Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Just saw that, can’t wait to see NYC get their dicks slapped by the Supreme Court.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What is SRPA?

Does this mean I can I drink a large 40 soda ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Cliff notes?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
IBT "Roberts will fuck us" underscores/concern trolls.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is SRPA?

Does this mean I can I drink a large 40 soda ?
View Quote
New York State Rifle and Pistol Association
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cliff notes?
View Quote
Challenge to NYC's insane handgun transportation limits
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cliff notes?
View Quote
Waiting on Aimless.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Somebody translate for us simpletons.......
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
praying on field case...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
SCOTUS is going to decide whether or not it's constitutional for NYC to have extremely strict limits on where you can transport a legally owned handgun
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cliff notes?
View Quote
NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting. The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and weigh in if that is an acceptable restriction within the 2A, the commerce clause of the constitution, and the right to travel.

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition, so if they side with NYSRPA instead of NYC, it would instantly establish precedent across the country for CA, MD, NJ, etc to abide by.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#12]
What?  So far this is a really terrible post.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting. The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and weigh in if that is an acceptable restriction within the 2A, the commerce clause of the constitution, and the right to travel.

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition.

Kharn
View Quote
Thank you. Hopefully the SC rips them a new one for that unconstitutional BS
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cliff notes?
For any honest justice/judge this should be an open and shut case.  Grossly unconstitutional bullshit.

This case will do little to help anyone else.  We need a magazine capacity and an "assault weapon" case.

After ginsburg dies and we get another conservative hopefully we'll get some useful cases.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]
On one hand, I can see how this is complete horseshit. If you can't even take it to property you own - how the fuck are you supposed to leave NYC?

On the other hand - I can also see how they could rule that "since you can't take a pistol into a post office, this shit is all legal"
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Assuming a positive outcome this could be a big win for people in NJ. While the transportation rules aren't as bad as NYC they are very restrictive as well. In NJ it is a crime to take a handgun from your home to a hotel, friends house, or vacation home for example.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#17]
IBTSIF?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
Except the underscores want Roberts to fuck us.

The rest of us are just more pessimistic about how the Supreme Court is going to save us from the tyranny of the left.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition, so if they side with NYSRPA instead of NYC, it would instantly establish precedent across the country for CA, MD, NJ, etc to abide by.

Kharn
View Quote
Thanks.  This is big.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I had no idea states limited such things...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me either....I saw NYC and thought oh their AWB/mag limit bullshit but no not even close.

Damn those states are bad... good this is a thing I guess, but seems like crumbs compared to how much of the pie that still remains.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Assuming a positive outcome this could be a big win for people in NJ. While the transportation rules aren't as bad as NYC they are very restrictive as well. In NJ it is a crime to take a handgun from your home to a hotel, friends house, or vacation home for example.
View Quote
Didn't a guy get arrested for stopping for gas in his way home from the range recently? I could literally see cops staking out ranges to bust people and take their handguns under that law.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#23]
This is good news. It’s going to be tough waiting until October.

Not sure how a win helps those in other states though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Me either....I saw NYC and thought oh their AWB/mag limit bullshit but no not even close.

Damn those states are bad... good this is a thing I guess, but seems like crumbs compared to how much of the pie that still remains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A majority opinion in this case stating that 2a rights apply not only inside ones home (already established in Heller) but in public as well would be a huge win for us. We'll be much better positioned for future challenges to restrictive CCW laws.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow! I didn't expect that at all. I figured for sure that SCOTUS would let NYC just keep jerking gun owners around.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
See right above your post about NJ's bizarre restrictions on travel. You can't stop even for gas, food, etc. and have to drive directly from your residence to the range and right back.

This will be a dickslapping for most communist states that have bullshit laws like this.

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SCOTUS is going to decide whether or not it's constitutional for NYC to have extremely strict limits on where you can transport a legally owned handgun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
W00T!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#29]
You can find a link to the Petition for Cert here:  https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/new-york-state-rifle-pistol-association-inc-v-city-of-new-york-new-york/

Here is the Question Presented:

QUESTION PRESENTED

New   York   City   prohibits its   residents   from

possessing a handgun without a license, and the only
license  the  City  makes  available  to  most  residents  
allows  its  holder  to  possess  her  handgun  only  in  her  
home  or  en  route  to  one  of  seven  shooting  ranges  
within the city.  The City thus bans its residents from
transporting  a  handgun  to  any  place  outside  city  
limits—even if the handgun is unloaded and locked in
a container separate from its ammunition, and even if
the owner seeks to transport it only to a second home
for the core constitutionally protected purpose of self-
defense,  or  to  a  more  convenient  out-of-city  shooting  
range to hone its safe and effective use.

