Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Screw the haters. Square is there...my suggestion is leave it alone.  It's a dam disease. Mine is a 94, I have owned it since 95. Wheeled every weekend. Was no longer an automobile....it is now a piece of equipment Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 91 also, 4.0L with an AX 15, and 140k original miles with lots of work done.

Spring over axle conversion, but I don't really take this off road, so the almost 6" of total lift (spring over, probably 1" body lift, 35" tires, and 1.5" leafs) is a little too much for day to day driving.  It's a blast though, no vibration issues at all, which is actually kind of rare for this amount of lift.

Since you said you have steering slop, two things--- first, not sure if you've ever driven a YJ before, but there's ALWAYS going to be play in your steering wheel.  A new steering gear box can help, but I've replaced boxes that I know were bad with brand new ones, without a huge amount of improvement. (FYI, a Redbox gearbox is worth the money over a regular stock replacement. )  You can also upgrade your box by replacing it with a larger Durango box (can't remember which years work). The Durango box is beefier and handles bigger tires much better, but I think you lose a tiny bit of turning radius with the mod.

My 88 4.2L is an automatic without many/any drive train mods, and feels completely different.  Rides more like a tank that feels like it cannot be turned over. Boring.

My advice is to take off the doors and the top (get rid of that hard top and replace it with a soft top and drive it.   I live where the winters are cold (hits -30 to -40 degrees every year) and a soft top with a heater that works well keep you warm. Hard tops are loud and have a very 'stifling' feeling.

Start the mods with things that make your jeep easier and more comfortable to drive, then go from there. If it's your daily driver, new seats may be a much better investment than a new winch.  It all depends on what you need.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have nothing to add that hasn’t already been said. Good luck OP and keep the thread updated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 91 also, 4.0L with an AX 15, and 140k original miles with lots of work done.

Spring over axle conversion, but I don't really take this off road, so the almost 6" of total lift (spring over, probably 1" body lift, 35" tires, and 1.5" leafs) is a little too much for day to day driving.  It's a blast though, no vibration issues at all, which is actually kind of rare for this amount of lift.

Since you said you have steering slop, two things--- first, not sure if you've ever driven a YJ before, but there's ALWAYS going to be play in your steering wheel.  A new steering gear box can help, but I've replaced boxes that I know were bad with brand new ones, without a huge amount of improvement. (FYI, a Redbox gearbox is worth the money over a regular stock replacement. )  You can also upgrade your box by replacing it with a larger Durango box (can't remember which years work). The Durango box is beefier and handles bigger tires much better, but I think you lose a tiny bit of turning radius with the mod.

My 88 4.2L is an automatic without many/any drive train mods, and feels completely different.  Rides more like a tank that feels like it cannot be turned over. Boring.

My advice is to take off the doors and the top (get rid of that hard top and replace it with a soft top and drive it.   I live where the winters are cold (hits -30 to -40 degrees every year) and a soft top with a heater that works well keep you warm. Hard tops are loud and have a very 'stifling' feeling.

Start the mods with things that make your jeep easier and more comfortable to drive, then go from there. If it's your daily driver, new seats may be a much better investment than a new winch.  It all depends on what you need.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/2020-11-12-7_jpg-2932475.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/PXL_20201120_214909784_PORTRAIT_jpg-2932476.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/PXL_20210322_215248254_jpg-2932477.JPG
View Quote

It’s not really steering wheel slip as much as the column is sloppy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top