Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a C-130 from LRAFB that had a raft deploy and it got hung up on the left stab.   I've seen the pics and knew the FE onboard when it happened.   Here's an article for another "T" model that had it happen.

Raft Deploy Inflight
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Maj. Caine Michael Goyette, 41, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Capt. Sean E. Elliott, 30,with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Gunnery Sgt. Mark A. Hopkins, 34, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Gunnery Sgt. Brendan C. Johnson, 45, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Staff Sgt. Robert H. Cox, 28, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Staff Sgt. William Kundrat, 33, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Sgt. Chad Jenson, 25, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Sgt. Julian M. Kevianne, 31, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Sgt. Talon Leach, 27, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Sgt. Owen Lennon, 26, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Ryan Lohrey, 30, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Sgt. Joseph Murray, 26, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Sgt. Dietrich Schmieman, 26, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion

Sgt. Joshua M. Snowden, 31, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Cpl. Daniel Baldassare, 20, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452

Cpl. Collin J. Schaaff, 22, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Corpsman has a Purple Heart.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone here know what time they took off from NKT?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No such mechanism exists. The rafts bucket releases are connect via cable direct to two handles in the forward 245 of the cockpit and two above the aft toilet and one under a bird patch in each wing.

And to disable any emergency equipment purposely outside of published norms would be grounds for being grounded and subject to disciplinary action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I was a C130 pilot right now I would be having a conversation with my flight engineer about pulling the power supply or what ever powers the wing life rafts...if it was or has a breaker you can bet it would be disabled until I am doing my ditch checklist.
No such mechanism exists. The rafts bucket releases are connect via cable direct to two handles in the forward 245 of the cockpit and two above the aft toilet and one under a bird patch in each wing.

And to disable any emergency equipment purposely outside of published norms would be grounds for being grounded and subject to disciplinary action.
Indeed, it is really a ridiculous system. They should have gone to floor mounted rafts years ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the score with that raft system?

1. Lives saved vs. lives lost.

2. Necessary deployment vs. accidental deployment.

Overall, has It been an asset or a liability?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I never understood the purpose of the wing liferafts on our C-141's.  In reality, surviving a ditching was pretty slim.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the score with that raft system?

1. Lives saved vs. lives lost.

2. Necessary deployment vs. accidental deployment.

Overall, has It been an asset or a liability?
View Quote
I researched it a bit a year ago when we grounded or entire fleet for bad valves in the life raft inflation system.  There has only been one successful ditching that they were used in from what I could find, in more than 60 years of hauling those stupid things around on top of the wing. A Colombian C-130 ditched successfully after running out of gas, and floated for two days...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never understood the purpose of the wing liferafts on our C-141's.  In reality, surviving a ditching was pretty slim.
View Quote
Both FACTS and Flight Safety (widely considered to be experts about this) teaches that 80% of ditching's are survivable. They're there for a reason...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maj. Caine Michael Goyette, 41, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsfdzVWsAA6dwM.jpg

Capt. Sean E. Elliott, 30,with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsfxklXgAARuJv.jpg

Gunnery Sgt. Mark A. Hopkins, 34, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsgCfcXgAEyrOG.jpg

Gunnery Sgt. Brendan C. Johnson, 45, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsgP22XkAAvavs.jpg

Staff Sgt. Robert H. Cox, 28, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsgXd1XkAAzC5f.jpg

Staff Sgt. William Kundrat, 33, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsgjBAW0AANjUx.jpg

Sgt. Chad Jenson, 25, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsgsc9XsAAXEus.jpg

Sgt. Julian M. Kevianne, 31, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsg2CSXcAAuCjY.jpg

Sgt. Talon Leach, 27, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsg95NXUAEVPug.jpg

Sgt. Owen Lennon, 26, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEshGR3XYAExXls.jpg

Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Ryan Lohrey, 30, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEshSH7WAAAOccx.jpg

Sgt. Joseph Murray, 26, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEshdINXYAENYBG.jpg

Sgt. Dietrich Schmieman, 26, with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEshqTVWsAAp48c.jpg

Sgt. Joshua M. Snowden, 31, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsiB8hXoAQ0CBj.jpg

Cpl. Daniel Baldassare, 20, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsiQmTWAAEdva4.jpg

Cpl. Collin J. Schaaff, 22, with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEsiVx1WAAAytVu.jpg
View Quote
Some sharp looking Marines there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Tragedy on US 41 - The C 130 Plane Crash
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm very familiar with that accident.   There is nothing common between these two however.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Both FACTS and Flight Safety (widely considered to be experts about this) teaches that 80% of ditching's are survivable. They're there for a reason...
View Quote
If you say so.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Rest in Peace Gentlemen.

