Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer and kids help Ned Flanders clear out his house of his dead wife's belongings. They start stomping picture frames into the hefty bags and throwing precious memories into a wood chipper. One of my top ten favorite scenes from the Simpsons -- how about you Dave?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
CBS probably doesn't own that building.  No sense paying New York to store cheap furniture.  I don't recall that Carson's set was saved either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Good.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

CBS probably doesn't own that building.  No sense paying New York to store cheap furniture.  I don't recall that Carson's set was saved either.
View Quote

CBS does own it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From what I understand Dave is a liberal anti gun douche bag . I will not miss him
View Quote

I won't miss him either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

Jesus people, they are set pieces that need to be hauled off.  When you strike a set, it is a brutal, but safe destruction of temporary scenery.  It was most likely done outside since it is safer and closer to the vehicle that will be hauling the materials away.

Think of it this way:  when someone demos a kitchen for remodel, do you see workers gingerly uninstalling cabinets, countertops, even drywall?  Hell no.  A sledgehammer and sawsall are your best friends.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They did that to spite him.

I wonder what the story was behind doing this so openly.

Umm, because they don't care?

It's fucking plywood props, y'all.  What, are you going to keep it forever?

The (next) show must go on.  Get the hell out of the way.

This.

Jesus people, they are set pieces that need to be hauled off.  When you strike a set, it is a brutal, but safe destruction of temporary scenery.  It was most likely done outside since it is safer and closer to the vehicle that will be hauling the materials away.

Think of it this way:  when someone demos a kitchen for remodel, do you see workers gingerly uninstalling cabinets, countertops, even drywall?  Hell no.  A sledgehammer and sawsall are your best friends.

Someones kitchen is a lot different compared to a tv/movie set/props.

Some of that would be big time collector stuff to the right people.

Wouldn't you want one of the guns from HEAT?Or would you rather see them chopped up?(I'm talking about the FAL that he used)
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
This wasn't done to spite Letterman.  In fact, I'd bet it was done on his orders.  His company, "Worldwide Pants Inc." produces the show.  They sell the show to CBS to air, and they rent the sound stage where they shoot it from whatever company owns the Ed Sullivan theater.  Every minute that stuff sits on that stage, Dave is cutting somebody a check.  The faster he gets his shit out, the sooner he stops bleeding cash.  He's been there for decades and wants to go; it's not like he's got any nostalgic feelings for that stuff.

This is just the brutal side of showbiz that most people rarely see.  At the lower rungs of the entertainment ladder, the guys striking the set are the very same guys who built it and played on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a waste.Somebody would have bought it.

I remember back in the 90's when my friend Kramer found the set from the Merv Griffin show in the trash and set it up in his apartment..............good times.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110902202156/seinfeld/images/2/26/MervGriffinShowimage.jpg

Haha I was thinking in the back of my head that seemed familer.  Hehe well done carguy
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From what I understand Dave is a liberal anti gun douche bag . I will not miss him
View Quote

Betcha he owns at least one, probably more than one.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
*yawn*
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I would have paid a few bucks to charity to take a few swings with a sledgehammer.  Letterman is no friend of the 2A.  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember in the early 90's some channel reran old Letterman from the 80's. It was a totally different show. Leno was always better anyway, IMHO
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What a waste.Somebody would have bought it.

I remember back in the 90's when my friend Kramer found the set from the Merv Griffin show in the trash and set it up in his apartment..............good times.
View Quote

Bob Sacamano?!

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The union was promised demo work and no one messes with da unions in NYC
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, you're saying he worked in the entertainment industry, then.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Good!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  That sound stage is worth $Xxxxx.xx an hour - got to make room for the next show.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

CBS probably doesn't own that building. No sense paying New York to store cheap furniture. I don't recall that Carson's set was saved either.
View Quote

Parts of Carson's set it at Universal Studios.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This wasn't done to spite Letterman.  In fact, I'd bet it was done on his orders.  His company, "Worldwide Pants Inc." produces the show.  They sell the show to CBS to air, and they rent the sound stage where they shoot it from whatever company owns the Ed Sullivan theater.  Every minute that stuff sits on that stage, Dave is cutting somebody a check.  The faster he gets his shit out, the sooner he stops bleeding cash.  He's been there for decades and wants to go; it's not like he's got any nostalgic feelings for that stuff.

This is just the brutal side of showbiz that most people rarely see.  At the lower rungs of the entertainment ladder, the guys striking the set are the very same guys who built it and played on it.
View Quote

They could have dropped it all on the sidewalk and it would have all found new homes without them spending a dime on dumpsters, regardless of how we feel about him, there is someone who will buy and keep that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wouldn't you want one of the guns from HEAT?Or would you rather see them chopped up?(I'm talking about the FAL that he used)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Props are one thing.  Set pieces are another.  It's all built to be temporary decor placed in a temporary location.  That makes it easy to destruct.  It's easier to simply build most set pieces than to uninstall, store/transport, and reinstall.

Fortunately, firearms are props and can be used repeatedly.  Those types of items are much easier to store, rent out, or sell.

I'm with you on the Heat items though.   It would be a sad day in GD history if those were destroyed.  Actually, you can keep the firearms, just give me a 30 something Ashley Judd and let me destroy her!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
This is standard practice with pretty much anything in the entertainment business...theatre, television, movies...the sets are only useful to the show while they are needed. After that everything goes in the dumpster.

