Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/12/2023 10:19:35 AM EDT
A road map in the glove compartment of your car. A travel map in your backpack. A world map on your wall, with pins poked in the countries you've visited.

For older generations, maps are more than just pieces of paper   they're symbols of where we've been and where we might go. But as GPS and cell phones take over, is map-reading becoming a lost skill? In January, The Guardian reported that three-quarters of UK adults have trouble reading a map; and in 2019, even one of the inventors of the GPS navigating system lamented there was a drawback to his advancement.

"The fact is that people don't know how to read maps anymore. I love maps," said Professor Bradford Parkinson, according to Yahoo News.

It's a concern shared by Brad Green, who, along with his partner Petra Thoms, owns the shop World of Maps in Ottawa.

Green estimates that the shop, which has run a successful business since 1994, has thousands of maps in stock, and tens of thousands more in its electronic library, ready to be printed.

"There is a bit of a risk of it becoming a lost skill,' Green said of map reading. "And I think what you lose is the big picture."

What a hyper-local phone map doesn't necessarily give you is perspective, Green explained. For example, if you look from the Arctic Circle down, Canada borders on Greenland; if you look at a map of North America, Point Pelee, Ont., runs along the same latitude as Northern California.

moar

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Maps are for boomers and lazy .gov employees
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Renter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
It is not just map reading, it is just generally knowing where you are which direction you are going.
I was with a person that was 100% GPS to get anywhere, the think quit working and he had no idea which way to go, I had to direct him because he was just lost without being told where to go. It was funny as hell to me, not such for him.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I love reading maps.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Maps don't rely on batteries or cell networks.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maps are for smart people, they know to have a backup plan.

Electronics are for dumb people, that forget batteries or to charge the device before using it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm struggling to imagine how someone would have trouble reading a damn map.

Even if they're a couch potato surely they've been exposed to the concept through videogames? It's not difficult to wrap your head around.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually like your posts, and assume you're being facetious with this one.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
When hiking I can get much more accurate and up to date maps on my phone with GaiaGPS and it has an arrow showing me exactly where I am.

I've looked at paper maps once or twice when hiking and they are often dated with trails that no longer exist or no mention of current trails I'm standing in front of.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#13]
You're dealing with young adults that have never lived in a house with a plugged In phone. Of course map reading and many other basic skills will be nonexistent.
Idiocracy was a documentary, now leave me alone I'm bating.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Renter.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Even if they're a couch potato surely they've been exposed to the concept through videogames? It's not difficult to wrap your head around.
View Quote

Especially when most nav systems display your position on a map.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love reading maps.
View Quote

This.  I love all maps, especially Virginia antebellum maps to
local VA road maps pre-1980s.

They give a sense of history that GPS never could.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#18]

How funny would it have been if she leaned forward and said, "Because 1/5th of Americans are idiots."
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#19]
If you can read/follow a GPS, you can read/follow a map.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Still carry some folded 24x36" maps quad maps on the forest I got when I worked for the US Forest Service.

The backroads of TX mapbook has a lot of passable roads and such that never show up on google maps/GPS.

Company moved and wasn't on any online mas yet so I called and I asked the receptionist which side of the 4 lane road they were on. The left was the answer. Not north or south, the left. So obviously only worked if you were coming from the direction she went to work everyday.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Renter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I unnerved someone when I was driving with North locked on my cell phone, rather than having the position of travel locked in the up position.  He had a bit of a time figuring that one out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#23]
After reading this, I just put map reading on our home schooling agenda for next week. We have done basic ones before but time for the real deal.

I will probably combine it with some sort of treasure hunt game.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Reno NV is further west than Los Angeles CA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Some company has seriously managed to ruin even something as simple as a map protractor with ueber tactical branding?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Get a book called "The Essential Wilderness Navigator".  

It's a quick read and you will know everything you need to know about using real maps.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the focus of the gripe is those who rely wholly on turn by turn directions.

Because, if anything, modern GPS apps have made maps and mapping more relevant and ubiquitous than ever before. But yes, people can get stupidly myopic if they don't use the tools they have to their full extent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I unnerved someone when I was driving with North locked on my cell phone, rather than having the position of travel locked in the up position.  He had a bit of a time figuring that one out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always have mine set to that. Not sure how anyone keeps their bearings otherwise... I guess they don't care to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#29]

It's a concern shared by Brad Green, who, along with his partner Petra Thoms, owns the shop World of Maps in Ottawa.

View Quote

Brad and his partner.   For fuck's sake.    

You know... when the signal is turned off, some people will simply die in place because they won't know what else to do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Electronic maps are, indeed, very poor at giving you big picture information.  Screen size and resolution simply isn't sufficient.  