Thank you for your Service to our great country.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you say so.
View Quote
We were all pretty content that with a turbo prop high wing aircraft that if we had to ditch in the water, that we'd all kiss our asses good bye. The guys in Kenya that shot their own aircraft down many survived the ditching because it was shallow water.

NATOPS had instructions on how to land between the waves..rofl. Easy shit..nightime, massive failures to where you have to ditch..yeah, ditch like this __________________.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We were all pretty content that with a turbo prop high wing aircraft that if we had to ditch in the water, that we'd all kiss our asses good bye. The guys in Kenya that shot their own aircraft down many survived the ditching because it was shallow water.

NATOPS had instructions on how to land between the waves..rofl. Easy shit..nightime, massive failures to where you have to ditch..yeah, ditch like this __________________.
View Quote
That was pretty much the belief when I was flying.  Ditching procedures in the book were almost laughable. "At touchdown, hold the nose off as long as possible
to delay digging the nose into the swells" sounds fine and dandy sitting at a desk writing a manual...try it in the middle of the night somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic when shit is going wrong all around you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That was pretty much the belief when I was flying.  Ditching procedures in the book were almost laughable. "At touchdown, hold the nose off as long as possible
to delay digging the nose into the swells" sounds fine and dandy sitting at a desk writing a manual...try it in the middle of the night somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic when shit is going wrong all around you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, your type gets nervous landing anywhere without a golf course.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, your type gets nervous landing anywhere without a golf course.
View Quote
What did you do?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What did you do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you do?
Can we not ruin this thread please.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What did you do?
View Quote
Edited..Yawn...Guys up front never give up..no shit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What did you do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you do?
Not an aviator but I have ridden in the back a time or two.

Here is my take:  The whining about ditching procedures set me off.  If you make it down to the waves, you are still aviating and you still have a chance.  The chances may not be great, but you still have a chance.  The training and procedures exist to maximize that chance.  Making fun of those procedures is unprofessional and does not bring dignity or credit to the service.

When I rode in the back, I had the utmost respect for and confidence in those up front driving the bird.

I know what it is like to lose good friends flying.  

Please excuse my inter-service gig and let us keep this thread on track.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, and jump wings and a scuba badge too.

Very accomplished young man.

Wonder if he was aiming for SEAL qual?

I have no words to describe how looking at the photos of these brave men makes me feel.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Edited.

Apology made above.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#25]
ETA: Disregard.  Apology made above.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have no words to describe how looking at the photos of these brave men makes me feel.

View Quote
No. He's a SARC which is a very prestigious job.  If he wanted to be a SEAL I'm sure he would have been. His picture will forever be on the wall at the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center as we do with all our fallen special operation medics. 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No. He's a SARC which is a very prestigious job.  If he wanted to be a SEAL I'm sure he would have been. His picture will forever be on the wall at the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center as we do with all our fallen special operation medics. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess IDK what a SARC is, so hopefully a Navy guy can explain.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Scuba and Jump wings too...RIP Brothers
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I guess IDK what a SARC is, so hopefully a Navy guy can explain.
View Quote

Now as for What SARC stands for here you go

Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman

SARCs are trained and specialized in the same aspects of their Recon Marine and special operator counterparts: amphibious entry, deep recon and direct action. They are also capable of conducting detailed underwater ship-bottom searches. During operational status, the teams will then be dispersed evenly throughout the Marine recon platoons; usually one amphibious recon corpsman per platoon. SARCs have regularly acted as a point man, sharp shooter, radio operator, or even the team leader in the Marine recon teams/platoons. More recently, SARCs are being deployed with Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC), Naval Special Warfare and Army Special Forces units due to their highly advanced skills in combat trauma care and diving medicine.

