Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IBT "Roberts will fuck us" underscores/concern trolls.

Kharn
View Quote
Yep, and RBG will surface to join him.

How does the 86 FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) not negate this BS NYC law right out of the box. Part of the law was to protect us when moving our firearms from place to place as long as where they started and ended was legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not according to my old NY county.
@Mech2007
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So...what does this mean? If SCOTUS says this practice is bullshit, NYC will HAVE to once again start issuing TARGET/HUNTING pistol permits, which again, are legally FULL CARRY permits.
Not according to my old NY county.
@Mech2007
@Extorris

Should be interesting.

The way the law is currently worded, I can carry within my house, but not outside on my own property.

Technically speaking, it's an Administrative Violation to carry when I mow the lawn. If I did, and was caught, I could lose my license but not be arrested for it.

Always have a range bag in your car.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Probably more important that Heller, as Heller has been basically ignored.

This would give Heller some teeth, strict scrutiny is the highest standard of review. A SC ruling applying strict Constitutional scrutiny to anything related to the 2A could open the door to national reciprocity, Constitutional carry, rolling back the NFA, etc...
View Quote
This needs to be stressed more in this thread. If SCOTUS comes back with a decision that all 2A cases must be reviewed with strict scrutiny, it could result in blowing just about every firearms restriction (AWBs, may-issue permits, magazine capacity limits, etc) out of the water. It could quite literally be an instant death sentence to the anti-gun agenda
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting. The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and weigh in if that is an acceptable restriction within the 2A, the commerce clause of the constitution, and the right to travel.

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition, so if they side with NYSRPA instead of NYC, it would instantly establish precedent across the country for CA, MD, NJ, etc to abide by.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cliff notes?
NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting. The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and weigh in if that is an acceptable restriction within the 2A, the commerce clause of the constitution, and the right to travel.

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition, so if they side with NYSRPA instead of NYC, it would instantly establish precedent across the country for CA, MD, NJ, etc to abide by.

Kharn
Thanks for the explanation.  OP owes you a beer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the issue at question is narrow enough that even milquetoast Roberts will agree the law is an unreasonable infringement. Yes, we need another 1 or 2 Alito/Thomases on board before we'd want them to hear a concealed carry or AWB case, but something like this is insane enough that Fudds would find it objectionable.

ETA: The strict scrutiny angle is interesting as well. If we could get that and a non-2A case that ends Chevron deference, which Kavanaugh and Gorsuch may help with, that could really open the floodgates.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey everyone...I know NYC's bullshit gun laws almost perfectly. Unfortunately.

This is MUCH bigger than most people think...here is why...

NYC to target shoot, no NYPD officer would arrest you. But a NYS trooper that is visiting NYC could still arrest you in NYC believe it or not!

So...what does this mean? If SCOTUS says this practice is bullshit, NYC will HAVE to once again start issuing TARGET/HUNTING pistol permits, which again, are legally FULL CARRY permits.
View Quote
If you had a target/hunting permit on LI and got caught carrying they would take away your permit. I remember when Edelman's had a shooting range that was open 24/7. It was said if you got caught carrying you would just say I was on my way to the range. Not sure how they went over for anyone who was caught.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Summoning the under_world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Who invented this stupid meme about underscores?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
They are right to be worried.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow! I didn't expect that at all. I figured for sure that SCOTUS would let NYC just keep jerking gun owners around.
View Quote
Had to wait till we had the majority, Roberts you listening?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SCOTUS is going to decide whether or not it's constitutional for NYC to have extremely strict limits on where you can transport a legally owned handgun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody translate for us simpletons.......
SCOTUS is going to decide whether or not it's constitutional for NYC to have extremely strict limits on where you can transport a legally owned handgun
Outside the city, too (lol).  I guess NYC has been passing laws that apply to the whole state?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And NYSRPA has Paul Clement, the former Solicitor General of the United States, arguing the case. Clement argued for the US in support of Heller, and for the NRA in support of McDonald, along with 60+ other appearances before the court, the most in history.

