Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/29/2023 8:29:46 AM EDT
Are you better off staying or leaving if you live in an urban area and shtf?

Do you think that bugging out is a fantasy?

Do you think it is a reality in the case of SHTF?

Bugging Out To Nowhere: A SHTF Fantasy
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ll watch up at the barn.

If you’re urban I think you’re screwed.  I’ll be praying for ya.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the country and staying put.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Cliff notes?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cliff notes?
View Quote

If you strap on a pack and grab a rifle to head out into the wilderness, you’re dead.

Edit: I didn’t watch the video.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have a pre-staged place to go, sure. If you think you're gonna go live out in the woods Rambo style? Lol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Bug out describes it.

I may as well stay put.

That would be better than being killed by a combination of sunburn, bug bites, poison ivy, snakes, gators.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 200 acres, two creeks, a pond and a functional old school well. I’m staying put. If SHTF occurs, sister wives may bathe and apply for citizenship.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The further you live away from the threats the better.

Distance from large cities will buy you time to shift to a higher readiness condition if the SHTF and make your life better in a hundred ways if it doesn't.

I only worked in a city until I was certain I had enough savings to leave. It's a risky strategy that gets more risky day-by-day with the democrats in power.

Now I live two hours from an interstate freeway, in a city with a crime rate less than half the US average, and the nearest city of +50K is Green Bay about two hours away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Couldn’t make it through that one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Ragnar Benson basically said bugging out equals refugee
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I would be entirely too bored to “bug out”.

You guys really want to miss out on S hitting the fan?

I hope the bugout brigade understands their humalog has a limited shelf life.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have 200 acres, two creeks, a pond and a functional old school well. I’m staying put. If SHTF occurs, sister wives may bathe and apply for citizenship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, What?
All that bitching and moaning from you over the last two years about how you don't have two nickels to rub together, and you have been sitting on 200 acres?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
You could do it after a die off but early on makes you a target. Literally.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#15]
At least at home I have a defendable position.  I'm so out of shape I know I'm not making it a mile on foot before I keel over. Staying home is my literal only option.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#16]
It's only a fantasy if you haven't already prepped a bug out location.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Stay off my lawn.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bug out describes it.

I may as well stay put.

That would be better than being killed by a combination of sunburn, bug bites, poison ivy, snakes, gators.
View Quote

Fire ants. You forgot fire ants.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Bugging out would suck. It’s not even November yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ll watch up at the barn.

If you’re urban I think you’re screwed.  I’ll be praying for ya.
View Quote

Urban: GTFO
White Suburbia - middle, upper middle, upper: Stay
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone who has ever “Bugged out” during a hurricane knows this 30-50 mile idea is bullshit. Entire REGIONS of the country are on the move-roadways are gridlocked….you are not going anywhere. A spilled box of roofing nails on I-95 through SC shuts down the entire east coast.

Tactical Timmy out in the deserts of Nevada/Utah-where this video appears to be filmed (during decent weather -the early fall-) is screwed when it gets cold wearing what he has on. Who is he talking to with his tier 1comms anyway?

Rated BS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Pull up anchor, turn on water maker, turn AIS off, hoist sails and sit off of one of Bahamas deserted islands.  

I could literally do this in less than 30 minutes.

I'll ride out the winter in warmth.

Things I wish I had before I bug out:
FLIR camera
Electric dinghy motor
My SSB radio working
Another 50# rice
20-30 cans of food
More bug spray and sunscreen
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone who has ever “Bugged out” during a hurricane knows this 30-50 mile idea is bullshit. Entire REGIONS of the country are on the move-roadways are gridlocked….you are not going anywhere. A spilled box of roofing nails on I-95 through SC shuts down the entire east coast.

Tactical Timmy out in the deserts of Nevada/Utah-where this video appears to be filmed (during decent weather -the early fall-) is screwed when it gets cold wearing what he has on. Who is he talking to with his tier 1comms anyway?

Rated BS.
View Quote

The desert will snatch the life right out of you
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#24]
My bag is to get me home.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Rated BS.
View Quote

Did you watch the video?

The entire purpose of the video is "Tactical Timmy" as you say dispelling the idea that you can "bug out to nowhere" and go live on the land.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The desert will snatch the life right out of you
View Quote

Water is life and big game (you need big game to survive) is “almost” non existent.
Wild horses, Antelope, deer, pigs, and cattle will be your food supply.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did you watch the video?

The entire purpose of the video is "Tactical Timmy" as you say dispelling the idea that you can "bug out to nowhere" and go live on the land.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rated BS.

Did you watch the video?

I made it to the scene with his cars parked….
Horses are done eating.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#28]
IMO, becoming a refugee is absolutely the last thing you want to do in an emergency.

Quoted:
Did you watch the video?
View Quote
Ain't nobody got time for that!
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Rated BS.
View Quote

Tactical Timmy agrees with you. Which was the purpose of the video.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#31]
If you live in an urban or suburban area you need to have a place to bug out to ahead of time so find a place now and make a plan. People thinking they're just going to escape to the country with no place to go are going to find armed and angry country folk waiting.