But, then again, maps can be notoriously bad at telling you where you are.  Not to mention the age of maps and legends, the inaccuracies of that map to begin with, and so forth.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How funny would it have been if she leaned forward and said, "Because 1/5th of Americans are idiots."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Because America is a free country and people have the freedom to be total buttfucking morons if they want. According to that poll I can assume that 20% of Americans have made that choice."
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maps don't rely on batteries or cell networks.  
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I always have mine set to that. Not sure how anyone keeps their bearings otherwise... I guess they don't care to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just weird.

Do you not have an innate sense of which way the cardinal directions are without referencing a GPS or map?

Whatever, if it works for you, it works.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

A GPS is a map. A paper map is a map. If you can use one you can use the other.

GPS maps have a few advantages and disadvantages. Paper maps have a few advantages and disadvantages.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I tell my teenage daughters about how you would keep a map book in the car...turn to the back, look up the street then turn to page 17 and look in B5 on the grid for your street and they look at me like I'm a timetraveler from the past, lol.  

Still keep a map book in the car...
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Electronic maps are, indeed, very poor at giving you big picture information.  Screen size and resolution simply isn't sufficient.  

But, then again, maps can be notoriously bad at telling you where you are.  Not to mention the age of maps and legends, the inaccuracies of that map to begin with, and so forth.
View Quote

Maps do not tell you where you are. Maps give you the ability to determine where you are. You have to do the work - It may seem nuanced, but that's the way it works..

A GPS, and a good map is a great combination, especially if you can use UTM for both.  Depending on the Datum, you can use the GPS to navigate very close to any spot on a map.

If we're just talking about roads and cities, then yes, a GPS is probably all you need.

Both are tools. Both should be in your tool box.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I worked for Verizon right out of high school.  Map reading(road maps) was part of the test to get in.  My dad, who also worked for Verizon made me go to the study group they had before the test as that's where most applicants failed.  I still remember to this day how bad the people in my group were at reading a map book.  I was 17 and everyone in the group was at least double my age.  It's not a new phenomenon.  That was 25 years ago and pre consumer gps.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's just weird.

Do you not have an innate sense of which way the cardinal directions are without referencing a GPS or map?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just weird.

Pretty easy to get turned around without decent visual cues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most people can't find the cardinal directions when the Sun is shining, let alone reason and correlate its position with a clock.

Or calculate time enroute for a trip.

Maps are indecipherable hieroglyphics.

How many people do you suppose have no idea that magnetic north and geographic north are in different locations, or that they pass through lines of magnetic deviation on a trip?

My confidence is so low that I'll bet the number of people that can identify the continent where they live is small.  Probably bang on pans to drive away bad spirits when they see a string of Starlink satellites pass overhead - if they could be pried away from a phone and go outside in the dark.

View Quote

Mag Var was the bane of my existence while doing the Navigation course at TWA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chances are that you say that understanding the ideas of using the key, terrain features, elevation lines, cardinal directions, degrees/azimuths and vectors of travel, triangulation, Magnetic Declination and even the simple idea of orienting a map before calculating ANYTHING.

It's too easy to use Waze or tell Google/Navigation system to take you to the mall.

I don't think anyone else across two generations of my extended family could PROPERLY utilize a map irrespective of GPS location.  A simple knowledge of lay lines and terrain features will assist with everything from geometry to history.  It IS a lost art of gaining perspective and knowledge to many.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Map reading is simple. Orienteer map to MN/LARS/HSVRD/contour lines/blue & black/right then up/pace count/Ranger beads.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until they aren’t.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.

GPS maps have a few advantages and disadvantages. Paper maps have a few advantages and disadvantages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Hand a state road map to the average person under 40 and ask them to find Turner Street.  They will be clueless.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I spent last weekend teaching civil air patrol cadets map reading and land navigation.

Everyone should understand lat long and UTM/MGRS

Lots of folks still use a map, GPS signals can and will go out at times.

Phones and GPS watch batteries will go dead.

Today I will be in a Cessna with a sectional navigating. Folks need to understand how to navigate while airborne as well.

Join a local Civil Air patrol squadron and you can get this training for free. Just about every squadron needs more flight crew members.

Today I will get three hours flying in a Cessna getting the above training for free.

If I had to pay for it, that would cost almost $600.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maps do not tell you where you are. Maps give you the ability to determine where you are. You have to do the work - It may seem nuanced, but that's the way it works..

A GPS, and a good map is a great combination, especially if you can use UTM for both.  Depending on the Datum, you can use the GPS to navigate very close to any spot on a map.

If we're just talking about roads and cities, then yes, a GPS is probably all you need.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maps might give you the ability.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You know... when the signal is turned off, some people will simply die in place because they won't know what else to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

maybe....business partner?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I haven't seen a paper map in over a decade. I wouldn't even know where to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#49]
People couldn’t read maps before GPS.  It’s a brain thing.
 Most of the people using GPS that can’t use a map are literally counting on the computer to tell them where to go step by step.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mag Var was the bane of my existence while doing the Navigation course at TWA.
View Quote

Declination can be hard enough if dropped off somewhere at the speed of foot.  Can't imagine how rough it would be at 8/10ths the speed of sound.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top