The City asserts that its transport ban promotes
public safety by limiting the presence of handguns on
city  streets.    But  the  City  put  forth  no  empirical  
evidence  that  transporting  an  unloaded  handgun,  
locked  in  a  container  separate  from  its  ammunition,  
poses  a  meaningful  risk  to  public  safety.    Moreover,  
even  if  there  were  such  a risk,  the  City’s  restriction  
poses  greater  safety  risks  by  encouraging  residents  
who are leaving town to leave their handguns behind
in  vacant  homes,  and  it  serves  only  to  increase  the  
frequency of handgun transport within city limits by
forcing many residents to use an in-city range rather
than more convenient ranges elsewhere.

The question presented is:
Whether the City’s ban on transporting a licensed,
locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting
range outside city limits is consistent with the Second
Amendment,    the    Commerce    Clause,    and    the
constitutional right to travel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Finally a chance for some 2A winning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
See right above your post about NJ's bizarre restrictions on travel. You can't stop even for gas, food, etc. and have to drive directly from your residence to the range and right back.

This will be a dickslapping for most communist states that have bullshit laws like this.

I can't wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait.
Surprisingly, California doesn’t have any such restrictions for transporting handguns. So I guess no change here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition.

Kharn
Don't count on Roberts. He is far from a dependable conservative.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
Summoning the under_world.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Surprisingly, California doesn't have any such restrictions for transporting handguns. So I guess no change here.
View Quote
I wouldn't count on that. If the Supremes rule that the law stands, California will take notice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I feel this is going to go 7-2. Clearly not just a 2nd Amendment violation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#37]
How far reaching could this be?

Could it rule that all restrictions on transport and where you can go are unconstitutional?

Could it prohibit private business from being “no guns allowed” areas? How about federal facilities?

Could it even touch how you transport, and allow constitutional concealed and open carry?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
They will say that is is within the restrictions of shall not infringe and move on the the next case....
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wouldn't count on that. If the Supremes rule that the law stands, California will take notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprisingly, California doesn't have any such restrictions for transporting handguns. So I guess no change here.
The question before the court is narrow in scope. Applying only to unloaded handguns stored in a locked container seperate from their ammo.

Few states have rules against transportation in that way
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if this is the case where Thomas forces his "conservative" cohorts to pick a standard of review for second amendment rights.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How far reaching could this be?

Could it rule that all restrictions on transport and where you can go are unconstitutional??
View Quote
No.

A win would only mean you have a constitutional right to transport an unloaded handgun in a locked container seperate from its ammunition. That is the question before the court.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A majority opinion in this case stating that 2a rights apply not only inside ones home (already established in Heller) but in public as well would be a huge win for us. We'll be much better positioned for future challenges to restrictive CCW laws.
View Quote
See, I don't even think the court will touch self defense on this. Maybe they will, but I have a feeling this will be more narrowly focused on travel restrictions and might even touch on commerce, etc.

This will not be seen as a self defense issue, but hopefully it is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
@StevenH

A rather well-informed lawyer on TTAG (who correctly called the cert grant for this particular case, last year) theorizes that the decision will be a narrow one, but will apply blanket "strict scrutiny" to 2A cases.

Many lower court decisions on 2A restrictions won't stand up to the higher level of scrutiny, and will have to be reversed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#44]
With Nunn vs Georgia, I don't understand how this is even an argument.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Different circuit?

Actually GA Supreme Court decision (mentioned in Heller)
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@StevenH

A rather well-informed lawyer on TTAG (who correctly called the cert grant for this particular case, last year) theorizes that the decision will be a narrow one, but will apply blanket "strict scrutiny" to 2A cases.

Many lower court decisions on 2A restrictions won't stand up to the higher level of scrutiny, and will have to be reversed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@StevenH

Okay, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Surprisingly, California doesn’t have any such restrictions for transporting handguns. So I guess no change here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait.
Yet.

A victory may at least prevent CA from enacting such laws so there is that.
But as others have said, a loss may embolden some states to enact laws like NYCs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Would NYC actually abide a Supreme Court decision?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you're right, but I still think ccw is stupid.  My home state is constitutional carry and that's REALLY how the federal constitution is too its just ignored
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a federal Court. The ruling has no authority over any other state. Learn Civics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top