Page / 3
Posted: 7/21/2018 1:54:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s a crazy crash, and a damn shame.

Glad all survived.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, just down the road.  They were on takeoff and headed to Oshkosh.  13 persons onboard, pilot airlifted to BAMC with severe burns.  No idea of the cause although some guy on FB is claiming the landing gear collapsed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thankfully no loss of life... but what a shame to lose the aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Looks like the tail got away from him.

Didn't sound like engine issues.

Good to hear all survived.  Prayers for the burned victim.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, just down the road.  They were taxiing for takeoff and headed to Oshkosh.  13 persons onboard, pilot arilifted to BAMC with severe burns.  No idea of the cause although some guy on FB is claiming the landing gear collapsed.
View Quote
The landing gear collapsed from the ground loop.

That fuel spray on impact is a bad,  bad thing.  Thank god it didn't appear to ignite while aerosolized.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Flying in C-47 is on my bucket list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That’s a crazy crash, and a damn shame.

Glad all survived.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Amazing no body died. Sad to loos the plane.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
And an insurance company's adjuster somewhere just said "there goes my weekend"
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
At what point do you call it a quits with these planes, they are old. They are cool as hell but damn.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And an insurance company's adjuster somewhere just said "there goes my weekend"
View Quote
There are 13 people on the aircraft that just said "there goes my vacation and our airplane".  

Thank god they are all alive to talk about it.  Hopefully the PIC can recover from his burns 100 percent.

Sad to see the aircraft destroyed,  But. In the end, it is an aircraft not a life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like the tail never came up and a loss of directional control, which leads me to believe they had the control lock devices still on the stab and rudder during takeoff. That tail should have been flying very soon during the takeoff roll.

I was number 2 for takeoff behind a turbo converted DC-3 in Africa, looked exactly like that. That plane hit a parked Caravan and hit in a ditch next to the runway. Both control lock devices were layin aft of the wreckage.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Good news with C-47’s is there stall/takeoff/land speed is so slow the chances of surviving a crash is higher than a modern jet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At what point do you call it a quits with these planes, they are old. They are cool as hell but damn.
View Quote
At what point to you call it quits with cars,  they are always crashing?  

Never.

BTW,  In many,  many cases.  There is such intensive restoration on these aircraft that they are essentially new.  Properly maintained they will give few problems.  Like all other aircraft,  all it takes is one or two moving parts out of a million to cause the crash.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like the tail never came up and a loss of directional control, which leads me to believe they had the control lock devices still on the stab and rudder during takeoff. That tail should have been flying very soon during the takeoff roll.

I was number 2 for takeoff behind a turbo converted DC-3 in Africa, looked exactly like that. That plane hit a parked Caravan and hit in a ditch next to the runway. Both control lock devices were layin aft of the wreckage.
View Quote
I watched the video a few times...  You might be onto something.  That rudder was not swinging from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Overloaded or outside the CG aft? Partial loss of power on left engine? Insufficient airspeed? Airplane got ahead of pilot?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I watched the video a few times...  You might be onto something.  That rudder was not swinging from what I can tell.
View Quote
If the rudder was locked they wouldn’t be able to control it from the start from all the p factor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't appear that any of the tail surfaces were moving.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like pilot simply pulled up too soon, Looks like the aircraft simply didn't have enough airspeed. Rode in one years ago. Your seating reclined until
tail raises then rotate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Definitely control lock.   Sad waste of a C47, glad no one was killed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see the elevator is working.

looking at the video again on a bigger screen,  It looks like the rudder does swing pretty hard during the stall.

Possibly an unexpected crosswind or the tail just got away from the pilot.  Tail draggers can be a real handful.

I would say,  the tail got away and the pilot rotated to try and recover without sufficient airspeed.  That was most definitely a stall that preceeded the ground loop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Another one down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Uggh.  

There is supposedly a second video out there of the evac and head count.  I cannot find it.  Or any good pictures.  Looks like wind should not have been an issue from reports.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn it
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s been hotter than normal here...110 today in Dallas. That plane needed more speed to take off in this heat. It looked like it was going pretty slow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#29]
See how the ass end is suppose to be off the ground during takeoff. The one that crashed was still on the ground when it tried to take off. Loss of power?

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It’s been hotter than normal here...110 today in Dallas. That plane needed more speed to take off in this heat. It looked like it was going pretty slow.
View Quote
It sounds like both engines were making power.

It looks like the tail got away and the pilot tried to lift without having enough airspeed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Overloaded or outside the CG aft? Partial loss of power on left engine? Insufficient airspeed? Airplane got ahead of pilot?
View Quote
My money is on this
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Not loss of power. Loss of control. You have to be able to fly the tail. Slight forward pressure on the control wheel, even at low air speeds will bring the tail up.

You can't fly the tail if your controls are locked.

