Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why 4 years? Why not 2? How about pay cash?
View Quote
Most people don't have the cash, and have very little net worth.

So it's just a rule of thumb to help people determine if they should afford a car since there are more then a few entities that will provide irresponsible loans to people.

The rule is a MINIMUM 20% down, MAXIMUM 4 year loan, and MAXIMUM 10% gross income for all car related expenses.  Which includes the payment, insurance, maintenance, upkeep, and fuel.  So, TOTAL car expense shouldn't exceed 10%.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So it's just a rule of thumb to help people determine if they should afford a car since there are more then a few entities that will provide irresponsible loans to people.

The rule is a MINIMUM 20% down, MAXIMUM 4 year loan, and MAXIMUM 10% gross income for all car related expenses.  Which includes the payment, insurance, maintenance, upkeep, and fuel.  So, TOTAL car expense shouldn't exceed 10%.  
View Quote
I think he was referring to the seemingly random numbers. What is the significance of 4 years?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 4 years? Why not 2? How about pay cash?

Boooo

Lol

20% down on the car here is only 10% down on the actual car because sales tax is 10%

Bunch of sauce if you ask me
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think he was referring to the seemingly random numbers. What is the significance of 4 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably due to depreciation schedules

Normally 36-39 months is about 50-60% of the sales price is left

Luxury stuff your normally 60-70% off of sticker at year 5
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's just a maximum duration.  It's only been the last couple of decades that new car loans went longer than 48 months.

People that have to go beyond a 48 month new car loan in order to make the "payment" affordable to them, probably shouldn't.  The fact that we now have dealerships regularly willing to roll upside down balances into new car loans is indicative of the problem.  Hell, some dealerships actively advertise their willingness to do upside down loans, so the market for people who make poor choices is there and obvious.

It's insane.

If you can't put 20% down ...you aren't a person that has the discipline to save.  If you have to go longer than 48 months, you can't afford the car.  If your total car expense (payment, maintenance, gas, and insurance) is over 10% of your income, you're an idiot who will be poor for the rest of your life due to your poor choices, and bad priorities.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that they leaked the convertible will be a hard top, I’m very interested.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you can't put 20% down ...you aren't a person that has the discipline to save.  If you have to go longer than 48 months, you can't afford the car.  If your total car expense (payment, maintenance, gas, and insurance) is over 10% of your income, you're an idiot who will be poor for the rest of your life due to your poor choices, and bad priorities.
View Quote
FWIW the last GM car I bought my wife was 0% for 60 months or 3.9% for 48 months.  Only an idiot would take the 48 month loan.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably due to depreciation schedules

Normally 36-39 months is about 50-60% of the sales price is left

Luxury stuff your normally 60-70% off of sticker at year 5
View Quote
Maybe for MSRP, but only arf Toyota 4Runner owners pay MSRP.

Shit posting aside. Brand new Ram Laramie 4x4 Ecodiesel have been going for $33-35k. Those prices are thanks to generous incentives, which we should all be shopping for no? 2015 model similarly equipped is fair market at $27k. Talking 20-25% depreciation for 50 months...

As for American performance, cause we are talking corvette not German. You again have to assume discounts. Chevy did 20% off the Chevy SS a couple years back (ok that’s Ausi not American) and on the C7 grand sports I think 15%, Z06 was 12%. If you assume that, those figures just don’t even come close to holding true. Maybe for an auto stingray with old man chrome rims, but definitely not on the manuals as they have proven to hold value.

But I can even make the case on German luxury cars. Take a Porsche GT2 RS, you can do 144 month loans on super cars btw. Now price them out one year old, notice they hold value extremely well if not increased. And if you want the hottest new car, what makes more sense? There are rich fuckers out there who are basically just paying sales tax on new cars and getting them payment free cause of this. (SALT cap has to sting a bit on this game btw)

And if your come back to that is, “but people will pay MSRP.” No shit, they are also the ones that will never listen to any financial advice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you tell us more?
View Quote
This was apparently displayed at the end of the unveiling show:

Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now that they leaked the convertible will be a hard top, I’m very interested.
View Quote
IMHO there's not enough added openness with the convertible to justify it's added cost over the coupe with the top out.  On a C6 or C7 yes but the C8 you gain very little.

