bypass any settings. Read the TOS and EUA. They capture and send data on app performance. This includes video, location, and sound data. This isn't some super secret thing. Lots of products do this. The difference here is where that data goes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I love it when someone who is clueless about surveillance and technology assumes that because they toggled a button in their settings they are safe. They don't have to bypass any settings. Read the TOS and EUA. They capture and send data on app performance. This includes video, location, and sound data. This isn't some super secret thing. Lots of products do this. The difference here is where that data goes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

They use the video and sound data from when you are using the app for analytics. Just like voice assistants use your recordings for analytics.

When you are actively using the camera on your phone in an app you should assume at least some of that data is being harvested.

They cannot however just turn your phones cameras and location services on whenever they please without even your phone knowing it. Can you cite any recent sources for apps being able to turn on those sensors without even the phone knowing? Or do you just have other nearly irrelevant talking points?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think the concern is real. You have an app that gains access to the camera, mic, location services, and requires users to enter their personal info. All this data can be accessed by the Chinese govt. How many company executives, politicians, engineers, military personal, and scientists have kids in close proximity with that app on their phones. Think about the intel you can gain by hearing, seeing, and knowing their location whenever you want.
View Quote

If there is evidence that that level of spying is happening then it needs to be clearly presented.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Don’t agree with this. What the fuck
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or maybe someone is on the fence and has been hearing "Trump is a dictator" for 4+ years, and then he bans their favorite social media app which cements in their mind "CNN was right, Trump is a dictator"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  This could have waited until after the election.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Exactly.  This could have waited until after the election.
View Quote

Or never.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup.

They use the video and sound data from when you are using the app for analytics. Just like voice assistants use your recordings for analytics.

When you are actively using the camera on your phone in an app you should assume at least some of that data is being harvested.

They cannot however just turn your phones cameras and location services on whenever they please without even your phone knowing it. Can you cite any recent sources for apps being able to turn on those sensors without even the phone knowing? Or do you just have other nearly irrelevant talking points?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

People have already done that and you whined but, dats googles.

Again if your too stupid to read the ELU and TOS I can’t help you. Carry on in blissful ignorance.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top