Kharn
View Quote
Paul Clement bio (if anyone is interested)
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I see some people have not yet realized there is no rule of law anymore in the FUSA.
Supreme court?
Constitution?

They will simply ignore as they are doing NOW. Who's gonna stop them?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had no idea states limited such things...
View Quote
Because you are free for now.

Did you know the Soviets only had 3 cheeses to choose from?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because you are free for now.

Did you know the Soviets only had 3 cheeses to choose from?
View Quote
No, in Soviet Union cheese chooses you!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In before the NRA claims a victory.
View Quote
inb4 the NRA tries to sabotage the case so that we won't lose it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is good news. It’s going to be tough waiting until October.

Not sure how a win helps those in other states though.
View Quote
We need them to put a lid on states infringing the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
The Supreme Court’s calendar for April was already full before last week’s conference, so the new grant likely won’t be argued until the fall. The justices’ eventual ruling in the case could stick to the relatively narrow question of whether the city’s law is constitutional, or it might shed light on a broader and more consequential question: whether the right to have a gun extends outside the home. Either way, the court’s opinion in the case probably won’t come until the spring of 2020.
View Quote
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/01/justices-to-review-new-york-gun-rights-case/
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had no idea states limited such things...
View Quote
Not being sarcastic, but you are right....you have no idea just how fucked up some of these states gun laws are.   It is literally a race to be more unconstitutional between these liberal states....mine included.

Even more comical would be if some Justice were to pass away soon and the court swings to more conservative...perhaps throw in a retirement as well for good measure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The way the law is currently worded, I can carry within my house, but not outside on my own property.

Technically speaking, it's an Administrative Violation to carry when I mow the lawn. If I did, and was caught, I could lose my license but not be arrested for it.

Always have a range bag in your car.
View Quote
A guy at the Nassau permit office told my buddy not to think the "I belong to a 24 hr. range" story will work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you had a target/hunting permit on LI and got caught carrying they would take away your permit. I remember when Edelman's had a shooting range that was open 24/7. It was said if you got caught carrying you would just say I was on my way to the range. Not sure how they went over for anyone who was caught.
View Quote
I remember their ads in Newsday before that rag declared all firearm related ads persona non grata. I found it interesting how it was open 24x7 and all members had their own key to the facility.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That’s a likely outcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is good news. It’s going to be tough waiting until October.

Not sure how a win helps those in other states though.
@StevenH

A rather well-informed lawyer on TTAG (who correctly called the cert grant for this particular case, last year) theorizes that the decision will be a narrow one, but will apply blanket "strict scrutiny" to 2A cases.

Many lower court decisions on 2A restrictions won't stand up to the higher level of scrutiny, and will have to be reversed.
That’s a likely outcome.
Not to mention desirable
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I remember their ads in Newsday before that rag declared all firearm related ads persona non grata. I found it interesting how it was open 24x7 and all members had their own key to the facility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The private club I used to be a member of in NJ was the same way, for the indoor range every member had an access fob and you just let yourself in any time. It was nice to be able to go shooting at 10pm on a Friday and usually have the entire indoor range to myself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
If strict scrutiny had been applied from the start almost every gun law would have been kicked to the curb. Instead we are fighting laws made 70-80 years ago. Of course there is that pesky shall not be infringed thingy that needs to be answered. Court took it upon itself to come up with the "not absolute" bullshit to even give these cases any legitimacy.

In short rights are not absolute but no strict scrutiny is ever needed.  Stacked deck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Think it got going when T_S and B_S were posting on top of each other in a Trump related thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#26]
"But the City put forth no empirical evidence that transporting an unloaded handgun, locked in a container separate from its ammunition, poses a meaningful risk to public safety."

Why is this assumed to be the only way to transport a gun?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"But the City put forth no empirical evidence that transporting an unloaded handgun, locked in a container separate from its ammunition, poses a meaningful risk to public safety."