Some convenience I suppose vs manually taking a top out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#11]
^ Their first mistake imo.

Targa top FTW.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
That is the coupe with the targa top removed. That is standard. And not the Spyder.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Rendering of the hardtop convertible.

Red 2020 Corvette Convertible

Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see weight and less rigidity for what, a dip behind and between the passenger and driver? If I could afford a new one, that would be a hard pass.
View Quote
The coupe has a removable targa top. So no rigidity is really lost.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see weight and less rigidity for what, a dip behind and between the passenger and driver? If I could afford a new one, that would be a hard pass.
View Quote
I love my sports cars with humps! So it's a hard "YES!!!" for me!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
We Spied the 2020 Chevy Corvette C8 Convertible, Revealing New Details

This is also the first time we have seen the C8 convertible with the top in place, as Chevy's teasers only showed it with the top down. It will be a folding hardtop in the vein of other mid-engined supercars like the Ferrari 488 and the McLaren 720S. The hardtop seems to be a two-piece unit that will surely be powered, although we couldn't spot a button or switch in the interior that controls it. The top will likely fold into the space between the back of the seats and the engine.

Given how close to production this prototype looked (and the fact that Chevy has already basically shown us the car), we expect the C8 convertible to debut by the end of the year. Expect to pay a premium of around $5000 over the standard C8 coupe, which itself has a manually removable targa roof that stows in the frunk.

Continued
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Friend just sold back his C7 GrandSport for 52k.

My 2015 GT goes in for it's 4th AC repair today.    Ca law permits seeking lemon law remedies 4 years after purchase.    My purchase date was Aug 19 2015.

May be pushing the Lemon Law as soon as I find out what is wrong with my POS.

Gal who originally sold me the car said the standard offer is amount paid out minus mileage.   My mileage is 12074 miles.   If it is 30 cents a mile that means maybe 3k dollars off the 37k I have paid.

Will see how this pans out but if I am between 35-37k back it may go into a stash while I wait to jump on a 2019 GrandSpory 2lt or 3lt.

Only thing making choice difficult is I have a 66 mustang 2bbl and a Dart 331 long block in the garage that I could complete with the money.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Friend just sold back his C7 GrandSport for 52k.

My 2015 GT goes in for it's 4th AC repair today.    Ca law permits seeking lemon law remedies 4 years after purchase.    My purchase date was Aug 19 2015.

May be pushing the Lemon Law as soon as I find out what is wrong with my POS.

Gal who originally sold me the car said the standard offer is amount paid out minus mileage.   My mileage is 12074 miles.   If it is 30 cents a mile that means maybe 3k dollars off the 37k I have paid.

Will see how this pans out but if I am between 35-37k back it may go into a stash while I wait to jump on a 2019 GrandSpory 2lt or 3lt.

Only thing making choice difficult is I have a 66 mustang 2bbl and a Dart 331 long block in the garage that I could complete with the money.
View Quote
Dealer tried the mileage BS when they agreed to buy my vehicle back, I said nope. It took a few more calls and they finally agreed. My vehicle was only two months old though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dealer tried the mileage BS when they agreed to buy my vehicle back, I said nope. It took a few more calls and they finally agreed. My vehicle was only two months old though.
View Quote
The risk of it going to court and losing, where they will pay attorney's fees on top of full refund of fees paid, should be enough to get a fair compromise on the buy back price.

If it were to goto court it would be give me everything I paid in.    Avoiding court it could be a simple give me everything minus 1k bucks as a mileage alotment.

This was not a case of me wanting to ever sell this car.   But it has gotten to the point that I hate seeing it in the garage.   Naturally, eating KBB depreciation isnt as attractive an option.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The risk of it going to court and losing, where they will pay attorney's fees on top of full refund of fees paid, should be enough to get a fair compromise on the buy back price.

If it were to goto court it would be give me everything I paid in.    Avoiding court it could be a simple give me everything minus 1k bucks as a mileage alotment.