I mention suburban people because even if you live in a very safe place now when your unprepared neighbors start getting hungry they'll come for you. Also suburban areas are first in line for criminals, gangs, commies and even govt. forces. Once houses start catching fire you're pretty much screwed. Of course there is different levels of SHTF and you may make it in a suburban setting if your neighbors are prepared as well. If you're urban you're not going to survive unless you join up with the ruling gang and then they may just off you and take your shit anyway so it's best to GTFO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pull up anchor, turn on water maker, turn AIS off, hoist sails and sit off of one of Bahamas deserted islands.  

I could literally do this in less than 30 minutes.

I'll ride out the winter in warmth.

Things I wish I had before I bug out:
FLIR camera
Electric dinghy motor
My SSB radio working
Another 50# rice
20-30 cans of food
More bug spray and sunscreen
View Quote

This is actually doable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the suburbs.  "Safe" area, but 20 miles as the crow flys from Oakland.  There are literally two highways out of the east bay, the Sacramento delta and that's it. Going cross country wouldn't work.  About 2.5 million people all told.
Bugging out would get you dead or in a camp.
I imagine the stench will be bad after a week.
I'm out of here in May.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you better off staying or leaving if you live in an urban area and shtf?
Do you think that bugging out is a fantasy?
Do you think it is a reality in the case of SHTF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w7bVLml7yA
View Quote

Real-world preppers have been planning to bug-in long before it was cool.

Fleeing on the roads to nowhere in particular has been a Mad Max mental-fantasy for several decades now, … and it’s a still plan that won’t end well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Bug out? To where?  I'm on land, secure building, defendable, and everything I need is here.
If suburban or cities dwellers think they are coming here to hide in the mountains, they thought wrong.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Any location, even remote, rural ones, would be perilous in a true TEOTWAWKI situation.  You'd be mistaken if you think a rural farm would be safe, as people, from single persons to roaming hoards, will be like locusts searching for food and supplies.  Probably the best situation would be a rural town where there are enough people for mutual defense, but not too many to exhaust the food from de-industrialized farming.

The hollers in rural KY, WV, TN, etc. would probably do alright, once the meth/fentanyl ran out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bug out? To where?  I'm on land, secure building, defendable, and everything I need is here.
If suburban or cities dwellers think they are coming here to hide in the mountains, they thought wrong.
View Quote

Your house in the country is isolated with few, sparse or no neighbors and is full of supplies.  You eventually have to sleep.

When there’s no longer food in the suburbs and the cities, they’re coming in large numbers to your farming or rural community to hunt your live stock or deer and other wildlife on your property.  Then, they’ll take your shit.  If you’re lucky, they’ll let you live.

People don’t think desperation and survival be like it is, but it do.

No one is safe in a SHTF situation.  No one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Dick Proenneke didn’t need all the things we think we need.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Truth
I’m in the country and bugging in

The SHTF bug out fantasy=REFUGEE YOU need to BUG IN!
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#41]
"Bugout fantasy" the fantasy everybody debunks and nobody has.

This stupid shit is like "trickle down economics" where everybody complains about something that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Your house in the country is isolated with few, sparse or no neighbors and is full of supplies.  You eventually have to sleep.

When there’s no longer food in the suburbs and the cities, they’re coming in large numbers to your community to hunt your live stock and deer and other wildlife on your property.  Then, they’ll take your shit.  If you’re lucky, they’ll let you live.

People don’t think desperation and survival be like it is, but it do.

View Quote

They are definitely coming. Friends and family are coming first. That’s the plan. That has always been the plan.

I doubt anyone with a farm or property is really thinking they are going at it alone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#43]
im not leaving my house, you want it come get it
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#44]
How resentful will the locals be when their resources are stripped within hours?

Not talking deer and squirrels.

Gas stations, grocery and drug stores picked clean with no chance of resupply will piss off the neighbors, trust me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you strap on a pack and grab a rifle to head out into the wilderness, you’re dead.

Edit: I didn’t watch the video.
View Quote

i agree

nothing screams 'SHOOT ME' like looking SEAL Team Six as you move through unfamiliar terrain

advice :  hunker down with adequate provisions in a familiar area -- whether urban, suburban, rural -- and wait out the immediate crisis

then judiciously determine a better COA.   if one exists.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Something I forgot to mention in my initial post is roadways. Even if you have the best bug out location you have to be able to get there. The Interstates and even some of the secondary main roads will be clogged with people thinking they're going to escape. Go look at the photos and even videos of the vehicles piled up and not moving on the Interstates when people are fleeing hurricanes.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#47]
The core question is, “What makes you think the people who live in the area you are fleeing to will accept you?”  The chances are you will only be a liability to them, not an asset.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dick Proenneke didn’t need all the things we think we need.
View Quote

Most people today including the tier 1 operators and so-called expert survivalists couldn't do what he did.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Me?  I live in a solidly middle / middle upper class community.  For the most part, we lean red.  Organize.  Know who your neighbors are.  Pay close attention to elections and who has which signs in their yard.  Knowing who is on your team is paramount.  

Power in numbers.  As time goes on, the social hierarchy and who wants power will get increasingly complicated and deadly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top