Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always have mine set to that. Not sure how anyone keeps their bearings otherwise... I guess they don't care to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm struggling to imagine how someone would have trouble reading a damn map.

Even if they're a couch potato surely they've been exposed to the concept through videogames? It's not difficult to wrap your head around.

Especially when most nav systems display your position on a map.
I unnerved someone when I was driving with North locked on my cell phone, rather than having the position of travel locked in the up position.  He had a bit of a time figuring that one out.

I always have mine set to that. Not sure how anyone keeps their bearings otherwise... I guess they don't care to.

Oh I care very much about the direction.  For convenience of following the the track I use track up 98% of the time.  I intuitively know what direction 98% of the time by familiarity, being able to see the sun or shadows.  The 2% time I don’t know the direction I’m traveling I just glance at my compass.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I spent last weekend teaching civil air patrol cadets map reading and land navigation.

Everyone should understand lat long and UTM/MGRS

Lots of folks still use a map, GPS signals can and will go out at times.

Phones and GPS watch batteries will go dead.

Today I will be in a Cessna with a sectional navigating. Folks need to understand how to navigate while airborne as well.

Join a local Civil Air patrol squadron and you can get this training for free. Just about every squadron needs more flight crew members.

Today I will get three hours flying in a Cessna getting the above training for free.

If I had to pay for it, that would cost almost $600.
View Quote

Civil Air Patrol is where I learned to land nav.

Now, granted I was from Illinois, but the Missouri CAP wing had what they called “the Pathfinder school”.

It was a week long.  At Ft. Leonard Wood (aka Ft. Lost in the Woods).  

https://mowg.cap.gov/media/cms/2023_Pathfinder_Courses_D84DDA1D7404C.pdf

Somewhere I still have that little land nav / map reading booklet that the Army had in the 1980’s.  It was kind of cartoon like if my memory is correct.

Then in 1991 I did SERE in the mountains of Colorado.  Land nav at night, no flashlights, no maps once we were on the move.  Just pick a heading, stick to it and keep an accurate pace count.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced all the travel maps in the truck just a couple of months ago.  (The previous ones were over 10 years old)

For the life of me I could not find them in a retail store, book store, truck stop, or outdoor store.  Plenty of Atlas books but I really don't give a damn about a road map of 49 other states.

I had to order from Amazon.  $12  for an waterproof map of the southern half of Texas.

I still use paper charts for offshore, mainly because I can make notes on them.

I need to get a new satellite photo for a few miles around the house,, the one I have is 15 years old.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
When I am riding my motorcycle the only navigation device i have is the digital clock in the speedometer. I check the time, look up in the sky to see where the sun is, and watch the shadows in the road...thats all i need to know what direction I'm moving in.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Map reading, and map&compass based navigation, was a "lost skill" wayyy before a GPS unit was in everybody's pocket.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I took a Natural Resource college course in the ‘70’s.  We were required to learn how to read & determine our destinations, paths, terrain, and locations.  Then, had to backpack into the forest wilderness and provide the exact route to get to the designated destination, using the maps and a compass.  Lots of fun. The instructors had to send in search & rescue for a few of the students.  

Then, years later, we were looking for a remote place to backpack and I had the map….he was not pleased, the road, I chose, shown on the map, was a dirt 2 track… It was an old map and an unmaintained road…. Lol.  Oops…
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you've ever been to London and had to take a cab, you know that you can just rattle off your destination address and the driver would just instinctively know where that's located without pulling it up on their phone. It's very impressive.

There was a study about 10 years ago where they followed London taxi drivers around the city while they practiced for their certification exam. The exam is really tough since only 50% of them pass.  The researchers theorized that the parts of our brain responsible for spatial navigation, the hippocampus, would be larger for these applicants.  At the end of the evaluation period, they did an MRI for those that passed the exam and sure enough, they found that the hippocampus volume was larger on those that passed the exam vs their control group.

