Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2022 7:01:00 PM EDT
My laptop fell on the plug and busted it. When I unplugged it the end stayed in the port. A push pin will go into the middle of the stub but I can't seem to lever it out. Almost need a tiny screw to extract it.

ETA
I had a tiny machine screw that threaded in but not enough to grab it because of how short it was. What would I already have in my house that would thread in there and be long enough to grab it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a sharp pick and heated the tip to get a busted RCA cable pin out. The pick melted to the plastic in the core of the pin enough to pull it right out.

Good luck

Thurman.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a sheet metal screw that you can screw in the center. Little pull it should come right out.

ETA: lol I didn’t read the OP.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
hook and pick set
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Call my ex-wife and tell her you think there's a dollar stuck in there behind it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call my ex-wife and tell her you think there's a dollar stuck in there behind it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
A “very” small amount of super glue on the end of something?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut the end off a q-tip put a dab of super glue on it and stick it to the broken end, wait 15 minutes and remove.

Eta don't glue the qtip to the computer
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A “very” small amount of super glue on the end of something?
View Quote

Quoted:
Cut the end off a q-tip put a dab of super glue on it and stick it to the broken end, wait 15 minutes and remove.

Eta don't glue the qtip to the computer
View Quote

I definitely thought of that but it seems like it has a super high chance of making things worse.

Especially when you know how bad you are at this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like there might be enough material to grab the metal with some good needle nose pliers
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
i'd pull the battery first.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Dental pick or watchmaker tweezers.

It is unlikely you'd get something super glued to the inside of thr plug shaft without the glue also capillary-ing around to the outside.

I would be inclined to take the computer apart and shove it out from the inside if I didn't have the first two tools I mentioned.

I doubt you could get a screw to work. It will just spin the plug without getting any engagement.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Straighten a small fish hook and jab it up in there until the barb grabs it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Toothpick and a drop of crazy glue?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d take it apart.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Drill bit
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Look around your house and find a screw of the right size that is currently being used for some other purpose.

Remove it from what ever it is currently being used for.

Use it to remove the plug and then put it back where you found it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Straighten a small fish hook and jab it up in there until the barb grabs it?
View Quote

Not a bad idea. Pretty good, actually.

Probably have to anneal the hook. I believe they are too hard to bend, iirc. Don't remember ever trying though tbh.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Coarse thread drywall screw. Machine thread wont grab like you want.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I definitely thought of that but it seems like it has a super high chance of making things worse.

Especially when you know how bad you are at this stuff.
View Quote

I had done it in the past. I used a toothpick to apply the superglue to the qtip to minimize the risk.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dental pick or watchmaker tweezers.

It is unlikely you'd get something super glued to the inside of thr plug shaft without the glue also capillary-ing around to the outside.

I would be inclined to take the computer apart and shove it out from the inside if I didn't have the first two tools I mentioned.

I doubt you could get a screw to work. It will just spin the plug without getting any engagement.
View Quote
I'm inclined to go with this.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Small hemostats. I must have 6-8 different sizes and angles. Wish I would have bought a bunch 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
magnets.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Tannerite
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Pair of the wife's good tweezers.

Two needles or pins poked into the plastic at say 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock like chopsticks - push inwards and pull towards you.

Take it apart might be good answer depending on what kind of machine it is - or could be miserable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Grab a sewing needle with a pair of pliers.  Fish/twist it out with the needle.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Could you get a small easy-out in there far enough to grab it? It may work better than a screw.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#28]
@ALASKANFIRE

Well?

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#29]
No luck yet. The videos with tips I’ve watched have not worked. I’m worried it’s snagged in the port because there is resistance but I can’t tell where it’s coming from. My luck I’ve buggered the port. I might check with a local repair place and see what it would cost or I might just order a new laptop.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#30]
You in Vegas? I bet I could get that out.

When stuff like that breaks it flares out slightly. The edge of the port is gonna catch that sharp flared edge. The glue trick might work but you'll need to gingerly wiggle it as it gets to the mouth of the port. It also might have distorted enough it just isn't going to to come out without some work at it.

Alternatives I can see, disassemble the entire laptop and see if the port is on a separate little board. Sometimes they are and eBay can get you a new one for cheap.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Throw it on your driveway, repeat if needed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Grab a sewing needle with a pair of pliers.  Fish/twist it out with the needle.  
View Quote

First put a very small bend in the tip.  Like a "J" hook.
Kind of a take off of the fish hook idea.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
hook and pick set
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

These
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You in Vegas? I bet I could get that out.

When stuff like that breaks it flares out slightly. The edge of the port is gonna catch that sharp flared edge. The glue trick might work but you'll need to gingerly wiggle it as it gets to the mouth of the port. It also might have distorted enough it just isn't going to to come out without some work at it.

Alternatives I can see, disassemble the entire laptop and see if the port is on a separate little board. Sometimes they are and eBay can get you a new one for cheap.
View Quote

Northern part of the state unfortunately or I’d take you up on it.

I’m honestly not sure I’m comfortable taking it apart very far. I need to look up how to do it. I pulled the case screws but it didn’t want to come apart so I don’t know if there are secondary latches or screws I’m missing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

First put a very small bend in the tip.  Like a "J" hook.
Kind of a take off of the fish hook idea.
View Quote

Quoted:

These
View Quote

I’m not sure how the battery comes out. I have a hook and pick set and they are all too big to really wor effectively. The closest I got was two things a pushpin that I bent the end of so I could pull and a small set of needle nose
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Pound on the other end til it pops out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#38]
What about soldering a sanded down piece of a coathanger into it?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No luck yet. The videos with tips I’ve watched have not worked. I’m worried it’s snagged in the port because there is resistance but I can’t tell where it’s coming from. My luck I’ve buggered the port. I might check with a local repair place and see what it would cost or I might just order a new laptop.
View Quote

Dibs on old laptop?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#40]
You have a strong pull-out game
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too big to fit into the hole
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sand it down, or find thinner wire.

Point is, if you use solder, you can pull it out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I used a sharp pick and heated the tip to get a busted RCA cable pin out. The pick melted to the plastic in the core of the pin enough to pull it right out.
Thurman Merman
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw on a life hack video never tried it.

Lighter to end of hot glue stick to get tip liquid.
Shove in hole (just the tip).
Hold steady until hard.
Pull out. Hopefully offending fragments are on the stick.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Compressed air in a different port.  It will pop right out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#46]
disiconnect battery. solder a small piece of metal (wire....tweezers?)  to the metal part of the plug. pull it out. unsolder it or just throw it away.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Compressed air in a different port.  It will pop right out.
View Quote

Not exactly, but kind of. Is that a Chromebook? Take it apart and push out from the inside might be possible. Otherwise you can order a new charging jack and just replace it. They generally are an easily replaceable part.

I work in K12 IT. These things are not uncommon.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I saw on a life hack video never tried it.

Lighter to end of hot glue stick to get tip liquid.
Shove in hole (just the tip).
Hold steady until hard.
Pull out. Hopefully offending fragments are on the stick.
View Quote

Dear Penthouse/ITgoneWild . . .
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Can you squeeze a pop rivet in there that fits tight enough so you can then expand it gently so you can pull the piece out.  You may need to drill the center out very carefully and not more than maybe a quarter inch deep or so just enough for the pop rivet to begin to expand within the broken piece.  If you can get it to expand slightly within the broken piece just pull on the shank of the rivet until the broken piece pops out.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#50]
If you hit it with a hammer hard enough, multiple times, eventually it should open and you might be able to use your fingers to get it out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top