This was not a case of me wanting to ever sell this car.   But it has gotten to the point that I hate seeing it in the garage.   Naturally, eating KBB depreciation isnt as attractive an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about when the tops are up/on?
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
You will probably gain an immeasurable or unnoticeable amount. The aluminum frame/tub is engineered to not require the top. I have to imagine it is rather sturdy from the pictures.

And from what the engineering team did with the C7, I doubt you would notice any difference on the C8. They have become rather competent in designing cars for the track.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#25]
It looks great, except for the rear end. The C7 looks better from the rear. It's faster than the C7 in the quarter mile and top end speed. Handles better than all Vettes before due to the weight distribution of being mid-engine. It's going to be very close performance wise to cars costing 3-4 times as much on road courses and track.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a problem with a suburban back in 2002..GM bought it back at full price paid minus 1 dollar, and they paid my lawyer fee's...that was 2 weeks after the lawyer sent them notice to sue under the lemon law...The truck was 17 months old with almost 18000 miles on it...
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had a problem with a suburban back in 2002..GM bought it back at full price paid minus 1 dollar, and they paid my lawyer fee's...that was 2 weeks after the lawyer sent them notice to sue under the lemon law...The truck was 17 months old with almost 18000 miles on it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got lucky.

The service manager and regional guy for Land Rover were absolute pricks. The sales manager, general manager and owner went above and beyond.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Life is good.

2020 760hp Ford Mustang GT500

Most Powerful Street-legal Ford EVER! 760hp Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Shredding w/Vaughn Gittin Jr.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Corvette gatherings out here are going to be insane now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Corvette gatherings out here are going to be insane now.
View Quote
The Bloomington GOLD Corvette show next year will be hilarious.

The C8 will introduce a strange dichotomy of Corvette owners to mix with "Corvette Purists".

Because I have a feeling the C8 will have some interesting modifications/aftermarket offerings.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Your advice is dumb.

Get as low a rate for as long as you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many reason's the Millennials haven't been as big on buying new cars as past generations.  Cars have gotten expensive, new car prices have increased more than household incomes.  Even some car guys are acknowledging this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raaM2zcpAoM

The average person has to finance their car purchase.  The responsible way to do this is to apply the 20/4/10 rule.  Which means a min of 20% down, a maximum 4 year loan term and a maximum of 10% of your gross monthly income spent on total car expense.  This includes loan payment, gas, maintenance (service, oil changes, car washes) and the cost to insurance the car.

Using this rule 20/40/10 rule:  A person would need a $162,000 annual income to afford to buy and own a new Corvette.  If you need anything longer than a 4 year loan, you probably shouldn't buy the car or truck.
Your advice is dumb.

Especially if you believe you can get a higher ROI than the interest you will pay....  can always pay it off early!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Especially if you believe you can get a higher ROI than the interest you will pay....  can always pay it off early!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many reason's the Millennials haven't been as big on buying new cars as past generations.  Cars have gotten expensive, new car prices have increased more than household incomes.  Even some car guys are acknowledging this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raaM2zcpAoM

The average person has to finance their car purchase.  The responsible way to do this is to apply the 20/4/10 rule.  Which means a min of 20% down, a maximum 4 year loan term and a maximum of 10% of your gross monthly income spent on total car expense.  This includes loan payment, gas, maintenance (service, oil changes, car washes) and the cost to insurance the car.

Using this rule 20/40/10 rule:  A person would need a $162,000 annual income to afford to buy and own a new Corvette.  If you need anything longer than a 4 year loan, you probably shouldn't buy the car or truck.
Your advice is dumb.

Also, never underestimate rationalization.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Bloomington GOLD Corvette show next year will be hilarious.

The C8 will introduce a strange dichotomy of Corvette owners to mix with "Corvette Purists".

Because I have a feeling the C8 will have some interesting modifications/aftermarket offerings.
View Quote
Maybe-maybe not. I tried to tell myself I was a purist...but the C8 is just to darn amazing for me not to dream of owning one. I love the way it looks, heck I hate drop tops but this one is really neat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Maybe-maybe not. I tried to tell myself I was a purist...but the C8 is just to darn amazing for me not to dream of owning one. I love the way it looks, heck I hate drop tops but this one is really neat.
View Quote
Have you ever been to a Bloomington GOLD show?