I wonder how our brains have continued to change due to all the tech that's in our pockets.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When hiking I can get much more accurate and up to date maps on my phone with GaiaGPS and it has an arrow showing me exactly where I am.

I've looked at paper maps once or twice when hiking and they are often dated with trails that no longer exist or no mention of current trails I'm standing in front of.
View Quote

There is hardly a day that goes by I don't reference a map covering places on this planet. Sure electronic maps are easy but I have printed maps of every battle of the Civil War and historical battles worldwide. GISsurfer is cool and accurate.

My son is an OCS Leadership Instructor for both 11B and 11C. They do not teach electronic GPS Land Navigation. They teach 4 days of manual land navigation. If you want to learn electronic nav. it is up to your unit to teach it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is hardly a day that goes by I don't reference a map covering places on this planet. Sure electronic maps are easy but I have printed maps of every battle of the Civil War and historical battles worldwide. GISsurfer is cool and accurate.

My son is an OCS Leadership Instructor for both 11B and 11C. They do not teach electronic GPS Land Navigation. They teach 4 days of manual land navigation. If you want to learn electronic nav. it is up to your unit to teach it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When hiking I can get much more accurate and up to date maps on my phone with GaiaGPS and it has an arrow showing me exactly where I am.

I've looked at paper maps once or twice when hiking and they are often dated with trails that no longer exist or no mention of current trails I'm standing in front of.

Electronic land nav is about learning a given integration of hardware and software. If you don't already have an understanding of the maps themselves, these things become as much of a crutch as an aid.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thomas Guides FTW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tell my teenage daughters about how you would keep a map book in the car...turn to the back, look up the street then turn to page 17 and look in B5 on the grid for your street and they look at me like I'm a timetraveler from the past, lol.  

Still keep a map book in the car...
Thomas Guides FTW

Absolutely crucial for any large metropolitan area in the analog days. Either find the information in the big yellow book or, aghast call and ask for information/directions.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What happens when your paper map gets wet or tears? Or your fiddly little compass breaks? If you can't tell where you are just by looking at the stars and knowing the land, you're doomed.
View Quote

LOL.  Seat of the pants ANS positioning?  I buy someone a beer to watch that.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I still navigate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Absolutely crucial for any large metropolitan area in the analog days. Either find the information in the big yellow book or, aghast call and ask for information/directions.
View Quote

Water-proof maps are not new.

https://mapstore.mytopo.com
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you've ever been to London and had to take a cab, you know that you can just rattle off your destination address and the driver would just instinctively know where that's located without pulling it up on their phone. It's very impressive.

There was a study about 10 years ago where they followed London taxi drivers around the city while they practiced for their certification exam. The exam is really tough since only 50% of them pass.  The researchers theorized that the parts of our brain responsible for spatial navigation, the hippocampus, would be larger for these applicants.  At the end of the evaluation period, they did an MRI for those that passed the exam and sure enough, they found that the hippocampus volume was larger on those that passed the exam vs their control group.

I wonder how our brains have continued to change due to all the tech that's in our pockets.
View Quote

London and a few other big cities are world renowned for their ability to take you from point A to B without having to look anything up. Some newer people might have to slow roll you to your address, but most are pretty good at getting you to your  x,y and z.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did we quote the wrong  post? Because what I said and what you said don't jive? Because I  quoted another poster about  Thomas maps being absolutely essential for urban areas in the analog days.
If you don’t know or understand them, they were big ring bound slick paper books for big areas. Had numerous map pages and and an encyclopedia in the back that broke down address and streets in the back. It would give you a x,y number to go back to the front of the book to piece together. No, the map's did NOT link together, you might be on this page and have to jump 30 pages to the right to find your destination.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I keep a large print USA road atlas in my car.  A coworker laughed at me…until his car radio died and he didn’t have a way to navigate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I keep a large print USA road atlas in my car.  A coworker laughed at me…until his car radio died and he didn’t have a way to navigate.
View Quote

There's no finer feeling than sitting on a tailgate, pulling out a road atlas of the US & Canada, and figuring out what you're going to do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did he leave his flip phone at home? I laugh, because if you rely on your factory installed equipment a 100% of tiime One is none and all that!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There's no finer feeling than sitting on a tailgate, pulling out a road atlas of the US & Canada, and figuring out what you're going to do.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did he leave his flip phone at home? I laugh, because if you rely on your factory installed equipment a 100% of tiime One is none and all that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His phone had a busted screen so it was only useful connected to his car.

