Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 for a RO unit, will save alot of money in the long run, a decent RO with the faucet dispenser and 3-5 gallon storage tank should run $150-200. I just replaced the filters on my 5 stage RODI $25, since you dont need DI would of cost like $12 with out the DI resin.

If amazon is cheaper then bj's or sam's nothing wrong with ordering from there though I buy all sorts of shit from amazon including food stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
+1 for a RO unit, will save alot of money in the long run, a decent RO with the faucet dispenser and 3-5 gallon storage tank should run $150-200. I just replaced the filters on my 5 stage RODI $25, since you dont need DI would of cost like $12 with out the DI resin.

If amazon is cheaper then bj's or sam's nothing wrong with ordering from there though I buy all sorts of shit from amazon including food stuff.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
do you buy eyeliner and lipstick in bulk from Amazon.com as well??
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Berkey Filter FTW.

Dont half step, do yourself a favor and do it right.

The Sawyer pointone has made the berkey obsolete. Fifty bucks, doesn't wear out, 0.1 micron absolute filtering.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I love FIJI bottled water.  I don't know what it is in there but I prefer that over all the other brands of bottle water.  With that said, I started using the Brita 35530 Ultramax Dispenserand it really makes tap water taste better and drinkable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Berkey Filter FTW.

The Sawyer pointone has made the berkey obsolete. Fifty bucks, doesn't wear out, 0.1 micron absolute filtering.

This is the first I have heard of this.

I will be looking into it. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've debated about posting this as I expect there to be a few merciless souls out there to flame me on this.

This may not make sense to those of you who are fortunate enough to live in the foothills of NC where the water is tasty, but here in south Florida, the water sucks. Most bottled water tastes like ass as well. Even though it's expensive, I ordered twenty-four 1.5 liter bottles of FIJI water from Amazon, just to see if I'd drink it (I'm sure the UPS man loves delivering 10 gallons of water in boxes that look like they could contain toilet paper). After two weeks, the water is nearly gone. Considering what I spend on food, workout supplements, clothing, et cetera, 2-5$/day for water that I actually drink doesn't seem that bad, aside from getting past that I'm paying for imported water (the difference is less if you deduct what I spent on what I had been drinking).

Get an RO unit.

Save lots of money.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I notice none of my critics are writing from Florida

I lived in Miami, FL for 2 years before moving to Houston.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Berkey Filter FTW.

This is the first I have heard of this.

I will be looking into it. Thanks for the info.

De nada. Great tech breakthrough and way too handy to be without.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfft...

I order oxygen and hydrogen in bulk from my wholesaler and just mix it at home myself.

I save tons this way.

Putting all those Hs and Os together by hand must take a while though.  How is the cost savings broken down?  

You can save more money by taking H2O and breaking it down yourself.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]

A lot of the bottled water out there is just filtered tap water.  It's not all spring water like you are led to believe.
This. You do know what Evian spells backwards, right?

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I use zero water at the house. Never looked back to bottled water. All these elaborate sink systems are nice and all but they are expensive as shit. Zero water even gives you rebates for new filters when you send the old ones back.

Purchase this next time and try it out.
http://www.target.com/p/zerowater-23-cup-water-dispenser-and-filtration-system-with-tds-meter/-/A-13167275#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

It's cleaner than Fiji water to boot. The last one I tested was about 70ppm, not bad and sure beats the 400ppm out of my tap
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

im in the same boat. whatever is in our water the brita cant get the taste out
however the filter in our fridge does...so sorta win on that

fwiw the town 5 miles from here has one of the best water systems around
and its well known. seriously some of the best water around.

the city water in our small town. the closer you live in town the worse the water is.
the water at work should come with a permanent boil water notice
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use zero water at the house. Never looked back to bottled water. All these elaborate sink systems are nice and all but they are expensive as shit. Zero water even gives you rebates for new filters when you send the old ones back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcADw_ja68g

Purchase this next time and try it out.
http://www.target.com/p/zerowater-23-cup-water-dispenser-and-filtration-system-with-tds-meter/-/A-13167275#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

It's cleaner than Fiji water to boot. The last one I tested was about 70ppm, not bad and sure beats the 400ppm out of my tap

Kind of funny how they claim dissolved solids are bad. doesn't it depend on what those dissolved solids are?

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would look into filtration.

The bottled water they gave us in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm had a nice "butter" flavor to it.  Even instant lemonade powder couldn't get rid of the taste. Great for making instant noodles, though.  I would have paid to have water shipped if it was an option.

Lol butter flavored water?

In Colorado I ate a couple greasy hot slim jims and chugged water out of two nalgenes.  I guess the grease stuck and I couldn't get ir off the bottle.  The rest of the days in the mountain my water tasted like freaking slim jims.  I can't stand them to this day because of that.

Midland/Odessa has the worst water I've ever tasted.  Slimy and smells like oil.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried the Brita pitcher & filters?  It certainly makes my tap water taste better.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/brita-filter.png

QTF.  

Major improvement, and my wife and I like the OP like our water nice and cold.  I have a few friends who have installed the under-sink filter setups as well - not sure how well they work, but they swear by them.

ETA: Beaten by abnk on the RO system.