Very Small Elite Medical team less than 200 Men

Linky Holy shit are they well trained

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now as for What SARC stands for here you go

Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman

SARCs are trained and specialized in the same aspects of their Recon Marine and special operator counterparts: amphibious entry, deep recon and direct action. They are also capable of conducting detailed underwater ship-bottom searches. During operational status, the teams will then be dispersed evenly throughout the Marine recon platoons; usually one amphibious recon corpsman per platoon. SARCs have regularly acted as a point man, sharp shooter, radio operator, or even the team leader in the Marine recon teams/platoons. More recently, SARCs are being deployed with Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC), Naval Special Warfare and Army Special Forces units due to their highly advanced skills in combat trauma care and diving medicine.

Very Small Elite Medical team less than 200 Men

Linky Holy shit are they well trained

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/US_Navy_SARC_Insignia.jpg/450px-US_Navy_SARC_Insignia.jpg
View Quote
SOIDC is not necessarily a requirement. Usually senior dudes will return for that course. 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#31]
IIRC, gold wings were earned after X amount of jump or a combat jump..the Corpsman helmet is gold, does that signify a combat dive or # of dives?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
IIRC, gold wings were earned after X amount of jump or a combat jump..the Corpsman helmet is gold, does that signify a combat dive or # of dives?
View Quote
Combatant Diver
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
i

All the time..the aircraft can do anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it common practice to use a 'tanker' for cargo duties and is it common practice for a tanker to carry passengers? 

Serious questions as I don't know and I'm curious. 
i

All the time..the aircraft can do anything.
If anyone wants to see what a Herc looks like during an inflight refueling mission, here's a CBS11 reporter's 2011 video about doing a fam flight onboard a KC-130T, with VMGR-234 in Ft Worth:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1561888027165948&id=200588529962578
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If anyone wants to see what a Herc looks like during an inflight refueling mission, here's a CBS11 reporter's 2011 video about doing a fam flight onboard a KC-130T, with VMGR-234 in Ft Worth:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1561888027165948&id=200588529962578
View Quote
bad link
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone heard/seen any new information?

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#36]
The most important part was accomplished and everyone was found.

Can't/wouldn't/shouldn't say much else.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard/seen any new information?

View Quote
I've been keeping tabs with some old friends that were in and part of the community still and locally for Julian.

I think it will be quite some time before the Marines and Lockheed are willing to release anything. The 'cause' may truly never be known and if it is, it will have to be scrubbed 1000 times over for various reasons.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#38]
God bless those brave men.  RIP.

I did a double take on those photos.  One of those men looks so much like my son Matt that he could be Matt's brother.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Lohrey's body is scheduled to arrive Thursday at Indianapolis International Airport around 5:45 p.m. with plans for people to line the procession starting at 7 p.m. A military funeral procession will then start at the Knightstown exit and travel through Lohrey's hometown of Middletown before arriving at a New Castle funeral home.
View Quote
http://fox59.com/2017/07/27/body-of-indiana-sailor-killed-in-military-plane-crash-returning-home/
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've been keeping tabs with some old friends that were in and part of the community still and locally for Julian.

I think it will be quite some time before the Marines and Lockheed are willing to release anything. The 'cause' may truly never be known and if it is, it will have to be scrubbed 1000 times over for various reasons.
View Quote
That sounds like a weapons discharge of some kind, accidental or defective.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like the Marines are grounding all the "T" models for a bit while the investigation continues.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like the Marines are grounding all the "T" models for a bit while the investigation continues.
View Quote
That does not sound good.  It well could be something systemic.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interestingly, no other operators of H models have grounded theirs.  It's not out of the ordinary to order a safety stand-down after a fatal accident, I've seen it done dozens of times.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Interestingly, no other operators of H models have grounded theirs.  It's not out of the ordinary to order a safety stand-down after a fatal accident, I've seen it done dozens of times.
View Quote
I can't say more than the entire fleet of USN/USMC KC-130T models are grounded until further notice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Continued thoughts and prayers for the families and friends and community.

As unfortunate as this event is/was, I hope it is a one-off and the Ts fly again soon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Any recent tidbits of info about the cause(s)? Seems like something more might have been discovered.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#49]
As far ditching goes, it's survivalable under a wide number of circumstances. As my father noted, he's got a couple of thousand ditchings and only once was the airplane not immediately useable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any recent tidbits of info about the cause(s)? Seems like something more might have been discovered.
View Quote

Information discovered by the investigation board is privileged, don't expect to hear anything official for at least a few months.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top