View Quote
That’s the question before the court. These cases are always narrow in scope.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Think it got going when T_S and B_S were posting on top of each other in a Trump related thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell if you think about it, it goes all the way back to Dave_A...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I guess we will get to see what kind of Justices' Trump has gotten us + see if Roberts is the turn coat piece of shit many fear he is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I suspect they know RBG is near the end & will get a pro gun replacement soon. Or perhaps they discussed with Roberts beforehand ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A guy at the Nassau permit office told my buddy not to think the "I belong to a 24 hr. range" story will work.
View Quote
Sure, the future of your carry permit may be in doubt depending on the mood of your authority person, but they still can't arrest you for carrying if you have the permit.

Any restrictions on a NYS carry permit are purely administrative.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
They_Earned_It
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Carry licenses currently issued in NYS feature the following disclaimer on the back.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61196/20190122_120627_jpg-817519.JPG

So you can legally carry all over the state until you get to NYC, where your statewide approved legal licensed conduct will get you cuffed and stuffed.
View Quote
@P400

Here is the back of mine. As you can see, every country has different "rules". Like davem4p99 said however, in the law, you either have a carry permit or you don't. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sure, the future of your carry permit may be in doubt depending on the mood of your authority person, but they still can't arrest you for carrying if you have the permit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is bullshit to begin with. If doing something is NOT illegal (carrying with a target/hunting/sportsman license)...then there should be NO penalty for doing so. How can they take away your pistol permit for a legal activity (carrying concealed)?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Hopefully, we get some freedom back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is the official NRA-affiliated State Association.  I'm sure someone will come along and complain "where is the NRA?" though.

The NRA operates behind the curtain so that local state residents can be front and center.  It reduces the complaints that they have no standing or that it is "entities outside the state trying to control what happens in another state".
View Quote
Thats funny, I didnt see any NRA reps at Lobby Day in Richmond yesterday, just VCDL members.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]
It is stupid that NYC bans NYC pistol permit holders from legally transporting their registered pistols outside of NYC ... but I really wish the case SCOTUS took up was on AWB/capacity restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thats funny, I didnt see any NRA reps at Lobby Day in Richmond yesterday, just VCDL members.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is the official NRA-affiliated State Association.  I'm sure someone will come along and complain "where is the NRA?" though.

The NRA operates behind the curtain so that local state residents can be front and center.  It reduces the complaints that they have no standing or that it is "entities outside the state trying to control what happens in another state".
Did you call them to extend an invitation? They show up in MD when they're invited.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It is stupid that NYC bans NYC pistol permit holders from legally transporting their registered pistols outside of NYC ... but I really wish the case SCOTUS took up was on AWB/capacity restrictions.
View Quote
Maybe in 8 or 9 years?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have been domiciled in NY for 30 years.

This (what I quoted) is not entirely accurate.

If the licensing officer wants to be a douche and yank your carry permit, you are no longer able to possess handguns in NY.
I know a guy who lost his NYC permit due to a nothing burger in Westchester Co where he was carrying in WC outside of his restrictions.  WC knew he had a NYC permit and reported him.

When NYC yanked his NYC permit, WC yanked his WC permit.

Article 78 filing went nowhere.
Explain how this is "administrative"?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The city caved on the hunting portion. But it has to be hunting season and you must have a valid hunting license.

Hopefully this will be the first crack in the wall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
The city caved on the hunting portion. But it has to be hunting season and you must have a valid hunting license.

Hopefully this will be the first crack in the wall.
So wait, let’s say I have a nyc pistol permit. Are they saying if I move to South Carolina, I can’t legally take it? What am I supposed to do with it? What if it breaks? How do I take it to a gunsmith? What if inwant to sell it to a FFL not attached to an approve range?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why is there a government meeting in public that thinks that's reasonable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting.
Why is there a government meeting in public that thinks that's reasonable?
Because we no longer tar, feather, and ride politicians out on a rail.