You dont understand

Much of floridas water contains tons of sulfur

My well water in ct is amazing, but we had delivery before we moved

I would suspect a good RO system to knock that down pretty darn well.  The RO's we build/use at my employer are pharmaceutical units, not the ones sold in stores.  Ours consistently test to 99.99% pure - and we have to use PVC or stainless steel piping, otherwise it will leach minerals out of the piping (the stainless has to be treated as well - I forget the process, I'm a front office jockey).  If you can find a home unit (I'll bet more expensive) that has the proper setup, it should produce the results the OP and others are looking for - not enough for a lab or research facility, but enough to knock down the bad tastes he's encountering.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#17]
OP,

forget the britas and get you one of these:   http://www.pure-earth.com/

I use it to filter water for making beer.  You can choose which 3 cartridges you want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#18]
The tap water sucks at my house.  I drink Crystal Light to mask the taste.   You could also try a water filter and a squirt of lemon juice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I love FIJI bottled water.  I don't know what it is in there but I prefer that over all the other brands of bottle water.  With that said, I started using the Brita 35530 Ultramax Dispenserand it really makes tap water taste better and drinkable.

Agreed.  The tap here is not bad at all.  With the carbon filter in the fridge it's completely unobjectionable water.  That FIJI must be drugged or something.  I LOVE it.  Rarely spend money on it due to being a cheap-ass.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
An R.O. filter I bought at costco for $170 brought my well water to a lower ppm than bottled water.

There's no reason to buy bottled water, buy a filter instead.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
But can your home filter give you this?
I bought it once thinking it was just a black plastic bottle. Talk about a mind fuck.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Kroger always seems to have sales of 20oz bottles of SmartWater for $1 a bottle.

Look into Brita filter systems too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
In A-stan, the Nestle and the Coca-Cola brand water is best.

Dibba tastes like oil.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The tap water sucks at my house.  I drink Crystal Light to mask the taste.   You could also try a water filter and a squirt of lemon juice.

I'm mesmerized by your avatar
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Good grief.  

1st world problems.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Berkey love? I R Confused.

A lot of people here probably don't know about it unless they have perused the survival forums. I have one and it's great.

Everyone at my house loves the water from our Berkey,  the guests always have positive comments as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In A-stan, the Nestle and the Coca-Cola brand water is best.

Dibba tastes like oil.

Yeah, dibba is nasty! When I was there all the Coca-Cola water got recalled and we had to throw most of it away... But Aqua Gulf is the best I think

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Berkey love? I R Confused.

A lot of people here probably don't know about it unless they have perused the survival forums. I have one and it's great.

Everyone at my house loves the water from our Berkey,  the guests always have positive comments as well.

Used a Berkey when we lived in Africa. If you put really poor quality water into it, it will get to the point that no amount of cleaning your candles or pre-boiling the water will prevent shit from growing in the top half.

Don't get me wrong, the water that comes out of it is perfectly safe, it's just a really high maintenance piece if you're really putting it through its paces.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I feel for you folks that have crappy water.  I've been spoiled on spring water, filtered through hundreds of miles of limestone aquifer.

Water from any other place just doesn't taste right.

Reverse osmosis will remove most problems, odors are best handled by activated carbon filters.  Adding some powdered calcium carbonate and a pinch of calcium sulfate (food grade) can help remove the deionized bitterness.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]
An RO System is a necessity in FL.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#31]
When I lived in Beaufort NC for years I was all about tap water. I guzzled it down by the gallon, refilling bottles and keeping them in the fridge to drink ice cold. Then we had a couple hurricanes roll through. Apparently the water supply got contaminated but they neglected to notify us for several weeks. That was several weeks of me chugging this water since at the time its all I would drink, no soda or even tea. The thought of a dead pig floating in a well and me drinking that water for weeks just turned my stomach. It will take a lot of effort to get me to drink tap water to this day. We have a water cooler and I just swap out the jugs as needed. If I want it on the go I fill a Nalgene or I buy bottled water. Later on I might install a filtration system, I would actually prefer to be on a well, but until then the current setup works fine. Rock on with your Fiji, and I hope its Prime!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I live in S Fla and my water os OK. I do buy Zepherhills though.

Fiji is ggod stuff as it has alot of Silica in it, that is why it has a silky feel to it
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#35]
You do realize that most of that water is just tap water they then put through a carbon filter and add minerals for taste right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
An RO System is a necessity in FL.

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I lived in Beaufort NC for years I was all about tap water. I guzzled it down by the gallon, refilling bottles and keeping them in the fridge to drink ice cold. Then we had a couple hurricanes roll through. Apparently the water supply got contaminated but they neglected to notify us for several weeks. That was several weeks of me chugging this water since at the time its all I would drink, no soda or even tea. The thought of a dead pig floating in a well and me drinking that water for weeks just turned my stomach. It will take a lot of effort to get me to drink tap water to this day. We have a water cooler and I just swap out the jugs as needed. If I want it on the go I fill a Nalgene or I buy bottled water. Later on I might install a filtration system, I would actually prefer to be on a well, but until then the current setup works fine. Rock on with your Fiji, and I hope its Prime!!

That was the worst. I was in Greenville when Floyd came through. 100,000 dead hogs and 600,000 dead chickens in the Tar River. When the water subsided, not only had places sat under water for two weeks, but they sat soaking in rotting hogs and the shit that had come out of the flooded hogshit pools. The whole town smelled like an I-95 south carolina rest stop.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Water tastes great, company destroyed the quality of life of the people of the island. I don't buy it but I do miss it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Get a RO setup. I got mine from Bulk reef supply, for my saltwater fish tank, but also use it for the coffee maker. 0ppm...

It was $160 for the 4 stage. replacements packs are $20.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up in Boca Raton, it taste fine there. Tampa water did too. Move?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't blame you. I've lived at some places that the tap water tastes like ass.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top