BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
A closer look at a DC-3 take off at 1:55

Extremely Rare DC-3 Florida Air Cargo Taking off from Runway 9 at Miami International,FL
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't think about it until I drove by there today, but since it's a small town airport the passengers/crew were lucky the main fire station is right there next to it for a quick response  and there is a hospital a block away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question for aviation nuts (nuttier than me, that is):

Are warbirds & vintage aircraft de-tuned?  Since they’re no longer combat capable.
I’m not suggesting either loss was power related, just curious about how wrung out the are (or are not)
View Quote
Some of them, especially p-47s and large bombers, no longer have functioning turbochargers.  Since they aren't often doing a max gross weight climb to 27,000 feet, not normally an issue.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks like the tail never came up and a loss of directional control, which leads me to believe they had the control lock devices still on the stab and rudder during takeoff. That tail should have been flying very soon during the takeoff roll.

I was number 2 for takeoff behind a turbo converted DC-3 in Africa, looked exactly like that. That plane hit a parked Caravan and hit in a ditch next to the runway. Both control lock devices were layin aft of the wreckage.
View Quote
Seeing how control locks causing a crash of the first B-17 being the Genesis of the modern check list.  It seems amazing that these types of crashes still happen...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good news with C-47’s is there stall/takeoff/land speed is so slow the chances of surviving a crash is higher than a modern jet.
View Quote
I forget the actual numbers but the vast majority of crashes involve forces your body can withstand.  It's smoke an fire that kills most people.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
According to Wiki, there are almost two dozen airworthy C-47s still flying in the US and maybe a half dozen airworthy examples internationally. Certainly, a better situation than the B-29, with only two remaining airworthy examples, both in the US.
View Quote
There are DC-3/C-47's still hauling cargo out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Wiki, there are almost two dozen airworthy C-47s still flying in the US and maybe a half dozen airworthy examples internationally. Certainly, a better situation than the B-29, with only two remaining airworthy examples, both in the US.
I flew into Fairbanks recently and there was a cargo company that had a ton of DC-3s, C-46s, and DC-4s that they were still flying regularly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Aviation expert Michael Slack on the Bluebonnet Belle crash
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Dan Gryder's commentary who owns a DC-3.

Video

Left seat DC-3 Engine Failure Drill + a different take on Multi Engine Flight Training
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top