Remember way back when the Senate had voted on Obamacare but the House hadn't? Ben "Cornhusker Kickback" Nelson went home and went to a local pizza joint with his wife. He was booed out of the building. I'm convinced if the boo-ers had strung him up in the street the House would never have voted for Obamacare. It's real easy to say "the worst that happens is you don't get reelected but we have a nice lobbyist job as a consolation" but is a whole other thing when politicians put their literal skin on the line.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How does the 86 FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) not negate this BS NYC law right out of the box. Part of the law was to protect us when moving our firearms from place to place as long as where they started and where ended was legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How does the 86 FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) not negate this BS NYC law right out of the box. Part of the law was to protect us when moving our firearms from place to place as long as where they started and where ended was legal.
I believe because that law is an "Affirmative Defense."

One of the law's provisions (codified in section 926A of title 18 of the U.S. Code) was that persons traveling from one place to another have a defense for any state firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited from possession of a firearm, the firearms and ammunition are not readily accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[12][13]
Which means you "may" beat the rap but not the ride.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fuck that bull shit bull shit.

If the Framers had meant the federal government can regulate anything anywhere they would have come out and said it ... not used the commerce clause. The federal government slipped a big restriction on their power there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:the    Commerce    Clause
Fuck that bull shit bull shit.

If the Framers had meant the federal government can regulate anything anywhere they would have come out and said it ... not used the commerce clause. The federal government slipped a big restriction on their power there.
I think one of the Federalist Papers outright says it isn't to be used for DC to control everything. 150 years later we get Wickard v. Filburn because those nine Solons in robes know better than the guys who wrote the clause what the clause was intended to mean.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And NYSRPA has Paul Clement, the former Solicitor General of the United States, arguing the case. Clement argued for the US in support of Heller, and for the NRA in support of McDonald, along with 60+ other appearances before the court, the most in history.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
With how the court ruled in Heller and then McDonald , I see NY getting smacked down.  Very limited transportation of a firearm is a severe restriction on a right.

On McDonald they held that the Second Amendment was incorporated under the Fourteenth Amendment thus protecting those rights from infringement by state and local governments.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before the NRA claims a victory.
HA, two ignorant people already.  The organization filing the lawsuit is the official state level NRA affiliate organization.  Your bias is obvious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NRA reps don't just show up for one day.  They communicate their agenda with the legislators at the appropriate times and speak at the committee meetings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s reasonable restrictions.....”meaningful risk”....there is no definition of it.  It’s just an argument that professes to be reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Would NYC actually abide a Supreme Court decision?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Would NYC actually abide a Supreme Court decision?
They’ll likely find a way to “legally” squirm out of it if it doesn’t go their way.

Quoted:
I'll be Negative Nancy: Heller and McDonald  didn't do anything meaningful for NYC subjects,this is very unlikely to do much either. However,it's a low hanging gun case that won't matter much either way but at least allows them to address firearms so they can move on to other things for the next X years rather than do something that would make drastic changes for everyone.
To me and ~40,000 other gun owners it matters a great deal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#50]
NYC is indeed doing the "right" thing by not allowing people to leave NYC with a PREMISE permit...according to NYS law.

Since NYC doesn't want to issue NYS Carry permits, they issue these PREMISE only permits...And a NYC premise permit holder can definitely be arrested outside NYC if they possess a handgun...since a PREMISE permit does NOT allow transport at all. Ever. Even the NYC "Hunting Authorization" opens you up to arrest upstate since it's illegal to possess/carry a handgun outside the address, with a premise permit. Hell even a NYS trooper could arrest a NYC premise holder for going to a NYC range with only a premise permit (which the NYPD allows).

When they lose, NYC will HAVE to start issuing CARRY/Target/Hunting licenses again...which according to NYS law, allow full carry.

The NYPD is going to cry hard.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top