I have seen a guy go irate and kick his just finished 1967 427 restoration because he put a chalk pen mark in the wrong spot and his plug wires were wrong.

Threw 5 years and tens of thousands down the drain because he didn't apply the correct marking on the frame with a chalk pen....

I restored a 1968 L89 over the course of 8 years with my father 20 some years ago and it is a Bloomington GOLD certified winner. Guys get nuts with "being correct".
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You will probably gain an immeasurable or unnoticeable amount. The aluminum frame/tub is engineered to not require the top. I have to imagine it is rather sturdy from the pictures.

And from what the engineering team did with the C7, I doubt you would notice any difference on the C8. They have become rather competent in designing cars for the track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, it's still more weight. And I can't help but look at something mechanical and wonder how it can be improved upon. Stuff like that just bugs me. Plus less to break down the road.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fair enough, it's still more weight. And I can't help but look at something mechanical and wonder how it can be improved upon. Stuff like that just bugs me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, it's still more weight. And I can't help but look at something mechanical and wonder how it can be improved upon. Stuff like that just bugs me.
I would imagine adapting active aero and more power would be the best improvement areas without having driven the C8.

Even an active spoiler would probably be worth its weight 10 fold. There are several companies with aftermarket active aero that tie into the canbus system.

I wouldn't want the convertible version of the C8. Just more shit to break.

I would rather add exhaust, intake, tuning, better cooling, active spoiler, lighter wheels and tires.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would imagine adapting active aero and more power would be the best improvement areas without having driven the C8.

Even an active spoiler would probably be worth its weight 10 fold. There are several companies with aftermarket active aero that tie into the canbus system.

I would rather add exhaust, intake, tuning, better cooling, active spoiler, lighter wheels and tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can be friends.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We can be friends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can be friends.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have you ever been to a Bloomington GOLD show?

I have seen a guy go irate and kick his just finished 1967 427 restoration because he put a chalk pen mark in the wrong spot and his plug wires were wrong.

Threw 5 years and tens of thousands down the drain because he didn't apply the correct marking on the frame with a chalk pen....

I restored a 1968 L89 over the course of 8 years with my father 20 some years ago and it is a Bloomington GOLD certified winner. Guys get nuts with "being correct".
View Quote
Dam.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Active Aero will be a big thing here shortly. There are a few companies that did a dumb active aero, The Canbus intellegent active aero will be a big thing in the next 5 to 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Active Aero will be a big thing here shortly. There are a few companies that did a dumb active aero, The Canbus intellegent active aero will be a big thing in the next 5 to 10 years.
View Quote
It is here. Just needs to not be $6k+ for a canbus controlled carbon active aero spoiler

https://aeromotions.com/products/chevrolet/s1-dynamic-chevrolet-corvette-c6-wing/

1st Place Finish NASA Homestead Speedway 11-6-10 rear camera view
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I have been following aero motion for a while now. They have done well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#45]
"Corvette" will have to be pronounced "core-vetty" now that it looks like an Italian supercar. I'm claiming it right now.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Truth!!!

I hate the clich of Vettes being "old man, mid-life crisis cars". But it is what it is. People think Corvettes/Porsches/etc don't be like they do, but they do...
View Quote
I guess I've been having a mid-life crisis for 25 years, lol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I guess I've been having a mid-life crisis for 25 years, lol.
View Quote
I hear the same thing about my Viper. I bought it when I was 30. Subconsciously, I must not be planning to live long.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"Corvette" will have to be pronounced "core-vetty" now that it looks like an Italian supercar. I'm claiming it right now.  
View Quote
Well played.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

FWIW the last GM car I bought my wife was 0% for 60 months or 3.9% for 48 months.  Only an idiot would take the 48 month loan.
View Quote
Lulz, got eeem
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lulz, got eeem
View Quote
....most Americans are poor.  I understand why.  ....lulz.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top