And you can't "try to pull up" if your fucking tail wheel is still on the ground. There is no more angle of attack to be had if your tail is on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are 13 people on the aircraft that just said "there goes my vacation and our airplane".  

Thank god they are all alive to talk about it.  Hopefully the PIC can recover from his burns 100 percent.

Sad to see the aircraft destroyed,  But. In the end, it is an aircraft not a life.
View Quote
Is a beautiful plane shame to see her burn. She goes up for short local tours of the area. From what I understand the one that got airlifted had burns to arms, legs and waist.  Three others had minor burns and were transferred from local hospital to higher care. Was original total of 13 patients.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not loss of power. Loss of control. You have to be able to fly the tail. Slight forward pressure on the control wheel, even at low air speeds will bring the tail up.

You can't fly the tail if your controls are locked.
View Quote
You are correct.

However in the video the elevator is in the up position at about 20 degree position.  He was forcing the tail in to the ground.

I was in the gust lock camp.  But having installed gust locks on a c-47,  when the locks are on properly you have no movement.

I think the tail got away from him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like loss of elevator control to me.

Just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is a beautiful plane shame to see her burn. She goes up for short local tours of the area. From what I understand the one that got airlifted had burns to arms, legs and waist.  Three others had minor burns and were transferred from local hospital to higher care. Was original total of 9 patients.
View Quote
Jumped from the plane into the burning fuel?

I hope all can recover 100 percent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn shame. Hope everyone comes out OK. Those birds may be old, but they're probably the toughest damn airframes ever built. Some of the things they've come through still flying are amazing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn shame. Hope everyone comes out OK. Those birds may be old, but they're probably the toughest damn airframes ever built. Some of the things they've come through still flying are amazing.
View Quote
Looks burned to the ground. All that I see left is a engine and the tail.

https://m.facebook.com/burnetbulletin/photos/a.677770242281925.1073741825.104782256247396/1861690023889935/?type=3
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what it looked like to me as well. Aircraft was veering off the paved runway. Pilot didn't pull the power off???  What the hell??
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's what it looked like to me as well. Aircraft was veering off the paved runway. Pilot didn't pull the power off???  What the hell??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched on a bit bigger screen.  There is movement on the tail surfaces.  He has the elevator at about a 20 degree up position and the rudder does swing left and right upon the wing stall.

I am beginning to think he got behind the tail and tried to force the plane off of the ground when it departed the runway, without enough airspeed.

If that was the case he might have been better off to continue the takeoff from the grass seeing the C-47 is an off runway capable aircraft.

Having installed gust locks on c-47's and DC-3's,  Once installed properly there should be no movement.  That is a crap quality video,  but I cannot see any locks visible either.  
We will see for sure upon the investigation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
The critical parts are replaced as necessary to meet FAA regulations. They also have modern avionics as required by law.

The control surfaces are activated by cable, IIRC, which is old school, but also simple and dependable.

Shit happens. That doesn't mean the examples still flying are not flightworthy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Probably a museum pilot, they have been crashing a lot of relics lately. If the controls are locked the first step is to promptly abort takeoff. It should have been obvious the controls were locked early in the takeoff run.  I didn't see any flaps, looks like the tailwheel is kicking up dirt. Did he lose direction control? What was the wind doing? I believe he should have aborted takeoff when he realized he was in trouble.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#43]
When you guys say "the tail got away from him", please explain to us non-pilots.

Also, what do you mean by "control locks"?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
They didn't perform a walk around to verify the control surfaces were free? Jeez.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#45]
That's something I hope I never see again. Those old aircraft are more than private property -- they are national treasures. Only the most capable and experienced pilots should be allowed to fly them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When you guys say "the tail got away from him", please explain to us non-pilots.

View Quote
The people saying "the tail got away from him" are non pilots.

Edit: Control locks on that aircraft are metal devices that hold the moving part of the tail surfaces against the non- moving parts to keep them from moving while the aircraft is parked. Wind gusts can slam the controls around if they are not installed. They attach usually with bungee cords, and have red flags on them to remind pilots to remove before flight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
On a tail dragger you have to react to the tendency of the tail to swing from anything from p-factor to side wind.  You have to almost predict it sometimes.  If you react after the tail has already begun its swing you are already in trouble.  If you react after the swing you are likely going to exacerbate the issue.  Think Pilot induced oscillation.

There are control locks and gust locks.  Control locks generally install on the yokes and prevent the control of the... well controls.  Gust locks install on the control surfaces and prevent the wind from allowing the control surfaces to move freely in the wind.  
If either are not removed you have no control over the aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#48]
The tiger had them by the tail shortly after brakes release.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They didn't perform a walk around to verify the control surfaces were free? Jeez.
View Quote
You would think so but that's what happened to the B17 prototype, the Model 299 in 1935. The crew forgot to unlock the gust locks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#50]
If the rudder was locked how would the plane taxi into position for take off?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top