It was my first true moment of schadenfreude.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Get both. I think paper maps are cool, and the stuff you can do with GPS visualizers is amazing.

I will say though, that most of the guys I know that spout off about "nobody knows how to read a map" are the guys who have a hard time with technology.

I do believe the art of "giving directions" is gone. Remember having to explain to someone how to get somewhere turn by turn?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/82B9096A-CA6B-4527-9BCC-4C4D00D1B13F-261-1050.gif

Yes there is, sitting in your jeep seat/ undeclared vehicle and deciding, LITTERALY which direction to go.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Maps are an underrated schitzo talent.

Of course I have paper maps and know how to use them, but there are real schizos out there with like 9 maps of the same area which are all for different purposes. These people exist, they are like radio guys. (I love radio guys, but you guys are nuts) where you're like "huh, my radio isn't working" and they'll pop out a laptop and be like "if well clearly you didn't realize this public repeater was available in this given area so well just bounce that to a directional antenna in Maryland and there you go, see? Talking to people in Canada is easy."
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get both. I think paper maps are cool, and the stuff you can do with GPS visualizers is amazing.

I will say though, that most of the guys I know that spout off about "nobody knows how to read a map" are the guys who have a hard time with technology.

I do believe the art of "giving directions" is gone. Remember having to explain to someone how to get somewhere turn by turn?
View Quote
i have done this before.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Of course I have paper maps and know how to use them, but there are real schizos out there with like 9 maps of the same area which are all for different purposes. These people exist, they are like radio guys. (I love radio guys, but you guys are nuts) where you're like "huh, my radio isn't working" and they'll pop out a laptop and be like "if well clearly you didn't realize this public repeater was available in this given area so well just bounce that to a directional antenna in Maryland and there you go, see? Talking to people in Canada is easy."
View Quote
whiskers

brah

i've had my ham technician ticket for 10 years and have never owned/operated a ham radio.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maps are for boomers and lazy .gov employees
View Quote

Here you go, manchild- read and heed:

Map Reading and Land Navigation
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm so old I remember when gas stations handed out free maps.
Or AAA had their trip tiks. Buddies with AAA insurance now tell me they tell folks to go online and print the shit out themselves.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
whiskers

brah

i've had my ham technician ticket for 10 years and have never owned/operated a ham radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whiskers

brah

I never bothered to get it because I know a few radio schitzos.

They're GREAT dudes. You can just tell them you're not a nerd about radios and then tell them what you want and they're like "here's your solution"
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go down Route 46 about 3/4 mile find the Mayberry tree take a 45, go another quarter mile and Bob's your  uncle!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Example of radio schitzo stuff, digital CB radios.

Trucker radios won't receive because digital. Government ignores most CB traffic because CB traffic from roads. So is it encrypted? No. Can others hear it? Probably not. Is the government monitoring it as much? Probably not.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Bless her heart.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I have all of my old road maps. You just never know
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Example of radio schitzo stuff, digital CB radios.

Trucker radios won't receive because digital. Government ignores most CB traffic because CB traffic from roads. So is it encrypted? No. Can others hear it? Probably not. Is the government monitoring it as much? Probably not.
View Quote
i've never owned a CB, either.

still want a CB after watching the Smoky and the Bandit documentary series.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Or AAA had their trip tiks. Buddies with AAA insurance now tell me they tell folks to go online and print the shit out themselves.
View Quote
I remember receiving those thick turn-by-turn direction books from AAA when driving cross-country.  And all those coupons too!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes there is, sitting in your jeep seat/ undeclared vehicle and deciding, LITTERALY which direction to go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What happens when your paper map gets wet or tears? Or your fiddly little compass breaks? If you can't tell where you are just by looking at the stars and knowing the land, you're doomed.
View Quote

The thing with navigation is that even if you have a map, it is utterly useless unless you can locate landmarks that correspond to markings on the map.

