Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2013 11:46:02 AM EDT
I'm currently checking out Mere Christianity. I'm new to philosophical type books. Kinda blowing my mind a little.

Anyone else read it? Similar books? Preferably no 2000 page novels.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked C.S. Lewis.  Interesting take on things.

He was one of the few apologists that didn't drive me bat-shit crazy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read it. Pretty good book. When I have time I plan to read it again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I read it a long time ago.  Lots of circular reasoning and other problems.  I wasn't impressed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Read "The Abolition of Man", it is his best work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Mere Christianity is a delightfully complex book disguised in complete simplicity.  Read it twice and you will be equally blown away the second time.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The Screwtape Letters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
awesome book
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I was a big fan of The Screwtape Letters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to have a copy of that, not sure what happened to it, but I haven't read it yet. I love the Chronicles of Narnia, even read them as an adult. Another great book is The Screwtape Letters, it will really make you think. His Space Trilogy (not sure what the name for it is) is also good, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have read The Screwtape Letters and it was good in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
He was a master.

Here is a good speech about him and some of his contributions.

The Writings and Contributions of C.S. Lewis-Track 6

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
He was a WWI vet disabled by mustard gas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
CS Lewis was mandatory reading for my kids.  I also suggest: Pilgrim's Progress, Hinds feet on high places.  Watchman Nee series. And...that german guy I forget right now   EDIT:.....Bohnhoffer (?)  I just remembered
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#14]
A horse and his boy is still my favorite but Mere Christianity still blows the mind. I havent read it in a while though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm currently checking out Mere Christianity. I'm new to philosophical type books. Kinda blowing my mind a little.

View Quote
Good. Keep reading.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have read The Screwtape Letters and it was good in my opinion.
View Quote

I gonna check this one out next.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Mere Christianity is a great read.

Try the Screwtape books next if you like it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Screw tape letters
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone who likes CS Lewis would do well to read some Graham Greene.  Same perspective but his fiction is more adult themed.

The novella he wrote for The Third Man is fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are more geared towards Christian writings, then another one that is good for mental exercise is Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee.

He was a Chinese man who was arrested and imprisoned for his beliefs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Of course, GK Chesterton is the master of this genre, his biography of Aquinas and Everlasting Man being great reads.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can listen to the complete audio book here

A great author and Christian apologist.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#23]
His best novel is Till We Have Faces,

It was also his last.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Read his "Space Triology"     1st one is  'out of the silent planet',  2nd is "perelandra", and the 3rd is " That hideous strength".

Good Reading
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Another good read would be the Screwtape Letters.
On a vaguely related note, Tolkein's "Treebeard" character was based on CS Lewis; the two were homies who spent much time keepin' it real in the ghettos of Oxford.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#26]
The good thing about Lewis theology books are that they are short.
I enjoyed the four loves as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#27]
You might also be interested in some of Harvey Cox's works, such as the The Secular City, or the article he wrote for Playboy in 1969 entitled For Christ's Sake. I enjoy getting different perspectives, even if they don't quite mesh with mine.

A perfect example can be found on my bookshelf right now: Stott''s Why I Am A Christian sits right next to Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Of course, GK Chesterton is the master of this genre, his biography of Aquinas and Everlasting Man being great reads.
View Quote

Lewis credits Everlasting Man as being a key to his conversion.  That book takes a lot of time to digest.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I really enjoy C.S Lewis' way of saying startlingly simple things I never thought of before
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Read his "Space Triology"     1st one is  'out of the silent planet',  2nd is "perelandra", and the 3rd is " That hideous strength".

Good Reading
View Quote

I loved the first two, but hated THS. It was just awful.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I just read it and The Abolition of Man, both were very good.   I found his still of writing a bit difficult to read, it reminded me of how I write when I am debating someone...I didn't like that.  It is a decent apologetic for Christianity but there is better stuff out there now but his work is a classic.  I wish he hadn't caved on the issue of evolution, I suppose there is a lot he didn't know about it back then but still, just going from scripture being truth he should have held onto proper creation and rode out the storm of the new fad.  Never the less, I guess I've had to battle with those contradictions myself so I can understand where he was coming from.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually downloaded the audiobook and have been listening to it at work. I was afraid if I admitted it, the peanut gallery would beat on me for taking the easy road.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#33]
A Canticle for Leibowitz is considered the top of its field.

For purely Christian philosophy, Augustine: City of God is a life changing work and one that should be read by almost anyone interested in religion.

I'm very clearly a City of Man individual and will remain so.  But Christian, fallen Christian, and non Christian should read the work.  It's brilliant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Next thing you know....you'll be reading Tom Robbins books...
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I actually downloaded the audiobook and have been listening to it at work. I was afraid if I admitted it, the peanut gallery would beat on me for taking the easy road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read it years ago and just recently purchased the audio book. My wife is listening in the car to and from work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read it, great book!  One of my favorite apologetics authors is Ravi Zacharias. I've read several of his books, but my favorite so far is "Jesus Among Other Gods".  You can also go to oneplace.com to listen to his podcasts along with many other Christian authors/pastors.  

I also recommend "The Case for Christ" written by journalist and one time atheist, Lee Strobel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the Mere Christianity app for my IPhone. It's an easy to use audiobook app.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Reading it now.  Good book.  Another good one on Christianity, though not in the same philosophical vein, is The Screwtape Letters.  It's essentially an example of a Christian man dealing with temptation from the point of view of a noob devil who keeps screwing it up.  Humorous, yet informative concerning the Christian perspective on things.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Big fan of Chronicles of Narnia, but that's about as deep as I get.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#41]
good stuff....and as has been recommended...The Screwtape Letters.    and my second sig line is Lewis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone who likes CS Lewis would do well to read some Graham Greene.  Same perspective but his fiction is more adult themed.

The novella he wrote for The Third Man is fantastic.
View Quote

I like his early thrillers better.  His novels from the late 50's on are pretty obvious.  A guy questioning whether his life has any meaning is named Querry?  Ouch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Good Reading
View Quote

glad someone mentioned this.

even as a former christian (now agnostic), i still really enjoy lewis.  screwtape letters was a favorite in childhood, and still holds up well.  narnia is pure allegory, but in the best of ways.  of all his fiction, the space trilogy is the most philosophically interesting and thought-provoking, as well as being a damn good read.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Next thing you know....you'll be reading Tom Robbins books...
View Quote

tom robbins kicks ass.

but some of his books are
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Love that book.

The thought that "bad cannot even be wholly bad for it's own sake, while good can be wholly good" blew my mind some.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#47]
That man graduated with 5 first class honors from Oxford University.

Got to be the most prominent thinker of the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
His best novel is Till We Have Faces,

It was also his last.
View Quote

By far my favorite. Need to read it again.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#49]
This quote really tied it all together for me...

"But supposing God became a man - suppose our human nature which can suffer and die was amalgamated with God's nature in one person - then that person could help us. He could surrender His will, and suffer and die, because He was man; and He could do it perfectly because He was God. You and I can go through this process only if God does it in us; but God can only do it if He becomes man. Our attempts at this dying will succeed only if we men share in God's dying, just as our thinking can succeed only because it is a drop out of the ocean of His intelligence: but we cannot share God's dying unless God dies; and He cannot die except by being a man. That is the sense in which He pays our debt, and suffers for us what He Himself need not suffer at all.”

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have started both The Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity without ever finishing either. I cannot seem to wrap my mind around his writing style.

I am excited to try out the audio books as Mere Christianity was originally presented as a radio broadcast. I might finally get through it!!

Thanks for the link!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top