I work in live theatre. I've seen it many times.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He strikes me as a smarmy, arrogant prick.  I've never enjoyed his show, even the top ten bits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are we supposed to like or hate Dave? I'm not sure so I will go with the arfcom standard of hate everything

FDL!

He strikes me as a smarmy, arrogant prick.  I've never enjoyed his show, even the top ten bits.

He has been one bitter fuck since NBC gave the Tonight Show to Jay Leno. The worst part for Dave was history has shown NBC was right to give Jay the nod.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Why not sell it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Funny that they did not auction it off.
View Quote

Yup, stupid liberals.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]
She is so going to sell that piece of bridge on ebay.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#29]
This contrasts with his replacement auctioning off his old stage items to benefit education in S. Carolina.  

http://www.cp24.com/entertainment-news/movie-tv-news/the-colbert-report-set-auction-raises-800k-for-s-carolina-schools-1.2363893

So intriguing.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They could have dropped it all on the sidewalk and it would have all found new homes without them spending a dime on dumpsters, regardless of how we feel about him, there is someone who will buy and keep that stuff.
View Quote

Too much liability to do that, not to mention the cost of find and vetting buyers for what is essentially junk.  If they left it on the sidewalk, you can bet NYC would come after them for littering.  And set pieces aren't finished like home furniture; there are probably a lot exposed studs, nails, splinters, etc.  You can recognize all those are minor things, but you'll still get sued if someone stubs their toe or gets an owie on their finger.

Unlike scripted dramas, current events shows have very little reviewing value.  This show existed to help celebrities peddle books, movies, and TV shows.  There may be an interesting interview or skit in there somewhere but mostly the show is entirely forgettable even a week after it airs.  But if someone ever decides to build a shrine to the show in a museum somewhere, they'll just make a copy of what they want from the original plans and archival photos of the show.  Most of those "artifacts" are reproductions rather than originals for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Man that sucks, I would have bought the bridge.  Despite the fact he was a lib, that's a real piece of Americana that was unceremoniously destroyed.  Stupid...really stupid.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Funny that they did not auction it off.
View Quote

It'll be worth something someday.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Man that sucks, I would have bought the bridge.  Despite the fact he was a lib, that's a real piece of Americana that was unceremoniously destroyed.  Stupid...really stupid.
View Quote

The proceeds alone that the bridge could have generated could have helped a disabled Veteran. I bet that bridge would have sold for at least $10k or more. It was sort of a piece of history that got destroyed for no reason.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Too bad they didn't stomp and break his ass .
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Too much liability to do that, not to mention the cost of find and vetting buyers for what is essentially junk.  If they left it on the sidewalk, you can bet NYC would come after them for littering.  And set pieces aren't finished like home furniture; there are probably a lot exposed studs, nails, splinters, etc.  You can recognize all those are minor things, but you'll still get sued if someone stubs their toe or gets an owie on their finger.

Unlike scripted dramas, current events shows have very little reviewing value.  This show existed to help celebrities peddle books, movies, and TV shows.  There may be an interesting interview or skit in there somewhere but mostly the show is entirely forgettable even a week after it airs.  But if someone ever decides to build a shrine to the show in a museum somewhere, they'll just make a copy of what they want from the original plans and archival photos of the show.  Most of those "artifacts" are reproductions rather than originals for this sort of thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the threads above yours. Stuff from tv shows can sell for big money.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.

The Smithsonian? Seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good riddance you liberal fuck.

This.

The Smithsonian? Seriously?

These, never liked him even as a child.

What the fuck is that bitch babbling about national treasure and to be celebrated? It's a damn tv show, they come and go all the time. Now if he made it a hundred years THAT would be something to talk about.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Figured they would have ebayed those chairs for a quick buck.

View Quote

For as much as they would have made off that I'm here to tell you they throw away that same amount in doughnuts and coffee after each show.

IE; it ain't worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I liked Dave more than Jay but I think Ferguson should have replaced Dave.  I was sad to see Ferguson go because he was pretty amusing.  I don't know who the hack is that took his slot but I am amazed he is actually still on TV.   I did see Ferguson on a show the other day at my FIL's house.   Not sure if its his new gig or he was just there that taping.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Too bad they didn't stomp and break his ass .
View Quote

He already left the area and has said he has no intention of ever returning to that theater.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For as much as they would have made off that I'm here to tell you they throw away that same amount in doughnuts and coffee after each show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be surprised what people will buy:  Survivor Worlds Apart immunity idol & stand   Currently on eBay with a current bid of $520.

Or one of those large puzzle pieces.  About $455
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Should've done that shit 30 years ago.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

33 years of Letterman farts.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are audience farts......all those asses.  Guess they don't air out like stadium seats.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Everything went even the audience seats. Dave passed on his desk
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Can any pieces be salvaged?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Good riddance you liberal fuck.
View Quote

Yes!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was more sad about Craig Ferguson leaving. Letterman was iconic, but he was a dick.
View Quote

Ferguson was funny. Jay was normally funny. Conan was funny. Dave was a dick. I miss Ferguson leaving the LLS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are we supposed to like or hate Dave? I'm not sure so I will go with the arfcom standard of hate everything

FDL!
View Quote

in gd we hate everything except for trannies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#50]

"How can we miss someone we forgot was still there?"

Sums it up nicely.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top