In the middle of a coastal swamp with dense vegetation, you will not be able to use a map since you can barely see 50 feet in front of you.  A compass can only tell you your heading.

If you do have a map, and you 100% KNOW you are reasonably within the area coveted by the map, and can identify tiny features on the map that you can stumble into, you can take a guess as to the best direction to go, and use a compass to head that direction.  But if you don't run into any ide tifiable features, be prepared to retrace back to your starting point and try a different direction.

I got a little lost a time or two in the swamp.  Out west, I am amazed anyone can even get lost because of the topography.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is having the right answer to solve your problem, "nuts?"
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I remember receiving those thick turn-by-turn direction books from AAA when driving cross-country.  And all those coupons too!
View Quote

Ah the AAA Triptik.  I had loads of fun following along with one on road trips with my grandparents in the 80s.

ETA not my pic.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not, it's just how far you want to go down that rabbit hole. Most people aren't going to be excellent map resources along with excellent comms guys, along with excellent gun guys, along with excellent foragers, etc etc

I very much admire people with dedication to one craft above all else, who get very very good at it. It is impressive to watch. I've seen comms guys get stuff up in minutes and be communicating with people across the country. You're not learning and buying that gear at random, it takes knowledge and time.

Same with maps, guys that are great map/orientation guys normally have used a bunch of maps for a variety of purposes and have educated opinions on favorites. Furthermore, they buy maps they don't use because they know they would be applicable in some situation they haven't encountered yet.

I mean you can set up systems to recieve downloads from weather satellites. Yes, you can get really schitzo into it, and it's cool as fuck. I'm not knocking them but I'm not overlaying fire maps on terrain maps on road maps and overlaying them with current weather satellites.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Years ago I had to help a 50ish yr old guy out of the woods deer hunting because his handheld GPS died on him, He was lost and literally in tears.

Another one was a motorcycle forum group I rode with from Chicago the guy who led the ride relied solely on his GPS. Just to say now, the guy is one of those guys who people only go out on a ride led by him once and never again. He's a freaking tard. Well we headed west out of CHicago area. We end up on a road I've been on before with other rides led by others on the forum. The normal route is to turn right at the stop sign since going straight leads to a dead end a mile from the stop sign. Guess which way the gps led us? Right down to the dead end. We all stopped. He is fiddling with his GPS saying that they must had just closed the road. I pulled a paper map from my bikes under seat storage and showed him that the map says the road dead ends here (its a 5yr old map). He got pissed when I showed him and told him that his gps is wrong and its been a dead end for YEARS (thers a corn field there). Never got invited to a ride of his again. Oh almost forgot. We got to the rides destination (around 150 miles from Chicago) and it looked like it was gonna rain. We had a couple new people to the area and that fucktard just took off and left everyone while we all were eating. New guys really had no idea where they were. Was a big dust up on the groups forum afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Five years ago we moved into a new town. We had known that main street but never lived there.

For the first few months I would try and drive around without the GPS and get lost trying to find my way to the grocery store or whatever. Streets aren't on a grid, it's confusing. But, eventually I figured it out and developed a picture in my head of how everything fits together.

My wife still only uses the GPS or follows routes she previously learned from it. Landmark to landmark type driving. If we go on some side road she's immediately lost without the GPS.

If you don't use it you lose it. Can't read a map if you can't reason about geography
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
True virgins make dull companions at weddings
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a paper map in over a decade. I wouldn't even know where to buy one.
View Quote

If road tripping on an interstate highway, don't ignore the desk area of a rest area when you drop in to drain the bladder. Every state I've ever visited gives away free road maps of that state.

I also just bought a brand new RM travel atlas book at the local Books A Million a month ago.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Five years ago we moved into a new town. We had known that main street but never lived there.

For the first few months I would try and drive around without the GPS and get lost trying to find my way to the grocery store or whatever. Streets aren't on a grid, it's confusing. But, eventually I figured it out and developed a picture in my head of how everything fits together.

My wife still only uses the GPS or follows routes she previously learned from it. Landmark to landmark type driving. If we go on some side road she's immediately lost without the GPS.

If you don't use it you lose it. Can't read a map if you can't reason about geography
View Quote

This is underrated.

New areas should be done by exploration only. It's the only way you'll learn. My best friend had a job as a courier in college and his knowledge of the east coast highway system is amazing. To include what exit has what, if you see traffic on what road where to divert to. It's wild, and it's on the top of his head.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bro, I got you, State Farm used to give out Rand McNally road atlases back in the day. I used one on my first coast to coast. Got a newer one and it was half the size. Used G maps the last few times but I basically knew the route. I can read and use dead reckoning,  but never took a course. I do know find water travel south/ down river, or find a road and do the same and find civilization.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Fell in love with maps as a child. By age 10, i was the official navigator for family road trips.

Stroke of genius on my dad's part teaching me. He didn't have to pull over to check it and it was one less kid to grumble out: "Are we there, yet?"

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you can read/follow a GPS, you can read/follow a map.
View Quote

Uh ... no, not really.

There's a critical difference.

GPS nav systems tell you how to get to your chosen destination.

You do not have to chose your route.

If you have *never* had to do that it can scare people.

I kid you not, the generation that has not ever existed without navigation systems and the always on internet get anxiety over the idea of having to think about those things for themselves.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/urban-survival/202002/six-ways-reduce-phone-separation-anxiety

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/2/580/htm
Based on the results found in this work, it is concluded that nomophobia is a field of study that is currently in the early stages of research, so that most of the research is in the exploratory phase. Young people exposed to intensive and irrational use of technology are only aware of the advantages it offers and are unaware of the risks they may suffer as a consequence [51]. Therefore, a greater volume of research is needed to explore, investigate, and note which are the most determining variables that influence this contemporary pathology; evidence has shown that nomophobia is closely associated with individual mental health, internet addiction, and behavior modification. In addition, it is necessary to promote efficient and healthy use of mobile technology in learning spaces, in order to avoid the emergence of nomophobia and its consequences.

We, therefore, confirm our three initial hypotheses and can state that nomophobia is a public health problem typical of the digital age and that it is caused by an excessive fear of being without access to a smartphone. The great dependence that the current population has generated towards these devices, due to the different possibilities that they offer, makes them more and more vulnerable, with the adolescent population presenting a greater risk factor. Furthermore, due to the nature of the study and the various scientific contributions published so far, nomophobia is related to the development of personality disorders and mental, physical, educational, and social problems.

When you confront them with having to go without, and they start getting into the practical nuts and bolts of daily life without, they realize they are mentally unequipped.

It's almost no different than if you took most of us and dumped us in the woods with nothing but the clothes on your back and NO tools ~100 miles from any civilization. Or for you guys who are equipped for that, the same as if you got dumped somewhere where your skills meant zilch.

If they never have to think about it, they'll laugh and scoff.

Just like how the stupid city slicker laughs and scoffs about things they never have to do just to live.

Navigation systems have made a generation of humans who don't have to know how to choose a route to get somewhere.

A map won't teach you how to do that. It just makes it easier TO do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can tell if someone is above a general age if they remember the phone number of the house they lived in during their elementary school years.

We really did have a mental rolodex of phone numbers. That's not just a meme or a joke.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You can tell if someone is above a general age if they remember the phone number of the house they lived in during their elementary school years.

We really did have a mental rolodex of phone numbers. That's not just a meme or a joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gives us all a ready repository of 3,4,7, and 10-digit PINs to use, though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Own a bunch of plastic covered maps.

Also own a couple of gps's.
Page / 4
Top Top